Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-photo1.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-photo2.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-photo4.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-photo8.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-photo9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    23.84lbs

Since the last weigh I changed rotors and wend with a 170 front, changed to carbon brake levers. I want to eventually go with the fast Fred tires also. They are tubless now with sealant not crazy about rear but it was the best the lbs had.

The weight is with the crank bros pedals. I use them because I ride with my 4 and 5 year old and it's just easier to jump on and go with them. I want to run the ti eggs. Tbst should lighten her up even more.

Does anyone know where I could get a set of ti bolts for the stem and clamps on the lefty? All other fasteners are ti.

Grabbed the frame from eBay and started collecting parts. Built it in my apt.

Hope you all like it.

U

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    160 front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Naw! Don't like the red. Don't like FSA. And not a big fan of Mavic. My Scalpel is an aluminum frame with the 650b wheel up front and it's just under 23lbs. It's still in the works but I think I can get it down to 22lbs easy.

LA CHÈVRE
    23.84 for the bottle only? They put lead in Gatorade now?
    Nice bike UNOMYFLO...

Mine will be transformed a bit during the off-season, here's just a teaser:

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    23.84 for the bottle only? They put lead in Gatorade now?
    Nice bike UNOMYFLO...

Mine will be transformed a bit during the off-season, here's just a teaser:

Rear der, cassette, shifter? What else... That looks like a lot of box for just those three items.

LA CHÈVRE
    Bingo! Rear derailleur, rear shifter and a 11-36 cassette... With the big spread of the cassette (those 36T cogs are huge!), I'm ditching the front shifter and derailleur, going 1x10. Simple, reliable, light, efficient and elegant. I think it's nice that SRAM lets us buy a single shifter. I also have an unramped chainring, a KMC X10SL chain and a few little things... just waiting for MRP's 1.X clamp-on guides...

The more high-end or costly parts are, the more they feel the need to over-package them. And all the box section have two layers of cardboard! At least, it's not plastic and foam like X.0, it's all recyclable paper/cardboard.

mtbr member
    Bingo! Rear derailleur, rear shifter and a 11-36 cassette... With the big spread of the cassette (those 36T cogs are huge!), I'm ditching the front shifter and derailleur, going 1x10. Simple, reliable, light, efficient and elegant. I think it's nice that SRAM lets us buy a single shifter. I also have an unramped chainring, a KMC X10SL chain and a few little things... just waiting for MRP's 1.X clamp-on guides...

The more high-end or costly parts are, the more they feel the need to over-package them. And all the box section have two layers of cardboard! At least, it's not plastic and foam like X.0, it's all recyclable paper/cardboard.
    Nice!

Pictures on the scale?

LA CHÈVRE
    No pictures on the scale but I did check, the weights are pretty on point. The cassette was 208gr with the lockring as claimed, the derailleur 180gr so 1gr lighter than claimed and the right hand shifter was 95gr with the pre-installed cable but no bar clamp,it comes with the standalone bar clamp but it's not bolted on the shifter. I'll use a Gore Ride-On cable and a Formula R1 MixMaster clamp...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    with all the images on the side of those boxes i thought you'd got enough 'xx' to equip three rides.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    with all the images on the side of those boxes i thought you'd got enough 'xx' to equip three rides.
    I wish!

mtbr member
    No pictures on the scale but I did check, the weights are pretty on point. The cassette was 208gr with the lockring as claimed, the derailleur 180gr so 1gr lighter than claimed and the right hand shifter was 95gr with the pre-installed cable but no bar clamp,it comes with the standalone bar clamp but it's not bolted on the shifter. I'll use a Gore Ride-On cable and a Formula R1 MixMaster clamp...
    Nice, post pics when its all mounted up!

LA CHÈVRE
    Of course. It won't be for a while though, MRP wont ship the X.1 clamp on guides until sometimes in December... Then I'll be trying a few crank setups (different width spindles, different offset spiders).

mtbr member
    Nothing like going X-Rated. Good stuff, Nice Choices.

Moe
    <--Thats Me
    Cdale Flash 29er Carbon 3
    Cdale Flash 29er 2
    Cdale Scalpel Lefty
    Cdale Rush Lefty (2)
    Roots
    Rocks
    Raggae

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Of course. It won't be for a while though, MRP wont ship the X.1 clamp on guides until sometimes in December... Then I'll be trying a few crank setups (different width spindles, different offset spiders).
    Any updates Dan? Thanx.....

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by morati
    Any updates Dan? Thanx.....
    Sorry, I took it all apart to clean it well and... I rebuilt it like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-hollowgram_beer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sorry, I took it all apart to clean it well and... I rebuilt it like this...
    Hmm..You put that crank arm to very good use? Whats on tap?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Hmm..You put that crank arm to very good use? Whats on tap?
    Even though there is carbon and a Hollowgram handle, something that's not light!

mtbr member
    now with Sram XX 11-32T ( 184gr ) and RoRo 2.1 hope in 2010 i can get new weelset of 1080gr and lefty SL2 with 88+ and to drop weight of bike under 8kg with 11-32T

FRAME :Cannondale Scalpel BBQ 2009
    FORK : Lefty carbon SL1 110mm 1190 88+
    SHOCK : Dt-swiss SSD carbon + chims 155gr
    STEERTUPE: custom made steer tupe 119gr
    HANDLEBAR : AX-lightness 56cm 69gr
    STEM: Extralite UL3 100mm 87gr
    SADDLE : Tune concorde 60gr
    SEATPOST: Ax-Lightness Daedalus 27.2 / 350mm rider limt 90kg 137gr
    SEATPOSTCLAMP: B-T-P carbon 5gr seatpostclamp
    BREAKS: Formula carbon R1 + custom made carbonklems
    DISC FRONT: Scrub Rotor 160mm 56gr
    DISC REAR: Scrub Rotor 140mm 42gr
    BOLT: Tune skyline MTB bouten 13gr
    SHIFTER : Sram XX triggers 216gr
    REAR DERAILLEUR : Sram XX mid rear der167gr
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: B-T-P Tune Campagnolo Record 10s 60gr Met B-T-P clamp
    CASSETTE : Sram XX 11-32T 184gr
    CHAIN : KMG X10 SL gold 240gr
    CRANK: THM Clavicula DP + BB30 adapters 520gr+-
    BB: THM-Carbones ceramic hybrid 71gr
    CHAINRINGS : Extralite 44T 59gr
    CHAINRINGS : Extralite 30T 28gr
    PULLYS: Extralite Ultra Pulleys 10T 9gr
    TYRES:Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 388/394gr
    INNER TUPES: Supersonic 2x100gr
    PEDALS : Crank Brothers - Eggbeater 4ti 168gr
    GRIPS : Extralite ultragrips 10gr
    WEELSET: Dt-swiss XRC 1250 + lefty hub with ceramic bearings and 5gr ti bolt and rim tape = 1235gr

I CANondale

My new bike for 2010

arrived this week. Love this bike and i love the green linkage - i see a lot more white ones

actual 9,90 Kg
    with Schwalbe Rocket Ron but i think i will go with Vredestein Black Panther Xtrac - a little bit more weight but i prefer the Vredestein rubber.

changed
    Seatpost - Ritchey Carbon WCS 0 offset
    Bar - Ritchey Superlogic LowRiser
    Saddle - Fizik Antares Liquigas Team Edition

added
    LOOK Quartz Carbon pedals

Cannondale Maros Team
    looks really nice. I am upgrading a bit my scalpel too, when is don, I'll post here the photos

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    my previous (and current) Scalpel

Last edited by spartan23; 02-07-2010 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    with upgrades 10.6kg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just got this frame off ebay. 650b up front. Can't wait for the trails to dry up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2005 Scalpel with SRAM XX

I got bored so I built a Scalpel, I've always liked these bikes . My first bike build, total weight is about 22.5 lbs. Used a 2005 Scalpel frame with new 2009/2010 components. I did weigh each component individually, for example the Scalpel frame + carbon + shock came in at 2380 grams. I tried to match colors, making this bike's color scheme red/black with white highlights. enjoy! ...dj

Here's the BOM:
    Frame 2005 Scalpel 1000, Racing Red, Large
    Fork Headshok Ultra
    RearShock Fox
    Rims Mavic Crossmax SLR
    Tires Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.1", Evo UST front & rear
    Pedals Crank Brothers Candy SL
    Crank SRAM XX, TruVativ X-Glide, 39/26 GXP, 175mm
    BottomBracket TruVativ GXP 07A
    Chain KMC X10 SL 10-speed
    RearCogs SRAM XX, 11-36
    FrontDerailleur SRAM XX
    RearDerailleur SRAM XX
    Shifter SRAM XX
    Handlebar FSA K-Force, carbon, flat 600mm, 31.8mm
    Stem Cannondale XC3 Headshok
    Brakes Avid Elixir CR, 160/160 front & rear
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Antares, kium rails, white/red
    Seatpost FSA K-Force, carbon, 25mm offset
    Extras Cannondale Morse grips

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So my amazing girlfriend got me a 2010 Scalpel team edition frame and fork so I am looking for some build suggestions.
    Wheels - I already have a set of crossmax SLs on my Rush so I was considering Stan's ZTR or the XTR. I am around 180 lbs and want this to be a durable build so I am concerned about the durability of the Stans. Any other suggestions for a lightweight but durable wheelset?
    Components - XX or XTR? Will XX brakes work with XTR wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale4Life
    So my amazing girlfriend got me a 2010 Scalpel team edition frame and fork so I am looking for some build suggestions.
    Wheels - I already have a set of crossmax SLs on my Rush so I was considering Stan's ZTR or the XTR. I am around 180 lbs and want this to be a durable build so I am concerned about the durability of the Stans. Any other suggestions for a lightweight but durable wheelset?
    Components - XX or XTR? Will XX brakes work with XTR wheels?
    First of all: Congrats! I wish my girlfriend did that!!!

XTR's are a solid wheelset, and they are (if I remember correctly) about 1550g. Where they get heavy is in the Brake rotors. Now that the XX comes in a centerlock version it can be a little lighter, but keep in mind that centerlock is Always heavier. To answer your question, yes, XTR wheels are compatible with the XX brakes.

By going with a ZTR wheelset you will have less overall weight because the Stan's products are by nature lighter, and you can use a standard 6-bolt brake rotor. You state that you are 180 and want them to be tough and light at the same time. I would go with either the 355/Crest or the Arch's. They are going to be still light and cross country oriented, but a little beefier than the Olympic/Alpine or the Podium MMX's.

Components - XX is a great call. If you cant get XX, I would go with X.0. I admit, I'm a Sram addict, but speaking as neutrally as possible I feel that Sram does have a superior product due to their 1:1 Actuation that is in all of their products accept the XX.

Cranks are going to challenge to pick also. Is the BB30 to 68mm standard adapter already installed? If not the Hollogram SL is a no brainer if the funds are available. The Hollogram SL's are super adaptable because the spider can be standard mountain, or you can get the XX spider from Cannondale which only ads a few grams and allows you to keep the instantaneous XX front shifting.

Let us know what your decision is, and lets get some pictures in here, after all, this is the "post your scalpel" page!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So as of tonight I have decided to go with a full XX build with the FSA K-Force Light flat bars and a thomson masterpiece seatpost. For a little bling I added the crank brothers anodized green seatpost clamp, gore sealed cables in white and Ergon GX1 grips in team green. I will borrow some parts (wheels, pedals and saddle) from my Rush until I can decide on the rest.

Wheels will probably be Stan's Podium or Crest rim with american racing hub / cannondale lefty hub. The big concern is still that I am 10-15 pounds over the weight limit of the Podiums so anyone using them please give feedback.

Pedals will be the eggbeater 4ti but am waiting for them to come back into stock.

For the saddle I am at a loss. I really like the comfort of the WTB Laser but I should really go with something lighter. Suggestions?

*If anyone knows if the 156 p factor (XX Crankset 170mm 26/39) will work on the rush please let me know ASAP as I just purchased it tonight so it will be shipping tomorrow.
    ** Also if someone could confirm which front derailer to go with it wold be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What was waiting for me on Saturday morning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-2010-scalpel.jpg  

mtbr member
    ** Also if someone could confirm which front derailer to go with it wold be much appreciated.
    Full XX build, might as well go with the XX FD. I think its the 31.8 high clamp bottom pull, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You are CORRECT....amillMTB. High clamp bottom pull XX, it is.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a set of wheels let me know. I've pulled a new set of slr's off my 2010 scalpel to go with something different. Also getting rid of the stock XX brakes which are in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info. High clamp bottom pull XX it is (I was always going with XX just didn't mention it in the question).

I also just followed SRAM's instructions for determining the Q factor and it looks like a 175 will have just enough clearance to have the 156 q factor so since I am going with the 170 there shouldn't be any issues at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here's mine 21 pounds of pure happiness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-dsc_0026-medium-.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-dsc_0032-medium-.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-dsc_0035-medium-.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-dsc_0037-medium-.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-dsc_0033-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    jbbikerider - looks good! is that a medium? can you do me a favour and let me know whats the distance from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    jbbikerider - looks good! is that a medium? can you do me a favour and let me know whats the distance from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle?
    Yes it's a medium frame and the BB to seat is 76.2cm. It rides better than it looks.

mtbr member
    thanks for that - i normally run 76.5cm so very close. i had a large scalpel previously and it was just too long for me. i've been missing the scalpel lately... and have been considering swapping the gear from my rush over but getting a medium frame. decisions, decisions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    nice ride man

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    jbbikerider, how do you like those wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    jbbikerider, how do you like those wheels?
    A fantastic set of wheels on this bike. Stiff light and roll so smooth. I have ridden the **** out of them over the last 2 months and not one issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbikerider
    A fantastic set of wheels on this bike. Stiff light and roll so smooth. I have ridden the **** out of them over the last 2 months and not one issue.
    How much do you weight and how much do the wheels weight?

mtbr member

my turn

2010 Large Scalpel Team
    9kg on the nose as in the pic-with pedals, bottles cage, heavy seatpost and tubes in the tires.
    Gonna shed some weight by stan'sing the wheels, scrub rotors, ESI grips and R1's
    Wheels came in at 1263g without the skewer or rim tap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-p1020761.jpg  

Last edited by bikesinmud; 03-18-2010 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    2010 Large Scalpel Team
    9kg on the nose as pic'd
    With Pedals?

That is one hot bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here's my new Scalpel. Well, new to me. Was able to locate a Sobe frame and built the rest of it, part by part.

Post your Scalpel!!!!-upload.jpg

Cannondale Maros Team
    Looks like an alien, but I't really nice. Hope you'll enjoy it

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice picture

Hup, Hup
    Sobe Scalpel with Race Face Turbines and Spinergy wheels, very nice.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2010 Scalpel XX

The final build... for today. Waiting on Industry Nine wheels, scrub rotors and Ti pedal spindles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_0433.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The final build... for today. Waiting on Industry Nine wheels, scrub rotors and Ti pedal spindles.
    WOW!!

But just these wheels look GREAT on this bike!!!

mtbr member
    Never liked those wheels, but your new bike is sick.

Is it an I9/ZTR Race wheelset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Never liked those wheels, but your new bike is sick.

Is it an I9/ZTR Race wheelset?
    The wheels on the bike now are the Crank Brothers Cobalts. I am waiting on some I9/ZTR Crest wheels. What don't you like about them?

mtbr member
    I demo'd a pair and other than being pretty difficult to set up tubeless I thought they were a little on the flimsy side. I'm not a big guy either (5'10'' 160 lbs). The spokes also are a total turn off for me too, I dont like the design of a "meet in the middle" spoke because of the limited ability to get replacements. For racing I think they are a little on the heavy side too, especially because they cost just as much (if not more) than the ZTR Race.

On the plus side, they are not sore on the eyes.

That being said, I have nothing against Crank Brothers, I love the egg beaters and probably will never go back to another kind of pedal.

LA CHÈVRE
    I would add that Crank Brothers reputation would steer me away from their wheels. None of their products so far last, durability is not a concern for them it seems, they want to make things cute, not make quality products. Eggbeaters were a good design because it's light and work great and it's different from other pedals. But it seems that after that, they are just trying to be different for the sake of being different but not by coming up with clever ideas and solutions like they did with Eggbeaters.

Older Eggbeaters were better, not too durable and still fragile, but not overly so, just good enough to live with their shorter lifespan and failure risk to get their weight, feel and great clip-in/out performance. But newer ones are even more fragile and everything they have come up with since a few years has been pretty bad. Their headsets rust after a few weeks, their tools would last longer if they were made from plastic or wood and their wheels don't offer anything over other offerings except from looking different.

I'm in the process of replacing Eggbeaters with Time Atac pedals as my Eggbeaters fail. Last one was not at a good time, a spring broke JRA and I was many miles away at -10°C... maybe explains this post. My oldest pair is from 2004 and it's the only set that never gave me trouble.

Only thing positive is that the company will replace/repair their products in most cases... And they do have a nice logo. But I think they should get rid of a few designers and hire some engineers...

mtbr member
    I would add that Crank Brothers reputation would steer me away from their wheels. None of their products so far last, durability is not a concern for them it seems, they want to make things cute, not make quality products. Eggbeaters were a good design because it's light and work great and it's different from other pedals. But it seems that after that, they are just trying to be different for the sake of being different but not by coming up with clever ideas and solutions like they did with Eggbeaters.

Older Eggbeaters were better, not too durable and still fragile, but not overly so, just good enough to live with their shorter lifespan and failure risk to get their weight, feel and great clip-in/out performance. But newer ones are even more fragile and everything they have come up with since a few years has been pretty bad. Their headsets rust after a few weeks, their tools would last longer if they were made from plastic or wood and their wheels don't offer anything over other offerings except from looking different.

I'm in the process of replacing Eggbeaters with Time Atac pedals as my Eggbeaters fail. Last one was not at a good time, a spring broke JRA and I was many miles away at -10°C... maybe explains this post. My oldest pair is from 2004 and it's the only set that never gave me trouble.

Only thing positive is that the company will replace/repair their products in most cases... And they do have a nice logo. But I think they should get rid of a few designers and hire some engineers...
    I completely agree. I have not had a bad experience with their pedals, but I only run the Candy 2Ti. A lot of pro racers wrap medical tape around the outside and inside of the Egg Beater to , which is not possible on the Candy.

This one is Super Glue and Colorado sand (much more permanent).

vs.

But I think they should get rid of a few designers and hire some engineers...

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I will say that the cobalts weren't my first choice. I just got a great deal on them so I am using them in the meantime. So far I don't really have any major complaints. They are very stiff easy to setup as tubeless and would look very good if the hub wasn't gold. On the downside the are a little on the heavy side, the hub is very sensitive to skewer tension and the seals on the hub do not seem as durable as other hubs.

Regarding the egg beaters, they are nice and light but I would be much more comfortable on rocky descents if they had more spring tension and less float. I do know that Crank Brothers is releasing a new version on them in the next 1-2 months that will be much more durable (Ti pedals with no weight limit).

I will post more info on the new pedals and soon as I hear more.

XCdude

Question why the tape and/or

sand a glue. I just sent three of their pedals back for warranty/repair. I got the SL's, I can bring myself to buy the Ti stuff. My older ones lasted for ever ,actually they left with the stolen homegrown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63
    sand a glue. I just sent three of their pedals back for warranty/repair. I got the SL's, I can bring myself to buy the Ti stuff. My older ones lasted for ever ,actually they left with the stolen homegrown.
    Creates a little grip. some people think that they are riding on ice with them stock...read more (half way down the page):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

LA CHÈVRE
    The tape and glue is to make them contact the sole of the shoes more, tighten the contact between both. Some prefer the feel that way that gives the float more resistence. I do the opposite, I dremel the soles around that area so the soles dont even contact the pedals at all to have the float feel looser, more free... I'm one of those who love free-float.

Cannondale4life, are you talking about these?

They dont look like they will be more durable, the problem is not the platform, it's everything else. Unless they switch to bearings (bushings wear through Ti spindles over time and eventualy fail), the wings will be as fragile and the spring can still break...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The tape and glue is to make them contact the sole of the shoes more, tighten the contact between both. Some prefer the feel that way that gives the float more resistence. I do the opposite, I dremel the soles around that area so the soles dont even contact the pedals at all to have the float feel looser, more free... I'm one of those who love free-float.

They dont look like they will be more durable, the problem is not the platform, it's everything else. Unless they switch to bearings (bushings wear through Ti spindles over time and eventualy fail), the wings will be as fragile and the spring can still break...
    I haven't seen pics yet. All I know is that one of the Crank Brothers guys that I ride with told me not to re-order any more 2Ti and 4Ti pedals because they have a new version coming out very soon that address the durability problems, especially the weakness of the Ti spindle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

What are these?

mtbr member
    I haven't seen pics yet. All I know is that one of the Crank Brothers guys that I ride with told me not to re-order any more 2Ti and 4Ti pedals because they have a new version coming out very soon that address the durability problems, especially the weakness of the Ti spindle.
    Maybe they got onto Wade's idea/Ti-spindles? I have 2Ti on both my bikes due to the 4Ti weight limit but thanks to Wade they are now 4Ti and I haven't had any problems........(yet)
    White is not a colour

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurenuff
    What are these?
    New Candies:

And new Eggbeaters:

Good update IMO. Gone is the damned bushing, replaced by bearings, the internals are better protected from dirt and water, axles are stronger and they have rubber shims to use instead of tape or glue...

- crankbrothers.com
    - article on bikeradar.com

mtbr member

Scalpel 2010 Team

Bought this as a frame and was also lucky to pick a new Team color Lefty as I know there hard to come by.
    Some other parts came off my old Team Scalpel. Now my Scalpel go's with my Flash

Frame: Cannondale Scalpel (MED)
    Forks: Lefty Speed Carbon SL 110mm
    Rear Shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon
    Bars: Schmolke Carbon TLO 600mm
    Brakes: Formula R1 Carbon lever, Swiss stops pads and custom carbon alloy PM mounts
    Disc: Hope X2 floating rotor 160mm
    Shifters: : XTR Rapidfire with Yumeya parts and BK carbon handlebar clamps
    Cables: : Alligator mini i-LINK Ultralight with PowerCorz Cables.
    Front Derailleur: XTR with Yumeya parts
    Rear Derailleur: : XTR with Yumeya parts and Enduro Ceramic Pulleys
    Seat: Fizik Antares 00 with Carbon Rails
    Seat Post: Extralite the post UL 360mm 27.2mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Tune 31.8mm QR
    Cranks: Cannondale SI Hollowgram SL BB30
    Chainring(s): Extralite OctaRamp 44-32-22
    Chain: KMC X9 SL 9-speed
    Cassette: XTR with Yumeya parts
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 2ti
    Wheel: Tune Cannonball SL lefty Hub, Tune Prince Rear Hub, Sapim CX Ray Aerospokes ZTR Crest rims with Enduro Ceramic Bearings and Maxxlite 285 tires and Eclipse tubes.
    Bolts: All Titanium
    Weight 18.6lbs (8.45kg)

White is not a colour

Cannondale Maros Team
    sick looking. I like it ! Even if I am not anymore a Shimano lover...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    very nice Xgreyg00se -
    where did you find the green lefty so quickly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    very nice Xgreyg00se -
    where did you find the green lefty so quickly
    Thanks.
    Story go's.....A friend bought a Team Scalpel complete bike from my LBS but he didn't like/want the Lefty So I made him a deal. Bought a SRAM Sid XX Fork and made a swap. Think I got a "good" deal
    White is not a colour

LA CHÈVRE
    Very nice XgreygOOse!

Here's an updated picture of my Scalpel, I made the following changes since last year:
    • Switched from X.0 and Grip Shift to a 1x10 XX setup, old XT has been cut, dremeled, bent to work as a chainguide while I wait for a clamp-on MRP X.1

• Changed the bar to a Syntace Vector Carbon (super wide, small rise)

• Put a Lefty Speed Fox Terralogic (my SL needs a rebuild, but I like how the Terralogic works)

And changes to come soon:
    • I ordered some Time Atac XS Titan Carbon (broke not one, not two but three Eggbeaters so far in 2010, I don't trust them enough now)

• Maybe XX brakes (tired of the non-retracting pistons and microscopic pad-rotor clearance of the Formula R1, very hard not to get any rub on these things

• Maybe new wheels...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-29-2010 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Bought this as a frame and was also lucky to pick a new Team color Lefty as I know there hard to come by.
    Some other parts came off my old Team Scalpel. Now my Scalpel go's with my Flash

Frame: Cannondale Scalpel (MED)
    Forks: Lefty Speed Carbon SL 110mm
    Rear Shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon
    Bars: Schmolke Carbon TLO 600mm
    Brakes: Formula R1 Carbon lever, Swiss stops pads and custom carbon alloy PM mounts
    Disc: Hope X2 floating rotor 160mm
    Shifters: : XTR Rapidfire with Yumeya parts and BK carbon handlebar clamps
    Cables: : Alligator mini i-LINK Ultralight with PowerCorz Cables.
    Front Derailleur: XTR with Yumeya parts
    Rear Derailleur: : XTR with Yumeya parts and Enduro Ceramic Pulleys
    Seat: Fizik Antares 00 with Carbon Rails
    Seat Post: Extralite the post UL 360mm 27.2mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Tune 31.8mm QR
    Cranks: Cannondale SI Hollowgram SL BB30
    Chainring(s): Extralite OctaRamp 44-32-22
    Chain: KMC X9 SL 9-speed
    Cassette: XTR with Yumeya parts
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 2ti
    Wheel: Tune Cannonball SL lefty Hub, Tune Prince Rear Hub, Sapim CX Ray Aerospokes ZTR Crest rims with Enduro Ceramic Bearings and Maxxlite 285 tires and Eclipse tubes.
    Bolts: All Titanium
    Weight 18.6lbs (8.45kg)

Excellent bike!!! So you changed the Rockshox shock on the frame too?

mtbr member
    Very nice XgreygOOse!

I will have to post an updated picture of my Scalpel soon, I made the following changes since last year:
    • Switched from X.0 and Grip Shift to a 1x10 XX setup

• Changed the bar to a Syntace Vector Carbon (super wide, small rise)

• Got Time Atac XS Titan Carbon (broke, not one, not two but three Eggbeaters so far in 2010, I don't trust them enough now)

• Put a Lefty Speed Fox Terralogic (my SL needs a rebuild, but I like how the Terralogic works)

And some unplanned changes until last week:
    • Maybe XX brakes (tired of the non-retracting pistons and microscopic pad-rotor clearance of the Formula R1

• Maybe new wheels...
    Looking forward to seeing your bike. What size is the chainring? Its a shame that you are switching to different pedals (still love my eggbeaters) though I've heard nothing but good things about Time Atac. Solid pedals. Lets hope Crankbrother new pedals are better

I'm using both brakes now. XX on the Flash and R1's on my Scalpel. And if I had to choose, the R1's (hand's down). Don't get me wrong, the XX are very good set of brakes but I've using R1's for over a year and I just don't like the feel of the XX. Also XX are just as bad on rubbing on the brake rotors,ok not as bad but they do still rub most of the time. So on these things, I have order another set of R1's (white) and a pair of Mixmasters for the Flash.
    White is not a colour

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Looking forward to seeing your bike. What size is the chainring? Its a shame that you are switching to different pedals (still love my eggbeaters) though I've heard nothing but good things about Time Atac. Solid pedals. Lets hope Crankbrother new pedals are better

I'm using both brakes now. XX on the Flash and R1's on my Scalpel. And if I had to choose, the R1's (hand's down). Don't get me wrong, the XX are very good set of brakes but I've using R1's for over a year and I just don't like the feel of the XX. Also XX are just as bad on rubbing on the brake rotors,ok not as bad but they do still rub most of the time. So on these things, I have order another set of R1's (white) and a pair of Mixmasters for the Flash.
    I updated my above post with a picture... RIght now I have a 32T ring, with the 11-36 cassette, I get pretty much the smae lowest gear as the 29x34 I had with the 2x9 and only lose the top 2 gears, 44x11, 44x13 (I have been training to handle faster cadences this winter).

You want my R1?

mtbr member
    • Maybe new wheels...
    What happened to your ZTR 7000's?

LA CHÈVRE
    What happened to your ZTR 7000's?
    I sold them last year, too flimsy for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I sold them last year, too flimsy for my tastes.
    edge rims with the I9 hubs? or the new formula rims?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    edge rims with the I9 hubs? or the new formula rims?
    Not as wild, like these but it's not sure, one of my parts pusher didn't gave me the price yet and I will only get them if the deal is too good to pass:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_2881_164.jpg  

Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_2880_165.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Dan- sounds like you have an awesome drivetrain. Hmm?? thats something to consider as I love my 29/34 on climbs and hardly use a 42/11 (but constantly use my big 42t on many occasions just not that low).

How do you like the Ralph and Ron combo? I'm currently running Furious Freds and Rons upfront. I'm amazed of how well the Rons grip upfront (even on wet/ muddy conditions) and the Freds propelled and followed nicely .

Xgreyg00se- wow you got lucky on the Lefty
    does the bike hold well for being 18lbs? I ride a 21lb Scalpel thats extremely durable for my body frame (157lbs), Im thinking of pushing it a bit more (weight drop) but concerned about durability.
    Last edited by spartan23; 04-29-2010 at 10:06 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    Dan- sounds like you ghave an awesome drivetrain. Hmm?? thats something to consider as I love my 29/34 on climbs and hardly use a 42/11 (but constantly use my big 42t on many occasions just not that low.

How do you like the Ralph and Ron combo? I'm currently running Furious Freds and Rons upfront. I'm amazed of how well the Rons grip upfront (even on wet/ muddy conditions) and the Freds propelled and followed nicely .

Xgreyg00se- wow you got lucky on the Lefty
    does the bike hold well for being 18lbs? I ride a 21lb Scalpel thats extremely durable for my body frame (157lbs), Im thinking of pushing it a bit more (weight drop) but concerened about durability.
    spartan23: the drivetrain is great, fast, smooth shifts, one ring means no more slow front shifts, much less (if any at all) chances of chainsucks (even with a well adjusted/maintained setup, it happens in muddy conditions, especially during a race where you can shift under load and not as smoothly in the heat of the action) and lighter on top of that (one less ring, one less cable and housing, one less shifter).

I too used the 42T ring a lot combined with most of the 11-34 cassette, but mostly in the middle and big cogs. With the 32T ring, I just use the smaller cogs more and the top of the cassette on steeper climbs. Here's my DIY chainguide, it's an old XT derailleur, I cut both sides of the cage so I could lower it so the chain is trapped from the top and clear the chainstay, then I bent the outside rear portion of the cage underneath the chain for more security. I cut the cable bolt anchor area and set the limit screws to keep it fixed just right side to side. Works well so far but I haven't tested it in super technical rough trails (that will be saturday hopefully)... It's just temporary as I have one of the first MRP 1.X clamp-on guide reserved already.

I really like the Ralph and Ron combo. I used to have two Ralphs and it was great but the front Ron is a bit better in looser stuff and in mud while not slowing me down much on smoother and harder surfaces. The Ralph is no Fred but it's still fast while providing much more grip on a broader range of conditions, Furious Freds are no good on the trails we have around here, we have lots of roots, rocks, there are always some wet and mud sections...

As it is pictured, my Scalpel is 20lbs, very good with durable but heavy Crossmax SLR wheels, UST tires, the heavier Lefty Speed Terralogic and a 680mm wide riser bar.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-29-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added picture and details

Cannondale Maros Team
    From Today I got new wheels, powercordz and new pedals on my scalpel. that means 285 grams off.

When I'll come back from the race I will post some photos.

Vlad

mtbr member
    Here is my 2010 custom scalpel :

seatpost KCNC :

Low rise Ritchey bar :

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

My 06 Scalpel (SL110 carbon & Xmax SLR wheelset), 09 F29er, and 10 4Runner -- the new bike hauler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mete
    Hmm... Interesting fork. What exactly is it? Is that an XX crank, too?

XCdude

Only three ha we broke

And changes to come soon:
    • I ordered some Time Atac XS Titan Carbon (broke not one, not two but three Eggbeaters so far in 2010, I don't trust them enough now)

• Maybe XX brakes (tired of the non-retracting pistons and microscopic pad-rotor clearance of the Formula R1, very hard not to get any rub on these things

• Maybe new wheels...
    [/QUOTE]

three in one day, hell a ride. We are on the last try of them, I been using them for years but after this I don't know , so far they broke during a training ride not a race.. I was looking at the bebop pedals they are light enough.

mtbr member
    New Scalpel for me... Had a large previously but the medium fits so much better. This bike rocks. 9.1kg as seen in the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_8203.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Hmm... Interesting fork. What exactly is it?
    german:a kilo 1.2

Is that an XX crank, too?
    Yes, it is.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    New Scalpel for me... Had a large previously but the medium fits so much better. This bike rocks. 9.1kg as seen in the pic...

I'm 5'10"/178cm and love my Medium. I do need a long seatpost and a 120/-5 stem but it works for me. But the LBS owner/team rider guy who sold it to me rides a large. He's kinda gone back and forth. And my 54cm SuperSix is probably just barely big enough...

Anyway was on my Scalpel yesterday and again had the feeling if I couldn't run the 2.25 UST Rocket Ron on the back, or something comperable in size, it would really not be as fun a bike.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    mete: weight?
    Cannondale Rush 35th anniversary 2

LA CHÈVRE
    Nathanbal, nice bike! What sizes are your Rocket Rons? The non-UST Racing Ralph 2.1 are pretty small, smaller than the UST so I'm wondering if 2.25 Ralphs or Rons fit in the rear with enough space...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I run 2.25 Rocket Rons on a 717 mavic rim - they fit in the rear triangle without rub.

mtbr member
    Nathanbal, nice bike! What sizes are your Rocket Rons? The non-UST Racing Ralph 2.1 are pretty small, smaller than the UST so I'm wondering if 2.25 Ralphs or Rons fit in the rear with enough space...
    Thanks Dan. These are 2.1. I had a 2.25 racing ralph on these rims before I mounted the rocket ron 2.1's and they rubbed. 99% of the time when it rubs I am out of the saddle pushing hard up a hill. I had previously tried a 2.25 UST rocket ron on xmax SLRs and it rubbed as well. Next step is to try and see if a normal 2.25 rocket ron works without rubbing - they look a touch smaller than the 2.25 racing ralph.

I'm 80kg so this may have a lot to do with it - there are plenty of guys who dont have an issue with the 2.25 schwalbe tyres in the rear.

mtbr member
    should have also mentioned that the MMX podiums have a nice wide profile which, in theory, is supposed to give a bigger profile tyre size when inflated which may also contribute to the rubbing for me.

LA CHÈVRE
    Thanks. I would install them tubeless on DT Swiss XCR 1.2 wheels, probably closer to the Mavics in width but stiffer than Crossmax SLRs and Stan's wheels... and I weigh around 70kg now. But I think I'll use a 2.25 on the front, stay with a 2.1 on the rear...

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had to get it re-dished but the Crossmax SLR Rocket Ron UST 2.25 rear combo works. It's actually amazing when pared with the 2.4 Rocket Ron up front. Not a racer's setup maybe, but for everyday it makes the Scalpel into an "all-mountain" machine.
    Last edited by YB1; 05-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    agreed, the Scalpel handles so well with larger volume tyres. i had race king supersonic 2.2 tyres setup tubeless not long ago for a couple of races and the extra volume was great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I had to get it re-dished but the Crossmax SLR Rocket Ron UST 2.25 rear combo works. It's actually amazing when pared with the 2.4 Rocket Ron up front. Not a racer's setup maybe, but for everyday it makes the Scalpel into an "all-mountain" machine.
    is your scalpel posted up here? would be interested to see the 2.25/2.4 combo!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I would install them tubeless on DT Swiss XCR 1.2 wheels, probably closer to the Mavics in width but stiffer than Crossmax SLRs and Stan's wheels... and I weigh around 70kg now. But I think I'll use a 2.25 on the front, stay with a 2.1 on the rear...
    do you really think the XCR 1.2 wheels are going to be stiffer? Especially compared to the SLRs? I am lucky that since I'm outside of the US I can get the MMX Podium as rims only and built them up 3X with brass nipples which has yielded a stiffer wheelset overall. Slightly heavier than the Race wheelset from Stan's website (1210g v 1270g) but I was more than willing to sacrifice the extra, minimal weight gain. I cant tell the difference between these wheels and the SLRs I used to run.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think I might have put this up before but here it is again with the big tires. Again, I don't race much so I don't need 2.0's on this bike and I enjoy it much more at just under 22 lbs. with the big tires. The front has a tube in it. I'd take it out for certain thorny riding locations and add Stan's. I've got almost 3/4ths of a centimeter on the non-drive side and almost a full centimeter on the drive side clearance on the metal bracket. There's less than a millimeter deep of wear in the non-drive side of the very aft inside edge of this bracket from muddy days, no concern I would think.

edit...So I looked at a meter stick and I probably overestimated my clearances a bit. probably 4mm and 6mm is closer to the truth but anyway clearance is adequate that's the main thing. But it did require re-dishing before it was a workable solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-p1010097.jpg  

Last edited by YB1; 05-12-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    do you really think the XCR 1.2 wheels are going to be stiffer? Especially compared to the SLRs? I am lucky that since I'm outside of the US I can get the MMX Podium as rims only and built them up 3X with brass nipples which has yielded a stiffer wheelset overall. Slightly heavier than the Race wheelset from Stan's website (1210g v 1270g) but I was more than willing to sacrifice the extra, minimal weight gain. I cant tell the difference between these wheels and the SLRs I used to run.
    I'll let you know once I have them but from what I heard, I think a DT XCR carbon rim without spokes is almost as stiff as a complete tensioned Crossmax wheel and they can handle high spoke tensions when built...

Looking at the space around my Racing Ralph right now, I think I'll try a 2.25, it should fit. If it's super muddy, I'll put back a Rocket Ron 2.1...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by de1mos
    mete: weight?
    9,25kg

mtbr member
    getting the bike ready for a 12h race and put the 2.25 tyres and Time Atac's back on... My Hope Race X2 arrived as well... as did the Flash seatpost! Weight is now at 9.2kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_8207.jpg  

LA CHÈVRE
    Looks nice again! Triple suspension! All that's missing is a Girvin Flex-Stem!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast