Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well lucky for you that you didn't buy that ebay Jekyll swingarm 1975volker - it's a ripoff, been over 2 weeks now and I've received no swingarm, no communication, no refund, nothing

Anyone else got any ideas on where to find one in UK / Europe?

nic
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Uber transformation Complete (well almost)

As I have now almost completed the upgrading of my Uber V I thought I would add the latest photo.

I have included the photo from the last thread, with the bonded swingarm and moto FR forks.

I have replaced the swing arm with a CAAD4. It was originally a mustard yellow colour, but cleaned it back to alluminium and polished it. At the same time I replaced the Hope brakes with Shimano XT brakes with Dual control levers. This also required an upgrade to 9 speed at the same time.

The only mods left are a stem with a steeper angle, new seatpost, as the one I have has been trimmed too short, and to change the spring in the Lefty from a brown to red spring to soften the front slightly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe he is on holiday. Ebay is always dangerous. I lost also 100 Euro. Wanted to buy a motorolla phone. No phone, no respond nothing.

Hope you get this thing.

Volker

mtbr member
    nic, nice looking bike. can't wait to finish mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi all,
    i have a wonder 00' super V upgreaded to caad 4.I bougut a Rock shox Revelation air 130with u turn.Now i must change the rear shox but i don't know if 7.5 will be a good solution for (my) geometry...i use this bike 360,for go work, so i must do a lot of street but wen a can All-mountains(i live in the italians Alps). 138r(6.5) and 130f (like now) will crash?150(7.5)r and 130f is only a good trial geometry?with 150 r, using the u-turn , 110 fron, will i have a xc geometry?
    Thx Marco

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVaru
    Hi all,
    i have a wonder 00' super V upgreaded to caad 4.I bougut a Rock shox Revelation air 130with u turn.Now i must change the rear shox but i don't know if 7.5 will be a good solution for (my) geometry...i use this bike 360,for go work, so i must do a lot of street but wen a can All-mountains(i live in the italians Alps). 138r(6.5) and 130f (like now) will crash?150(7.5)r and 130f is only a good trial geometry?with 150 r, using the u-turn , 110 fron, will i have a xc geometry?
    Thx Marco
    OK. I think I understand what you are asking.

You need a 6.5"x1.5" shock unless you modify the frame by cutting the tabs. If you move the forward shock mount, you could use a 7.5"x2" shock. The bike will work well in either configuration. The longer travel Uber V is just better for more aggressive trail riding.

And yes, the frame geometry will be more xc with the fork dialed down.

mtbr member
    Hi every one. I some what recently started getting back into biking seriously, and have a 97' super V that i want to convert to an uber. I'm not a bike expert yet, so i'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what exactly are the rear tabs. if some one could point it out on a picture or something, and explain what you have to do to them to fit a Jekyll swing arm on my bike would be a great help. Sorry to ask this, but i'm still a noob when it comes to bike mods and parts. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233
    Hi every one. I some what recently started getting back into biking seriously, and have a 97' super V that i want to convert to an uber. I'm not a bike expert yet, so i'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what exactly are the rear tabs. if some one could point it out on a picture or something, and explain what you have to do to them to fit a Jekyll swing arm on my bike would be a great help. Sorry to ask this, but i'm still a noob when it comes to bike mods and parts. thanks.
    Check out this thread:
    Any Super V's Out There
    Set the Display Mode to 'Linear Mode' and start reading on page 3 or 4. There are some pictures showing how the conversion is done. The modification is done to the frame front to fit a longer shock. The jekyll swingarm bolts on with no modification.

mtbr member
    Thanks for telling me where it is on that thread, but for some reason the thread doesn't work. when ever i click on the link you gave me, or go to it through the forum the page just stays white. does any one else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Ok, i actually managed to find the pics cached through Google (i don't know whats up with the actuall thread). I thought thats what the tabs were, but when i first looked at them i didn't look like there was enough room to cut. I'm pretty set on doing this mod now though, so i'm going to start looking for a swing arm. thanks.

mtbr member

Tab Cutting

Quote Originally Posted by evo233
    Ok, i actually managed to find the pics cached through Google (i don't know whats up with the actuall thread). I thought thats what the tabs were, but when i first looked at them i didn't look like there was enough room to cut. I'm pretty set on doing this mod now though, so i'm going to start looking for a swing arm. thanks.
    It's the thread called 'Any Super V's Out There'. If your looking for it in the main Cannondale forum list its been about 4 weeks since anyone posted. There's also a link to it through Tony's 'Post Your Pics' sticky. The pictures showing cut tabs show up around page 4 or so.

Post a pic of your existing set up before doing anything drastic so we can make sure we're on the same page. If you happen to have a '99 frame, no modification is necessary.

If you want to modify the tabs, the procedure involves drilling new holes 7/8" forward of the existing ones and cutting off the excess tab material. It is important to make sure that the holes in each tab line up with each other. I think this is the best procedure I've seen yet:
    1. Remove the existing shock.
    2. Measure forward 7/8" on one of the tabs and mark the location of the new hole.
    3. Drill a small pilot hole through the mark.
    4. Use the appropriate size drill (I think it's 1/4") and finish drilling the hole in the tab.
      Use a good sharp bit and be gentle until you have a feel for it.
    5. Draw the new shape of the tab around the new hole and cut off the excess material.
    6. Draw the same shape on the other, unmodified, tab and cut it to match.
    7. Bolt your shock into the swingarm and line up the front end with the new bolt hole. Make sure that it is perfectly lined up and then squeeze the tabs together with a c-clamp to hold everything in place.
    8. Double check the alignment with the drill bit and then drill straight through the other tab using the shock eyelet/bushing as a guide. A sharp bit will have no problem cutting through the aluminium tab and the alignment should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If any of you USA guys are watching there's a Jekyll frame and swingarm going here for $50 with only a few hours to go ...

ebay item number 150143734225

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

is this a

You need a 6.5"x1.5" shock unless you modify the frame by cutting the tabs. If you move the forward shock mount, you could use a 7.5"x2" shock. The bike will work well in either configuration. The longer travel Uber V is just better for more aggressive trail riding.
    And yes, the frame geometry will be more xc with the fork dialed down.[/QUOTE]

I hope this is a 99 frame with short tabs...isn't it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVaru
    I hope this is a 99 frame with short tabs...isn't it?
    Yes it is a '99. The geometry is very slack with the 6.5" shock you have now. It will be much better with a 7.5" shock and the new fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah...but i feel good with this geometry...
    So new shok.

mtbr member

Screw FedEx!

I've been tracking the rest of the parts for my uber build (fox vanilla rlc and mounting hardware for my DHX) and for the last 2 days fed ex has tried to deliver both days while i've been home, and because our apartment buildings are locked it says delivery exception - recipient security delay on both days. This pisses me off. All they have to do is buzz my apartment so I can let them in. Lazy *******s. So now, because I don't trust that they'll try again tomorrow with any more effort than the last two days, I have to cancel on a golf outing (don't really care about golf) with my best friend from high school so I can pick up the damn parts!

All they had to do was buzz my apartment! The apartment #s and buttons are right next to the building doors!

mtbr member
    Well, its got an uber rear end now. I rode it last night for the first time with the DHX mounted up and the rear end felt great. The bike handled pretty goofy though, with the uber rear and headshok combo. Its at the LBS today getting the forks installed. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

mtbr member

My Uber is finsished!!!

Going to ride in a little bit. The LBS got it done quickly. Just picked it up after getting the fork installed. Many thanks to rw420 for all the help and advice.
    Last edited by ryguy79; 07-30-2007 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    well, that was way fun. it rides like i always wished it did. i couldn't be happier. sure, it'll take some time to fine tune the suspension, but its a huge improvement. took some photos with my phone, so they're not the best.

mtbr member
    What's the widest rear tire you guys have run with the jekyll swingarm? I've got panaracer fire xc 2.1 front and rear. There's a lot of sand where I ride so I'd like to try a wider tire. I've got plenty of space to go wider up front, but there isn't much clearance on the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    What's the widest rear tire you guys have run with the jekyll swingarm? I've got panaracer fire xc 2.1 front and rear. There's a lot of sand where I ride so I'd like to try a wider tire. I've got plenty of space to go wider up front, but there isn't much clearance on the swingarm.
    Our East Coast conditions are very different than what you're riding but my thought is that you should start by going with a bigger front tire and leave the rear as is. I think that you'll find that the bigger front tire will make the difference you're looking for.

I run a 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro UST tire on the rear and a 2.2 Specialized Enduro Pro (non-ust) tire on the front. The version of the Specialized tire I use is no longer available but we've been able to find them occasionally on ebay. But I also run a different version of the Jekyll swingarm than you do. Yours is the CAAD4 which is a bit lighter but has less clearance for bigger tires. I've always had trouble fitting a 2.3 Vertical in a CAAD4 swingarm without some rubbing. So there's another reason to stick with the Panaracer on the rear.

mtbr member
    Thats what I was thinking. There's a little bit of clearance on the 2.1 but I wasn't sure if anyone had tried anything larger. I saw some threads with sketchy info about tire sizes on jekylls so I thought I'd ask here. I think I'm going to just try the front first. Its cheaper that way too! I really love the way the panaracers hook up out here, but the next step up in the fire series is the FR 2.4. Or DH 2.3, but its way heavy.

mtbr member

action shots!

finally got some shots on the uber. have i said that i love this bike???

Uber V Cripp
    Cool shots dude! Let me know if you need some setup help....

Jim
    Last edited by jdcamb; 08-05-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Horizontally Compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I'm running 2.3 Hutchinson Pythons... no issues with tire clearance (although it's close), however, those particular tires like to pickup small rocks with the side treads, which then hit the chainstay when it rotates through. I don't see how you could fit anything bigger than a 2.3 in the Jekyll swingarm. I've even thought about going back to a 2.1 on the rear, just to avoid the annoyance of the rocks hitting, but it rides so sweet with the bigger meats that I just can't bring myself to make the swap.

Congrats on finishing your Uber, Ryguy... it looks great! Enjoy the ride and welcome to the UberHood!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast