mtbr member
    Feb 2011

PROJECT Cannondale Scalpel Team Replica

Picked up a new project today. One of the snowiest day in Seattle this year...but worth the trip to pick it up. Now a couple of issues to fix, so let me know your thoughts.

Carbon SL Lefty: completely blown. Previous owner said he compressed down on a paved road, the seal blew and it never came back up. The bottom piece just falls out. Also said this was a common problem, but haven't found any threads about it yet. Not sure all the internal parts are there either...will tear it apart tomorrow.

What are my options. Like to take a stab at getting it back together. However also on a budget. What would be the cost difference to put this together, replace it, or swap for a standard two prong suspension fork?

Avid Juicy Ultimate the brake levers squeeze all the way to the grips. Any instructions on how best to fix this? Thinking it needs to be bled?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PROJECT Cannondale Scalpel Team Replica-img_20120115_160508.jpg  

PROJECT Cannondale Scalpel Team Replica-img_20120115_160635.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey mate,

Nice bike you got there.. I don't know much about Lefty's I'm sure it's repairable though. It's quite well known that Avids are high maintenance. Should only need bleeding.

A little TLC and you've got yourself a really nice bike there.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice! Golden Oldie!

mtbr member
    youtube is broken but search for "SRAMtech bleeding juicy 7". Follow his instructions and the brakes should feel minty fresh again.

Ultimates and 7's have same bleed procedure.

mtbr member
    first thing is to remove the plastic disc behind the cassette! ugly!!!
    great bike, lefty should be a relatively easy fix, definitely keep it. I'd send to Mendon for a re-build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
    first thing is to remove the plastic disc behind the cassette! ugly!!!
    great bike, lefty should be a relatively easy fix, definitely keep it. I'd send to Mendon for a re-build.
    Do you have a recommended way to remove that plastic disc without removing the cassette?

Who is mendon?

mtbr member
    the easiest way is to remove the cassette obviously, but I assume you don't have the correct tools? If that's the case you can just take to it with some side cutters and hack away, just watch you don't scratch the spokes etc.

Craig - Mendon Cycle Smith - is a great lefty repair shop in the US, he is on these boards a lot and really looks after people, best thing is to do a quick google or search on here for the shop and get in touch.

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    Nice find! Any chance you'd rather not fool with fixing it up? lol
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP