Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Jekyll II Swingarm

Hello, I just wondered is this really a Jekyll Swingarm ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Cannondale-Jekyll...ayphotohosting

Is this swingarm really lighter than the bone one ?

Thank you Volker

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for your help guys, I'm thinking if I have to go buy expensive platform shocks I might as well do it once do it properly and get a 7.5" one, guess I'll have to start prowling ebay for Jekyll swingarms like everyone else then

At the front end, what do you guys think of a Manitou Stance Blunt fork with 170 mm (6.5") travel and a 1.5" steering tube? - I know a guy who's selling one dead cheap at the moment. Is that total overkill and if so, is it possible to modify the travel to a more reasonable 130ish? Will it slot right into the frame with that 1.5" steerer or is there more tricky Cannondale proprietary stuff that I need to be aware of?
    Last edited by Kia Kaha; 06-28-2007 at 01:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1975volker
    Hello, I just wondered is this really a Jekyll Swingarm ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Cannondale-Jekyll...ayphotohosting

Is this swingarm really lighter than the bone one ?

Thank you Volker
    Yes - that's a Jekyll swingarm. These are not the lightest swingarms that C'dale made, but they are the strongest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Which is the lightest swingarm for a Super V 700 from 2000 ? Weight does matter !

Thank you for your answer.

Volker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1975volker
    Which is the lightest swingarm for a Super V 700 from 2000 ? Weight does matter !
    The lightest swingarm is the CAAD4 which was originally designed for the Raven II. You will never notice the weight difference of a swingarm while riding since the additional weight is directly under your center of gravity. And you may also experience tire clearance issues witht the CAAD4. But at least you'll be able to tell your friends that yours is lighter...
    Last edited by rw420; 07-11-2007 at 05:11 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I've seen so many of those break, it's kinda scary. Not saying it's going to blow up today, but I'd source a better arm, if you plan to use that bike long term.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

ISO 2000 Norm brake - Jeckyll

How long is the distance between the wholes of the brake braket of the Jeckyll swingarm ?

I don`t know whether my Magura Louise does fit.

Thanks Volker

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's not the distance of the holes from each other, it's the offset difference from the inside of the rear dropouts to the inside of the rear disc tabs and 2000 and later should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thank you, for your advice. I`such an Cannondale geek. I just can`t sell my Super V.

Regards Volker

Horizontally Compliant

Here's Mine...

This is my current Uber...

'98 front with cut tabs, 5th Element Air, '04 Jekyll Rear, Maverick DUC32, Mavic 823, Avid Juicy Carbons, Saint crank with SRAM X.0 drivetrain... lots of misc goodies. It's rockin' 150mm of travel front and rear, 68.5 degree head angle and comes in at about 30lbs even... and that's with the fat tires, a stout AM wheelset and the burly Saint crank. There have been minor changes since this photo was taken, but nothing noteworthy.

It's funny how many odd reactions I get on the trail... I get a lot of comments from people thinking that it's a heavy "freeride" bike. HAHA!! I laugh at that one every time I'm motoring up a hill like a goat, or blasting a descent like a banshee! This bike is so good at everything, so balanced, so comfortable, so perfect, it's like having an unfair advantage, I almost feel like like I'm cheating.

Since deploying the Uber this season, I've made hobby out of going into dealers, riding their "best" offerings, then walking out, shaking my head, and feeling sorry for the Uber-less population, which is usually followed shortly by uncontrollable maniacal laughter

Bike 040b.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    This bike is so good at everything, so balanced, so comfortable, so perfect, it's like having an unfair advantage, I almost feel like like I'm cheating.
    So funny - that's exactly what we always say! It really does feel like cheating... especially when you pass them on the climbs. Sweet Rig!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Coils vs Air for uber build

I've been doing a lot of thinking about shocks and forks for my uber build. I've never been a fan of air shocks. I'm sure the feel of air has come a long way since the last time I rode a bike with air shock and forks (like 2001 or so), but I've always liked the feel of coils. Despite higher weight, I'm considering going coil front and rear. I'm not a big fan of maintenance and like to have as little necessary as possible. I don't want to have to worry about the pressure in my shock and forks. Coming from riding mx bikes as a kid, i'm more comfortable with coils. I just want to ride the damn thing, i don't want to have to pump it.

I was going to post this in the suspension forum, but since this is specific to building an uber v, i decided to post it here. figured asking the 'uber-v experts' would be my best bet...

I'm strongly considering a Fox Vanilla fork (unsure exactly which model vanilla, depends on budget) and Vanilla R Pro Pedal shock. The lower price of coils is also very attractive at this point in my life. I've yet to read reviews of these specific products. I know, bad me, its just been on my mind all morning and I wanted to post this while its fresh in my head.

So, other than extra weight, does anyone know of any drawbacks of such a setup on a uber-v?

Thanks.

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    This is my current Uber...

'98 front with cut tabs, 5th Element Air, '04 Jekyll Rear, Maverick DUC32, Mavic 823, Avid Juicy Carbons, Saint crank with SRAM X.0 drivetrain... lots of misc goodies. It's rockin' 150mm of travel front and rear, 68.5 degree head angle and comes in at about 30lbs even... and that's with the fat tires, a stout AM wheelset and the burly Saint crank. There have been minor changes since this photo was taken, but nothing noteworthy.

It's funny how many odd reactions I get on the trail... I get a lot of comments from people thinking that it's a heavy "freeride" bike. HAHA!! I laugh at that one every time I'm motoring up a hill like a goat, or blasting a descent like a banshee! This bike is so good at everything, so balanced, so comfortable, so perfect, it's like having an unfair advantage, I almost feel like like I'm cheating.

Since deploying the Uber this season, I've made hobby out of going into dealers, riding their "best" offerings, then walking out, shaking my head, and feeling sorry for the Uber-less population, which is usually followed shortly by uncontrollable maniacal laughter

Bike 040b.jpg
    Pretty sweet Uber there Big Toe!

Most folks I run into can't believe I still ride a Super V. Not around here so much as when I ride in other places. They usually can't believe it rides as well as it does either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    please ignore my post
    Last edited by carbon700; 06-30-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: posted to wrong location

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

my uber v, nice to see so many great uber projects here

I still need to work out a rear shock solution, but the rest is good to go. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Uber ?

OK, I've looked around the site and I give up. What's a Uber V, some Exotic German Sport car? Or just a modified Super V? I've got a 96 Super V 700 carbon and a 98 Super V 400 with the active SL swing arm. Neither have disc mounts and I'm looking for options.
    It appears that the Jekyll swing arm fits. Anyone have details or leads on a new swing arm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cool - got me a Jekyll swing arm (sorry 1975volker if that was you bidding on that one on German ebay - looks like I only outbid somebody by 1 euro! )

lwstrick THIS is the uber V reference thread. Basically as I understand it, it's a super V that's been modified by putting modern long travel front forks and a 7.5" platform damped rear shock on it (a procedure which requires a Jekyll swingarm and potentially some frame surgery). The greatest bike since sliced bread if you believe what these guys are saying, I'm very much looking forward to finding out in the next few days
    Last edited by Kia Kaha; 07-04-2007 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yes that was me :-). How much is the shipping to the USA ?

But I own a pbone one, which also works. But the Jeckyll Swingarm is about 237g lighter and as rumors say - stronger.

I just bought a 7,5 Fox Vanilla R. Hopefully the platform damping is working.

Volker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I've been doing a lot of thinking about shocks and forks for my uber build. I've never been a fan of air shocks. I'm sure the feel of air has come a long way since the last time I rode a bike with air shock and forks (like 2001 or so), but I've always liked the feel of coils. Despite higher weight, I'm considering going coil front and rear. I'm not a big fan of maintenance and like to have as little necessary as possible. I don't want to have to worry about the pressure in my shock and forks. Coming from riding mx bikes as a kid, i'm more comfortable with coils. I just want to ride the damn thing, i don't want to have to pump it.

I was going to post this in the suspension forum, but since this is specific to building an uber v, i decided to post it here. figured asking the 'uber-v experts' would be my best bet...

I'm strongly considering a Fox Vanilla fork (unsure exactly which model vanilla, depends on budget) and Vanilla R Pro Pedal shock. The lower price of coils is also very attractive at this point in my life. I've yet to read reviews of these specific products. I know, bad me, its just been on my mind all morning and I wanted to post this while its fresh in my head.

So, other than extra weight, does anyone know of any drawbacks of such a setup on a uber-v?

Thanks.
    so i've read all the reviews on this site for those forks and shock and i'm pretty sure this is the route i'll be taking. now, just have to find a new job since i just relocated due to my fiancee's job.

or get her to pay???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79

I'm strongly considering a Fox Vanilla fork (unsure exactly which model vanilla, depends on budget) and Vanilla R Pro Pedal shock. The lower price of coils is also very attractive at this point in my life.

I've always used air shocks and forks but I am sure of one thing: You just can't go wrong with Fox Racing Shox

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yes that was me :-). How much is the shipping to the USA ?
    I'm in England not USA, so shipping was normal Europe.

I'm bloody nervous about drilling this frame though, I think I might take it up to an engineering workshop and get them to do the job properly.

Can you uber-V gurus do me a big favour and definitively confirm the distance forward the hole needs to be drilled (frame is that blue one in my earlier post). I read the other thread again and there seems to be some debate over half an inch or 7/8 inch or something in between? Why is it not just a straight inch, if you're going from a 6 1/2" to 7 1/2" travel shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha
    Can you uber-V gurus do me a big favour and definitively confirm the distance forward the hole needs to be drilled (frame is that blue one in my earlier post). I read the other thread again and there seems to be some debate over half an inch or 7/8 inch or something in between? Why is it not just a straight inch, if you're going from a 6 1/2" to 7 1/2" travel shock?
    We use 7/8". The main reason that we don't drill a full inch forward is because of sag. The longer shock has an additional 1/2" of stroke. Assuming 25% sag, this results in 1/8" additional sag over the original shock. So under load, the longer shock is only 7/8" longer. We've also found that there are clearance problems around the end of the shock if we drill further forward than 7/8". It is especially tight for medium size frames. I've never tried to modify a small frame but I doubt if you can even drill 7/8" forward of the original holes given the small size of the tabs. But if you can find a '99 frame, you don't have to drill at all!

mtbr member
    My Uber light (haven't decided on one way or the other on trimming the tabs down)

Finally go around to taking a picture of her. It's a 97 SV 2000 frame, 2001 Jekyll swingarm and a mishmash of parts spanning the last decade. Absolute blast to ride and easily capable of keeping up with more modern designs.

Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member

Getting close to Uber!

Well, i've got almost everything ordered. Fox Vanilla RLC fork, DHX coil shock, reducer cups, and headset. All I need now (i think) is a new stem, but I decided to hold off on that until everything is together. The LBS I'm working with is being very cool about this build (Old Town Bike Shop, Colorado Springs). The main mechanic and I talked about the build for a while and we decided that I'm going to take them the parts, they'll put it together, then once everything is nearly done, I'm going back to the shop and we'll try to get the most comfortable combo of stems and spacers.

Its just waiting in the closet with jekyll swingarm on it now, awaiting new its new toys.

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You guys (you know who) gotta stop the GAY smiley guy with the thumbs up. It's like a bunch of high school girls texting...HAHA...

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast