Thread: Prophet 1

Your Imaginary Friend

Prophet 1

I've just added the Prophet 1 to the list of trail bikes I'm considering but I have a few hesitations about this bike that I can't really seem to find answers to and am hoping that some of you can help.

Some history: Right now much of my focus is upon the MTB race season so my only dirt ride, at the moment, is a Titus Racer X set up as a lightweight, no nonsense race bike. As the race season winds down a bit going into sumer, I want to get something that's going to be a lot more fun to drop down tech trails and to do all day rides on...the RX simply doesn't fit that bill.

Right now, the list of bikes I'm considering is as follows (in no particular order): Scott Ransom, Yeti 575 (with a Fox 36 TALAS or Lyrik), Titus El Guapo, Felt Revelation (not out yet but should be making an appearance very soon) and the C-Dale Prophet 1.

The questions I have are:

1. How does the Prophet climb?

2. Is the travel on the fork adjustable and, if not, do you fee like this is a big negative on longer climbs?

3. Is the Manitou Swinger 3 Way a worthwile shock for this thing? I don't have a lot of confidence in Manitou right now so the fact that C-dale spec'd this bike with their rear shock scares me a bit.

4. How does the Prophet descend? Is it plush? Is brake-jack an issue with its single pivot design?

5. How does it handle 3-5 foot drops? Am I going to blow the thing up or is it going to be fine through regular hammering?

6. Does it feel pretty rigid laterally? I'm a big stickler for lateral rigity so too much flex in a longer travel bike would be a deal killer for me (a big reason why the Felt Virtue isn't a bike I'd consider).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

LA CHÈVRE
    1. Very well, the Prophet 1 is quite light too but more than only that, the geometry and rear suspension makes it a very good climber.

2. Travel is not adjustable but I don't wish it was, appropriatly sized you can climb forever up very steep climbs without problems. Again, a lot to do with the great geometry this bike has.

3. Nice shock yes. Works well on the Prophet although, I'm sure, better shocks are available. Mine was rebuilt for free under warranty because it had a bad seal but after 2 years and many miles with absolutly no care of the shock.

4. I have never felt brake jack too much or to be a problem and yes, the bike descends like a dream, with the Lefty, it just go where you want it with precision and handles well at speeds, corners, drops, rocks, speed, whatever, it is a smile inducing machine when you go down.

5. 3-5 are not a problem for the bike, I would be a bit worried about the Crossmax SLRs though (unless you are in Europe?). The bigger the drop, the smoother you need to be on landings.

6. It's stiff okay, there are stiffer bikes in that travel range but it's not noodly at all. The Prophet MX is better in that area with the Thru-12 swingarm.

You have a fine list of bikes too choose from that's for sure. If you can, test ride the bikes you are interested in, it could help eliminate some. Suspensions will feel different, geometries and fit too. You just need to pick what suits you best. Know though, that of that list, no other bikes have a fork that matches the Lefty Max IMO. It's very light for a 140mm fork but the internals and the front hub interface makes it stiffer than some forks twice it's weight. The steering precision of the Lefty is eye opening to say the least.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-08-2007 at 02:34 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've had my Prophet for 2 seasons now, well into the third. Lefty SPV, Swinger 3-way spv. I ride mostly very technical singletrack with rocks and roots. Sometimes quite wet and muddy.
    Since my brother has owned a Ransom 10 for a month I could say a bit on the differences.
    First of all, I've never really been happy with the rear shock. It has been difficult to get it plush enough but at the same time reducing bobbing at fire-roads. I've just fitted a Pearl 3.3, and with the lockout that problem is out of the way.

1. My prophet climbs very well in technical stuff, especially in the granny ring. With the Swinger it was quite slow on fire-roads compared to my friends Blur LT.
    2. Nope, but I could definetly like som longer travel for fast downhill.
    3. See above. Get a different shock.
    4. Feels very stable, quick handling. Jumps good. BB-height a bit low in FR-mode. Brake jack quite noticable, but I'm not sure if I think it's a problem.
    5. Only dare to do smaller step-downs, which are no problem.
    6. Haven't had any problem with that issue.

I would like to add that the headset is still smooth without any adjustment being done, the main pivot bearings was clean and felt as new when I inspected them for the first time a few weeks ago. The same for the lefty hub, summed up - great quality.

Ransom vs Prophet.
    The ransom is quite shorter in he horizontal top tube, giving me a more raised position. Less XC. Climbs and accelerates quite the same, but here you also have the "reduced travel" and lockout function.
    The Lyrik U-turn is great; plush and stiff. Gives a confident freeride-position with full travel, and still good climbing and singletrack with 140 mm.

So, if you're going for more downhill fun and bigger drops, choose the Ransom. I think its a bit more versatile in that end of the scale. It doesn't come short of the Prophet in any other areas.

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by daktari
    I've had my Prophet for 2 seasons now, well into the third. Lefty SPV, Swinger 3-way spv. I ride mostly very technical singletrack with rocks and roots. Sometimes quite wet and muddy.
    Since my brother has owned a Ransom 10 for a month I could say a bit on the differences.
    First of all, I've never really been happy with the rear shock. It has been difficult to get it plush enough but at the same time reducing bobbing at fire-roads. I've just fitted a Pearl 3.3, and with the lockout that problem is out of the way.

1. My prophet climbs very well in technical stuff, especially in the granny ring. With the Swinger it was quite slow on fire-roads compared to my friends Blur LT.
    2. Nope, but I could definetly like som longer travel for fast downhill.
    3. See above. Get a different shock.
    4. Feels very stable, quick handling. Jumps good. BB-height a bit low in FR-mode. Brake jack quite noticable, but I'm not sure if I think it's a problem.
    5. Only dare to do smaller step-downs, which are no problem.
    6. Haven't had any problem with that issue.

I would like to add that the headset is still smooth without any adjustment being done, the main pivot bearings was clean and felt as new when I inspected them for the first time a few weeks ago. The same for the lefty hub, summed up - great quality.

Ransom vs Prophet.
    The ransom is quite shorter in he horizontal top tube, giving me a more raised position. Less XC. Climbs and accelerates quite the same, but here you also have the "reduced travel" and lockout function.
    The Lyrik U-turn is great; plush and stiff. Gives a confident freeride-position with full travel, and still good climbing and singletrack with 140 mm.

So, if you're going for more downhill fun and bigger drops, choose the Ransom. I think its a bit more versatile in that end of the scale. It doesn't come short of the Prophet in any other areas.
    Thanks for the info!

Anyone have any other comparisons?
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.