mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Price check: 2011 Cdale Flash Carbon 3

LBS has a 2011 flash carbon 3 in stock my size ready to go for 2500.00.

Seems like a good deal but want to check with the forum.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    high retail on a 2012 is 3000, which means low retail is probably 2700, which means you should be able to get a 2011 for 2300 or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cityloopcycles View Post
    high retail on a 2012 is 3000, which means low retail is probably 2700, which means you should be able to get a 2011 for 2300 or so.
    Thats what I figured. I will offer them $2200 for the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm the proud owner of a 2011 Flash 3 carbon paid $2200!
    I'm about to hit the trail now.
    Let's see how long this frame will last.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the same bike. I love it now that I upgraded the drive train, I had the well documented "chain suck" issue. The culprit was the FSA crank, good luck with yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SByota View Post
    I have the same bike. I love it now that I upgraded the drive train, I had the well documented "chain suck" issue. The culprit was the FSA crank, good luck with yours.
    Haha. It's so funny. I just brought the bike back for that exact issue. I told the shop.and they are going to take care of it ok Monday with cdale.

What did they end up doing for you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is how it went:

Chain sucked a few times when the bike was brand new. Shop changed out the rings with the "updated" FSA rings and changed the chain for free. Problem got better but never went away. A few weeks that the chain sucked bad going down a fast downhill/uphill transition. This time it tweaked the chain, rear D and cassette.

The bike went back to the shop. I decided to upgrade the entire drive train, XO shifters, XO rear D, XT cassette, KMC x10 chain and Cannondale Hollowgram crank with XX rings. The shop basically gave me their cost on all the parts and swapped the parts for free. I don't know if Cannondale owned up or the shop just took care of me on their end.

It did cost me some money, but the bike has been perfect since the new parts. I have about 800 miles on the new parts with ZERO issues.

I did notice the newer 2011's had a black FSA crank, while mine had a silver finish. I wonder if the black crank was a attempt to fix the problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It has the black and it sucked. Big time. Couldn't believe it. Got stuck up between the crank and lower arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When you compare the FSA chain rings to the XX rings, there is a huge difference in quality/design. The FSA rings seem really thin/flimsy. Good luck with it. Now that mine is working good, I totally love riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the ride is awesome cant really explain it, just perfect! They cahnged the drivetrain in the 2012 3 to XT and the crank is now SRAM 1400 so.... I just do not want any headaches with Cannondale Warranty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnd0209 View Post
    the ride is awesome cant really explain it, just perfect! They cahnged the drivetrain in the 2012 3 to XT and the crank is now SRAM 1400 so.... I just do not want any headaches with Cannondale Warranty.
    And I would love get the hollogram but I can't justify that considering this is a manufacturer issue. Let them take care if it. Bought the thing today and brought it back 3 hours later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your right, Cannondale needs to fix it. Lots of these bikes are having the same issue. There was talk of lots of different things causing it, but the FSA crank was the only common item.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SByota View Post
    Your right, Cannondale needs to fix it. Lots of these bikes are having the same issue. There was talk of lots of different things causing it, but the FSA crank was the only common item.
    I'm mid way in the Big post about this exact issue. It seems as if replacing the FSA with an X9 solves the problem. There are also those that are reporting that the new FSA rings are helping or not.

I just want my BRAND NEW BIKE BACK!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Cannondale flash carbon 3 29er -2012

Do you guys know if this is happening too with the new 2012 model?

I also have a question regarding sizing - I am 5'7 and I have a 30" standover height. Would you recommend buying the bike, knowing that the smallest size is M and has a standover height of 31"?

Thks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not too sure if its happening to the 2012. The 2012 has a totally new drive train I would think no.

I would go with a medium.