Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    I was afraid maybe he had a siezure with his finger poised over the mouse button....

Or an orgasm. I don't know how he feels about biking, but as for me, I love it!

I though perhaps a sticky key, from who knows what.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That is a sweet lookin' bike...I like the color scheme wid da silver fork tubes and silver swingarm. Mine is red with yeller lettering...I'm trying to decide what color to paint the swingarm, what color rims, etc. I don't want to tear the whole thing down yet and repaint the frame, but I need something to do this winter. I'm doing the frontend now and will do the rear next. I'll probly ride it til the weather gets bad, then paint it up...but I'm not sure how much I wanna do. Do you know where I can get C'dale decals?

mtbr member
    my favorite ones are: ajm page1, BigToe page 2, and nic page 4

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)

mtbr member

What's the effect on the head tube angle when you use Jekyll swingarm?

What is the net effect on head tube angle when you do the Jekyll swingarm swap-out? I'm thinking if you use a 6" length rear shock, because of the ~1" extra length allowed by the swingarm you wouldn't have any change in ht angle. I am looking at a 2006 Marzocchi AM1 front fork, which will add 70mm travel over the orig 60mm headslop. What is the original ht angle, and what is the upgraded ht angle?

But if you swap swingarms and drill the front shock mount, should you then go to a 7 inch rear shock? I understand that re-drilling gains 7/8" shock length. Anybody have specific rear shock suggestions?

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
    Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

mtbr member
    What is the net effect on head tube angle when you do the Jekyll swingarm swap-out? I'm thinking if you use a 6" length rear shock, because of the ~1" extra length allowed by the swingarm you wouldn't have any change in ht angle. I am looking at a 2006 Marzocchi AM1 front fork, which will add 70mm travel over the orig 60mm headslop. What is the original ht angle, and what is the upgraded ht angle?
    I'm assuming that you have a long-tab frame: '97, '98 or '00-'02. If you switch to the 130mm Marzocchi and a 6.5"x1.5" rear shock you will end up with about 115mm rear wheel travel and good trailbike geometry. The HT angle should be about 68.5-69 degrees. I rode and loved my white SV that way for years before I figured out that I could do the modification for more travel.

But if you swap swingarms and drill the front shock mount, should you then go to a 7 inch rear shock? I understand that re-drilling gains 7/8" shock length.
    If you drill 7/8" forward and cut the tabs you can use a rear shock that is 1 inch longer with no significant change to geometry. The 7.5"x2.0" rear shock will give you about 155mm rear wheel travel. The reason that you don't drill a full 1" forward is due to the additional sag resulting from the longer stroke shock. A 7.5"x2.0" shock under 25% sag is only 7/8" longer than a 6.5"x1.5" shock under 25% sag.

Anybody have specific rear shock suggestions?
    The Fox DHX Air 5.0 is an excellent shock. It's very tuneable and easy to service with no special tools required. The adjustable pedalling platform is perfect for the Uber.

FYI - We recently found out that a Fox coil will NOT fit an Uber V frame due to interference with the swingarm. Right ryguy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    I'm assuming that you have a long-tab frame: '97, '98 or '00-'02. If you switch to the 130mm Marzocchi and a 6.5"x1.5" rear shock you will end up with about 115mm rear wheel travel and good trailbike geometry. The HT angle should be about 68.5-69 degrees. I rode and loved my white SV that way for years before I figured out that I could do the modification for more travel.

If you drill 7/8" forward and cut the tabs you can use a rear shock that is 1 inch longer with no significant change to geometry. The 7.5"x2.0" rear shock will give you about 155mm rear wheel travel. The reason that you don't drill a full 1" forward is due to the additional sag resulting from the longer stroke shock. A 7.5"x2.0" shock under 25% sag is only 7/8" longer than a 6.5"x1.5" shock under 25% sag.

The Fox DHX Air 5.0 is an excellent shock. It's very tuneable and easy to service with no special tools required. The adjustable pedalling platform is perfect for the Uber.

FYI - We recently found out that a Fox coil will NOT fit an Uber V frame due to interference with the swingarm. Right ryguy?

Yep, but I'm satisfied with the DHX Air! Still loving the uber. Starting working again on 9/4 so I'm going to upgrade the drivetrain next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There are better shocks out there than the DHX now. I consider mine a loss. I rode it three times, after which it apparently had a stick down issue. Sent it back to universalcycles - they warrantied it to Fox. Never a word from universalcycles or Fox. I replaced it with a Roco, so I didn't really care, except for the four bills I paid for it. Finally asked about it - just got it back. It was in limbo for four months. Now I'm stuck with it - I was hoping for a credit or something, but it's used - can't get a credit. At least it's the correct length again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mantitou Radium RL

Hello friends,

has anyone experiences with this shock. Is the 7.5 Mantiou Radium RL o.k to build an upper V ?

Thanks Volker

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

UberV w/ Industry9 Rear Wheel

This rear wheel on my Uber comes served up with an Industry Nine Enduro Hub built on a Mavic 819 rim. I have found this wheel to be an outstanding product with instant engagement, unrivaled stiffness and durability all in a nice light package. It was built up by the Mendon Cyclesmith himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He who follows his heart.
    Could you post that reply a few more times?
    You're just jealous because at this moment in time, he has more posts than you do

ajm - I'm guessing your frame is an XL? I'm in Scotland, and the XL frame is impossible to find. There are plenty of mediums, quite a few large (I've had four), and next to no smalls or extra large. That said, I managed to find a KTM orange 99 Super V for my woman.

Still need worked on though.....

I'll need to get my Uber on here to see what you all think of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynorton
    There are better shocks out there than the DHX now. I consider mine a loss. I rode it three times, after which it apparently had a stick down issue. Sent it back to universalcycles - they warrantied it to Fox. Never a word from universalcycles or Fox. I replaced it with a Roco, so I didn't really care, except for the four bills I paid for it. Finally asked about it - just got it back. It was in limbo for four months. Now I'm stuck with it - I was hoping for a credit or something, but it's used - can't get a credit. At least it's the correct length again.
    They sent it back to Fox for a stuck-down????? You can fix it in about 15 minutes with no special tools required. I've done it on the trail twice. The stuck-down usually results from running the shock too long between service. The air slips around the main quad seal to the other side if the seal gets too dry. I suspect that your quad seal was slightly out of place.

So you've never actually ridden a working DHX air?
    Last edited by rw420; 08-18-2007 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I'm so glad...

Glad that I found the Uberhood and by total chance it was too.!! I nearly wouldn't have been here .Only last week I was in my LBS in Cape Town, South Africa, flogging my mint condition Super V 2000 SL on consignment sale as I had my eyes fixed on a new roadie bike. Truth be told, I picked up this V (I think a 1999 bike? - Dark Dark metallic blue ) in 2001 on a trip to Florida and it's been stuffed in my garage and never ever ridden ever since.- not that it was ridden hardly ever before me too I've been riding other metal...
    The LBS serviced it and Cannondale agents just serviced the Fatty front shock and all is Ok! Then just as I signed the bikes disposal warrant on the LBS shop floor... something just popped in my brain and I ended up keeping this beautiful bike with the intention of doing some kind of vague modernization program...and oh, yeah I bought the roadie as well Then I stumbled across the Uberhood and read all the threads, then got very very confused with all the mechanics...so...
    I think I'll just use the LBS workshop facilities for my Uber V Upgrade and Blinging out...
    I'll post photos of my current set up and solict the guidance of the esteemed members but please be gentle with me, because I am absolutely mechanically inept

mtbr member
    glad to see another super v saved!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I want to know more about that custom cable housing shim on the swingarm.......

mtbr member
    A Jekyll Swingarm just showed up on Ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150153163153

mtbr member
    So I'm trying to switch to a 2x9 setup and was wondering if this bb will work. it says 68/73x113. Will this fit a super v? Not sure if its any different from 68x113. I'm assuming that it will work for both 68 and 73 but I'm not sure.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...0&catalogId=39

planned on using it with these cranks

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...7&catalogId=39

mtbr member
    Ordered the Race Face Cranks above, Race Face Evolve FR BB, XT Rear derailluer, Sram 11-34 cassette, new chain, and new rear shifter for my 2x9 swap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    Ordered the Race Face Cranks above, Race Face Evolve FR BB, XT Rear derailluer, Sram 11-34 cassette, new chain, and new rear shifter for my 2x9 swap.
    I was just getting ready to respond and let you know that 68x113 is the right size for your frame. That said, I have seen pictures of you in action - just try to remember that these are a XC setup!

mtbr member
    I was just getting ready to respond and let you know that 68x113 is the right size for your frame. That said, I have seen pictures of you in action - just try to remember that these are a XC setup!
    I've never dropped anything bigger than those pictures, and don't plan to anytime soon. I haven't done the drop to flat since that picture. Its not a really fun drop, it was just a good photo op. The majority of my riding is XC. The trails here get pretty rough, but I'd still call it XC.

If I do start dropping bigger stuff, I'd have to find it first and I'd probably wind up buying a bigger bike. I did go with the stronger FR bb instead of the XC bb. And I'm only getting lighter. Riding 5 times a week is great for weight loss.

mtbr member
    now i just gotta figure out what to do with all the spare parts! I've got a front wheel that is still in decent shape, i'll have full 3x8 drivetrain (would need front derailluer and shifter but they're cheap), my old v brakes, and a headshok stem. thats not far from a bike!

I'm thinking I should find a decent cannondale frame if I can't sell the stuff and build a beater hardtail. Or build a bike for my fiancee, but i know she wants a new bike. She's picky.

Uber V Cripp
    If I do start dropping bigger stuff, I'd have to find it first and I'd probably wind up buying a bigger bike.
    I think that if you upgraded your swingarm you could do bigger stuff no problem. I have seen UberV's do some amazing stuff! That is what is so great about these bikes. They can take serious punishment and still weigh under 30lbs. Who needs a big bike? Not me. Hell add a Fox 36 and a 7 7/8" rear shock to our current setups and you have a big bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    I think that if you upgraded your swingarm you could do bigger stuff no problem. I have seen UberV's do some amazing stuff! That is what is so great about these bikes. They can take serious punishment and still weigh under 30lbs. Who needs a big bike? Not me. Hell add a Fox 36 and a 7 7/8" rear shock to our current setups and you have a big bike....
    well in the long run i want a bike to take to lift served stuff. i didn't move to colorado for nothing...

that doesn't mean i want to get rid of the uber. its a great all around bike.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    That is a sweet lookin' bike...I like the color scheme wid da silver fork tubes and silver swingarm. Mine is red with yeller lettering...I'm trying to decide what color to paint the swingarm, what color rims, etc. I don't want to tear the whole thing down yet and repaint the frame, but I need something to do this winter. I'm doing the frontend now and will do the rear next. I'll probly ride it til the weather gets bad, then paint it up...but I'm not sure how much I wanna do. Do you know where I can get C'dale decals?
    http://stores.ebay.com/Zappers-Bicyc...ecals-stickers

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcamb
    It's all BIG Jimmy Boy

mtbr member
    I have an all original 99 Super V 900. After considering a new bike build this winter, perhaps the Uber V is the way to go. If I've read the past message posts correctly, a 7.5"x2" shock will fit (along with a Jekyll swing arm) without modifying the mounting posts. Am I right?

Rich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinch
    I have an all original 99 Super V 900. After considering a new bike build this winter, perhaps the Uber V is the way to go. If I've read the past message posts correctly, a 7.5"x2" shock will fit (along with a Jekyll swing arm) without modifying the mounting posts. Am I right?

Rich
    Correct.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm
    The newest addition to our family! This Uber Light is the 4" rear travel version built for my wife. It comes equipped with a Fox RP23 shock and a Talas fork.
    Hi ajm,

Would you mind telling me the stand over height of that bike? I am curious as to how well a small frame will fit a shorter rider. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Correct.
    Thanks for the help. Each time I reread the Uber threads, I pickup some information. Will I have any problems using my existing Magura Louise calipers with a Jekyll swing arm and a 130mm Fox Talas fork on my 99 V900? I did read that 2000 and later are the arms to look for but I just wanted to get confirmation.

How much can I expect to pay for a used Jekyll swing arm? I do have time so I can wait if I have to.

One more, what can I expect to have to do for a headset? Is it as simple as installing a Cane Creek Double Xc? In case it matters, I have a LG frame size.

Rich
    Last edited by Stinch; 08-22-2007 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinch
    Thanks for the help. Each time I reread the Uber threads, I pickup some information. Will I have any problems using my existing Magura Louise calipers with a Jekyll swing arm and a 130mm Fox Talas fork on my 99 V900? I did read that 2000 and later are the arms to look for but I just wanted to get confirmation.

How much can I expect to pay for a used Jekyll swing arm? I do have time so I can wait if I have to.

One more, what can I expect to have to do for a headset? Is it as simple as installing a Cane Creek Double Xc? In case it matters, I have a LG frame size.

Rich
    I haven't used Magura brakes in a while but they should be fine. There is nothing unique about the IS brake mounts on the Jekyll swingarms.

The swingarms came on '00 and later Super Vs and Jekylls. You can identify them by looking at the shock mount. The ones to look for have the mount offset toward the rear wheel to make room for the longer shock. The older SV swingarms had the shock mount on the front of the tube. Avoid the bonded type as they tend to fail. You may also want to avoid the CAAD4 swingarms as they are not quite as sturdy and have limited tire clearance. I prefer 2003 and later swingarms from the longer-travel Jekylls and recumbent bikes.

I have paid as little as $50 for a used swingarm on ebay. We've gotten new ones off ebay for as much as $175. The recent activity here has definitely had an effect on prices. I think you can still get a brand new one from MendonCycleSmith for about $200. There is one on ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150153163153

More information on methods for conversion to a standard fork here:
    What length steerer tube do I need for my SuperVee?
    For a 130mm fork, I would probably go for the Problem Solvers and a standard headset. That should give you good trailbike geometry. Hopefully the steerer on your Talas is long enough. The Cane Creek headset that would work is the Double Xc-short. The Double Xc is for full 1.5 headtubes that have greater press depth than older C'dale frames. Frame size makes no difference as all C'dales have the same size headtube.

Uber V Cripp
    Buildin' Uber V's is fun! Not as fun as riding them. But fun still the same... Hehe!

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    Hi ajm,

Would you mind telling me the stand over height of that bike? I am curious as to how well a small frame will fit a shorter rider. Thanks!
    The stand over height at the low point on the top tube measures 25". Hope this helps and good luck!

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Uberlicious V Light most perfect for the shorter rider!
    Last edited by ajm; 08-24-2007 at 03:37 AM.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Uber Vee coming along nicely....

It was Christmas in August for me as the UPS-man delivered a load of goodies while I was out of town. Came home at midnight from the airport to find new wheels, fork, handlebars, stem, brakes, and headset. I'm trying to do the conversion in stages, front end first. No theft problem in Central AL, stuff sat there for 2 days unmolested! Here's the shopping list:

Cane Creek Double Xc flush reducing headset @ $99
    2006 Marzocchi AM1 150mm fork @ $219
    Mavic Cross-ride 24 spoke wheelset in black with Mavic hubs @ $209 pair
    Thompson 5 deg 100mm stem @89.99
    Easton Scandium DH riser bar @$54.96
    Avid BB7 disc brakes $89 ea (coulda got 'em cheaper somewhere else!)

I grabbed both front & rear brakes so I'll have 'em on hand when the swingarm comes in, same for the wheels.

Got a few questions for the tech-heads out there:

Got the wheel set with 24-spokes. Avid BB7 specs say intended for use with 32-36 spoke wheels. Do I have a serious problem? LBS said Mavic wheels are strong enough and it doesn't matter. NONE of the on-line information for the brakes stated the spoke spec.

A pre-assembly fitting looks like the Double Xc flush reducing headset will work fine but I'm worried about the fork crown maybe hitting the frame downtube and breaking the ETA knob or damaging the frame. It looks OK, but before I press in the headset I wanna be sure 'cause I don't know if I can swap it after it's been pressed in. Anybody else use the flush headset? I selected the flush because of concerns over front-end height and also weight savings...saved about 55 grams and maybe 10mm.

The geometry looks all screwed up with the front end way up in the air.....just like the LBS guy sneered would happen if I tried to modify something and didn't know what I was doing. We'll see after it's assembled properly.

Avid BB7 brakes mounted up nicely and seem to be much more responsive than the v-brakes...I've looked at the cable routing on the other Ubers. Is it OK to run the cable through the hole in the fork crown? It seems to clear everything and not bend too tightly but I'm concerned it will rub the tire. The cable guide @ top of left fork seems to hold it out of the way. Anybody got close-ups of the cable routing? Full-bike shots don't show enough detail.

Got the Easton Scandium (unobtainium?) alloy DH riser handlebars on close-out from Perf Bike @ $54.96 (65% off MSRP of $200 plus 20% web coupon!!) I had riser bars on the orig configuration so I went back to 'em again but I noticed some Ubers have flat bars. I'm using a 100mm Thompson 6 degree rise stem...anybody care to speculate on how this will handle?

I used BB7 mechanical disk 'cuz I don't have the bucks to replace the Deore XT shift levers now. All I had to do was cut a new front brake cable. The disk bolted up to the hub just fine and the caliper mounted easily too...just had to loosen the CPS bolts on the caliper to let it "float" so it self-aligns to the disk rotor.....like it says in the instructions but who reads those anyway?! Coulda saved myself an hour of head-scratchin time. Oh well.

Frame is red with puke yellow C'dale decals...went with black wheel set, stem, fork is black, didn't notice handlebars are silver - wanted black, but it's scandium!! alloy so I'll probably keep 'em. Hope the color scheme looks as good as some the Ubers on here.

LBS has "Beer, brats, and bikes" nite (Cahaba Cycles, Pelham AL 205-987-4043) bike maintenance skills workshop tonite so we might press in the headset...might get to take maiden voyage tomorrow...weather report says it'll be 10 degrees cooler than yesterday: only 95 instead of 105!!! Sweet bike riding weather! Wish me luck and listen for the ambulance!

mtbr member
    It was Christmas in August for me as the UPS-man delivered a load of goodies while I was out of town. Came home at midnight from the airport to find new wheels, fork, handlebars, stem, brakes, and headset. I'm trying to do the conversion in stages, front end first. No theft problem in Central AL, stuff sat there for 2 days unmolested! Here's the shopping list:

Cane Creek Double Xc flush reducing headset @ $99
    2006 Marzocchi AM1 150mm fork @ $219
    Mavic Cross-ride 24 spoke wheelset in black with Mavic hubs @ $209 pair
    Thompson 5 deg 100mm stem @89.99
    Easton Scandium DH riser bar @$54.96
    Avid BB7 disc brakes $89 ea (coulda got 'em cheaper somewhere else!)

I grabbed both front & rear brakes so I'll have 'em on hand when the swingarm comes in, same for the wheels.

Got a few questions for the tech-heads out there:

Got the wheel set with 24-spokes. Avid BB7 specs say intended for use with 32-36 spoke wheels. Do I have a serious problem? LBS said Mavic wheels are strong enough and it doesn't matter. NONE of the on-line information for the brakes stated the spoke spec.

A pre-assembly fitting looks like the Double Xc flush reducing headset will work fine but I'm worried about the fork crown maybe hitting the frame downtube and breaking the ETA knob or damaging the frame. It looks OK, but before I press in the headset I wanna be sure 'cause I don't know if I can swap it after it's been pressed in. Anybody else use the flush headset? I selected the flush because of concerns over front-end height and also weight savings...saved about 55 grams and maybe 10mm.

The geometry looks all screwed up with the front end way up in the air.....just like the LBS guy sneered would happen if I tried to modify something and didn't know what I was doing. We'll see after it's assembled properly.

Avid BB7 brakes mounted up nicely and seem to be much more responsive than the v-brakes...I've looked at the cable routing on the other Ubers. Is it OK to run the cable through the hole in the fork crown? It seems to clear everything and not bend too tightly but I'm concerned it will rub the tire. The cable guide @ top of left fork seems to hold it out of the way. Anybody got close-ups of the cable routing? Full-bike shots don't show enough detail.

Got the Easton Scandium (unobtainium?) alloy DH riser handlebars on close-out from Perf Bike @ $54.96 (65% off MSRP of $200 plus 20% web coupon!!) I had riser bars on the orig configuration so I went back to 'em again but I noticed some Ubers have flat bars. I'm using a 100mm Thompson 6 degree rise stem...anybody care to speculate on how this will handle?

I used BB7 mechanical disk 'cuz I don't have the bucks to replace the Deore XT shift levers now. All I had to do was cut a new front brake cable. The disk bolted up to the hub just fine and the caliper mounted easily too...just had to loosen the CPS bolts on the caliper to let it "float" so it self-aligns to the disk rotor.....like it says in the instructions but who reads those anyway?! Coulda saved myself an hour of head-scratchin time. Oh well.

Frame is red with puke yellow C'dale decals...went with black wheel set, stem, fork is black, didn't notice handlebars are silver - wanted black, but it's scandium!! alloy so I'll probably keep 'em. Hope the color scheme looks as good as some the Ubers on here.

LBS has "Beer, brats, and bikes" nite (Cahaba Cycles, Pelham AL 205-987-4043) bike maintenance skills workshop tonite so we might press in the headset...might get to take maiden voyage tomorrow...weather report says it'll be 10 degrees cooler than yesterday: only 95 instead of 105!!! Sweet bike riding weather! Wish me luck and listen for the ambulance!
    Lot's of info there. I only have a minute so I'll respond to a couple things. Never used mechanical brakes or Mavic wheels so I don't have any comments there. Maybe someone else will chime in on that issue. We all use riser bars here and love them. I think the low stack height will be good for a 150mm Marz or the front might get pretty tall. I'm not sure on the clearance issue with the fork crown and knobs. Is the Cane Creek a 'short' version? Super V's only have about half the press depth of a full one-point-five headset.

mtbr member

Uber Vee NOT coming along nicely.......

Well, as this is my first build I overlooked one little problem: Cane Creek Doulble Xc flush insertion depth into the headtube is too deep. The headtube recess for the headset is only ~.450" while the reducing headset requires ~.747". I have a set of headset adapters to reduce the diameter from 1.5" to 1 1/8", but I was concerned about HT angle with a 150mm-travel front fork so I ordered the Xc flush to save a few millimeters. The bottom adapter has a taper step-down from 1.5" to the 1 1/8" that is 1" tall, so it will raise the headtube that much. But some of the Ubers have that set of adapters installed so it may not be that big of a deal. The adapters fit perfectly into the HT recess, so I guess I'll just buy a new 1 1/8" headset from the LBS and get riding. Adapters were $50 leftover from one of the LBS that he ordered for someone that never picked 'em up. Black anodized so they match the sinister color scheme.

On my way to LBS to grab a headset and he promised to press it in by tomorrow!!! Yippee!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm
    The stand over height at the low point on the top tube measures 25". Hope this helps and good luck!
    Thanks man! I love the low stand-over height of the Vs, never had to worry about the crown jewel again.

mtbr member

Cane Creek headset is "flush" so even shorter than "short"

"Is the Cane Creek a 'short' version? Super V's only have about half the press depth of a full one-point-five headset."

Yeah I didn't notice the extra insertion depth...was concentratin' on the stack height. Here's the link to Cane Creek: http://www.canecreek.com/double_x_flush.html you can see the deeper insertion is plainly visible...and I am concerned about stack height. The Double Xc Short probably is the one to go with.

The bike geometry may look worse right now since I haven't done the swingarm/rear shock swap yet. Also, the Marz AM1 spec page says "available travels: 110 - 130 - 150 mm". Maybe I can offset the stack height by running on 130mm...not sure how that will affect the ride.

I could take the adapters to a machine shop and cut 'em down 1/2" or so...looks like plenty of meat there. Or I wonder if I could cut down the insertion part of the Cane Creek? Hmmmmm....

Pre-assembly weigh-in was @ 30.5 lbs....shooting for less than 30...but still have rear mods to do. Might get there.

mtbr member
    I have a set of headset adapters to reduce the diameter from 1.5" to 1 1/8", but I was concerned about HT angle with a 150mm-travel front fork so I ordered the Xc flush to save a few millimeters. The bottom adapter has a taper step-down from 1.5" to the 1 1/8" that is 1" tall, so it will raise the headtube that much. But some of the Ubers have that set of adapters installed so it may not be that big of a deal. The adapters fit perfectly into the HT recess, so I guess I'll just buy a new 1 1/8" headset from the LBS and get riding.
    Those are our prefered adapters but we run Fox forks that are not as tall as your Marzocchi. you can put the 1 inch tall adapter on top and the short one on the bottom. It will look good that way and you'll appreciate the taller handlebar with fewer headset spacers. Even set up that way you might find that you prefer the fork at 130mm since the Marzocchi has such a tall crown height.

mtbr member
    The bike geometry may look worse right now since I haven't done the swingarm/rear shock swap yet. Also, the Marz AM1 spec page says "available travels: 110 - 130 - 150 mm". Maybe I can offset the stack height by running on 130mm...not sure how that will affect the ride.
    If you want a big bike you can also consider using a 7.875" shock to compensate for the 150mm fork. It will raise your bottom bracket but it's still within useful range. I just built one up that way last night with jdcamb's helpful assistance. Getting ready for the first ride on it. Pictures will be forthcoming...

mtbr member
    If you want a big bike you can also consider using a 7.875" shock to compensate for the 150mm fork. It will raise your bottom bracket but it's still within useful range. I just built one up that way last night with jdcamb's helpful assistance. Getting ready for the first ride on it. Pictures will be forthcoming...
    looking forward to it...

mtbr member

The Ultra-Uber

OK, here it is. I took my white frame and polished swingarm and added an '08 Fox 36 Talas RC2 and an '08 DHX Air 7.875x2.25 plus a few other new bits.

Gets 160/130/100 adjustable fork travel and over 170mm rear travel.
    32 pounds complete.

It will take a few rides to tune the suspension but based on the driveway test I think I'll like it.

mtbr member
    thats pretty sweet.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Well, as this is my first build I overlooked one little problem: Cane Creek Doulble Xc flush insertion depth into the headtube is too deep. The headtube recess for the headset is only ~.450" while the reducing headset requires ~.747".
    You needed the Double XC Short, which is specific for Cannondales with Headshoks:

o l d s c h o o l m t b
    Wanted:
    Mavic 117/217 rims
    Gravity Research parts
    Yo Eddy in Aqua Fade
    XTR 1" threaded headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K
    You needed the Double XC Short, which is specific for Cannondales with Headshoks:
    That's what I used, its great!

Are you putting Hybrids.jp sticker on your bike? sort of fit the hybrids theme.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    That's what I used, its great!

Are you putting Hybrids.jp sticker on your bike? sort of fit the hybrids theme.
    I used one too. I think it's great, but I'm not sure yet as there's no fork on the bike.

Internet stalkage, fun....who is this?
    o l d s c h o o l m t b
    Wanted:
    Mavic 117/217 rims
    Gravity Research parts
    Yo Eddy in Aqua Fade
    XTR 1" threaded headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K
    I used one too. I think it's great, but I'm not sure yet as there's no fork on the bike.

Internet stalkage, fun....who is this?
    Hahahaha, I just remember your avatar from hybrids. We don't really know each other, but I read sr20 hybrids way back (I had a blk s13 sr convertible), and I live across the street and friends with the guy (chad) you bought the corolla from. So we might have met in person since I am always hanging out across the street at their place. RyanK just confirmed that "shaunK" is "you", altho Mr Sparkle avatar is pretty unmistakable.

mtbr member
    Gave my uber a bath tonight. Last week was really muddy. I don't remember the last time it looked so clean. Got rid of some old ugly stickers from years ago too.

If only my old grill looked as nice...

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Gave my uber a bath tonight. Last week was really muddy. I don't remember the last time it looked so clean. Got rid of some old ugly stickers from years ago too.

If only my old grill looked as nice...

She's looking real nice there, ryguy79. Can't wait til mine gets here!

He who follows his heart.
    Two lovely looking ubers there guys.

I'm pretty sure mine weighs in at around 35 lbs. I'll weigh it, and someday soon remember to take a picture too.......hopefully!

mtbr member
    I had to run an errand today and knew I was going past my LBS. So I stopped in to see if they had any Super V headset adapters and maybe even a Jekyll swing arm. When I told Rick the owner (Cycle Fitness - Monroe CT) about the Uber plans, he thought it was a cool idea, one that he had not considered. He seemed very interested in the project. Then he says, "Oh I may have a Jekyll with a broken frame". Sure enough, hanging in the back of his storage area was a totally stripped frame with a good swing arm. It's a CAAD4 which I've read is not ideal, but still usable. For $50 the price was right and should do well for my 155 lbs and 2.1 tires. Now the ball is rolling to Uber my V900. And to think I only picked up on this thread last week. I'm really looking forward to the finished Uber.

Rich
    Last edited by Stinch; 08-26-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast