Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Scalpel!!!!

429K views 1K replies 358 participants last post by  Flash29r 
#1 · (Edited)
A sticky thread for the Prophet but not for the Scalpel. Whats up with that? Just wondering before I head out on a ride on my Jekyll. Here's my ride in front of my 2004 Nissan Frontier. One reason I bought this truck is to load around my bikes and hit the junk yard.

Attachments

See less See more
#889 ·
Bought this today in xl, 1700 quid delivered on 20th sept. I think I've bagged a bargain View attachment 920916
I bought this exactly back in July. I love it. The components are very low level and you will want to put it on a diet. First thing I did was get an xt cassette... That's a .25 lbs. I would also upgrade to the opi stem. Other than that it is a great ride. Oh, and it is noisy. I named mine "creaky mccreakerton"

#1,101 ·
2012 Team Scalpel - new build

I really like the Gen2 Scalpels (2008-2012 ish) but they're not readily available these days of course. So I opted to build one from scratch. I'm also old school 26er, I probably will not ever ride anything else. (too stubborn I guess! My first MTB ever was a 26'er 1991 Cannondale SM700)

I tried building this Scalpel close to original, spec'ing out some newer components and keeping to a black/white look. Everything bought online from Cannondale Experts, fleaBay and LBS. Cannondale Experts are just superb if you're building a Cannondale. They have everything imaginable and quick shipping. Finally, no instructions on the build, just a lot of MTB, Google and Youtube pics and clips! (luck and bucks!) Weighed in at 21.5 lbs.

Pressed both bottom bracket and fork bearings. Note: I had to freeze the BB30 bottom bracket bearings for 30 min in the freezer and took a hair dryer on high heat to the BB30 bottom bracket aluminum housing. Then the bearings pressed in nicely as they're actually maybe 0.005mm larger than the housing. When pressing, one of the bottom BB30 bracket bearings went in slightly skewed, but all you need to do is keep tightening the press tool and it became plum and straight again. I did use the inner BB30 bearing clips, which keep the bearings from going in any deeper, but not the kind with the circular grab holes for pliers. (those are supposedly not that great) I do not notice any squeak or noise on them either when biking. The fork bearings pressed in easily. I did add just a skosh of light grease to assist with any friction as the bearings were pressed. I had never pressed bearings before, but honestly it wasn't too bad to do. Just remember the freezer and hair dryer trick.

Originally tried to use a SRAM Eagle XX1 10x50 cassette, which then required a new HD hub for the Mavic. But there is a compatibility problem in that the drive side axle adapter will make contact with the outside of the Mavic XD hub and then the axle will not spin. So I went back to a standard SRAM XG-1130 cassette which uses a std Shimano hub. In this way the drive side axle adapter fits inside the hub and will allow the axle to spin freely again! So doing so fixed this design compatibility issue. So far my goofy 11 speed cassette seems to work fine with this 12 speed system. I probably shouldn't do this, but the bike is riding fine at this point. (FLW! :cool:)

The Lefty wasn't too bad to fit, I used 1 red+3 inner and 3 outer adapters. I had to find the outer adapters at a LBS, as they are OPI meaning 1.56" OD, not 1.5" OD. The OPI stem is a bit of a pain this way, but I do like the looks and feel of it.

I had originally thought about SRAM brakes, but thought I'd try Shimano XT brakes instead. No regrets. They are simple to install and very easy to bleed. I had heard they are touchy, but that has not been my experience so far. I did use Shimano brake adapters for a perfect fit, no issues what so ever.

Hardest part sourcing was easily the Mavic Crossmax SLR front lefty rim, which is virtually impossible to find, but I found one in a EU bike shop. Mavic 135mm axle adapters are also hard to find now, so I had to get them from a EU bike shop.

Here's the BOM:
Frame: 2012 Scalpel Team Carbon Si, Large (white/black/green)
Fork: 2010 Lefty 1.0 Carbon Ultra 120 PBR
Fork Steerer: Cannondale Lefty OPI Std KH078 (improved design)
Fork Bearings: Cannondale Lefty Headshok/Headset HD169
Fork Bearings Upper Seal: Cannondale Lefty Medium 58mm
Rear Shock: Fox Shox Float DVS 165x38mm (2019)
Rear Shock Bushings: Fox 21.8mm and 25.2mm SCPL29
Rims: Mavic Crossmax SLR 26" (2012 white)
Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.1"
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 7 (black)
Crank: SRAM Eagle XX1, 175mm (2016)
Bottom Bracket Bearings: Cannondale BB30 KB6180
Bottom Bracket Bearing Seals: SRAM Shield + Wave Washer
Rear Wheel Axle Adapters: Mavic Crossmax 135mm (not 142mm)
Rear Wheel End Caps: Mavic Crossmax 9x12mm
Chain: SRAM Eagle XX1 (2016)
Cassette: SRAM PG-1130, 11-36 (black)
Front Derailleur: none
Rear Derailleur SRAM Eagle XX1 12 speed (2016)
Shifter: SRAM Eagle XX1 12 speed (2016)
Handlebar: Race Face SIXC, carbon, 785mm x 31.8mm, 19mm rise
Stem: Cannondale Lefty OPI 120mm x -5deg
Brake Calipers: Shimano XT BR-M8000
Brake Discs: Shimano Ice Tech SM-RT86S 160/160mm front & rear
Brake Adapter Front: Shimano SM-MA-F160F/S
Brake Adapter Rear: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2
Saddle: Prologo, (white/black)
Seatpost FSA K-Force SB25 carbon, 400mm x 31.6mm
Grips: Cannondale Superlite Foam (white/green)
Bottle Holder: Cannondale Carbon GT40 Black

cheers, DJ

Attachments

#10 ·
Got my scalpel 2 days ago after 8 month of waiting!! Sadly not in the colour i have ordered. But i also like the team frame, not so much as the green one, but what.....
An order thing to worry about is that they but the wrong fork (lefty alu) on it, so i have to wait 2 weeks to get the Carbon lefty speed.

Attachments

#11 ·
ribisl said:
Got my scalpel 2 days ago after 8 month of waiting!! Sadly not in the colour i have ordered. But i also like the team frame, not so much as the green one, but what.....
An order thing to worry about is that they but the wrong fork (lefty alu) on it, so i have to wait 2 weeks to get the Carbon lefty speed.
Sweet ride there! What's with the fork? Why doesn't it have the Speed Carbon fork. The Scalpel 2000 I ordered is at the shop being built now. I wonder if mine came with the Speed. What I'm asking is, did you get an explanation to why it has the wrong fork on it. I've read a few threads about some problems that are arising with the Speed fork. I wonder if they are putting the production of it on hold until the problems are worked out. i'm going to go have a look at the bike tomorrow, but it won't be ready 'til next week some time. This mechanic is very very meticulous I hear. Hopefully it will prove to be worth all of the waiting.

#12 ·
I also have ordered the Scalpel 2000 in green, but it didn�t come. So i change the CD dealer and this man built me up the team frame with the parts like the 2000 has. The fork problem was not the guilt of Cannondale, but the fault of the CD dealer. I hope I have not to wait that long for the Lefty Carbon!
After my first ride yesterday the smile in my face doesn�t disappear - i love this bike, and then with Carbon Lefty.... :D :D :D :D

#19 ·
WOW for the Scalpel

Trevor! said:
I still think Scalpels are one of the coolest looking bikes out there. I would like to really get a chance to ride one rather than merely do a parking lot test..
Trevor you will be WOW when riding one for a long period of time. It's flatout a great bike. I've only had my for a few months and really love it. It's old days MTN bike. When MTN bikes only had 2 inches of travel. But with stable platform technology and way more developed bikes it's not like riding a new 1993 MTN bike. It's much more fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.