Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Project Cannondale.

Good afternoon all,

I managed to pick up a beautiful F800 off of eBay for a good price, it's got the Left 130 Max on it, Eastern Carbon Monkey Lites, SOG seat and post, and Tektro Auriga Pro brakes. It has mostly Shimano Deore XT drivechain.

I want to build the bike for Single track and get it as light as possible.

I've already done a few minor changes, put on some Continental Race King 2.0 (folding) tires, and some SRAM light weight locking grips. I'm planning on building some new wheels. Possibley Project321 hubs with a carbon rim. I've already got some decent spokes I can re-use. I'm also thinking about getting some Hope Race X2 brakes, but I've read Hope are releasing some new brakes soon so might hold on for that. I'm also debating switching to a SRAM drive chain.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by BoostN7; 12-23-2010 at 01:24 AM.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Anyone out there?

I've just ordered my Hope Race X2's.

I'm debating what Sram set to go for. I know you can mix and match but I would like a complete set. I think the X9 would suit me just fine but for some reason I'm tempted to get the X0 or an XX. I regard myself as a competent cyclist and am looking forward to doing some trials and races next year, but would XX be overkill?

Also I've ordered the Hope Lefty stem, was hard to find one as they're now discontinued (I think).

I will take some pics after my brakes and stem are on, we all like pictures

Ridin' dirty!
    Looks like it'll be a nice bike once you're done.
    I just believe that the lefty max might be overkill for a cc rig and might put too much stress on your frame especially in the head tube area....not to mention the geometry change....
    I hear you about the xo/xx stuff......most of us would be fine with x9 stuff but having high end components always feels better and is kinda re-assuring that it'll last longer..
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    As I said the Lefty max came on the bike when I got it. I thought the lefty max was a vast improvement on the standard lefty? I think the guy that owned it before me paid alot of money for it. Coil is a lot better than air right?

Geometry wise, I find the bike a lot more comfatable to ride than my Dad's standard F800. But to be honest I didn't realise the Lefty Max would change it at all.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Well my Hope stem came yesterday, only trouble is, my Monkey lite's a too small for them! I'm left with to choices.

1. Be responsible, send them back and get your money back.
    2. But some new Easton MonkeyLite CNT SL's.

Obviously I'm going for the latter, it's christmas after all right?

I took her out for a quick night ride last night and took a quick snap. I know it's low quality but I will some better pictures this afternoon after the new bars, brakes and stem is on.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    you need a black Lefty as mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That looks gorgeous!

I'm gonna keep the Lefty Max to be honest, I'll probably get it sprayed though. Will be one of the last things I do.

mtbr member
    Good evening all,

Got a bit of an update, my shiney new Monkey Lites came today, they don't look as good as the previous bars but I prefer the shape of them, and they certainly feel nicer. That's probably down to the new Hope Stem as well though.

Both the bars and the stem are shorter to that what was previously on there, so the bike feels a bit more responsive now.

I got some Hope Race X2's on the way, Hope don't open until the 4th so will have to wait till next week to get those on....

Anyway, enough talk. Here are the pictures..

The bikes, starting to come together nicely, you can see my Dad's F800 and his old Cannondale, he says it's around 15 years old, but we don't know what it is.

New Hope Stem, I love it! You can see the Cannondale multi-tool poking out the head tube, really neat little gadget that.

Recently added the Hope decals, got to support the boys down at Hope, they're top notch!

The new bars, and my cheap lights, just for riding to my GF's they're bright enough for now. I want Stella's though

Her name is Rosey by the way......

Any thoughts feedback? I'm still new to this!

mtbr member
    Evening all,

Got another update for those following the thread (if any).

Got the Hope Tech X2's fitted, they are remarkable brakes. Very very pleased with them. A huge upgrade.

Took her for a spin on Saturday, 14 mile ride down my local trails and the bike felt really good. Really please with the progress so far.

Now I need to decide on my next upgrade. Might need some help here.

Option A. Drivetrain,

Sram XX Chainset
    Sram XX Trigger Shifters
    Sram XX Rear mech
    Sram XX Front mech
    Sram X9 Cassette
    Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket.

Option B. Wheels

Hubs - I want matching front and rear hubs, possibly Project 321 hubs. The rear hub is a bit too heavy for the money. I would definitely upgrade to ceramic bearings in the front hub.

ZTR Lightweight Olympic Rims
    DT Swiss Spokes (not sure what type yet)
    Hope Floating Rotors (6 bolt)

Any advice would be appreciate, I just can't decide!

Hope Tech X2 lever with Union Jack Master cylinder cap.

X2 Calliper and Hope 4 Bolt rotors. When I upgrade my wheels I'll buy the 6 bolt floating rotors.

Dirty Cannondale <3

mtbr member
    I'd go with the XT cassette over the X9 and would just get some stan's rims laced to ztr hubs. Or maybe DT Swiss 240s hubs if you have the money.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17
    I'd go with the XT cassette over the X9 and would just get some stan's rims laced to ztr hubs. Or maybe DT Swiss 240s hubs if you have the money.
    I 2nd that
    Get some nice wheels first!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    I think the Stan ZTR rims are a definite cert at the moment. Don't know if I should get ZTR Olympics or ZTR Flow's, I'll probably buy which ever one is lightest....

I rang Hope today to see if they made a Lefty hub and they don't which sucks. I might just go for the Project321 hubs.

Cassette wise, I already have a Shimano XT Cassette. I would rather buy a compelte group set (minus the brakes) and run that.

mtbr member
    I have Stan's rims on two of my Cannondales both sets with Cannondale Lefty front hubs and Hope Pro II rear hubs. I've been really happy with the Hope Pro II rear hubs...

BTW, sweet F800!
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    What Stans did you get? What ones would you recommend? I might something really light! I've been looking at the Stan's ZTR Olympic rims. They're no longer on Notubes.com though, I wonder if they've been super-seeded by a better model?

As far as hubs are concerned, call me a tart but I want matching hubs /blush

Thanks, she's a work in progress and will only get better. What have you got? Have you posted it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7
    What Stans did you get? What ones would you recommend? I might something really light! I've been looking at the Stan's ZTR Olympic rims. They're no longer on Notubes.com though, I wonder if they've been super-seeded by a better model?

As far as hubs are concerned, call me a tart but I want matching hubs /blush

Thanks, she's a work in progress and will only get better. What have you got? Have you posted it?
    I have a custom set of ZTR355 650b wheels on my Cannondale Rush and ZTR FLOW 29er wheels on my F29.

The (old) Rush is here:

The F29 is here:
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Dude, you got some nice bikes man. Particularly like the Rush, do you still have it? It's a good shot as well. Next time I go for a ride I will take a "valiant inspired" shot lol!

I like the tires as well, set's it off nicely. I want some Racing Ralphs with the white stripes through them like you get on Scott Sparks but I can't find them anywhere.

Here's a picture of the Project 321 hubs. You can get complete wheel builds with the ZTR Flows and custom colours if you need it. I will just get black though lol.

Looks pretty nice hey?

mtbr member
    Personally , I think you are over building/spending on an F8 frame but it's your bike , do what you want , go nuts ;-)

mtbr member
    It might sound silly but I kinda like the F8 frame? If it becomes a bottle neck I'll replace it, but for the moment it's fine

mtbr member
    I am doing the same thing for my new RZ 140 build. Picked up brand new RZ 140 frame on the ebay, carbon lefty max brand new on ebay, will go 1x9 with Shimano Saint short cage bomb proof rear derailleur and Stans Flow rims laced to Hope Pro 2 10 mm through on the rear and Woodman lefty hub on the front. Hope Tech X2 brakes are a go too. Already love my future bike!
    Why didn't you go for Cannondale XC3 Si integrated steam/steering tube? It's very light and stiff solution for lefty and no extra bolts involved.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure really, I guess I just wanted to go for the Hope stem instead. Make the bike look a bit different if you know what I mean. I want something that's unique!

In regards to my frame choice, I know it's not the lightest or the newest frame in the world but it's a good solid frame. I don't want to build the bike so it's too light to ride, which is why I went for alloy rather than carbon. Also I wouldn't want a full carbon bike just yet, I don't trust it lol!

The bike currently weighs in at around 20lbs. I reckon I can shave a couple of lbs off when I do the drive-train and the wheels.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Got a minor update for you, nothings really changed on my Cannondale for awhile, I got a new chain stay but that doesn't really count does it?

I've just ordered a Sram XX rear mech, with matching Sram XX triggers. I realise that I won't be able to use them yet, but it's no big deal, I get a bonus at the end of the month and that should cover the rest of the parts I need. I also got the Hope Tech Matchmakers, which will enable to mount my shifters to my brake lever mounts, and a new chain because my ones dying

Shopping list so far consists of:

Sram XX Chainset
    Sram XX Front Mech (high clamp)
    Sram XX Casette
    Hope Ceramic bottom bracket
    Chris King rear hub
    Front hub (un-decided)
    Stans Podium Rims
    DT Swiss spokes (un-decided)

Still a long way to go, but I'm getting there.

Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    The podiun rims are race-day only. Not really made for everyday riding. I would go with the crests instead.

mtbr member
    Ah Ok, I think I'll probably go for them then. How do they compare to the Olympics?

Music & Bikes
    Boost , how do you like the Hope X2 ?

I have older mono minis and was thinking about those .....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I've got to be honest mate I love 'em. There sheer quality is amazing, I would fully recommend them. At the moment I think they're only 120 a piece which is a bargain for what they are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast