Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
    LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    Dan- sounds like you ghave an awesome drivetrain. Hmm?? thats something to consider as I love my 29/34 on climbs and hardly use a 42/11 (but constantly use my big 42t on many occasions just not that low.

How do you like the Ralph and Ron combo? I'm currently running Furious Freds and Rons upfront. I'm amazed of how well the Rons grip upfront (even on wet/ muddy conditions) and the Freds propelled and followed nicely .

Xgreyg00se- wow you got lucky on the Lefty
    does the bike hold well for being 18lbs? I ride a 21lb Scalpel thats extremely durable for my body frame (157lbs), Im thinking of pushing it a bit more (weight drop) but concerened about durability.
    spartan23: the drivetrain is great, fast, smooth shifts, one ring means no more slow front shifts, much less (if any at all) chances of chainsucks (even with a well adjusted/maintained setup, it happens in muddy conditions, especially during a race where you can shift under load and not as smoothly in the heat of the action) and lighter on top of that (one less ring, one less cable and housing, one less shifter).

I too used the 42T ring a lot combined with most of the 11-34 cassette, but mostly in the middle and big cogs. With the 32T ring, I just use the smaller cogs more and the top of the cassette on steeper climbs. Here's my DIY chainguide, it's an old XT derailleur, I cut both sides of the cage so I could lower it so the chain is trapped from the top and clear the chainstay, then I bent the outside rear portion of the cage underneath the chain for more security. I cut the cable bolt anchor area and set the limit screws to keep it fixed just right side to side. Works well so far but I haven't tested it in super technical rough trails (that will be saturday hopefully)... It's just temporary as I have one of the first MRP 1.X clamp-on guide reserved already.

I really like the Ralph and Ron combo. I used to have two Ralphs and it was great but the front Ron is a bit better in looser stuff and in mud while not slowing me down much on smoother and harder surfaces. The Ralph is no Fred but it's still fast while providing much more grip on a broader range of conditions, Furious Freds are no good on the trails we have around here, we have lots of roots, rocks, there are always some wet and mud sections...

As it is pictured, my Scalpel is 20lbs, very good with durable but heavy Crossmax SLR wheels, UST tires, the heavier Lefty Speed Terralogic and a 680mm wide riser bar.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-29-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added picture and details

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Cannondale Maros Team
    From Today I got new wheels, powercordz and new pedals on my scalpel. that means 285 grams off.

When I'll come back from the race I will post some photos.

Vlad

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is my 2010 custom scalpel :

seatpost KCNC :

Low rise Ritchey bar :

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

My 06 Scalpel (SL110 carbon & Xmax SLR wheelset), 09 F29er, and 10 4Runner -- the new bike hauler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mete
    Hmm... Interesting fork. What exactly is it? Is that an XX crank, too?

XCdude

Only three ha we broke

And changes to come soon:
    • I ordered some Time Atac XS Titan Carbon (broke not one, not two but three Eggbeaters so far in 2010, I don't trust them enough now)

• Maybe XX brakes (tired of the non-retracting pistons and microscopic pad-rotor clearance of the Formula R1, very hard not to get any rub on these things

• Maybe new wheels...
    [/QUOTE]

three in one day, hell a ride. We are on the last try of them, I been using them for years but after this I don't know , so far they broke during a training ride not a race.. I was looking at the bebop pedals they are light enough.

mtbr member
    New Scalpel for me... Had a large previously but the medium fits so much better. This bike rocks. 9.1kg as seen in the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_8203.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Hmm... Interesting fork. What exactly is it?
    german:a kilo 1.2

Is that an XX crank, too?
    Yes, it is.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    New Scalpel for me... Had a large previously but the medium fits so much better. This bike rocks. 9.1kg as seen in the pic...

I'm 5'10"/178cm and love my Medium. I do need a long seatpost and a 120/-5 stem but it works for me. But the LBS owner/team rider guy who sold it to me rides a large. He's kinda gone back and forth. And my 54cm SuperSix is probably just barely big enough...

Anyway was on my Scalpel yesterday and again had the feeling if I couldn't run the 2.25 UST Rocket Ron on the back, or something comperable in size, it would really not be as fun a bike.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    mete: weight?
    Cannondale Rush 35th anniversary 2

LA CHÈVRE
    Nathanbal, nice bike! What sizes are your Rocket Rons? The non-UST Racing Ralph 2.1 are pretty small, smaller than the UST so I'm wondering if 2.25 Ralphs or Rons fit in the rear with enough space...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I run 2.25 Rocket Rons on a 717 mavic rim - they fit in the rear triangle without rub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nathanbal, nice bike! What sizes are your Rocket Rons? The non-UST Racing Ralph 2.1 are pretty small, smaller than the UST so I'm wondering if 2.25 Ralphs or Rons fit in the rear with enough space...
    Thanks Dan. These are 2.1. I had a 2.25 racing ralph on these rims before I mounted the rocket ron 2.1's and they rubbed. 99% of the time when it rubs I am out of the saddle pushing hard up a hill. I had previously tried a 2.25 UST rocket ron on xmax SLRs and it rubbed as well. Next step is to try and see if a normal 2.25 rocket ron works without rubbing - they look a touch smaller than the 2.25 racing ralph.

I'm 80kg so this may have a lot to do with it - there are plenty of guys who dont have an issue with the 2.25 schwalbe tyres in the rear.

mtbr member
    should have also mentioned that the MMX podiums have a nice wide profile which, in theory, is supposed to give a bigger profile tyre size when inflated which may also contribute to the rubbing for me.

LA CHÈVRE
    Thanks. I would install them tubeless on DT Swiss XCR 1.2 wheels, probably closer to the Mavics in width but stiffer than Crossmax SLRs and Stan's wheels... and I weigh around 70kg now. But I think I'll use a 2.25 on the front, stay with a 2.1 on the rear...

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had to get it re-dished but the Crossmax SLR Rocket Ron UST 2.25 rear combo works. It's actually amazing when pared with the 2.4 Rocket Ron up front. Not a racer's setup maybe, but for everyday it makes the Scalpel into an "all-mountain" machine.
    Last edited by YB1; 05-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    agreed, the Scalpel handles so well with larger volume tyres. i had race king supersonic 2.2 tyres setup tubeless not long ago for a couple of races and the extra volume was great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I had to get it re-dished but the Crossmax SLR Rocket Ron UST 2.25 rear combo works. It's actually amazing when pared with the 2.4 Rocket Ron up front. Not a racer's setup maybe, but for everyday it makes the Scalpel into an "all-mountain" machine.
    is your scalpel posted up here? would be interested to see the 2.25/2.4 combo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Thanks. I would install them tubeless on DT Swiss XCR 1.2 wheels, probably closer to the Mavics in width but stiffer than Crossmax SLRs and Stan's wheels... and I weigh around 70kg now. But I think I'll use a 2.25 on the front, stay with a 2.1 on the rear...
    do you really think the XCR 1.2 wheels are going to be stiffer? Especially compared to the SLRs? I am lucky that since I'm outside of the US I can get the MMX Podium as rims only and built them up 3X with brass nipples which has yielded a stiffer wheelset overall. Slightly heavier than the Race wheelset from Stan's website (1210g v 1270g) but I was more than willing to sacrifice the extra, minimal weight gain. I cant tell the difference between these wheels and the SLRs I used to run.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think I might have put this up before but here it is again with the big tires. Again, I don't race much so I don't need 2.0's on this bike and I enjoy it much more at just under 22 lbs. with the big tires. The front has a tube in it. I'd take it out for certain thorny riding locations and add Stan's. I've got almost 3/4ths of a centimeter on the non-drive side and almost a full centimeter on the drive side clearance on the metal bracket. There's less than a millimeter deep of wear in the non-drive side of the very aft inside edge of this bracket from muddy days, no concern I would think.

edit...So I looked at a meter stick and I probably overestimated my clearances a bit. probably 4mm and 6mm is closer to the truth but anyway clearance is adequate that's the main thing. But it did require re-dishing before it was a workable solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-p1010097.jpg  

Last edited by YB1; 05-12-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    do you really think the XCR 1.2 wheels are going to be stiffer? Especially compared to the SLRs? I am lucky that since I'm outside of the US I can get the MMX Podium as rims only and built them up 3X with brass nipples which has yielded a stiffer wheelset overall. Slightly heavier than the Race wheelset from Stan's website (1210g v 1270g) but I was more than willing to sacrifice the extra, minimal weight gain. I cant tell the difference between these wheels and the SLRs I used to run.
    I'll let you know once I have them but from what I heard, I think a DT XCR carbon rim without spokes is almost as stiff as a complete tensioned Crossmax wheel and they can handle high spoke tensions when built...

Looking at the space around my Racing Ralph right now, I think I'll try a 2.25, it should fit. If it's super muddy, I'll put back a Rocket Ron 2.1...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by de1mos
    mete: weight?
    9,25kg

mtbr member
    getting the bike ready for a 12h race and put the 2.25 tyres and Time Atac's back on... My Hope Race X2 arrived as well... as did the Flash seatpost! Weight is now at 9.2kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Scalpel!!!!-img_8207.jpg  

LA CHÈVRE
    Looks nice again! Triple suspension! All that's missing is a Girvin Flex-Stem!

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast