Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Agreed! Nice UberV photos. It certainly looks like you are using all the travel on your big drop to flat photo. Make sure that you pay close attention to your DHX Air bottom out settings. If you hear the distinct metal 'clank' when landing, your frame may be taking excessive stress. This is unnecessary because adding 1/2 turn or so of bottom out resistance will allow you to still use ALL of your travel without the 'clank". You should rarely ever feel bottom with a properly adjusted DHX.

mtbr member
    nope, no bottoming out. i've got the bottom out set up for it. no clank.

mtbr member
    now i'm just trying to figure out what to do with the drivetrain. i'm thinking about going to 2x9 and bashguard because i never use the big ring and its very rocky here, but all the different bb types and sizes have me thoroughly confused. bike still has the stock 8sp stuff from way back in 99.

Horizontally Compliant

It's working for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    now i'm just trying to figure out what to do with the drivetrain. i'm thinking about going to 2x9 and bashguard because i never use the big ring and its very rocky here, but all the different bb types and sizes have me thoroughly confused. bike still has the stock 8sp stuff from way back in 99.
    FWIW, I'm running 2x9 with a bashguard and it's working out great! I didn't have to change anything (alignment-wise) from when I was running 3x9, although I'd like to switch to a med cage rear mech when I have the $$.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    I'm running 2.3 Hutchinson Pythons... no issues with tire clearance (although it's close), however, those particular tires like to pickup small rocks with the side treads, which then hit the chainstay when it rotates through. I don't see how you could fit anything bigger than a 2.3 in the Jekyll swingarm. I've even thought about going back to a 2.1 on the rear, just to avoid the annoyance of the rocks hitting, but it rides so sweet with the bigger meats that I just can't bring myself to make the swap.

Congrats on finishing your Uber, Ryguy... it looks great! Enjoy the ride and welcome to the UberHood!!
    I am using Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in the rear and it clears fine.

Uber V Cripp
    They also race amazingly well! Right AJM?

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    They also race amazingly well! Right AJM?
    Damn straight!!!

He who follows his heart.

Looks like you could do with a shorter rear mech and some chain shortening to me! I would hate to see how much more your suspension would compress off a larger drop - I would be looking at the set up if I were you buddy.

Yours in the same colour as my Uber, so it's good to another in Kawasaki green!

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    What's the widest rear tire you guys have run with the jekyll swingarm? I've got panaracer fire xc 2.1 front and rear. There's a lot of sand where I ride so I'd like to try a wider tire. I've got plenty of space to go wider up front, but there isn't much clearance on the swingarm.
    I tried a Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 in the swing arm, and that rubbed a lot. Agreed that is a very knobbly tyre, and with the knobbles it like a very tall tyre.
    I found a Vertical Pro 2.3 on the back of my M1000, so I've slapped that on instead and with the much lower grip profile, it's been fine on the two outings I have had on it.

I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathel

Looks like you could do with a shorter rear mech and some chain shortening to me! I would hate to see how much more your suspension would compress off a larger drop - I would be looking at the set up if I were you buddy.

Yours in the same colour as my Uber, so it's good to another in Kawasaki green!

I tried a Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.3 in the swing arm, and that rubbed a lot. Agreed that is a very knobbly tyre, and with the knobbles it like a very tall tyre.
    I found a Vertical Pro 2.3 on the back of my M1000, so I've slapped that on instead and with the much lower grip profile, it's been fine on the two outings I have had on it.

I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can!
    Thanks for the advice, but since i don't drop anything bigger, i'll leave it as is. i like it as plush as possible for what i ride. regarding the chain/rear derailleur, i'll soon be ditching the old 8 speed stuff for a 2x9 setup so its all going to change anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I noticed a lot of you use the 5th Element Air shock, so what brand of shock pump will work with that shock? I tried Performance Bike's house brand and some other brand, but neither of them can engage the valve when fully threaded in.

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Uber V Light

The newest addition to our family! This Uber Light is the 4" rear travel version built for my wife. It comes equipped with a Fox RP23 shock and a Talas fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    I noticed a lot of you use the 5th Element Air shock, so what brand of shock pump will work with that shock? I tried Performance Bike's house brand and some other brand, but neither of them can engage the valve when fully threaded in.
    The pumps that originally came with the 5th Air from Progressive are often available on ebay. Fox Pumps are similar and also work fine. The ones that don't work have large heads that hit the can before they are threaded in far enough to engage the valve.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm
    The newest addition to our family! This Uber Light is the 4" rear travel version built for my wife. It comes equipped with a Fox RP23 shock and a Talas fork.
    Sweeeeet! Looks like the grass could use some water though
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Conservation my friend. No need to waste such a valuable resource (water) in these drought like conditions. Let's leave the ultra-green grass to the non riding family across the street.

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Conservation my friend. No need to waste such a valuable resource (water) in these drought like conditions. Let's leave the ultra-green grass to the non riding family across the street.

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

mtbr member
    Could you post that reply a few more times?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    Could you post that reply a few more times?

That was kinda funny huh?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I was afraid maybe he had a siezure with his finger poised over the mouse button....

Or an orgasm. I don't know how he feels about biking, but as for me, I love it!

Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast