Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

ON in production for only 250 units

Just curious if anyone was going to purchase an ON. Looks like Cannondale is selling 250 this year. If I had the change I just might try for one. Don't know the cost. If it had a rigid Lefty I just might try for it. I love the concept.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Almost 7k. Are you sure you want one at that price?

I think it is too watered down from the concept. The traditional front triangle ruins it.

Quote Originally Posted by mateo
    Just curious if anyone was going to purchase an ON. Looks like Cannondale is selling 250 this year. If I had the change I just might try for one. Don't know the cost. If it had a rigid Lefty I just might try for it. I love the concept.

LA CHÈVRE
    Love the bike but as a commuter, it's way too nice and expensive for my area, wouldn't be thief and winter proof for my use.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

gmk
    angels get bald too
    the bike is very nice
    but the price
    € 3999,-
    only 99 bikes in europe ...

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It may be a great bike but what a stupid price they put on it if it really is 3999 euros. Sure I got the money to buy it but that would be retarded on my part to support a price just to show off ignorant vanity. Grow up Dorel! Your potential customers are enthusiasts not exclusive vain losers.

Music & Bikes
    It's a "limited edition" , so the price tag is OK in that context.

If you buy one of the 250 CD that the Beatles put out , you would have paid it lot more than the normal 15$.

Having that kind of money lying around ,I'll be all over it ; It's exclusive , and it has internal gearing hub
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

LA CHÈVRE
    Since when are limited, collector's edition priced reasonably? There are many bikes that work as well for the same purpose priced several thousands lower so if you want a good value and practicality, this is clearly not for you. Just the fact that they are building only 250 shows they know how small the market is for a 4000 euro commuting bike. But, kudos to Cannondale to come up with the ON concept bike and kudos to release a bike inspired by it featuring some pretty trick construction/engineering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They have the facilities to produce as many as people want if they are not making each of them by hand. They are simply causing a high price by deliberatly not supplying for the demmand. If its made in taiwan then it is a particular un American cash grab by Dorel. The Beatles would not have been so stupid or greedy. Only record label suits would do something so unprofitable. In the early 70s, the middle east did it to us by deliberatly under supplying North America with oil.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I am surprised by peoples reactions to this. Why get so angry? It is a rad bike made in the USA with top of the line components. I don't see there being a price issue. It is expensive to make and should be expensive to own.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i love the seatpost-into-frame zone

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wow. Comparing oil to bicycles, eh? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say there is no relevance in that comparison.

Hey, this is a bicycle forum. We don't know anything about economics, market segmentation, tooling costs for mass production of this bike, etc. So let's talk about what we know, and not make broad-stroke comparisons that we don't understand and that only stoke emotion.

If anyone would like a lively discussion on the price elasticity of demand for this bike, head over to the Cannondale forum at http://www.manufacturingeconomics.com

If anyone wants to discuss Cannondale's right to price and produce at whatever level they want, go to the Cannondale forum at http://MarxVsKeynes.com

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    They have the facilities to produce as many as people want if they are not making each of them by hand. They are simply causing a high price by deliberatly not supplying for the demmand. If its made in taiwan then it is a particular un American cash grab by Dorel. The Beatles would not have been so stupid or greedy. Only record label suits would do something so unprofitable. In the early 70s, the middle east did it to us by deliberatly under supplying North America with oil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Any pics of the actual bike as it will be on sale? Googled it but most results seem to show the prototype.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try this: http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/

And also this: http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...310-OCD-onBIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    Any pics of the actual bike as it will be on sale? Googled it but most results seem to show the prototype.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    can be done a diet !

brakes , front rotor , titanium bolts , rims , I.Link cable hoses, grips, bar , stem , saddle ,seatpost

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    can be done a diet !

brakes , front rotor , titanium bolts , rims , I.Link cable hoses, grips, bar , stem , saddle ,seatpost
    Uh oh, here we go again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    I am surprised by peoples reactions to this. Why get so angry? It is a rad bike made in the USA with top of the line components. I don't see there being a price issue. It is expensive to make and should be expensive to own.
    The whole rear end design is ridiculously over-engineered and a clear answer to a question nobody ever asked.

Given that it's a great piece of engineeering and Cannondale can charge what they like for it, if you don't like the price you don't have to buy it.

yorkshire mud monkey
    you missed tyres out on your list
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    The whole rear end design is ridiculously over-engineered and a clear answer to a question nobody ever asked.
    The question was "How do I make an urban commuter bike that won't get grease all over my suit and require zero maintenance?"

I think it was answered pretty well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry, but the structural chain case doesn't answer the grease/suit problem. Any enclosed chaincase answers that question.

And a single-sided internally geared rear-end doesn't answer the zero-maintenance question. Any internally geared rear-end answers that question.

So the question really is "How do I make an urban commuter bike that won't get grease all over my suit and require zero maintenance, while looking very gucci and designy at the same time?"

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    The question was "How do I make an urban commuter bike that won't get grease all over my suit and require zero maintenance?"

I think it was answered pretty well!

LA CHÈVRE
    Boy do people complain...

A Rolls-Royce is ridiculously expensive and there are lots of cars that perform better, are more durable and reliable, look better and so on. I don't go complain about it on RR forums, I just don't buy one and live my life. Yes it may be over-designed, over-thought, over-engineered, same thing with the Simon bike but projects like these from companies like Cannondale makes the whole bike industry progress further and faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice! I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The front fork should be a righty.
    Orbea Oiz
    Sette Flite
    Bianchi 26er ss

Music & Bikes
    Almost everything on that bike is a "One and Only One" (well 250 !)

Do you really think that SRAM has done millions of those one sided internal hubs ?
    How much do you think these might cost ?
    SRAM had to put load of R & D for these for 250 being produced , so how much do you think SRAM is selling those to CDale ?
    I don't know either , but it must be a big part of that cost.

It's incredible , we are faced with a jewel of engineering and people find a way to complain , my ......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Boy do people complain...

A Rolls-Royce is ridiculously expensive and there are lots of cars that perform better, are more durable and reliable, look better and so on. I don't go complain about it on RR forums, I just don't buy one and live my life. Yes it may be over-designed, over-thought, over-engineered, same thing with the Simon bike but projects like these from companies like Cannondale makes the whole bike industry progress further and faster.
    Dan, just to put my view into understanding I'm not down on Cannondale ,otherwise I wouldn't have bought two of them in the last three months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here are a few pictures I took at Eurobike in 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ON in production for only 250 units-dsc03202.jpg  

ON in production for only 250 units-dsc03203.jpg  

ON in production for only 250 units-dsc03204.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast