mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Prophet 2 vs. Fat Possum XT

I'm looking to replace my Proflex 857, after some good years of service.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to two rides - an '07 Fat Possum XT, or a new Prophet 2. A LBS is offering the GF discounted and the Prophet 2 is about the cap on my budget. I'm not looking to do anything extreme, however I'm in the Northeast if that helps make my choice (Rocky trails). Looking for the pros/cons of each...

Thanks for any help,

Bill

LA CHÈVRE
    Try both if you can, I profoundly dislike Fisher's Genesis geometry (too much weight on the back and not enough on the front means poor steep climbing and poor hard fast cornering) while the Prophet suits me like a glove... Other things to consider, is it a 07 or a 08 Prophet 2? Lefty or no Lefty? The Lefty Max on the 07 Prophet 2 is great, light, stiff, durable and reliable... Lefties are hard to beat if you ask me...

Also, Trek/Fisher build quality and quality control is not as good as Cannondale IMO. Fishers are usually very interesting and light on paper but tend to be fragile, I have seen a lot of broken Fishers and Treks compared to other brands. It doesn't seem to be the case with the Possum but Fishers often have many serious design flaws (Cake cable routing, too short chainstays that seem designed to chainsuck, Genesis, bikes that fold in half in certain sizes)... The good thing is, if a Fisher breaks, they have a lifetime warranty. Cannondale does too by the way but I trust them much more.

I'm sure people in the Trek/Fisher forum will say the opposite though. I'm may look biased toward Cannondale but know that I have a Fisher Cake too and have ridden a few other Fishers...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dan,

Thanks for the info...

It'll be an '08 Prophet 2 with the Fox Fork...my LBS says no '07's(lefty's) to be had at this point..

I think the comparable '07 Prophet would be a 3 or a 4??

Bill

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh, bummer on the 08 without the lefty.

You maybe able to upgrade with cdales trade in.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.