mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Problems with '00 Jekyll swingarm

Has anyone out had any problems with their older swingarms? I know in '01 they changed the design. I had mine bust into 3 seperate pieces this Saturday. I busted the non-drive dropout completely off and broke the drive side in both places near the pivot. The worst thing was I was actually riding along, just about done with my ride. Of course I did have to pack the bike out, but at least it was only 1/2 mile.

My LBS is checking with C-Dale today on the warranty issue. They said they had never seen such a catastrophic failure. I really don't see any problems with it being covered under warranty. Just wondering if I got a bad part, or are other people out there having problems too.

mtbr member
    Actually thats one of the reasons that cannondale changed the design from what i understand, i'd assume they would give you the new style swingarm. Sucks that it had to completely fail, they mention checking that area for cracks, i saw it somewhere on there site, so i'm sure it will be covered. I love the look and the lack of chain slap noise of that swingarm, wish it were stronger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I found that service bulletin on the web site. That is exactly where the breaks happened. I just had her in the shop to have the fork rebuilt too. It would have been nice to catch it then. I am just glad I upgraded to that Thomson seatpost...could have had an ugly colonoscopy.

I liked the looks and the lack of chainslap on the old swingarm too. But I prefer not to get laughed at walking my bike out of the woods. Not to mention lucky I didn't get hurt bad.

Now just have to wait and see how long it will take C-Dale to get me a new one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have just been educated on Cannondale's Lifetime Warranty. They are going to replace the swingarm. However, it will take 3-5 weeks to manufacture one and another week for the LBS to install. Cannondale advised they wanted to make sure they didn't make any mistakes THIS TIME. Now, not only do I have a $3000.00 ++ bike out for over a month but I have to pay to have the new parts installed. Of course if a Cannondale dealer doesn't do the work my warranty is void.

Got to love it. Finally warm enough and the rains have stopped and I won't have my bike till the middle of June!

mtbr member
    I think you should try another dealer. I think a decent dealer would do it for free and more expediously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Tried another dealer

I am picking the bike up tonight to go to another dealer. The majority of the lag time is for Cannondale to manufacture the part. The new dealer agreed to do the work a bit cheaper and one of the salesmen agreed to loan me a bike till the work is done. Plus they are building a new shop a few blocks from my house.

What really torques me about this whole situation is my bike is down due to a manufacturing defect for 4-6 weeks. If I had done a 5' drop and broke the part I would have no room to complain. I paid a lot of money for the bike to avoid problems like this. I know they happen, but a little Customer Service could easily smooth this over. 6 weeks with no bike in the spring is horrible for someone who rides 4-5 days a week. Neither Cannondale nor the dealer would offer a loaner or anything to keep me on the trails. Not even an old beater hardtail. I only live a couple of hours from the CT Cannondale location, I would have even driven down there to pick a bike up. Then there is the fact that I have to pay someone to fix the problem that Cannondale created. This is like buying a Mercedes, having the rear wheel come off because the axel is bad and breaks and then they want to chage you to put a new axel and wheel back on!

I guess I should just be greatful that I didn't hurt myself too bad and Cannondale should be lucky I am not the sueing type.

mtbr member
    i'd say your doing alright, your getting a bike to use, and the work will be cheaper. Your swingarm is known to do this and was addressed by cannondale. What you could do is push for a shop that has a matching colored jekyll to take the one off of there floor model of matching color and install it, then replace theres with what cannondale sends for you. Some dealers might be willing to do this.

Are you talking to me?

Did you call Cannondale directly?

Call them directly, with your RA # at the ready. Explain that it is your only bike, and that you ride 5-6 days a week. Perhaps a different color? 1 month sounds crazy to me, but it is possible. Just get it from the horses mouth.

As far as the warranty work goes, paying for the work is part of the deal. At least you are getting the parts for free. I assume that you are not having the work done at the dealership that sold you the bike?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Finally done

Well my new swingarm finally came in and my bike will be done tonight. They custom made a 3rd generation short travel swingarm. Just a little under 2 weeks to get the part and a week to get approved. Luckily my new shop dropped the labor charges. The manager thought it would be good business to waive the $40.00 and get a new customer that will spend way more than that before the summer is over.

This weekends forcast 70's and Sunny....life is finally good again!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bob24250
    Well my new swingarm finally came in and my bike will be done tonight. They custom made a 3rd generation short travel swingarm. Just a little under 2 weeks to get the part and a week to get approved. Luckily my new shop dropped the labor charges. The manager thought it would be good business to waive the $40.00 and get a new customer that will spend way more than that before the summer is over.

This weekends forcast 70's and Sunny....life is finally good again!
    and what do you say?