mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Prophet 2 MX vs. Gemini 900

Hey, guys...

As readers of my previous (often woefully naive and/or under-informed) posts are aware, I am in the process of shopping for a new mtb. My LBS is a Cannondale dealer, and can an order (but does not stock) both of the bikes I am interested, though have never ridden: the Gemini 900 and Prophet 2 MX. I would very much appreciate anything you might be able to tell me about either or both of these machines: which is better for what kind of riding, etc. In particular, I am curious as to whether or not the Gemini is too heavy/overbuilt/uncomfortable for trail riding, and difficult to climb with. Ultimately, I suppose, it boils down to the question of which is the more versatile bike of the two?

If it makes any difference, the 2 MX is priced about $400 more than the Gemini.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Clydesdale Warrior

Good job! Re: Prophet 2 MX vs. Gemini 900

Quote Originally Posted by Bass
    I am curious as to whether or not the Gemini is too heavy/overbuilt/uncomfortable for trail riding, and difficult to climb with.
    I can't really comment on the Prophet, I have never ridden one.

As for the Gemini, I can say first-hand it is truly a do-anything bike. I take my 2004 Gemini 900 up to the Whistler Bike park a couple times a year...I have also completed the the Test of Metal on it for the past 2 years (67km XC endurance race, www.testofmetal.com) ...and in between I ride all kinds of trails around Vancouver, ranging from the "North Shore" to 4+ hour long XC/Trail rides. The Gemini is certainly not the ideal XC bike, but if you want one bike that can do it all...this is it!

Quick inexpensive tweaks in configuration can improve handling for almost any ride on the Gemini. Put a big chain ring, a long stem and some 2.1 XC tires on there and it is good for a long XC/Trail ride. The stock 2.35 Tires, a bash ring and a shorter stem make it perfect for more extreme trail rides, or freeriding...slap on some 2.5 DH Tires and you are ready for whatever the Whistler Bike Park throws at you. Any of these config changes take less than 30 minutes, and all weigh well under 40 lbs. (XC config weighs about 36 lbs on my XL frame)

As for the travel settings, I just leave it in the 170mm setting...it is so plush there...and with a ProPedal shock, there is no noticeable impact on climbing performance...actualy, on rough climbs the plushness might actualy improve traction. The fork (Sherman Breakout+ TPC, Rapid Travel II 170/130), I find it is the perfect fork for this do-everything bike...very light (last I checked, the lightest 170mm travel fork), it has proven to be plenty durable, and the the Rapid Travel II is extremely useful for climbing...when engaged it not only eliminates fork bob while climbing (seated), it also tightens the fork angle and lowers the front end, making it easier to keep the front tire on the ground for long steep seated climbs. In 170mm mode, it bobs pretty bad when climbing, and it is difficult to keep the front tire on the ground for steep climbs.

I guess your decision will come down to what your use will be, if you are sticking to XC and Trail rides exclusively, the Prophet is probably better suited. If you will be adding some freeriding (bigger jumps, drops, etc.) into the mix and/or want the option to take to to a DH bike park once in a while, go for the Gemini.

I would always recommend test riding before buying anything this expensive...see if your shop will bring one in for you to try before you commit to buying it, or see if you can find another shop that stocks them... or try to find riders in your area willing to let you try out their bikes? ...or (god forbid) look at some other brands that are available for test rides and proper sizing? Last thing you want to do is spend a ton of cash on a bike that does not fit you or your riding style because you could not try it before you bought it.

sh0rty :P
    Last edited by sh0rty; 06-21-2006 at 05:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I currently ride the Gemini and like Shorty said it is truely an all mountain bike. Mine is heavy right now (40.5lbs), but as long as I spin rather than try to mash the pedals it climbs fine. Also, it's hard to beat the Marz 66 fork. But I've never rode an mx so I'm biased.

I spent a day bashing mine (stock) at Diablo, and the bike just kept begging for more. With the same build I hit my local trails and have no problem keping up with most of my group.

If that $400 is burning a hole in your pocket, there are a couple of ways to save a lot of weight quickly. Switch out the coil over shock for an airshock, should save you 1-2 lbs or so. The standard tires are 1250g each= 2500g= 5.5lbs . Get some 700g 2.25's and loose 3 lbs right there. Now your down to a 36.5 lb bike that can still stand up to whatever you can dish out.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ditto all the above.

not really a noob
    if your doing 10ft drops or bigger get the gemini
    if not stick to the prophet, i have a gemini but i wish i had the prophet. dont get me wrong the Gemini is nice but its heavy and im tired of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my Cannondale Prophet Rails, riding a Tank is a Drag, the Gemeni are Cool but it is way to Heavy and only limits you to downhill, my Prophet will take me up and down with ease

Stand back
    Weight is relative. I'm pretty excited about building up a Gemini that weighs about the same as my Steelhead hardtail (34.5 lbs).
    I'm pretty sure the weight of the Prophet mx frame is not that much lighter than the Gemini, it'll be the shock that will make up the bulk of the weight difference there. The build will also probably be a little heavier on the Gemini, especially seeing as it's the less expensive bike to buy. But don't base your decision on weight until you know real numbers for each bike. I think a lot of people posting that the Gemini is a lot heavier are comparing it to the Prophet xc, not the mx.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Prophet MX is quite a bit lighter. I have both (though my Gemini is set up for DH).

The Prophet climbs much better...and the MX is very strong. I've done 7-8'ers on the MX and climbed some pretty serious hills. If you are looking for a bike that will do it all stick with the Prophet. If you're looking for something to go big on (say 10'+) or turn into a DH rig, then go with the Gemini.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Prophet MX frame has also lifetime warranty, adjustable geometry, lower bb height AND longer wheelbase. All of these are reasons why I prefer Prophet MX.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Both great bikes, but my Prophet 4x replaced my Gemini DH and it rocks. I only miss the Gemini on some of the bigger hits and going faster on the DH stuff at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

I have a regular Prophet and a Gemini 2000. Both are capable all around bikes. It just depends on which side of the trail bike catagory you spend most of your time. Get the Prophet if you climb a lot. Get the Gemini if you like hitting planing speed on DHs.

Stand back
    [QUOTE=Tom Church]The Prophet MX is quite a bit lighter. I have both (though my Gemini is set up for DH).
    QUOTE]

Anybody know the weight for the mx frame?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dbabuser]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    The Prophet MX is quite a bit lighter. I have both (though my Gemini is set up for DH).
    QUOTE]

Anybody know the weight for the mx frame?
    Seems like mine was around 6.5-6.75lbs with a DHX Air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I climb on my Gemini every ride it weighs in 40 # It not the weight or what you are going to be doing with it . It is how you ride I don't ride very LIGHT more of going over things is easier type . The Gemini frame well hold up better for you for that type of riding I had two jekel frames break on me that is why I went with the Gemini plus It is a cool bike. The MX well climb and be lighter it all in how you ride. The Gemini is kinda my do every thing bike trail and down hill just change out a few things (tires fork) and it is set up for one or the other. For the trail it weighs around 37 or so.