Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    I was afraid maybe he had a siezure with his finger poised over the mouse button....

Or an orgasm. I don't know how he feels about biking, but as for me, I love it!

I though perhaps a sticky key, from who knows what.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That is a sweet lookin' bike...I like the color scheme wid da silver fork tubes and silver swingarm. Mine is red with yeller lettering...I'm trying to decide what color to paint the swingarm, what color rims, etc. I don't want to tear the whole thing down yet and repaint the frame, but I need something to do this winter. I'm doing the frontend now and will do the rear next. I'll probly ride it til the weather gets bad, then paint it up...but I'm not sure how much I wanna do. Do you know where I can get C'dale decals?

mtbr member
    my favorite ones are: ajm page1, BigToe page 2, and nic page 4

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)

mtbr member

What's the effect on the head tube angle when you use Jekyll swingarm?

What is the net effect on head tube angle when you do the Jekyll swingarm swap-out? I'm thinking if you use a 6" length rear shock, because of the ~1" extra length allowed by the swingarm you wouldn't have any change in ht angle. I am looking at a 2006 Marzocchi AM1 front fork, which will add 70mm travel over the orig 60mm headslop. What is the original ht angle, and what is the upgraded ht angle?

But if you swap swingarms and drill the front shock mount, should you then go to a 7 inch rear shock? I understand that re-drilling gains 7/8" shock length. Anybody have specific rear shock suggestions?

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
    Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

mtbr member
    What is the net effect on head tube angle when you do the Jekyll swingarm swap-out? I'm thinking if you use a 6" length rear shock, because of the ~1" extra length allowed by the swingarm you wouldn't have any change in ht angle. I am looking at a 2006 Marzocchi AM1 front fork, which will add 70mm travel over the orig 60mm headslop. What is the original ht angle, and what is the upgraded ht angle?
    I'm assuming that you have a long-tab frame: '97, '98 or '00-'02. If you switch to the 130mm Marzocchi and a 6.5"x1.5" rear shock you will end up with about 115mm rear wheel travel and good trailbike geometry. The HT angle should be about 68.5-69 degrees. I rode and loved my white SV that way for years before I figured out that I could do the modification for more travel.

But if you swap swingarms and drill the front shock mount, should you then go to a 7 inch rear shock? I understand that re-drilling gains 7/8" shock length.
    If you drill 7/8" forward and cut the tabs you can use a rear shock that is 1 inch longer with no significant change to geometry. The 7.5"x2.0" rear shock will give you about 155mm rear wheel travel. The reason that you don't drill a full 1" forward is due to the additional sag resulting from the longer stroke shock. A 7.5"x2.0" shock under 25% sag is only 7/8" longer than a 6.5"x1.5" shock under 25% sag.

Anybody have specific rear shock suggestions?
    The Fox DHX Air 5.0 is an excellent shock. It's very tuneable and easy to service with no special tools required. The adjustable pedalling platform is perfect for the Uber.

FYI - We recently found out that a Fox coil will NOT fit an Uber V frame due to interference with the swingarm. Right ryguy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    I'm assuming that you have a long-tab frame: '97, '98 or '00-'02. If you switch to the 130mm Marzocchi and a 6.5"x1.5" rear shock you will end up with about 115mm rear wheel travel and good trailbike geometry. The HT angle should be about 68.5-69 degrees. I rode and loved my white SV that way for years before I figured out that I could do the modification for more travel.

If you drill 7/8" forward and cut the tabs you can use a rear shock that is 1 inch longer with no significant change to geometry. The 7.5"x2.0" rear shock will give you about 155mm rear wheel travel. The reason that you don't drill a full 1" forward is due to the additional sag resulting from the longer stroke shock. A 7.5"x2.0" shock under 25% sag is only 7/8" longer than a 6.5"x1.5" shock under 25% sag.

The Fox DHX Air 5.0 is an excellent shock. It's very tuneable and easy to service with no special tools required. The adjustable pedalling platform is perfect for the Uber.

FYI - We recently found out that a Fox coil will NOT fit an Uber V frame due to interference with the swingarm. Right ryguy?

Yep, but I'm satisfied with the DHX Air! Still loving the uber. Starting working again on 9/4 so I'm going to upgrade the drivetrain next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There are better shocks out there than the DHX now. I consider mine a loss. I rode it three times, after which it apparently had a stick down issue. Sent it back to universalcycles - they warrantied it to Fox. Never a word from universalcycles or Fox. I replaced it with a Roco, so I didn't really care, except for the four bills I paid for it. Finally asked about it - just got it back. It was in limbo for four months. Now I'm stuck with it - I was hoping for a credit or something, but it's used - can't get a credit. At least it's the correct length again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mantitou Radium RL

Hello friends,

has anyone experiences with this shock. Is the 7.5 Mantiou Radium RL o.k to build an upper V ?

Thanks Volker

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

UberV w/ Industry9 Rear Wheel

This rear wheel on my Uber comes served up with an Industry Nine Enduro Hub built on a Mavic 819 rim. I have found this wheel to be an outstanding product with instant engagement, unrivaled stiffness and durability all in a nice light package. It was built up by the Mendon Cyclesmith himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He who follows his heart.
    Could you post that reply a few more times?
    You're just jealous because at this moment in time, he has more posts than you do

ajm - I'm guessing your frame is an XL? I'm in Scotland, and the XL frame is impossible to find. There are plenty of mediums, quite a few large (I've had four), and next to no smalls or extra large. That said, I managed to find a KTM orange 99 Super V for my woman.

Still need worked on though.....

I'll need to get my Uber on here to see what you all think of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynorton
    There are better shocks out there than the DHX now. I consider mine a loss. I rode it three times, after which it apparently had a stick down issue. Sent it back to universalcycles - they warrantied it to Fox. Never a word from universalcycles or Fox. I replaced it with a Roco, so I didn't really care, except for the four bills I paid for it. Finally asked about it - just got it back. It was in limbo for four months. Now I'm stuck with it - I was hoping for a credit or something, but it's used - can't get a credit. At least it's the correct length again.
    They sent it back to Fox for a stuck-down????? You can fix it in about 15 minutes with no special tools required. I've done it on the trail twice. The stuck-down usually results from running the shock too long between service. The air slips around the main quad seal to the other side if the seal gets too dry. I suspect that your quad seal was slightly out of place.

So you've never actually ridden a working DHX air?
    Last edited by rw420; 08-18-2007 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I'm so glad...

Glad that I found the Uberhood and by total chance it was too.!! I nearly wouldn't have been here .Only last week I was in my LBS in Cape Town, South Africa, flogging my mint condition Super V 2000 SL on consignment sale as I had my eyes fixed on a new roadie bike. Truth be told, I picked up this V (I think a 1999 bike? - Dark Dark metallic blue ) in 2001 on a trip to Florida and it's been stuffed in my garage and never ever ridden ever since.- not that it was ridden hardly ever before me too I've been riding other metal...
    The LBS serviced it and Cannondale agents just serviced the Fatty front shock and all is Ok! Then just as I signed the bikes disposal warrant on the LBS shop floor... something just popped in my brain and I ended up keeping this beautiful bike with the intention of doing some kind of vague modernization program...and oh, yeah I bought the roadie as well Then I stumbled across the Uberhood and read all the threads, then got very very confused with all the mechanics...so...
    I think I'll just use the LBS workshop facilities for my Uber V Upgrade and Blinging out...
    I'll post photos of my current set up and solict the guidance of the esteemed members but please be gentle with me, because I am absolutely mechanically inept

mtbr member
    glad to see another super v saved!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I want to know more about that custom cable housing shim on the swingarm.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    A Jekyll Swingarm just showed up on Ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150153163153

mtbr member
    So I'm trying to switch to a 2x9 setup and was wondering if this bb will work. it says 68/73x113. Will this fit a super v? Not sure if its any different from 68x113. I'm assuming that it will work for both 68 and 73 but I'm not sure.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...0&catalogId=39

planned on using it with these cranks

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...7&catalogId=39

mtbr member
    Ordered the Race Face Cranks above, Race Face Evolve FR BB, XT Rear derailluer, Sram 11-34 cassette, new chain, and new rear shifter for my 2x9 swap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    Ordered the Race Face Cranks above, Race Face Evolve FR BB, XT Rear derailluer, Sram 11-34 cassette, new chain, and new rear shifter for my 2x9 swap.
    I was just getting ready to respond and let you know that 68x113 is the right size for your frame. That said, I have seen pictures of you in action - just try to remember that these are a XC setup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    I was just getting ready to respond and let you know that 68x113 is the right size for your frame. That said, I have seen pictures of you in action - just try to remember that these are a XC setup!
    I've never dropped anything bigger than those pictures, and don't plan to anytime soon. I haven't done the drop to flat since that picture. Its not a really fun drop, it was just a good photo op. The majority of my riding is XC. The trails here get pretty rough, but I'd still call it XC.

If I do start dropping bigger stuff, I'd have to find it first and I'd probably wind up buying a bigger bike. I did go with the stronger FR bb instead of the XC bb. And I'm only getting lighter. Riding 5 times a week is great for weight loss.

mtbr member
    now i just gotta figure out what to do with all the spare parts! I've got a front wheel that is still in decent shape, i'll have full 3x8 drivetrain (would need front derailluer and shifter but they're cheap), my old v brakes, and a headshok stem. thats not far from a bike!

I'm thinking I should find a decent cannondale frame if I can't sell the stuff and build a beater hardtail. Or build a bike for my fiancee, but i know she wants a new bike. She's picky.

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    If I do start dropping bigger stuff, I'd have to find it first and I'd probably wind up buying a bigger bike.
    I think that if you upgraded your swingarm you could do bigger stuff no problem. I have seen UberV's do some amazing stuff! That is what is so great about these bikes. They can take serious punishment and still weigh under 30lbs. Who needs a big bike? Not me. Hell add a Fox 36 and a 7 7/8" rear shock to our current setups and you have a big bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    I think that if you upgraded your swingarm you could do bigger stuff no problem. I have seen UberV's do some amazing stuff! That is what is so great about these bikes. They can take serious punishment and still weigh under 30lbs. Who needs a big bike? Not me. Hell add a Fox 36 and a 7 7/8" rear shock to our current setups and you have a big bike....
    well in the long run i want a bike to take to lift served stuff. i didn't move to colorado for nothing...

that doesn't mean i want to get rid of the uber. its a great all around bike.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    That is a sweet lookin' bike...I like the color scheme wid da silver fork tubes and silver swingarm. Mine is red with yeller lettering...I'm trying to decide what color to paint the swingarm, what color rims, etc. I don't want to tear the whole thing down yet and repaint the frame, but I need something to do this winter. I'm doing the frontend now and will do the rear next. I'll probly ride it til the weather gets bad, then paint it up...but I'm not sure how much I wanna do. Do you know where I can get C'dale decals?
    http://stores.ebay.com/Zappers-Bicyc...ecals-stickers

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    It's all BIG Jimmy Boy

mtbr member
    I have an all original 99 Super V 900. After considering a new bike build this winter, perhaps the Uber V is the way to go. If I've read the past message posts correctly, a 7.5"x2" shock will fit (along with a Jekyll swing arm) without modifying the mounting posts. Am I right?

Rich

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast