mtbr member

Prophet 2 MX issues - chainline / cable rub

I'm wondering if others have had the same experience with the 2006/2007 MX / 4X.

Yesterday I was test riding a 2006 2 MX I'm thinking of buying. Everything seems great except for the chainline and some nasty cable rub.

Is it me, or is the chainline a disaster?

Is it due to the e-type derailleur? The Thru 12? I would think the Thru 12 150mm axle would push the cassette further to the right. But it seemed like the middle ring could not hold the chain while it was in the largest cogs. Constant ghost shifting, catching, banging sounds, etc.

* caveat * the drivetrain was dry and a bit dirty, and both shifter cables need a bit of adjustment beyond the range of the barrel adjusters. But the lateral spacing (q factor?) just looks wacky to me. The BB does not look like it's "walked" out to the right.

Anybody care to share? 3x9 options? 1x9 options? Clamp derailleur?

Also, how are the shifter cables supposed to fall as they drop past the head tube? This bike has them dropping on the same side as their respective levers, so the cables sit firmly atop the fork crown. This has resulted in some wicked cable rub that will eat through the hollow Pike crown if left unchecked. It seems to me the cables should be shorter or criss-cross before passing the head tube.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Bump. Mostly for chainline. I can deal with the rub.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 2007 mx2 with xt crank and xt cassette 3*9, no problems with shifting ,no ghost shifting , for the front exists a modification
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...echnote_en.pdf

i dont have this because of the 1.5 lyrik , i have to use tape to hold the cables higher

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    it is a 135 mm hub in the rear