Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New question here. Prophet with 180mm fork

Hello everyone,

Looking to upgrade my prophet to ride some freeride when the surf is not good and thought ill ask the pros here before doing so..
    I have a lefty on it at the moment and I was thinking on upgrading to Rock Shock domain 318s. I was looking for the 302’s that have 160mm travel but no luck for a good price.

Surface where I ride is rocky with small obstacles and rocks constantly in the way.

Is this possible or will I destroy my ride..

Thanks for reading yo all
    Last edited by zeroprophet; 03-08-2010 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ve been having the same question until recently when I saw a prophet running on 180 mm domain forks. They looked just fine, so I guess its doable. I m still not convinced so the questions that still remain unanswered are whether the forks put a lot of stress on the bikes frame and if you can use the bike for freerides as well...

Feedback from someone who has actually tried this experiment would be truly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought that the longest travel you could go on the front of a Prophet was 140mm which is what I have on my 2MX. If you went any bigger and there were problems with the frame due to the different head angle etc then it wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yea I know but I don’t care about the warranty.
    Looking to upgrade the front end, if anyone has done an 160 or 180 please post here…

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the different head angle will provide the ground a higher leaverege agalnst the head angle therefore will be unsafe due to easier breakage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The biggest fork for a 4X/MX frame is 160mm. Any more than that would be too much on the head tube. 140mm is the max for the standard prophet. It wouldn't just void the warranty it would be dangerous to ride. I would think a 7" fork on a 5.5" bike would be way too much slack to be useful any way?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I had a Prophet for a year or two with a 170mm Sherman, my freind has been running it on his Prophet since.(about two years). Another freind has a 180mm domain on his small Prophet. I'm sure he will chime in with pictures.

Gravity's Gone
    Do it. It will transform your prophet from a twitchy nervous endo waiting to happen into the true all mountain light freeride beast it was meant to be.
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0129.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0143.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0148.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0160.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0170.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0186.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-100_0195.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Had heard so much about prophet’s turning into great freeride rides…
    wow nice ride nankerphelge

What fork suspension is that and how does it ride?

Really stocked about doing the transformation

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The bike that i saw running on the 180mm domain looked a lot like the one above. It looks like its ready to rumble! Nice one man.

What type of forks do you have on nankerphelge?

Gravity's Gone
    It's a Manitou Sherman. It's a 170 mm fork that came stock on quite a few Geminis so it's perfect for the task. As wyatt said I've been running it for two years with no issues. I even used it for bikeparks & shuttles until I got a Perp. I'll try to find some pix of our buddies with the Domain. Even though the Domain has 10 mm more travel the Sherman rakes the bike out more because it's such a tall fork. I've run mine in both fr & xc modes with no probems although I prefer to run it in xc mode since it's been relegated to everyday trailbike duty. [SIZE="4"]DISCLAIMER: You will exceed Cannondale's maximum axle to crown length. Not only will you void your warranty, but some people would even consider this dangerous.[/SIZE] That being said, what do I care? I also run an eight inch rotor on the rear which Cannondale says you can't do either. Look at the second front triangle where Cannondale welds the small tube from the toptube to the headtube, That makes the headtube so strong I don't there will ever be any worries. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

found on Pinkbike ;D sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the details nankerphelge and the security alert. Btw indeed that fork you used look very long but looks sweet especially with that stem.
    Some more pixs of your friends rides would be great and details on the headshock reducers used to much the fork tubes of the domain.

I am really enjoying my prophet but I think for the style of riding that we do these small changes will help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow what a beast ride Wiewior, not an AM ride anymore through

I was just calculating the fork and frame tubes to see if they match and realized that I don’t need a reducer just a headset… I am correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4563630/

as him. He has to know sth about Prophet, headsets, and probably reducers.

altazo
    170mm fork on a normal Prophet in the XC head angle position? Looks cool, and not to dis, but is your BB height approaching circus bike status?

I just wanna go fast...
    I've had a few different forks on mine and beat on it pretty hard.

For "freeride" or "light dh" or whatever, I found a 160 mm for about as tall as I'd want to go.

I've rocked a Magura wotan, RS Lyrik, Revelation, the original lefty and a 36 float. The 36 Float so far has been my favorite. Even when hitting big jumps/drops or rough sections though, I like the way the bike feels with the fork set at ~140mm, that goes for the float too.

If you go with something like a domain or totem, I would modify the internals (totally doable) to 160 mm max, maybe even lower if you can.

Oh yeah- and just because some dude put a dual crown for on a prophet doesn't mean it was a good idea. These frames were never designed to have that much stress put on the head tube. You're safer going big on a 140 mm fork that won't cause your frame to break when you land than with a boxxer or full length totem up front, guaranteed.

Gravity's Gone
    I can't find a whole lot of good shots of the Domain.
    Prophet with 180mm fork-hpim6978.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-hpim6984.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-hpim7001.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-hpim7690.jpg
    Prophet with 180mm fork-hpim7359.jpg

I just wanna go fast...
    Are you running the domain at 160 or 180?

Gravity's Gone
    It's 180 straight off of a Perp. He rocks an extra small (petite) frame, too.

Gravity's Gone
    I also want to add one thing that people often forget. Lots of Prophets come with Lefties. The lefty is a Dual crown fork although a lot of people don't realize it or tend to forget it.

Zero - no reducers needed. The fork has a 1.5 steerer tube.

Altazo - I've never measured the bb height. It feels high, but not unmanagable. It feels like the bb height on a freeride bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all you help nankerphelge much appreciated.
    Looking at the last prophet you posted made me think about changing the fork over again. I like my ride on the FR setting a lot, tons of maneuverability and control but I was looking for a fork that will absorb vibrations smoother and rake the bike a bit to give a freeride kick. Just from the look of this prophet I don’t get that feeling of maneuverability.. But then again you say it feels like the bb height on a freeride bike

One last question man, how does your prophet feel on the FR setting and what headset did your friend use with the domains.

Gravity's Gone
    The first year and a half I had the big fork I rode in fr mode exclusively. The bike feels great and super raked in that mode. I just measured the bb in xc mode and it's thirteen and a half inches. I'm not sure what headset Mini uses, but his fork is also a 1.5 steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks nankerphelge...
    Will go ahead with the upgrade and will post pixs as soon as it is done
    Since my back wheel is kaput and the front will need replacement from the lefty hub a new wheel set is required. It will be a major upgrade!!!

Anyone know what headset i will need for the domains

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the bike on the pinkbike picture has the 4X replica Frame same axle to crown length as the gemini , only 40 mm different to the standard prophet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast