mtbr member

Price of Frame and Longer shock on Prophet 4x?

Hello! I have some questions about Prophet 4x 2006 model

How much cost a new Prophet frame with Manitou Swinger4 shock? I want to buy used frame, but we can't find price for frame only

Does anybody put the Fox 36 TALAS fork on this frame? How it feels with 160mm on front?

Does anybody try setup Fox RP23 shock 7.875x2.25 for much rear travel?

The heavy users have a problem with setup\using standart Manitou swinger shock? My weight is 240lbs (110 kg)

Thanks for all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have exactly that rear shock, giving 160 mm rear wheel travel on my 4X frame, but it has been PUSH'ed directly after I got the shock so I cannot really compare to the stock model. I have a Lyrik Solo Air in the front with 160 mm travel, too, but not personal experience of 36 TALAS in a Prophet.

My setup works well, plush and able to take some really hard riding, although it's not as efficient as most Prophets you see here. But the funny thing is that it gets nearly the same speed on a forest track as when ridden on smooth road, and with this I mean that although it does not enjoy going fast on smooth road, it does not seem to lose its speed on forest. Bike feels very capable and nice to ride, the riding position is very good. The rear shock bottoms out too easily even though it is PUSH'ed, but it is smoother than my ex-DHX Air which had 2" stroke. And the rear suspension stiffens during braking, but that's just because it's a singlepivot, thus giving a good reason to develop riding technique.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the talas will work like a charm on it, no prob what so ever. the 1 model came with em i believe so a newer should work even better. a guy over here put one on his bike and said it was the best fork ever (much better than the float 07, talas 08). i have the talas rc2 on my other bike and i'm very happy with it. the new qr 20mm bolt action is really nice, and the travel adjustment comes in real handy.

as for the shock, i thought a longer stroke gave clearance problems with the seat tube and the tire hitting one another(?). perhaps a more progressive shock like manitou would work better than the not so progressive rp23. dunno. i've never not had enough travel with it and i ride hardish, though i don't jump very much. and yes, doesn't it void the warrenty? it def gives the frame other types of stress compared to a 2.00 shock.

i believe chainreactioncycles has this frame. check it out.

i have no idea if heavy users have a hard time setting the swinger up for it. try and you shall see h hehe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    as for the shock, i thought a longer stroke gave clearance problems with the seat tube and the tire hitting one another(?). a hard time setting the swinger up for it. try and you shall see h hehe
    No clearance problems in the XC mode. FR setting could cause clearance problems with seat tube. I run the longer stroke on my Prophet. I only ran in the XC setting so I know it's not an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what? no fr-mode? your missing out man hehe. the fr setting makes for a ton of difference going downhill and makes the bike a whole lot funner, though the bb gets dangerously low sometimes. for me, the extra travel in the xc mode, where one doesn't really need it in my opinion, is not worth it if it means not being able to use the fr-mode. but we are all different in our likes and preferences eh?

mtbr member
    What do these bikes weigh in at about?
    [SIZE="3"]"To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine" [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    a prophet with a decent all mountain build weighs between 12-14 kgs (depending on specs) and one set up for freeride weighs in between 14-16kgs. with cheaper specs add at least a kg to each category. and yes, in a high end xc/am build the prophet can easily weigh 11. something kg. it's light pretty light in other words.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    GR Russia

With the longer stroke your rear wheel will hit the seat tube before you bottom out. I tried to get that set up, but the Marz Tech told me that I would be setting myself up for very bad things.

With a build kit that withstands the North Shore and Whistler, the lefty setup runs around 29 lbs. With my Z1 Light about 32 lbs.

PM me if you are interested in the Frame and Lefty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The longer 2.25" stroke shock CAN be used in the XC geometry mode without the rear wheel touching the seat tube. I have both measured this and tested it in practise. But with 2.25" stroke, the FR geometry setting cannot be used.

Klinkekule, I was like you before, I was a FR geometry mode fan. Then I found out that with my ex long travel fork the FR geometry was super stable and fun to ride, but not efficient and nimble enough, whereas the XC was efficient but not stable enough. So I reasoned that using the 2.25" stroke shock with the same percentual sag (30 %) as with my ex 2" stroke shock would let the bike ride deeper than what it was with 2" stroke shock in XC mode, but not as deep as 2" stroke shock in FR mode. I can tell you, IMHO the riding position is really better than with either of the geometry settings with normal 2" shock.

My bike weighs 14.5 kg, which is very light considering its use and durability. I have super heavy brakes in it, Hope Mono6ti's, so I'm able to drop the weight even more just by changing the brakes.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    what? no fr-mode? your missing out man hehe. the fr setting makes for a ton of difference going downhill and makes the bike a whole lot funner, though the bb gets dangerously low sometimes. for me, the extra travel in the xc mode, where one doesn't really need it in my opinion, is not worth it if it means not being able to use the fr-mode. but we are all different in our likes and preferences eh?
    I already have a Gemini and Judge so I don't need another bike with slack head angle.

My back likes the extra travel. My bike is plusher compared my buddies Prophets yet doesn't wallow because of the propedal of the RP3. I use to use my Gemini as an all mountain bike. The quicker steering on the Prophet plus the Gemini like plushness is a big plus.