mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Prohpet 12mm Axle

Hi All, have been lurking here for a while, life long dale rider I have upgraded from my super vee to a prophet (yes 10 years too late but I am there!).
    Bough on ebay I scored a Prophet MX for a bargain price and now starts the stripdown.
    Lefty fork aside I am stuck with the 12 mm rear axle, can not get it out! I have used plusgas and a hammer etc (my normal tactics) and it will not shift. If I turn it there is a point where it becomes noticably more difficult, to the point where I worry it is bent.
    Any ideas on what to do! No room to get a hacksaw in there and get the wheel off for some proper tapping out!
    Is there a knack I am missing? I do not think there are threads but sure someone has experienced a bent axle or two that may be able to help

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Prohpet 12mm Axle-photo-1-1-.jpgProhpet 12mm Axle-photo-2-1-.jpg
    Here are a couple of pics if it helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The 12mm axle is oval-ish on the non-drive side so it doesn't rotate completely, it just moves a few degrees. Hunt down an old manual on the web as I think there is a clear diagram showing how it is.

To remove the axle, loosen the pinch bolts on both sides then undo the axle bolt on the drive side and slide out the axle from the non-drive side. If it is stuck (which sounds to be the case) it is possible that the axle is corroded to the hub bearings, if so then insert a long bolt back into the drive side of the axle and support the frame before getting busy with the hammer, you will have to gauge the risk of damage (to the frame/axle/yourself) when doing this but as you are talking about cutting the axle then I guess you are already there. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Gibbon! It finally went after hours of work I managed to get a bolt in and bash it through with hits that I worried were going to break my hammer they were that hard

Via that and using the dremel and other tools I made it through, the moral of the story ....

Old cannondale axle wedged in to a formula 12mm hub with a hex fitting, it was never gonna be pretty.

Now the LBS are on the case to find me the right axle, or convert the hub to a maxle.

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Excellent! Those Formula hubs are not very good, you will not regret replacing it with something decent. Post up if you manage to convert the frame for a Maxle setup as it would be interesting to see it done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any idea where one would find an axle for the forumla hub? I am itching to test the bike, have not even got my leg over yet ;0