mtbr member
    May 2006

Proper axle-to-crown for 1995 Pepperoni fork

I have a 1995 M800 Beast of the East, which originally came with the Pepperoni fork (1 1/8" dia). Does anyone know where I can find the proper orginal axle-to-crown and rake, etc. for this fork? I don't have the original fork and would like to find something comprable.

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a 95 with the pepperoni - I can measure it for you

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Actually - looking here - http://vintagecannondale.com/year/1995/1995.pdf

Page 54, you can find all the frame measurements per the catalog for that frame. It doesn't have a axle to crown spec, but it does list the fork rake at 1.8" or 4.5cm.

Just for shiggles - if yours is a Silver 20", would you be interested in selling?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
    Actually - looking here - http://vintagecannondale.com/year/1995/1995.pdf

Page 54, you can find all the frame measurements per the catalog for that frame. It doesn't have a axle to crown spec, but it does list the fork rake at 1.8" or 4.5cm.

Just for shiggles - if yours is a Silver 20", would you be interested in selling?
    Thanks I saw that but somehow missed the rake number. There's probably a way to determine the axle-to-crown with the other numbers and a little geometry, isn't there....

If you can measure it that would be great as well.

mtbr member
    I've got a black 1 1/8 pepperoni laying around and I have always wondered the vintage. I'll measure mine as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    somewhere in there they went from the curved pepperoni to the straight legged p-bone. Or the 2 may have existed concurrently, who knows.

Edit - looking at the catalog, the 96 bikes had the straight legged rigid forks.

Heck my first 95's front end was so light with the pepperoni, that I had to put a Judy XC on the front to keep the front end on the ground while climbing. I miss that bike - the 95 I have now is an 18" and is too small, I bought it just for the sentimental value a few years later.

mtbr member
    somewhere in there they went from the curved pepperoni to the straight legged p-bone. Or the 2 may have existed concurrently, who knows.
    I have a curved 1 1/4 pepperoni off of my 93 KV and the 1 1/8 is p-bone straight. Good question

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Funny you should mention Judy XC, I bought this with a Judy SL (1996 I think), and have since put on a 100mm travel (Magura Asgard) that really messed up the geometry.

The Judy needs springs or new elastomers or that Air Upgrade, which is why I got rid of it in the first place. I'm considering going to a rigid fork similar to the pepperoni.

Anyone interested in selling theirs that they have "laying around" ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerjett
    Funny you should mention Judy XC, I bought this with a Judy SL (1996 I think), and have since put on a 100mm travel (Magura Asgard) that really messed up the geometry.

The Judy needs springs or new elastomers or that Air Upgrade, which is why I got rid of it in the first place. I'm considering going to a rigid fork similar to the pepperoni.

Anyone interested in selling theirs that they have "laying around" ??
    I will get spec's and a picture of the 1 1/8 pepperoni and post tomorrow if interested

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    soccer. check your PM's.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Somehow missed this question earlier, yes I would consider selling, but it's a red 18", sorry......

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm also interested to know... I just dusted off my 1995 Killer V frame - used to have Manitou 4's but the elastomers have long been shot. Now I'm looking into purchasing a rigid fork (not necessarily pepperoni) and want to put this bike back into service as a SS/commuter/frankenbike/rainy day project etc... The 95 catalog says that the frame is designed to run suspension forks without compromising geometry (not sure exactly how that general statement applies). I'm trying to figure out what rake and crown-axle length I should be looking at to keep the geometry good.

mtbr member
    Pepperoni 1 1/8 400mm crown to axle, still don't know what year it is off of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My best guess is it's off of a 96 Killer V500. That bike was available in the metallic black/silver decals. I'm bored at work and leafing through all of the old catalogs on vintagecannondale.com I can't find any other bikes 95-99 that had that fork and that paint scheme. In 99 the only digid MTB they sold was the M400, and it had the normal curved fork. , and a M400 and M300 in 2000 - looks like the high-end rigid hardtail died in 98.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks. Is that a Pepperoni or P-Bone and are they really any different?
    So, I probably need approx. 45mm rake and 400mm a-t-c. This fork might not be a bad option then, sounds like its in the ballpark (45mm / 391mm):
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tain+Fork.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I measured mine - although I'm not 100% sure where I'm supposed to be measuring at on the fork. From center of the axle in a straight line to where the race presses onto the steer tube is 15.5 in, or 393mm. That was done with a tapemeasure, so allow for a little variance - but it seems to jive with mtbidwell came up with . The Catalogs for both forks agree on the rake.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks everyone for all your help. That Tange fork linked in my last post seems to be just about the specs I would need.

Thanks!