Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

jekyll swing arm doesn't work. .

I have two of these 4000’s and BOTH original swing arms are cracked. Tried using the Jekyll type swing arm but found out the hard way about the offset. That’s why I went with the Rush/Prophet. It was either this, or junk the mainframe. (or find another 4000 swing arm.)

The Super V 4000’s mainframe pivot is centered, unlike the standard Super V, which is offset. Using a Jekyll swing arm on this mainframe WON’T work because of the offset. This offset does not allow the shock to mount properly. But the Rush/Prophet’s design is also centered which allows for shock alignment with the Rush/Prophet swing arm and front mainframe of this SuperV 4000 (and some 3000's).

The wheel base grew about 0.75". This is because the Rush and Prophet's swing arm was designed to mount more forward of the BB, while this frame was designed to mount almost centered over the BB. This is a medium frame and the wheel base is 45.5".

superRushV

jeff
    Last edited by az1jeff; 09-27-2007 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well that's totally freaking AWSOME... I just looked at my Super V front triangle / swing arm mount and the offset is only 3/16". What's interesting, is that I believe that the spacer is also 3/16" - which means that there might not be ANY machining to do on the front triangle. The way the mount is, is that it is round and would actually fit where the spacer sits in the swingarm, so that's the reason for me saying that the mount may not need any milling.

I may have to a wider spacer in on the one side, and a thinner one on the other, as the Super V inside width is 2 1/8", where as the Prophet is 2 1/4". I have to go get the Prophet swingarm late next week (after payday)!

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Good luck with your endeavours shag555. I prefer the safer bet with Jekyll rear route. Az1Jeff, how has your travel been affected? I noticed you're 1.5" longer than stock. Did it allow for a longer shock to be used? You should call it the Uber RV or Uber VD for (D)ownhill. Looks freaking awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    Az1Jeff, how has your travel been affected? I noticed you're 1.5" longer than stock. Did it allow for a longer shock to be used? You should call it the Uber RV or Uber VD for (D)ownhill. Looks freaking awesome!
    Thanks all for the compliments.

The shock on the rush/prophet was designed to mount at and upward angle, while the superV 4000 was designed to mount at a downward slope. The shock and the swing arm end now are close at this new angle, but do clear each other. Since this swing arm is mounted almost an inch further back, I went with a 216mm eye to eye. (The stock eye to eye on the downhill 4000 is 200mm.) This longer length just made the bike sit right. The stock length shock had the bike “sagging” in the middle and increased the wheel-base even more. I choose the rockshox pearl because I wasn’t sure if the FOX dhx’s piggy back reservoir would fit at that angle. The rear mounting uses a M8 shock mount kit, while the front uses a M6 kit. It took a little tweaking to get the rear balanced with the front, but like I it.
    jeff
    Last edited by az1jeff; 09-28-2007 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Thanks all for the compliments.

The shock on the rush/prophet was designed to mount at and upward angle, while the superV 4000 was designed to mount at a downward slope. The shock and the swing arm end now are close at this new angle, but do clear each other. Since this swing arm is mounted almost an inch further back, I went with a 216mm eye to eye. (The stock eye to eye on the downhill 4000 is 200mm.) This longer length just made the bike sit right. The stock length shock had the bike ďsaggingĒ in the middle and increased the wheel-base even more. I choose the rockshox pearl because I wasnít sure if the FOX dhxís piggy back reservoir would fit at that angle. The rear mounting uses a M8 shock mount kit, while the front uses a M6 kit. It took a little tweaking to get the rear balanced with the front, but like I it.
    jeff
    Hey Jeff,
    I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    Do you plan on changing the fork?
    How tall is the bottom bracket (unsagged)?
    Have you deflated the shock and cycled through the stroke to measure the rear wheel travel?
    Do you think it would work as a 29er?

mtbr member
    Do you plan on changing the fork? Yes. Next month FOX is offering an optional 1.5” steerer on all FOX 36’s. That’s my plan anyway. Although I LOVE the smooth headshok with Magura inside. Just not too practical with this frame now.

How tall is the bottom bracket (unsagged)? 13”. (I really wanted this tall length for where I ride specifically.)

Have you deflated the shock and cycled through the stroke to measure the rear wheel travel? Yes and No. Yes, I’ve run the shock through it’s stroke with no air to make absolute sure everything clear’s. It does. No. I have not measured rear travel.

Do you think it would work as a 29er? My best guess is yes. Maybe next time I’m around a 29” rim, I’ll try one.

jeff

mtbr member

More Uber V action pics!

My buddy took some pics of me on the uber tonight. Nothing crazy but we had fun. Hope you enjoy.

mtbr member
    Four (4) problems exist with mounting a Rush/Prophet swingarm to the 4000 mainframe:

1. Different size pivot bolts and bearings
    2. Front derailleur location and swing arm clearance.
    3. Shock clearance with new shock mounting angle.
    4. Triple crankset clearance.

Problem 1. Pivot bolts and bearings.
    The 4000’s stock pivot bolt has a diameter of 17mm. And the swing arm pivot bearings are 17mm (i.d.) X 30mm (o.d). The Rush/Prophet pivot bolt has a diameter of 15mm and its pivot bearings are 15mm (i.d.) X 28mm (o.d.). I had two options: 1. Use the SuperV’s pivot bolt and replace the rush/prophet bearing with size 17mm(superV pivot bolt diameter) X 28mm(rush/prophet swing arm bearing bore size). This option uses the much heavier pivot bolt. And this 17 X 28 bearing is not a standard size. It would have to be custom made and likely expensive. Option 2. The better option, which is what I did, is to use the rush/prophet pivot bolt and sleeve it. I used a 15mm(i.d.) X 17mm(o.d.) dry bearing. Works like it was designed, with zero slack. Cost is 0.74 ea. I preferred to use the updated, lighter rush/prophet pivot bolt and smaller bearings. I used the stock superV pivot spacer’s to hold the dry bearing’s shape while I kept them in the freezer. This made them easy to install into the main frame’s pivot bore.

Problem 2. Front derailleur.The superV 4000 is a downhill bike by design. It did not come with a front derailleur. I used one part of the existing chain tension mount that came with the frame and cut it down. This piece gave me derailleur pivot adjustment. I used a combination of aluminum angle and round bar to mount it all up to get left-right, and up-down adjustment as well. The derailleur cage must be modified, as the derailleur must mount as far forward as possible to allow for the swing arm to go through it’s full stroke and not interfer with the derailleur. I used a braze on type front derailleur. This type seemed more compact and allowed for a little more clearance and adjustability on the the back side. This is the most labor-intensive part of this modification. Lot’s of measuring, fitting, cutting etc. But if you’re plan is to use this as a downhill bike and don’t need a front derailleur, lucky you.

Problem 3. Rear shock.
    The shock on the rush/prophet was designed to mount at and upward angle, while the superV 4000 was not. The shock and the swing arm end now are close, but do clear each other. Stock eye to eye length (at least on the frame when I got it) is 190mm. Since this swing arm is mounted almost an inch further back, I went with a 216mm eye to eye. This longer length just made the bike sit right. The shorter stock length shock had the bike “sagging” in the middle and increased the wheel-base even more. I choose the rockshox pearl because I wasn’t sure if the FOX dhx’s would fit at that angle. The rear mounting uses a M8 shock mount kit, while the front uses a M6 kit.

Problem 4. Chain ring clearance.
    A triple crankset using the standard 22 tooth small ring WILL NOT fit. There just isn’t enough room down there for this size chain ring and the swing arm. To solve this, I used a smaller 20-tooth chain ring. Which works for me as I live where no trails are flat. I choose the Cannondale CODA 900 cranks which use the older style 58/94 BCD. This is a little easier to find a 20 tooth in this BCD. I had to space the crankset out a few mm’s as well. Another option is to simply use a double chain ring setup. Then no problem’s really.

I like the bike’s existing setup. I love the smooth headshok with Magura inside. But may swap this out for a 2008 FOX 36. Next month FOX is offering an optional 1.5” steerer on all FOX 36’s.

Last edited by az1jeff; 09-30-2007 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member

New question here. 950 x 1.5 spring on Fox Vanilla rear shock...

Bought my SuperV three years ago and have always had the odd feeling of having to hang on for dear life whenever I'd hit a bump and have my weight on the seat. Could it be the 950 pound spring on the Fox Vanilla shock? I weigh 165, what weight spring do ya think I should have on there?

PS I'm in the process of getting a new shock (probably go with an RP23) for the Uber-build, but thought I might grab a new spring in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Does that shock have any rebound dampening?

mtbr member

dunno...a little hard to tell with that much spring

mtbr member
    if it was adjustable, which is what i meant, you'd probably know. The Vanilla that was stock on my 99 super v 400 and it did not have adjustable rebound and could bounce you a little over bumps in the seat.

mtbr member

No, there are no external dampening adjustments

Sorry, didn't mean to give a flippant answer. It's just a basic early Vanilla. The only thing I've done is adjust the spring pre-load....all the way down! But I haven't decided on which rear shock for the Uber, so I thought a new spring might be a little better in the interim. What spring does your old shock have on it? You need the old one?

mtbr member
    My old vanilla has a 900 lb spring. I don't need it at all really. The spring always felt alright to me, but I've got about 20 lbs on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mxer
    Sep 2007

My V

I just finished this a few minutes ago, it's a 96 and the donor was my 2004 Jekyll. I thought the Jekyll was a little long, and I never rode it. I cant wait to get a good ride in next saturday. I have ridden @ 2 to 3 times in the last 6 years. I started racing motocross and forgot how much fun it is to go biking.

E.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Uber Update

Well, it's almost done. The only thing left are the wheels and discs which should be here any day now. And then to track down a proper rear shock since the one I had a line on fell through.

Before:

Now:

mxer
    Sep 2007
    Looks good . Bummer about the shock. I lucked out with the craigs list, I managed to get a deal on quite a few things, but you have to look almost every day, the really good deals go quick. I was looking at that jekyll and lefty you picked up, but I am trying to find another super v. This is what my project was going to look like before I decided to cannibalize?sp the Jekyll.
    I wish you luck finding your shock.

E.

mtbr member

Has the design philosphy changed?

Ryguy, I was surprised to see you had a 900 pound spring on your shock. When I browse the web for used shocks or springs, I never see anything near 900 pounds, mostly stuff in the 350 - 500 pound range. Is this an indication that frame design philosophy has evolved over the past 10 years? I'm guessing that in order to get 5 or 6-inch rear travel you have to have a much lighter spring, and then the rebound dampening has a chance to come into play.

Of course, me thinking about putting a new spring on a 10-year-old Vanilla shock is probably like rearrangeing the deck chairs on theTitanic...why bother? I will probably grab a Fox RP23 for the Uber-build and never give the old shock another thought. I'm just looking for the right deal and not sure how long to wait for a sale. Anybody care to recommend a site that has good prices on Fox shocks? Mostly what I see is @ MSRP.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Jekyll Frame/Swing Arm Alert!

mtbr member

My Uber First Ride

Rode my Uber V for the first time today. Absolutely amazing! I didn’t get off to a good start though. While waiting for my buddy to get ready, I started doing wheelies in the parking lot. The front of the bike was easy to get lifted; almost too easy. Before I knew what happened, I flipped over and landed on my back all while still clipped in. The Camelbak softened the fall and I picked myself up with a bruised ego.

The bike is a 99 Super V in Industrial Gray. The fork is a 07 Fox Talas 32 RLC. The rear shock is a 08 Fox DHX 5.0 Air. The fork is mounted to a Chris King headset with a Gemini reducer. Stem is a Thomson 90mm 5 degree. Answer ProTaper 2” risers complete the steering.

The trail I was on started with a moderate uphill climb which I noticed immediately was much easier than when on the stock V. As time went on, I became more confident and attacked steep rocky inclines. The bike was a little light in the front but once I got off my seat the bike just dug in and climbed. Rocks that I would normal go around I just rolled over. I’m not the first to say this, but it really does climb like a mountain goat.

Words can’t express how great the bike is on down hills. Sections of steep down hill that I would usually be on the brakes I just flew down. My confidence was so high that I had to tell myself to take it easy. Found a two foot drop-off that I just kept doing over and over again. Never did any drop offs before. I did notice the tail seems a little soft but not bad for a first time out. The bike just flew over roots and rocks. I was able to pick up speed over sections that would usually slow me down. Further into the trail was another two foot drop that I did at least ten times. It gave me a chance to practice landings. All my buddies could do was go around the drop-off.

On the way back we have a section of trail that drops a rocky three feet onto a wavy rock ledge. Many years ago I saw someone ride this drop onto the ledge and keep going. I never would have done this with my stock V. In fact, it would have been a guaranteed endo and a collision with solid rock at the bottom. Approaching the edge, I didn’t hesitate. Got off the back of the seat and let the fork take the initial hit at the bottom. I was so thrilled at having done it that I missed my line for the rest of the ledge. Not a problem since I went back and did it two more times just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

On a scale of one to ten this bike is a twelve. This upgrade has transformed the bike to an incredible new level. I can’t wait to take it out again. Many thanks to rw420 for helping me get this bike together. I couldn’t have done without his assistance. I’ll post pictures after I bring my camera out for the next ride.

Rich
    Last edited by Stinch; 10-04-2007 at 04:38 AM.
    Cannondale Uber V 900

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose - Ayrton Senna

mtbr member
    Congrats on getting your uber out on the trail. Your description of how it climbs is exactly spot on.

I'm so happy with mine. I'm cleaning stuff both up and down that I would have walked pre-uber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I found a crack in my bonded swingarm. It's only a small hairline running through the webbing where the front derailer cable runs up through it. I was told by a dealer that C'dale would probably replace the whole frameset, BUT WITH WHAT??? Anybody have experience with this - whished they'd give me a Jeckell swingarm - or even at a discounted price!

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinch
    Rode my Uber V for the first time today. Absolutely amazing! I didnít get off to a good start though. While waiting for my buddy to get ready, I started doing wheelies in the parking lot. The front of the bike was easy to get lifted; almost too easy. Before I knew what happened, I flipped over and landed on my back all while still clipped in. The Camelbak softened the fall and I picked myself up with a bruised ego.

The bike is a 99 Super V in Industrial Gray. The fork is a 07 Fox Talas RLC fork. The rear shock is a 08 Fox DHX 5.0 Air. The fork is mounted to a Chris King headset with a Gemini reducer. Stem is a Tompson 90mm 5 degree. Answer ProTaper 2Ē risers complete the steering.

The trail I was on started with a moderate uphill climb which I noticed immediately was much easier than when on the stock V. As time went on, I became more confident and attacked steep rocky inclines. The bike was a little light in the front but once I got off my seat the bike just dug in and climbed. Rocks that I would normal go around I just rolled over. Iím not the first to say this, but it really does climb like a mountain goat.

Words canít express how great the bike is on down hills. Sections of steep down hill that I would usually be on the brakes I just flew down. My confidence was so high that I had to tell myself to take it easy. Found a two foot drop-off that I just kept doing over and over again. Never did any drop offs before. I did notice the tail seems a little soft but not bad for a first time out. The bike just flew over roots and rocks. I was able to pick up speed over sections that would usually slow me down. Further into the trail was another two foot drop that I did at least ten times. It gave me a chance to practice landings. All my buddies could do was go around the drop-off.

On the way back we have a section of trail that drops a rocky three feet onto a wavy rock ledge. Many years ago I saw someone ride this drop onto the ledge and keep going. I never would have done this with my stock V. In fact, it would have been a guaranteed endo and a collision with solid rock at the bottom. Approaching the edge, I didnít hesitate. Got off the back of the seat and let the fork take the initial hit at the bottom. I was so thrilled at having done it that I missed my line for the rest of the ledge. Not a problem since I went back and did it two more times just to make sure it wasnít a fluke.

On a scale of one to ten this bike is a twelve. This upgrade has transformed the bike to an incredible new level. I canít wait to take it out again. Many thanks to rw420 for helping me get this bike together. I couldnít have done without his assistance. Iíll post pictures after I bring my camera out for the next ride.

Rich
    Excellent! So glad to hear that you're using the Uber as it was intended.
    Can't wait to see the pictures!

mtbr member

road trip!

jdcamb, ajm, and I just got back from an incredible 4-day tour. We has 5 incredible rides on awesome singletrack-

Mahlon Dickerson Reservation
    Jefferson Township, NJ

Hartshorne Woods Park
    Atlantic Highlands, NJ

Chimney Rock / Washington Valley Park
    Martinsville, NJ

Round Valley Reservation / Cushetunk Mountain
    Lebanon, NJ

Merli Sarnoski Park / Fell Mountain
    Carbondale, PA

Here's a picture of the Ubers on the top of a trail called 'Heart Rate 280' at Merli Sarnoski-
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    Excellent! So glad to hear that you're using the Uber as it was intended.
    Can't wait to see the pictures!
    I'm going out again tomorrow. One of my other buddies who saw how great the bike worked realized he needed a new bike if he was to keep up. He bought an Ibex the next day.

I really like jumping with this bike. But my Mavic 223 wheels aren't going to take it much longer. I'm thinking of getting a set of Industry Nine All Mountain wheels. I'll have to save up though maybe in time for the spring.

BTW, nice road trip picture. Any riding stories?
    Cannondale Uber V 900

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose - Ayrton Senna

Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast