Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,217 of 2217
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just got my old Super-V 700 stripped down and ordered most of the parts. It's getting nice here in VA and I'm anxious to get this done and get out riding.

Thanks to the poster that suggested Blue sky cycling. I got really good prices on everything I ordered. It's all old stock but what the hell- my bike is 20 years old!

- Specialized Chunder 26" 2.2 folding tires
    - Marzocchi 44 RLO 26" Tapered Fork with remote lockout 2012 140mm travel
    - Shimano Deore M525 Disk 26" Wheelset w/WTB Laser Disk XC Rims
    - Avid Elixir 3 Disc Brake with HS1 rotor 2013
    - Canondale tapered fork adapter
    - Shimano Deore ST-M590 STI 9 Speed Brake/Shifter Lever Combo
    - Shimano SLX HG-80 9-Speed Cassette
    - KMC x9.933 9 Speed Chain
    - Shimano Deore XT M771 Rear Derailleur 9 Speed

That covers stage one. Still have to order a new crankset and still debating about upgrading the swing arm and rear shock. How much of a difference are you guys getting out of it? I'll probably just ride it like that for a while as the rear swap will be pretty pricey from what I can tell. I did find a local Jekyll bike (entire bike in great shape) for $300 but I can't really justify it right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-img_5402.jpgPost your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-img_5401.jpg

mtbr member
    Dear fingerstyle1978,
    About the swingarm, since it has disc brake mounts, it makes sense to keep it.
    As it is, combined with the shock in the picture, it should give you 80mm of rear travel.
    It is marked on the swingarm, as Active 80, though I can't see it clearly. There were some models, marked as Active 100, with 100mm of rear travel. Those had shorter tabs on the frame, for the shock mount.
    Cutting and drilling those tabs is an upgrade you could easily make, along with a new shock. It is a very common modification on the Uber Tribe. You should be able to find a lot of instructions looking back through the posts on this thread. It has no cost other than the shock upgrade, though you will need careful measurements, preparation and execution.
    Upgrading the shock, in my opinion, is inevitable for a stable pedaling platform, without bob. If you plan to go with a modern metric shock, you could possibly get 100-120 mm of travel on the rear, which would be more balanced to the 140mm front fork. That would definitely give you much better performance and approximately a pound less weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the info. If there's no savings in weight I think I'll stick with the current swing arm and cut and drill it like you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

A little progress

I'm trying to get everything fitted before I do anything cosmetic to the frame even though I hate the color of that swingarm next to grey brake caliper.

How are the rest of you dealing with your hydraulic brake cables on these older frames?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-cannondale.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-cannondale2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Complete, minus the rear shock upgrade in the near future.

Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-img_0002-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good! You could cut that seatpost too, for better clearance when lowering saddle and aesthetics. Just follow the curve of the frame at max height
    Happy rides!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Super V's just look weird without a Headshock or Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You look weird.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Summers here, and the time is right for biking in the streets!

Which means I need a new urban pothole jumper...

... which means it's time for a deep, DEEP dive into the parts bins...

... which means...

Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-urban-uber.jpg

(and no, the swing arm came that way...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi Michael,

That bikes looks like a blast to ride. Might I suggest a tie-dye shirt with some high-water bell bottom pants. We in Colorado would ride this in a second, but we are a "green" state after all. We don't care what it looks like....we just want to RIDE!!!!

Be well my friend,
    Donnie B
    LittledonnieB

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi from Colorado,

I have been hand filing my cable stays so that the hydraulic cable slides through it. I've done too many to count, but it works like a charm. Just tape off your frame, choose your files, then have at it. It doesn't take long.....2 or 3 cocktails ought to do it!
    Donnie B
    LittledonnieB

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Lurking in this chat for ideas regarding my 2002 Cannondale Super V500.

I am the only owner and its in pretty nice shape. I havent ridden it in about 10 years because I ruined the rear wheel.

Now......15 years later. It deserves some upgrades. I have already puchased new wheels, bars, grips, xt groupset, and disc brakes. I want it to be a spare trail bike and look forward to getting it back in the ring.

After searching for a rear shock, I discovered this little gem of a thread and need to know if I can go through with the minor modifications to increase the travel and modernize the pivot shock.

Do I need to aquire a different rear pivot arm to complete this process? The bike is super old , but it is such a fun bike I cant part with it!

DJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been driving it for some while now, i didnt wanted to post it bc its not jet finished, but i just had to

it drives great

I have to change drivetrain, paint it and get some decals. any suggestion on colors? this original jekyll green swingarm just doesnt fit in.

thx for all the help guys

https://img1.picload.org/image/rwira...887286_154.jpg

https://img1.picload.org/image/rwira...847285_547.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-21146185_10212876700887286_1548114568_o.jpg  

Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-21103816_10212876700367273_101.jpg  

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Red frame yellow rear triangle is a my factory color and it looks great.Post your UBER V !!!!!!!!!!!-20160815_155609_zpsvu0fur1h.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Red frame yellow rear triangle is a my factory color and it looks great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160815_155609_zpsvu0fur1h.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	1153923
    it looks great, i wanted yellow to, bc of wheels but not jet 100% sure.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Members who have read this thread: 37