mtbr member
    Nov 2005

propheat headset bearings

I need to replace the bearings of my headset (grinding feeling when turning)
    does anyone know the size (or identification number) of the bearings?
    since I am from Slovakia (east europe) and between me and my wife we have two cannondale prophets 2000, i want to get the parts ahead of the time, I am also getting the bearings for the swing arm pivot and for front hub - but for these bearings I have already found the identification.
    I know I can buy original bearings but it is rather complicated (nobody wants to ship to eastern europe) - and there is no "LBS" here that even wants to deal with c´dale bikes.

also I need the green spring for my wife´s lefty max 140 (carbon) - she has the red one now and its way too stiff for her. Again the same problem with shipping. Any ideas?
    peter

Ridin' dirty!
    Hi Peter.
    I checked a couple of spare HeadShok bearings I have (All cannondale HeadShok bearings are the same size) but none of them actually has an id number on them.
    Here are the measurements though:
    Outer diameter is:50.8mm
    Inner diameter is: 39.8mm
    Thickness is: 7mm
    I don't know if they're cannondale only bearings, so you might want to check with a local machine shop to see if they can order some for you.
    I bet Mendon can ship something to you. If not you can have them sent to my address and I'll forward them to your country.
    Same goes for your spring.
    Happy trails.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    Here's a European online dealer specialized in a lot of cannondale specific parts and they aren't too expensive either.
    http://www.bestbike.de/catalog/defau...=1&language=en
    I bet they'll ship to your country.
    Let us know how it worked out for you Buddy.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Hi Peter.
    I checked a couple of spare HeadShok bearings I have (All cannondale HeadShok bearings are the same size) but none of them actually has an id number on them.
    Here are the measurements though:
    Outer diameter is:50.8mm
    Inner diameter is: 39.8mm
    Thickness is: 7mm
    I don't know if they're cannondale only bearings, so you might want to check with a local machine shop to see if they can order some for you.
    I bet Mendon can ship something to you. If not you can have them sent to my address and I'll forward them to your country.
    Same goes for your spring.
    Happy trails.
    thanks a lot, will try to find the bearings locally first, as for the spring, I will have to figure out something as the local "exclusive" dealer for cannondale in Slovakia has not been able to order the spring for 3 months (forgot then too small an order - have to wait for more orders, then forgot again - finally I got fed up).
    I am a big fan of cannondales - for one thing prophet is the first all around full suspension bike that can support my weight and provide efficient suspension without weighing 40 pounds, and then - I have feelings for all US made products - I went to school in US :-).
    thanks a lot again
    peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    good luck to you.

anyone know how DIY the bearings are to remove/install, mine are creaking more and more but my LBS says don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    good luck to you.

anyone know how DIY the bearings are to remove/install, mine are creaking more and more but my LBS says don't worry about it.
    Replaced mine a few months back after my LBS refused to do it. There not a Cannondale dealer and said only dealers had the know how to do it!!
    I had no real problems, the lower bearing was a well tight fit but if you take your time and go easy you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Always wondered how the bearings are preloaded or if they even need to be. The steerer tube doesn't have a star nut.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cau, mozes ich poslat na moju adresu v USA a ja ti ich poslem. Mozno pojdem do LBS ale neviem kedy a tak by som ti to mohol kupit, len ako pisem neviem kedy...a ci to budu mat prave na sklade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nonojoe
    Cau, mozes ich poslat na moju adresu v USA a ja ti ich poslem. Mozno pojdem do LBS ale neviem kedy a tak by som ti to mohol kupit, len ako pisem neviem kedy...a ci to budu mat prave na sklade.

that's what I thought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nonojoe
    servus, diky za ponuku, kde si v USA?, tie loziska som uz zohnal aj doma, aj ked nie su cannondale ale dost dobre vyzeraju aj tak. skor by som potreboval pruzinu do leftiny tu tiez u nas neviem zohnat. aky bajk jazdis? kolko stoji take postovne na svk?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Petho,

I am waiting for a Prophet frame and will build it with 140mm fox fork (no springs to change just air/oil! ) ). Needles to say, I can't wait.

Shipping to Slovakia you can calculate using usps.gov. I sent you a PM...
    Last edited by nonojoe; 10-21-2007 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The headseat bearings have a number on them- R543DDX1.
    Brian