Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    duplicated
    Last edited by Baker921; 09-12-2007 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info guys. Maybe the ebay gods will smile on me. My last attempt bagged me a 96 carbon which I realised wasn't suitable. Sad ending long story short I built it up as a lightweight trail bike and my wife pinched it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    duplicated
    Last edited by Baker921; 09-12-2007 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    duplicated
    Last edited by Baker921; 09-12-2007 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    duplicated
    Last edited by Baker921; 09-12-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    Hey everyone. I'm considering moving up to disc brakes. Mendon recommended to me that I should look at the Avid BB 5 or 7 mech discs. For you guys with hydraulics, are they a pain in the ass? The cable routing looks very wonky from what I can tell. Do you ever get the lines caught in your pedals or on anything else on the trail?
    Bump

mtbr member
    Hey everyone. I'm considering moving up to disc brakes. Mendon recommended to me that I should look at the Avid BB 5 or 7 mech discs. For you guys with hydraulics, are they a pain in the ass? The cable routing looks very wonky from what I can tell. Do you ever get the lines caught in your pedals or on anything else on the trail?
    I can't help you with questions on hydraulics, but I've got nothing but love for my BB7s. So easy to install and setup and I've been satisfied with their stopping power. I've ridden some pretty steep stuff out here in CO and I just have the 160mm rotors and still had plenty of power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am not sure why there would be problems with routing the hydraulic lines...I just route mine in the same location as the old brake lines. If you buy a new set, the rear lines might be longer than you need, you will either have to trim it or bundle it in front at the handle bar I guess.

My only "problem" is deciding on keeping the Hayes 9 or using the Hope Mini that is sitting on the shelf.

Horizontally Compliant

Hydros are easy!

I built my Uber with Juicy Carbons, 203mm up front and 160 in the rear. The setup was easy... I just reamed the existing cable stays on the frame to fit the hydro cables... the Jekyll swingarm was already set up to run discs, so it was a snap to route the cables and the end result came out very clean. FYI, I did have to cut the hoses a bit, as they were a little long. I can't speak for hydro vs. cable actuated, since I've never run the BB5/7 variety, but the hydros, thus far, have been great! Well, aside from the annoying Avid turkey gobble, etc. but from what I hear, that is even an issue with the cable actuated brakes as well.

Once set up properly, the hydros should give you solid performance and reliability for at least a season, maybe more, before requiring maintenance. The only issue I've seen was when my buddy, who is a novice, dragged his rear brake down a long fast downhill and cooked the fluid, fried the pads, and blued the rotor. I replaced the fluid with Motul 5.1, installed new pads, and he eventually replaced the rotor (although I don't think that last step was necessary). The brakes now perform at least as good as new, if not better. Yes, it is a PITA to bleed the hydros (Avids at least), but if you don't cook them, you don't have to do it very often.

IMO discs, in whatever flavor you choose (cable or hydro), are superior to rim brakes in every way.

Devolution is real!

Avid BB7's are so nice and have tons upon tons of power. Look at price point they usually have great deals on them. They are also super easy to setup. I highly recommend them.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'm going the mechanical route first. I understand the BB 5 is the BB 7 without some adjustments. Does anyone know what the specific differences between the two are?

Devolution is real!
    BB5 doesn't have a inner adjustment knob. ( the side closest to the spokes)

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    BB5 doesn't have a inner adjustment knob. ( the side closest to the spokes)
    I can get a BB7 for $25 more than the BB5. Is it worth the extra $25 to have the inner adjustment?
    Last edited by Mogul218; 09-14-2007 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    BB5s use different pads too. I've read replacement pads for BB5s are much harder to find, but that was a couple years back. Might be more available now.

mtbr member
    I have BB5's and they have the dual pad adjustment(s).

Uber V Cripp
    An Uber V will change what you expect from a brake. It did for me. I ran Avids for years. They IMO are not as refined or as accurate as a hydraulic brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    An Uber V will change what you expect from a brake. It did for me. I ran Avids for years. They IMO are not as refined or as accurate as a hydraulic brake.
    Each is own. I feel just the opposite. The hydraulic made it feel twitchy. I went back to the mechanical's. It just feels right.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Hey guys, I found a couple things for pretty good prices that you might be interested in for an Uber V on another boards classified ads:

1) Manitou 7.5" x 2" 4-Way Swinger Air for $25

2) Avid BB7 6" disc brakes - $50

I've got no connection to them, I just saw the shock for that price in that size and thought about you guys. Shoot me a PM if you want me to give you the lead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    An Uber V will change what you expect from a brake...

Retro Cannondale Addict
    jeffj, gimme the info on the bb7's. I call dibs!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    jeffj, gimme the info on the bb7's. I call dibs!
    Check your PM's
    Last edited by jeffj; 09-15-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Hey guys, I found a couple things for pretty good prices that you might be interested in for an Uber V on another boards classified ads:

1) Manitou 7.5" x 2" 4-Way Swinger Air for $25

2) Avid BB7 6" disc brakes - $50

I've got no connection to them, I just saw the shock for that price in that size and thought about you guys. Shoot me a PM if you want me to give you the lead.
    His ad says he doesn't have the rotor bolts or the adapter bolts. Am I FUBAR without them or are they pretty common?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    His ad says he doesn't have the rotor bolts or the adapter bolts. Am I FUBAR without them or are they pretty common?
    The adaptor bolts should be available at any decent bike shop or even hardware store (socket head cap screws - metric) and the rotor bolts should also be readily available at abbike shop or online (they are normally a torx head and have some blue locktite on them). It sure wouldn't stop me from buying them at that price.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Hey jeffj do you have an account at that forum? I tried instant messaging him and he's not answering....maybe you can forward my email to him? I can pm it to you.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Hey jeffj do you have an account at that forum? I tried instant messaging him and he's not answering....maybe you can forward my email to him? I can pm it to you.
    I can do that.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I can do that.
    jeffj, thank you for taking care of that. The guy emailed me back and said I could meet him in California somewhere. I'm in Maryland. I guess some people have never heard of Paypal and USPS? He may work it out though. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Retro Cannondale Addict

It's Christmas in September and I'm going to get my Uber on!

Check out what's headed my way. Unbelievable price too!

mtbr member

Swing-arm swap-out question: how far do I haveta go?

I was contemplating the swing-arm swap and am curious: is it possible to leave the bottom bracket in place? Seems like all I absolutely have to remove is the right side crank arm and chainrings, then un-bolt the swing-arm bolt. I have new bearings for the swingarm. Any advice on what else I should do while she's apart?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    I was contemplating the swing-arm swap and am curious: is it possible to leave the bottom bracket in place? Seems like all I absolutely have to remove is the right side crank arm and chainrings, then un-bolt the swing-arm bolt. I have new bearings for the swingarm. Any advice on what else I should do while she's apart?
    Correct. You do not have to remove the BB or the left crank to change the swingarm. Make sure not to lose the spacers that are between the bearings and the frame when you remove the swingarm. You'll have to use them again with the new swingarm. Grease everything liberally when you put it back together.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Uber V Decals

Got my custom made Uber V decals in the mail today! Everyone needs to holla at my boy Ryan who is an awesome graphic artist and charges reasonable prices to boot! As you can see, he matched up the font on my '97 Super V perfectly and he can do the same for you. You can reach him at fox_racing0690@hotmail.com.

Uber V Cripp

Just a pic of my UberV..

A place I had fun with it..

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden my uber in a week. I was in England all last week and then the long travel day back and jet lag has had me dead tired the last couple days. I am riding tomorrow, I don't care how I feel.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Jdcamb, looks nice! What state are you in? Ryguy79, welcome back to the real world! Hope you get over that jet lag soon.

mtbr member
    I slept for 11 hours last night. feeling back to normal. Takes a few days to get over a 7 hour time difference. I left London just about the time I felt normal there just to get all jacked up again. Weather here in CO looks GREAT today...its going to be a great day for a nice long ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What are the odds of sticking a Prophet swingarm on the Super V??? I just called Cannondale, and they don't have any Jeckell Swingarms in-stock... They're willing to build me one for $275. I have access right now to a Prophet swingarm for $100. The ears (frame mount) is dimensionally the same. This Prophet swingarm is 1 inch longer than the Super V bonded one (which is what I have).

Long before I realized there was such a thing as a Uber, I was working on bolting a 7.875 inch Fox Vanilla RC to my Super V frame. It required some AutoCAD work to keep the dimensions the same as the original 6.5 inch air shock. I haven't cut the original mount yet, because I realized about half way through, that I have the bonded swingarm and that it wouldn't take the punishment that I would give it with additional travel.

By the way, with my mount the 7.875 inch shock (2 inch travel), and the bonded swingarm, I get 5.75 inches rear wheel travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I guess my idea on the Prophet swingarm is a NO GO... The offset is different. So much for that. I guess I'll stick to Ebay or buy a new one. I finally got a set of Hope mono mini (rear) and M4 (front) and got out on it a little in the yard... Pretty awsome!

I replaced my DLR with a Fox Vanilla RC2

mtbr member
    I flatted the rear tire, despite a slimed tube, on my ride today. Trail runner with headphones didn't hear me coming from behind on a downhill. The trail was wide enough to pass, and I slowed to a reasonable speed, but I had to take a wonky line through sharp rocks and I snagged one funny and tore the tire. Gash was too big to seal. So I had a fun walk back.

Uber V Cripp
    Jdcamb, looks nice! What state are you in?

New York.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shag555
    I replaced my DLR with a Fox Vanilla RC2
    Nice.

Contact mendoncyclesmith (Craig) about a swingarm. I believe he's got a couple in stock. His shop's closed this week because he's at Interbike but he'll be back on Friday or Saturday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    RW - Thanks!

Soon as I get a swingarm, I'll post a couple of pics. This bike already rocks. As I indicated earlier, I changed out the Lefty for a Fox 36 RC2, and changed up the original stem for a 50mm downhill type. The stem really changed the bike in being twitchy. I never really liked how fast this bike reacted, even though it was my main trail rig for 8 seasons. I'm still running the Fox Float in the rear, so I can't wait to get a Jeckell swingarm and implement my mount and Fox RC2, just another chapter toward perfection with this frame. It'll be an awsome all mountain setup when finshed.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Photos on my excursions today

I have some pics of my ride today. It was about 10 miles of up and down single track and I had a hell of a time getting out of the Candy C's! It's a little slower than I'd like. I fell on my face 3 times.....one time my head slammed into a log. Glad I was wearing a helmet.

I had been using clips until I just changed the cranks to Deore Hollowtech this weekend. I also change the seat post to Truvativ XR? and the handlebar will be Truvativ XC. You may remember the seat and the pedals from my Killer V I parted out. I was waiting for the stem for my lefty to arrive and it just did.

Lefty and Jekyll frame show up tomorrow or the next day I believe. BTW, after Mendon and RW420 cut the tabs, I'm having it powder coated Sparkle Sky Blue and thowing a 7.5" Manitou 4-way on it with the Jekyll rear I got. Thanks JeffJ for the link. I'm also getting his BB7's So the tranformation begins......
    Last edited by Mogul218; 09-26-2007 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Would anyone here know what the offset is on the Prophet swingarm? I considered using this swingarm in the not too long ago past, but Cdale Tech told me that the offset was completely different. I found a picture on Ebay showing only a Prophet frame from the rear, and, clearly the bottom bracket is what is offset on the frame. I don't know if there's any offset built into the swingarm or not, and I guess that's my question.

I think I can mill an offset into the swingarm mount on my Super V, then use a milled out spacer opposite to accomodate it, without modifying the Prophet swingarm. The key is getting the swingarm from the Prophet perfectly centered with the Super V front triangle, and right now I have no idea how much that would take out. It might even be too much to where lateral play comes into consideration.

On the flip-side of using this swingarm, the rise in the triangle is larger than the Super V and Jeckell, so in looking at the amount of travel I'd get, it's more like 5.1 inches VS 5.5 inches in using the Jeckell Swingarm.

mtbr member

Super V riding position..."I fell on my face 3 times....."

Mogul218: "I fell on my face 3 times.....one time my head slammed into a log. Glad I was wearing a helmet"

Yeah, I had the same feeling with my SuperV. I swapped the ~200mm stem for a 100mm unit the LBS had layin' around...much better. I also have a '97 model, looks almost exactly the way yours does. "I was waiting for the stem for my lefty to arrive and it just did." I hope the new Lefty stem is shorter...

Does anybody have a comment on the earlier riding position? I mean, I always felt like I was on the edge of launching over the handlebars on every downhill section. And the extreme forward position made it hard to keep the front end up when going over a drop. What was the philosphy at that time (late 90's) that led to those looooong stems?

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    I hope the new Lefty stem is shorter...
    As a matter of fact I am going with a 120mm with a 20 degree rise. I'll let you know how it feels.

The Jekyll frame and Lefty came today so I disassembled it in preparation for the Uber upgrade. Just need some disc brakes and I'm all set!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm My stem is only a hunnert millimeters...

I got a Thompson 100mm @ 6 degree rise. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm also using a set of handlebars with a little rise to 'em so I don't know if 20 degrees would be a problem with the front tire lifting at times

BTW, doncha love those 6-inch bar-ends? Mine had those too. I stole a set of short ones from my son's bike. Probly saved at least a pound...

mtbr member
    I don't know the specs on my stem and bars, but I know its a pretty tall stem and not very long either, plus I've got about an inch of spacers under it. The front of my uber does get a little light on really steep climbs. Its taken a little adjusting of my body position to get comfortable going up steep stuff, but the payoff is huge going downhill. I used to be very tentative on steep descents and often didn't feel like I could get back far enough, but now I can ride down stuff that would have made me really nervous about going OTB pre-uber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shag555
    The key is getting the swingarm from the Prophet perfectly centered with the Super V front triangle, .
    . . . If you go with the SuperV 4000/3000, no machine work is needed to use the prophet/rush swingarm. .

superRushV
    Last edited by az1jeff; 09-27-2007 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    . . . If you go with the SuperV 4000/3000, no machine work is needed to use the prophet/rush swingarm. .

WOW! It's time for mendon to build his Uber V 29er with a SV DH Frame and Prophet swingarm!

Can you put up a profile picture that gives a better view of the geometry?

How long is the wheelbase?

He who follows his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff

Good one! I always fancied a Super V DH frame, but could never work out how to fit a better swing arm than the industrial one that came standard.

How have you fixed a front mech???

mtbr member
    thats way cool

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast