Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your Trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Post your Trail

Since there wasn't a "Show your Trail" topic, I thought; Let me open one! So here it is!

Post pics of your Trail SL in this thread!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012

Upset wish I could...

As soon as I get to 10 posts. Just picked up a 2013 SL2 29er. Love it so far and i am in the process of upgrading

mtbr member
    That's because they're GTs with a 1.5" headtube and Cannondale stickers on them.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    That's because they're GTs with a 1.5" headtube and Cannondale stickers on them.
    Well then, that explains the lack of posts.... Better move over to the GT forum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkWVUin FL View Post
    Well then, that explains the lack of posts.... Better move over to the GT forum
    I'm joking dude! Let's see your ride!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    I'm joking dude! Let's see your ride!
    Lol, no worries.... As soon as I get to 10 posts I will show her off. Got a couple of accessories on the brown truck coming in so by the time I post it they should be on.

mtbr member
    i lost my 2013 Trail SL2 29er few weeks ago on the road. I do miss it very much, but since have upgraded to the 2013 Jekyll 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-289770_10151197951348637_1302626828_o.jpg  

Post your Trail-271147_10151189597693637_35311333_n.jpg  

Post your Trail-429353_10151188897963637_1769772386_n.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Ah dude, I remember seeing your post about losing your Trail...didn't have the heart to post about it. I'm sure the new Jekyll made you feel a little better though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2013 Trail 7
    Last edited by 50calray; 10-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Lol, no worries.... As soon as I get to 10 posts I will show her off. Got a couple of accessories on the brown truck coming in so by the time I post it they should be on.
    Slowly but surely matey! Have a look in the XC forums, will be some stuff in there you can post on. What have you got coming? It better be a lefty!

Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i lost my 2013 Trail SL2 29er few weeks ago on the road. I do miss it very much, but since have upgraded to the 2013 Jekyll 3
    That trail looks awesome, I would so take the line on the left Awesome bike storage solution by the way! Have you got your Jekyll yet? Have you got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    This is in Colchester? :O

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This is in Colchester? :O
    I'm not where Colchester is but that took place in Garland Texas (Dallas area) at the Rowlett Creek Perserve (RCP).

Anyone here convert their Trails to 1X7s? I'm thinking about ditching a couple chain rings for a single speed chainring and bash guard.

Just Ride
    ^do it!

I've converted mine to 1x8. Shortly after I got it last October actually. This is the latest iteration of the drive train. Check my album for the rest.

Currently running a 32t blackspire SS ring up front with a origin 8 chain guide. Works perfectly! I like it better than the bashwich I was running most of the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-trail1x8.jpg  

SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post

Currently running a 32t blackspire SS ring up front with a origin 8 chain guide. Works perfectly! I like it better than the bashwich I was running most of the year.
    why can't I find that chain guide anywhere?

mtbr member
    not to hijack this trial post. you can search for 2013 Jekyll 3 to see my pics.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice Trails. Can't wait to show mine. Let's get to those 10 posts!

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale View Post
    why can't I find that chain guide anywhere?
    Amazon.com: Origin8 Torqlite UL Chain Guide - 31.8/34.9mm Clamp, Black: Sports & Outdoors

I would have gotten an MRP but the BB mount won't work with the trail frame as you all should know. If you were considering that style you have to get the seat tube mount version. MRP is around 50 for the BB mount and 100 for seat tube mount. F* that! So I found this after a lot of searching!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=BoostN7;9818610]Slowly but surely matey! Have a look in the XC forums, will be some stuff in there you can post on. What have you got coming? It better be a lefty!

No lefty yet, but its in the plans. Just put on some Shimano 520 clipless, Thomson Elite post, Specialized Phenom Comp saddle. Have a Ritchey WCS Carbon lo rize Bar on the way. Might throw some odi lock ons on it as well..... coming together nicely though

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=LinkWVUin FL;9825205]
    Slowly but surely matey! Have a look in the XC forums, will be some stuff in there you can post on. What have you got coming? It better be a lefty!

No lefty yet, but its in the plans. Just put on some Shimano 520 clipless, Thomson Elite post, Specialized Phenom Comp saddle. Have a Ritchey WCS Carbon lo rize Bar on the way. Might throw some odi lock ons on it as well..... coming together nicely though
    Get some ESI grips. Best grips ever

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=BoostN7;9825309]

Get some ESI grips. Best grips ever
    I heard they were really good, just haven't had any experience with them. I'll keep them in mind for sure though.... Thanks

linkwvu
    Oct 2012

Finally 10 posts!! 2013 Trail SL2 29er

Here she is just gotta get her dirty now (notice the wife's new C-Dale in the background )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-cdale1_reduced.jpg  

Post your Trail-cdale2_reduced.jpg  

Post your Trail-cdale3_reduced.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here she is just gotta get her dirty now (notice the wife's new C-Dale in the background )
    Very nice! My misses wants a cdale also Get some Lefty's on them though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice Trails guys! Can't wait to show mine!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here is my 2011 Trail SL3 9ner...with the frame as the only stock item. Got rid of the plastic Cannondale bottle holders (waste of money, dropped so many bottles) and replaced the mech disc brakes with some older XT hydro's. I'm right around 20lbs with the XL frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-2012-07-09_11-26-02_431r.jpg  

Post your Trail-2012-07-09_12-08-53_72a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys, just picked up my Trail SL-4 this past Saturday. My first 29'er, unfortunately I haven't been able to try it out due to Hurricane Sandy, but hopefully this weekend. Got a great deal on it used through craigslist. I know the SL-4 is lower end, but I saved a bunch grabbing it used this way I can put some $'s into it. I have removed the water bottle cage and the reflectors. First thing planned is new tires, thinking a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralph's.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTyre View Post
    Hey guys, just picked up my Trail SL-4 this past Saturday. My first 29'er, unfortunately I haven't been able to try it out due to Hurricane Sandy, but hopefully this weekend. Got a great deal on it used through craigslist. I know the SL-4 is lower end, but I saved a bunch grabbing it used this way I can put some $'s into it. I have removed the water bottle cage and the reflectors. First thing planned is new tires, thinking a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralph's.

Nice! I like the Black/Green color combo. Watch that "upgrading" bug, once it grabs you it won't let go

mtbr member
    Upgrading bug caught here too...only things stock are the frame, cranks and the big ring...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's mine. It's the 2012 Trail SL1 26"

Planned upgrades:

- XT front dérailleur
    - XT shifters
    - Deore BR-M596 brakes (180 / 160 mm)
    - XTR wheels
    - Race King RaceSport 2.2 tires
    Last edited by qntr0l; 10-31-2012 at 01:41 PM.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    ^^^ Sweet lookin' ride qntr0l!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ^do it!

I've converted mine to 1x8. Shortly after I got it last October actually. This is the latest iteration of the drive train. Check my album for the rest.

Cool!

So which derailer and shifter are you using?

Just Ride
    I'm just running the stock deore garbage. Saving for a new bike, so I see no reason to replace something that works just fine. With the chain guide I don't have any dropped chain issues. With the bashwich I was running I didn't have any issues either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm just running the stock deore garbage. Saving for a new bike, so I see no reason to replace something that works just fine. With the chain guide I don't have any dropped chain issues. With the bashwich I was running I didn't have any issues either.
    I'm running a factory rear Shimano Altus unit but not sure I want to keep it. It shifts ok but wouldn't mind something smoother, just don't know enough and need to research it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    whats the big difference between the Trail and Trail SL? Only thing I can see if the headtube and marginal component upgrades?

I just bought a Trail 5 on clearance and am enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2011 SL2.

Mostly stock except for replacing those silly SB8's with some 2.35 Maxxis Ignitors. After racking up about a thousand miles on it in the last 4 months, I'm planning on going with a 2x10 XT drivetrain, a set of lighter wheels and a better seat sometime in the near future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    my trail. love the bike but hate the fork....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

trail 29er

introducing my rigid trail 29er , set as 2X8 , simple and fun , for winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-pb220278.jpg  

Post your Trail-pb220279.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi - first time here.
    Thanks for the photo. I am in the market for my first proper Mountain Bike. I have narrowed my search down to 3 bikes.
    Cannondale Trail SL4 (2013 model)
    Cannondale Trail SL2 (2012 model - same price now as the SL4 2013 model)
    or Cannondale Trail SL2 (2013 model - I'll stretch my budget to this)

Can anyone please help and let me know if it's worth getting the older SL2 (2012 version) over the SL4 (2013 model)
    And is the SL2 (2013 version) is really a worthwhile upgrade to get instead?

As I have mentioned, I'm a newbie I guess but I want a nice bike and also light if possible. I've never had a light bike and this is important.

Thanks - I'm in the UK by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTyre View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I picked up a Cannondale Trail 7 last month..

Replaced the fork and some components. now with Deore Groupset, Truvative Stylo bars and stem, and Formula DC38/DC94 hubs, etc...

Managed to get the weight down to 25lbs.
    Last edited by dexmax; 12-11-2012 at 03:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^^ nice photo!!!
    Cannondale Flash 1 Alloy (May 01 2013)
    Cube LTD Pro 2012 16" on its way (Nov 25 2012 Ordered)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

SS Trail 5

a Trail 5 replacing commencal premiere coz it didn't have eyelet for rear rack

before :

after :

regards,

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    put in a new fork..

mtbr member
    my 2012 sl4, upgraded rear mech to an XT, pedals to DMR V8"s, Continental Baron 2.3"s and lock on grips. apart from that shes stock, and im lovin" it. very nimble and quick

all spanky and clean, im a bit OTT when it comes to post ride cleaning lol, muc off, soft brushed, hosed off, PTFE sprayed then lubed and hung up to dry . sad but true lol. only takes fifteen minutes so why not ?

yeah, i dont slip in the mud any more !

lol my current screensaver !

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dexmax View Post
    put in a new fork..
    Nice! I've been looking at a fork upgrade and Fox is high on my list. What specific model is that and did you see much of an improvement?

What tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrfylube View Post
    Nice! I've been looking at a fork upgrade and Fox is high on my list. What specific model is that and did you see much of an improvement?

What tires are you running?
    Looks like a dirt/jump bike.looks like an awful lot of travel for the frame geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @ Jerrfylube
    I have ran 4 forks on this frame in the course of 3 months..

stock SR Suntour XCT 80mm -- no lock out -- very poor performance on climbs, although rides well enough on slightly rough terrain. But steering feels funny.

SR suntour XCT 100mm MLO - mechanical lock-out, similar performance to XCT 80mm

RST First Air 100mm - very light, and travel is smooth. Compression adjustment and Open Bath rebound good. Performance is more or less at par with SR Suntour Epicon. However, travel isn't consistent.

FOX VAN RLC(currently set at 140mm) - almost the same weight as the RST First, but the travel is so smooth and buttery. With the RLC, I just set it to lock all the time.

As for the tires, I am still using the stock tires that came with the bike. KENDA KADRE 2.1. I believe it is the one with the wire bead -- it is heavy.

@crazee horse
    I agree.. the travel is quite long, probably too long.. But since this is the "P" -sized frame (slightly steeper seat tube angle), I end up with the same seat tube angle (even with a long fork) as that of the "S" and "M" frames with a 100mm fork. The geometry feels better as supposedly I should be in an "S" frame.

As for the reach, I put a longer stem to compensate...

I am experimenting on the fork travel though, currently total fork length is 510mm, 10mm longer than prescribed. I will try setting it at a lower setting, but so far this feels good.

BTW, I love the green brakes levers and calipers on your bike. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have those..

Thanks..

Here's another pic from the side.

Regards,

Dex
    Last edited by dexmax; 01-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    She's looking very nice, that's for sure. I asked about different travel forks at my lbs but to be honest i don't think the guy in the shop has a clue . There's quite a difference in frames, im amazed how your rear triangle is almost inline with your cross bar . Which specific model is this bud ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is a trail 7 petite size. This is a women's bike, and the seat tube is a few degrees steeper than the men's small frame(my size). With the longer fork, the seat tube angle is the same as the small frame with a 100mm fork, which makes this bike fit me with extra long travel.

I got the cheapest model because I planned to replace the whole groupset anyway which I did after buying the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    One pic is my bike new and dirtless and the other pic is my bike improved with some dirt on it out on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-735161_10200233983914218_839164010_n.jpg  

Post your Trail-960x720.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice bike - what pedal do you have on it? is that the M530?
    I'm trying to decide between the M530 or the M540 - it will be my first SPD

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    Thanks! Crank Brothers Candy 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
    I put 540's on my trail, I like them a lot. Got them from pricepoint.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I ordered M540 on Friday. Was hoping they would come yesterday but they didn't. I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am about to upgrade the fork on my trail. it is of course 80 mm from cannondale factory, are you thinking 120mm is too long of travel for this frame? I'm going to try the suntour loyalty upgrade I think. and try SR SUNTOUR Cycling this fork .... Should i try it in the 100mm or the 120mm?

mtbr member
    I got hit with the upgrade bug a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-imag0203.jpg  

Post your Trail-imag0230.jpg  

mtbr member
    part duece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-imag0230.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    I am about to upgrade the fork on my trail. it is of course 80 mm from cannondale factory, are you thinking 120mm is too long of travel for this frame? I'm going to try the suntour loyalty upgrade I think. and try SR SUNTOUR Cycling this fork .... Should i try it in the 100mm or the 120mm?
    100mm fork for sure. It suits the bike's geometry very well and provides a good balance of trail and XC. I have a 2013 Reba RLT on my Trail single speed and despite having a 2012 FOX FIT/RLC/Kashima/120mm, would not even consider a swap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi J Hartman.

The Epicon is probably one of the best value forks available. And what's good about is that you can internally adjust travel (80/100/120). My friends even customized it to go beyond the 120, but warranty would be void. You won't go wrong with it.

I tried out its RST equivalent on my Trail. It was a little lighter, but performance was at par.

But when I had the opportunity to get a better fork. I went with FOX -- and really, I can significantly feel the difference. I am very happy with it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by dexmax; 02-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2012 sl3

My SL3. Only upgrade so far is the drive train and pedals. Everything else will have to wait awhile. I think my wheelset will be next if I can find a good deal somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-bike-1.jpg  

Post your Trail-bike-2.jpg  

Post your Trail-bike-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those of you that have changed your fork out on your trail...

I'm wanting to do an upgrade to my fork real soon. I have the Trail with the 1.5" headtube, what forks are compatible with this headtube? 1.5 tapered headtube? Is this a hard part to install myself? I consider myself technically, and mechanically savvy, so I feel i can do it. Just wanting a heads up on what may come.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Not sure if I have ever posted a picture of my Trail SL2 29er, but here it is after a de-stickering of the Arch wheels and fork and a bath to get all that AZ dust off...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-cdale-trail-pic.jpg  

MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I'm wanting to do an upgrade to my fork real soon. I have the Trail with the 1.5" headtube, what forks are compatible with this headtube? 1.5 tapered headtube? Is this a hard part to install myself? I consider myself technically, and mechanically savvy, so I feel i can do it. Just wanting a heads up on what may come.
    If your mechanically inclined, it is not a difficult. You need to purchase a headset for a tapered steer-er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Post your Trail

It's the Post Your Trail thread, and since I got my SL2 on Friday, it would be a bit rude to not post a picture of it. No work of art picture, but to me, it is beautiful!

After about 8 months of riding my Bad Boy Fatty 4, rigid, this new bike is a lotta fun!

I'm really surprised how quickly it accelerates, and how light it feels to ride.

Post your Trail-uploadfromtaptalk1360095883817.jpg

Best wishes

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Post your Trail

Post your Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360454722.384211.jpg
    Ditto...I got mine on Friday and love my sl2. Any suggestions on first accessory or upgrade?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360454722.384211.jpg 
Views:	1014 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	770184
    Ditto...I got mine on Friday and love my sl2. Any suggestions on first accessory or upgrade?
    Grips and pedals are pretty cheap!! That would be my first suggestion. On the high end I would suggest a good wheelset.

I would use the bike for a few months and see what you can live with and what you can't. I couldn't stand my derailleur and how it slapped around but you may not care about that. You'll know fairly quickly which items you personally want to upgrade the more you use the bike.

mtbr member

Post your Trail

Quote Originally Posted by ironsinker View Post
    Grips and pedals are pretty cheap!! That would be my first suggestion. On the high end I would suggest a good wheelset.

I would use the bike for a few months and see what you can live with and what you can't. I couldn't stand my derailleur and how it slapped around but you may not care about that. You'll know fairly quickly which items you personally want to upgrade the more you use the bike.
    Apparently my lbs says my wheels don't convert to tubeless well. That might predicate my first big upgrade. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

The only things I've notice after a week of owning it are the pedals. They are pretty poor. Also my rear brake could do with a bleed I think, even though the lbs claimed "that's just the way elixir 1 brakes feel" not true!!!

Other than that, it's brilliant. I'm now trying to decide whether I should keep or sell my other bike, a 2012 Bad Boy Fatty r4. It's also a fantastic bike.

Things to add.... I got a pump screwed to the seat tube and a little under seat bag with a tube, levers and scabs.

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    My 2011 SL4 29'er
    Lots of upgrades, not a stock part on it.

Just finished installing custom made set of fork decals. Even got the Rock Shox logo in green to match

Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone tried tubeless on the factory maddux dc 3.0 wheels?

mtbr member

Post your Trail

Anyone tried tubeless on the factory maddux dc 3.0 wheels?
    My lbs told me they advised against it...you?

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator

You can use a fork with a 1 1/8th" steerer or a 1 1/8th -1.5" tapered steerer. Cane Creek makes an adapter headset for both.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    My lbs told me they advised against it...you?
    no i haven't tried it yet. I got some schwalbe hans dampfs to try, and also thought about the tubeless route. Wasn't sure if the maddux rims were any good to do so. I'll ask my lbs and see what they say about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do you guys have presta valves on your rims? I remember that my stock wheel set didnt, therefore going the Stan's/tubeless route prob won't work.

mtbr member

Post your Trail

Quote Originally Posted by buSSalo View Post
    Do you guys have presta valves on your rims? I remember that my stock wheel set didnt, therefore going the Stan's/tubeless route prob won't work.
    No presta on the stock wheels.....

mtbr member

Post your Trail

Quote Originally Posted by buSSalo View Post
    No presta on the stock wheels.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Bussalo,

From No Tubes FAQ:
    My rim is drilled for presta valves but the rim strips you recommend only come with Schrader valves, what do I do?
    All that is required to make your rims compatible with Schrader valves is a 21/64” drill bit. Drilling the valve hole is fairly common and will not affect the rim’s strength. By having a Schrader sized hole, you will be able to use any kind of tube should the need ever arise.

My rim is drilled for Schrader valves but the recommended rim strips for my rims only come with presta valves, what do I do?
    There is no problem using a presta valve in a Schrader sized hole. If you like, there are reducer bushings available at most local shops. The bushings can be plastic, rubber, or metal.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Would love to have a pair of those stickers to put on my rock shox. Have any you would sell?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Any Trail SL 29"er riders that are still running their fork at stock 80mm; it's worth your time to adjust your travel to 100mm and give 'er a rip...completely transformed the ride and fixed the few complaints I had about the bike. I loved it to begin with, I really love it now!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Any Trail SL 29"er riders that are still running their fork at stock 80mm; it's worth your time to adjust your travel to 100mm and give 'er a rip...completely transformed the ride and fixed the few complaints I had about the bike. I loved it to begin with, I really love it now!
    Care to share how you did this?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Well, I have the 2012 SL2 with the RS Recon Silver fork, I just followed the instructions on Sram's website to remove 20mm of the total 40mm "all-travel" spacers inside of it. Easy-peasy, took less than an hour and I did a full seal service at the same time. Not sure if the forks on the lower models have internally adjustable travel or not.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Well, I have the 2012 SL2 with the RS Recon Silver fork, I just followed the instructions on Sram's website to remove 20mm of the total 40mm "all-travel" spacers inside of it. Easy-peasy, took less than an hour and I did a full seal service at the same time. Not sure if the forks on the lower models have internally adjustable travel or not.
    Great, I have the 2013 SL2 with the Recon Silver also.... Have to look into it. Thanks!

Just A Mountain Biker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's funny, I was just reading through the RockShox manual to look into servicing my fork, came across the section about adjusting the travel, and then found this post! Going to do this next week. Question is: would 120mm be too much?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I think it would slack out the bike too much and would probably affect the handling and could pose a strength issue for your HT/DT, as you are effectively making the lever longer and adding leverage to the junction. At 100 it feels fantastic and not as schizophrenic, I would try that first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nice bikes. When I get my Trail 7 I'll post up some nice pics

mtbr member
    My 2012 SL4, all stock for now, besides pedals plus I have some shimano m530 clip less for longer xc rides. Want to upgrade the fork next, then move on to the components. Really enjoying so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got it yesterday, love it so far. Pretty lightweight compared to my old bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I got this SL3 SS a couple months back. It's the first mtb I've owned in ten years...so far it's been a blast.

Post your Trail-cannondalelow.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just got my first bike in about 16 years. Haven't rode a bike since I got my license when i was 16. Friend of family owns a few bike shops so got a 2013 Trail 29er 5 for an awesome price. Got a Lezyne HV bottle cage and Alloy Drive HV hand pump coming in the mail to put on it. Need a new seat as my butt is sore from the stock seat! Mostly riding for recreation on roads and paved bike paths with my girlfriend. Loving the bike so far after a few days of riding it. Also getting a shorter stem as the reach is just a tad too long for my liking on the XL frame but it the Large frame didn't fit my quit right. Guess i can't post pics till i reach a certain post count

mtbr member
    May 2013
    here we go. I know its not a top notch super bike, but for my first bike in 16 years it works and was affordable for me. Loving it so far.

Post your Trail-20130506_133643.jpg

29ers Forever
    I love the new Cannondale Trail SL line, but I had a better deal on the Trek Cobia. If there was the same deal with a Cannondale, I would have bought one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I recently purchased a 2013 trail 6 26 in bike upgraded the crankset to a Shimano deore and the rear and front derailleur's to Shimano SLX. I have since found a great deal on a 2012 SL 5 29er and am thinking of buying it and selling my trail 6 since it has the sL frame and a 1.5in head tube. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? I cant really decide.

Also is it okay to put a 100mm fork on the 29er I know it comes with 80mm stock. Not sure if that will mess up the steering or cause any danger.

mtbr member

2011 Trail SL3

I purchased this as my first "real" mountain bike in 2010. Its been awesome so far.

Still on stock brakes, wheels, cranks, drivetrain, and forks. The forks suck and need replacing ASAP they failed early in 2011 (the lockout doesn't work anymore)

It will be 1x9 in two days when the parts get here. The wheels will be upgraded when the stockies fail. Forks will be replaced with Fox this season. Brakes are surprisingly awesome and wont be changed unless they fail.

mtbr member

Update as of today. New fork, tires, and its now 1x9

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    So I recently purchased a 2013 trail 6 26 in bike upgraded the crankset to a Shimano deore and the rear and front derailleur's to Shimano SLX. I have since found a great deal on a 2012 SL 5 29er and am thinking of buying it and selling my trail 6 since it has the sL frame and a 1.5in head tube. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? I cant really decide.

Also is it okay to put a 100mm fork on the 29er I know it comes with 80mm stock. Not sure if that will mess up the steering or cause any danger.
    No, it will not do harm, although it would be best to ask your lbs about if it will work (which I believe it will).
    Cannondale does this because unlike almost every other bike brand, they have 80mm and low riser bars compared to the normal 100mm and flat bars. If you can trade the 6 in for the SL5 with no loss and you are able to keep your upgrades by swapping the stock parts back on the 6 when you sell it, go ahead.
    I apologize if this message is a little late.

29ers Forever
    Does this thread allow pictures of Co2 bikes, as they are technically the elder Trail series?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Very nice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I decided to keep the trail 6 since I don't have to worry about warranty issues and such. Plus I think I just like the 26 in wheels for the trails I ride better super twisty and I dust my friends on their 29in bikes going around the turns.

I converted to 9 speed with a SRAM 980 cassette. Got Deore shifters up front now, SLX front and rear derauillers and a deore crankset.

Last upgrade is going to be the shocks. Looking at some manitou minute experts currently. Any other recommendations would be welcome tho. I can get them for 280 with free shipping. So I am looking at something in the 275-350 range shock wise.

mtbr member

Just put on new forte 26x2.3 tires and marzocchi 140 mm 44 rlo fork. 1 1/8 steerer so I had to get a new headset and reducer, also went with a hussefelt 60mm stem.

mtbr member

IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/badbinder77/IMG95201306249512062995314_zps1f5c5294.jpg[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the width of these Maddux DC 3 Rims? I can't find any sort of official specs on them, anywhere.

Nor do I have a reliable means to measure myself.

Steve
    Jun 2013

My first bike:

2013 Cannondale 29er Trail SL2. Two rides down and I love it. Got a great deal with the 2013 models going out the door making way for the 2014. Very happy because I would have upgraded my previous choice (Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc) for more than the difference in this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Trail-2013-cannondale-copy.jpg  

2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 17