mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Problems with my Lefty hub

Before I took my bike in for the Lefty recall, I noticed that my front hub was squeaking. I reported this to my lbs and they said they would check it out. When I picked up the bike, they said they were unable to find a squeak, but did notice a slight bend in my front rotor so they thought that might be it. I really didn't think that was the issue, but I let it be.

On Saturday I went for my first ride since the recall. I barely got to the trailhead before I noticed the front hub squeaking. I lightly applied the front brake to see if that changed the squeak and it didn't. However, the front wheel was spinning freely so I continued with the ride. Following the ride, I started to remove the front wheel to load my bike (I have a hatchback, so that's the only way my bike fits). Once I pulled the wheel, I noticed something sticking out of the lefty spindle. I looked closer and saw that it was a small spring that was threaded 3 or 4 turns into the spindle. I backed it out and found that it was approx. a half-inch long and maybe a little more than a quarter-inch in diameter. I decided to check it out more closely when I got home.

I checked the lefty manual and found the exploded diagram of the lefty hub. I didn't see a spring listed, so I went ahead and tried to put the front wheel back on. It seemed like the axle bolt had some unusual play in it, but I was able to get it threaded. However, it seemed like I was turning forever to get it tightened. There was no resistance as I turned and it never tightened completely. I tried backing it out to take the wheel back off, and again the axle bolt turned freely. So now I'm stuck with a wheel that won't tighten or loosen. It's going back to the bike shop, but in my neverending quest for knowledge I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has any ideas.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bruejam_db
    I noticed something sticking out of the lefty spindle. I looked closer and saw that it was a small spring that was threaded 3 or 4 turns into the spindle.

That's a Helicoil, It's how they install "repairable" threads in your axle. You'll want those reinserted, definately. They typically come out if the forks threads are either not greased for whell install, or if it's tightened on, more than neccesary. As for the squeak, pull the rotor off, take out the grey plastic seal, lightly grease behind it, and reinstall. Should de squeak it for you
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hmmm... makes sense. I am a bit of a gorilla when I tighten the axle bolt. Maybe I should back off from now on. Thanks for the info on the squeak too. I guess the two issues probably weren't related.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    I had the same probelm wiht my lefty sl on my new taurine. It wasn't from over tightenning. I have heard of a handful of people haivng this probelm this year.

what rims do you have? My slr's squeaked a lot till i removed a rubber bushing that was not in my old sl's. no more squeak.
    one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Has it happened since you got it fixed? I'd hate to think this is a recurring problem.

I have the stock rims... Mavic I think? Unless the bushing is stuck to the spindle, I don't think I have one. When I look at the hub with the wheel off the bike, I just see the bearing.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Lefty recall!!??

Before I took my bike in for the Lefty recall, I noticed that my front hub was squeaking. I reported this to my lbs and they said they would check it out. When I picked up the bike, they said they were unable to find a squeak, but did notice a slight bend in my front rotor so they thought that might be it. I really didn't think that was the issue, but I let it be.

On Saturday I went for my first ride since the recall. I barely got to the trailhead before I noticed the front hub squeaking. I lightly applied the front brake to see if that changed the squeak and it didn't. However, the front wheel was spinning freely so I continued with the ride. Following the ride, I started to remove the front wheel to load my bike (I have a hatchback, so that's the only way my bike fits). Once I pulled the wheel, I noticed something sticking out of the lefty spindle. I looked closer and saw that it was a small spring that was threaded 3 or 4 turns into the spindle. I backed it out and found that it was approx. a half-inch long and maybe a little more than a quarter-inch in diameter. I decided to check it out more closely when I got home.

I checked the lefty manual and found the exploded diagram of the lefty hub. I didn't see a spring listed, so I went ahead and tried to put the front wheel back on. It seemed like the axle bolt had some unusual play in it, but I was able to get it threaded. However, it seemed like I was turning forever to get it tightened. There was no resistance as I turned and it never tightened completely. I tried backing it out to take the wheel back off, and again the axle bolt turned freely. So now I'm stuck with a wheel that won't tighten or loosen. It's going back to the bike shop, but in my neverending quest for knowledge I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has any ideas.

what Lefty Recall!!??
    is there something I should know here????/

Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    what Lefty Recall!!??
    is there something I should know here????/

Only late model DLR2's alloy and carbon. It involoves a lack of Loctite on the cartridge threads, nothing that will tie your fork up for any length of time, assuming your shop is able to unscrew a cartridge that is.......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, the lefty recall was no big deal. My bike shop barely had the bike for a day.

Just to update my original issue, the shop has new helicoils on order from Cannondale. I'm hoping to have my ride back by the end of the week. They indicated that it is most commonly caused by overtightening. I'd rather overtighten than undertighten, but I guess I could try overtightening LESS. Anyway, thanks for the input!
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

They indicated that it is most commonly caused by overtightening. I'd rather overtighten than undertighten,

Worth noting, your hub is secured in place by the rotor in the caliper as well. You'd have to rip your rotor off the hub, in order to lose the wheel. Chances are pretty good you'd notice it, before it got that far

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

IgN
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Dog
    My slr's squeaked a lot till i removed a rubber bushing that was not in my old sl's. no more squeak.
    Same problem with my 07 Mavic SLR and Lefty SL. This grey bushing squeals VERY offensive! I tried both liquid and solid lubricants, but each time after 10 minutes of ride this grey seal continued squealing! This seal even rubbed a small groove on the fork spindle! I even tried to polish the inner part of the seal with a sand paper, enlarging the bore, but after one hour of riding the squeal returned!

Now I am thinking about throwing this grey seal away. I hope that the bearing itself is sealed well enough. What do you think about it?

mtbr member
    Damn, now I have the Helicoil problem. The Helicoil is just barely starting to come out. Anyway to thread it back in without having to buy a special tool?

What is the recommended preventive maintenance? Keeping the axle bolt greased?

As for squeak.. greasing the grey thingy before placing back on the bearing cured it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IgN
    Now I am thinking about throwing this grey seal away. I hope that the bearing itself is sealed well enough. What do you think about it?

No problem, just be prepared to replace the bearing once a year or so.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'd rather overtighten than undertighten, but I guess I could try overtightening LESS. Anyway, thanks for the input!
    You really don't need to overtighten the front wheel bolt. When you tighten the bolt up the wheel is pulled on the hub and it is a really tight fit. When you take the wheel off again, unscrewing the bolt actually pulls the wheel off the hub like pulling a cork out of a bottle.

Once on my wheel, the small disk in the middle of the hub that the bolt goes through came unscrewed and was lost during a ride i.e. the bolt wasn't holding the wheel on any more. I could not pull the wheel off of the hub using brute force, it was on too tight. I had to take the bike to the shop to get a new one fitted before I could remove the wheel.

Also the rotor stops the wheel coming off as Mendon has mentioned.
    [SIZE="3"]Idlefrog[/SIZE]

2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Orange P7 Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is one thing that goes missed with the Lefty squeel. There is a rubber o-ring on the fixing bolt. It can make lots of noise.

With the wheel off, remove the extraction cap with a pin spanner. ***Remember it is reverse threaded*** A few drops of Phil Woods Tenacious Oil on the o-ring will do the trick...re-assemble and ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_hd
    Damn, now I have the Helicoil problem. The Helicoil is just barely starting to come out. Anyway to thread it back in without having to buy a special tool?

What is the recommended preventive maintenance? Keeping the axle bolt greased?

As for squeak.. greasing the grey thingy before placing back on the bearing cured it for me.
    When I picked up my bike, the owner told me that he spoke with Cannondale about the issue. He was told that there is a small tab on the helicoil that is used for installation. If this tab isn't removed, it can catch on the threads of the axle bolt and eventually back the helicoil out of the spindle. It is supposed to be a very uncommon problem. My bike shop was unable to reuse the original helicoil because it was bent. You might want to have your shop check it out in case it has been damaged.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Slr

Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider
    There is one thing that goes missed with the Lefty squeel. There is a rubber o-ring on the fixing bolt. It can make lots of noise.

With the wheel off, remove the extraction cap with a pin spanner. ***Remember it is reverse threaded*** A few drops of Phil Woods Tenacious Oil on the o-ring will do the trick...re-assemble and ride.
    Exactly...or remove the o-ring.... The tenacious oil is temporary fix. With sealed cartridge bearings - some of the orings are overkill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    Exactly...or remove the o-ring.... The tenacious oil is temporary fix. With sealed cartridge bearings - some of the orings are overkill.
    Ahhh... that's what I'm looking for. A permanant solution. Right now, I have to take my front wheel off every time I transport my bike, so it's no big deal to grease the axle every time I ride. Before too much longer, I'll have a hitch carrier so if I don't have to take the wheel off I'd rather not.

So what you're saying is that if I remove that stupid o-ring, the squeak will disappear, never to be heard from again?
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5