mtbr member

New question here. Potential Caffeine F2 Buyer

I've been trying to decide betwen the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp and the Trek 8000. The hoopla over Cannondale deciding to build their bikes in Asia let me know that they currently build in USA. Made in USA is a serious point for me. So I am seriously considering the Caffeine F2. Even if it cost a bit more for what I get.

The SJ and 8000 models are the racing XC bikes from those companies. Supposedly they have racing geometries. Is the Caffeine the "racing" model of cannondale's hardtails? I have no desire to race. Well, I race my buddies. I always loose, but that just means I'm getting the best workout

Is this Cannondale's top of the line, non-carbon XC hardtail?

Should I have any fear of being locked in with a left side fork? Can I replace that with a regular fork if required?

Does Cannondale have any yearly sales? Trek has a sale going on just now, and Spec had one a few weeks ago, sort of. Right now Im targeting REI for my purchase.

Anything else I should know to help me with this decision?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    I've been trying to decide betwen the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp and the Trek 8000. The hoopla over Cannondale deciding to build their bikes in Asia let me know that they currently build in USA. Made in USA is a serious point for me. So I am seriously considering the Caffeine F2. Even if it cost a bit more for what I get.

The SJ and 8000 models are the racing XC bikes from those companies. Supposedly they have racing geometries. Is the Caffeine the "racing" model of cannondale's hardtails? I have no desire to race. Well, I race my buddies. I always loose, but that just means I'm getting the best workout
    Taurine is Cannondale's "race" hardtail. It is made in China, though... and is very expensive.

Is this Cannondale's top of the line, non-carbon XC hardtail?
    Yes.

Should I have any fear of being locked in with a left side fork? Can I replace that with a regular fork if required?
    You can get headtube reducers pretty easily to fit a standard fork. F3 and F4 come with non-lefty Head Shok Super Fatty forks (which still use the ~1.5" diameter headtube). The Fatty makes upgrading wheels easier due to no need for a special front hub, but I'm a huge fan of both leftys on my Cannondales.

Does Cannondale have any yearly sales? Trek has a sale going on just now, and Spec had one a few weeks ago, sort of. Right now Im targeting REI for my purchase.

Anything else I should know to help me with this decision?
    I don't know of any official sales by Cannondale. You can generally get a leftover model for well under MSRP, but during the current model year, it is generally what you can negotiate with your LBS. I don't know that REI is willing to haggle. I was able to get my LBS to come down $150 from sticker since it was nearing the end of the model year.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks! thats good info

mtbr member
    I do own a F3 Caffeine and i'd say that its a wonderful all around bike. So versatile. I put some IRC Smoothies 26 x 1.25 on and its a fast and comfortable commuter, then i put some IRC Serac XC 26 x 1.9 on and it become a very nice off-road machine.
    The Headshock ultra DLR with the lockout work like heaven.
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hi all - I also have a F2 lefty - anyone know the setting for the computer as the sensor is mounted close to the hub

rob

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To Surf418 - when you put on the IRC Smoothies 26 x 1.25 - does that lower the stand over height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softwaredeveloper99
    To Surf418 - when you put on the IRC Smoothies 26 x 1.25 - does that lower the stand over height?
    I'd say, about ", not noticeable on the road.
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Went by REI and they had exactly 0 cannondales. I guess they just have them online!? Anyway, Ill have to find an LBS.

Only certain REI stores carry Cannondales. Heres a list of stores here that Cannondale will ship bikes to: http://www.rei.com/brand/Cannondale Of course getting one shipped before test riding is not the best of ideas.

I'm buying an F4 at the end of this month. Any suggestions what my first upgrade should be?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lefty Computer Calibration

softwaredeveloper99, This is a very good question you don't see asked often.

First you have to calculate the circumference of the tire where it comes in contact with the road.

Ct = 2*pi*Rt where Rt is the distance from your hub to the tire

Next, you calculate the circumference mapped out for where you place your sensor.

Cs = 2*pi*Rs where Rs is the distance from your hub to the sensor

Now you need to compute the linear velocity at both the tire and at the sensor

Vt = Ct*Ft where Ft is the number of times the tire rotates per second
    Vs = Cs*Fs where Fs is the number of times the sensor rotates per second

Then you calculate the time it takes for both the sensor and the tire to make one complete revolution.

Tt = Ct / Vt
    Ts = Cs / Vs

Finally, you have to calculate the ratio of time it takes the tire to move through one revolution to the time it takes the sensor to move through one revolution.

Tt/Ts = [(2*pi*Rt)/(Ct*Ft)]/[(2*pi*Rs)/(Cs*Fs)]

By assuming that Fs = Ft (because both the tire and sensor rotate together) we can reduce the above to:

Tt/Ts = [Rt * Cs] / [Rs * Ct]

All you have to do now is multiply Tt/Ts by the number your computer tells you to enter for your tire size and your computer will be perfectly calibrated for your sensor location.

I guarantee this will work.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softwaredeveloper99
    Narrower tires do lower the standover, but not significantly. I just changed from a 2.3's to a 26x1.4 road tire, and I don't notice a standover difference.

However, your saddle height does not change at all, which is critical for correct pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Somtimes the simple answers are the best...it doesn't matter where on the radius the sensor is located. Set the computer for your tire size, or measure your tire rollout and use that number.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have read that cannondale's will be made in Asia in 2010 or 2011, the present caffeine bikes are made in the USA, with a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

The caffeine frame is the top of the line aluminum hardtail frame from cannondale.

You can change the fork if you want to, you just have to buy another headset, for example the Cane Creek Double Xc-short. for about $80.00 or $90.00 dolars.

Some cannondale dealers have somo leftover bikes from last year at some discount.

I have a Cannondale Caffeine bike, built from the frame up, it's the best bike i had ever have, it's very light, fast and strong, impecable finish and welds, it's great on climbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Went by REI and they had exactly 0 cannondales. I guess they just have them online!? Anyway, Ill have to find an LBS.
    Hopefully this hasn't been addressed by any posts below where I clicked to reply to this.
    As an REI employee @ a C'dale shop - only certain REIs carry c'dale (as the poster replied to yours noted) - but you can always find the one near you that does carry cannondale, or find one reasonably close. They must be assembled by an authorized dealer, so you'll have to drive to pick it up.

The member coupons SOMETIMES include cannondales, because that's our high-end brand, and c'dale is sort of strict with the prices, it's sort of rare - your best bet is just to count on that nice 10% dividend and use that money back to get yourself some nice accessories - either way find one near you that can help you out.

Again, you will only be able to have it shipped to an REI that is authorized - but of course if you do so and it doesn't fit / sucks you get the luxury of the best damn return policy ever. So go for it haha.

FWIW, the F2 is a superb build - as a former lefty skeptic, you will not go back in spite of any teasing or extra effort, it is damn wonderful. And the caffeine frame is superb, great ride very fun to pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing