Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2002 Scalpel 2000

2002 Scalpel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another '08 Scalpel 4. I've swapped out the tires and grips so far, and love the way this bike handles the trails here in the midwest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That red is the color I was going to go with when I got my 06 replaced but I called back and changed to white with green trim. They are both nice colors. I changed enough parts out so far to get my bike just under 24 lbs. The last thing I want is the 2X9, BB30 crankset but for what they cost I don't think I'll ever get it. I don't understand where they get off charging $800 to $900 for a crankset when I just bought a computerized virtual reality trainer for about that much. I can buy a huge LCD TV for less than that. I hope Cannondale folks are reading this and realized they are pricing themselves out of a sale. Sorry to fly off topic. That's a real nice red Scalpel and I'm glad you took the time to post it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    That red is the color I was going to go with when I got my 06 replaced but I called back and changed to white with green trim. They are both nice colors. I changed enough parts out so far to get my bike just under 24 lbs. The last thing I want is the 2X9, BB30 crankset but for what they cost I don't think I'll ever get it. I don't understand where they get off charging $800 to $900 for a crankset when I just bought a computerized virtual reality trainer for about that much. I can buy a huge LCD TV for less than that. I hope Cannondale folks are reading this and realized they are pricing themselves out of a sale. Sorry to fly off topic. That's a real nice red Scalpel and I'm glad you took the time to post it.
    The price is for the extreme light weight.

Other manufacturer make BB30 2x9's...FSA for one has a few.

http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...layout=product

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Light weight or not it sucks some greedy bastard put a price that high on something as simple as a crankset. Anyway, it use to be the norm to put an avg price of $1.00 per gram. That rule flew out the window when carbon started coming out. I might pay $615 for one but not more. I like steak on my table too.

mtbr member

XL Scalpel 1000 '02

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and seeing all the beautiful bikes. I just wanted to show off mine; the first-edition 2002 Scalpel is still going strong under my 205lbs. This is my commuter bike, I started riding a daily 17 mile round trip through a wildlife management area a few months ago.

After quite a few upgrades I'm down to 24lbs on an XL frame, sans big-ole headlamp

DT Swiss XS 4.2D rims, DT Swiss Revolution spokes
    Hope II hubs
    Michelin Dry2 dual compound tires
    SRAM X.0 rear derailleur, gripshift
    SRAM PG990 cassette, Shimano XTR chain
    1x9 drivetrain up front, 32t
    N-Gear Jumpstop chain guide
    Answer Hyperlite carbon handlebar
    Token carbon bar ends
    Topeak carbon pump
    Cateye Strada Wireless cyclocomputer
    Karbona carbon bottle cage
    USE Alien carbon seatpost (not shown)
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    56 LED headlamp, rear deflector
    CODA 140mm stem (first thing I added)

I'm just about to upgrade the crankset and bottom bracket to something 180mm.
    Last edited by chomxxo; 12-27-2008 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2009 Scalpel

This is my new bike. Does the weight seem high for the way it's set up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epicracer5
    You could shave off some additional weight by changing the wheels, but 9,510 is very good IMO. Your stem on the other hand is waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too high

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ya i might get one with less rize, but im tall, frame size XL, and it came with that stem

mtbr member

Hey rode the same trail!

Hey I took a picture at the exact spot....guess that is a famous run in the mountains in slatysfork........the ride up is a little work but its all downhill from that spot!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

scalpel

pretyyy woman!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hey epicracer,

what length/rise is that stem/steerer? ive also got an xl scalpel, and my bar is too low with the 120mm 5 degree rise stem/steerer. interested in a possible swap? pm me if so.
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

sorry, i work at a bike shop too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo
    I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and seeing all the beautiful bikes. I just wanted to show off mine; the first-edition 2002 Scalpel is still going strong under my 205lbs. This is my commuter bike, I started riding a daily 17 mile round trip through a wildlife management area a few months ago.
    Nice two things that go togeather perfectly, a Subaru and your Cannondale. I have a '97 Outback Limited and a Rush...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice. That color makes me miss my 2002 F700. One of my favorite colors because it just looks faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by epicracer5
    that is a good weight ..

aside from the KCNC seat post, SLR saddle, CF bottlecage and 4ti pedals what other mods have you done to it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i switched trigger shifters to twist, changed stock grips to extralite foam, changed xtr front deralure to champi record, took tubes out and sealed tires with stans, and KCNC seat post, SLR saddle, CF bottlecage and 4ti pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenz76
    does Scalpel Carbon 2 (from Europe) come with same Lefty Carbon as the Team Replica and Carbon 1? The web site lists it as Lefty Speed Carbon, the printed catalog says Lefty Speed Carbon SL.

My Scalpel 2 just came in, and it had the Fox version of the Carbon Speed SL version on it. Not to sure if i will bother to change it, as I really like the Fox damping system....

mtbr member
    Mine came with the same setup back in novmber. I opted to order a dlr carbon. It should com in next week.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    My '06 1000.

I've since changed the grips and pedals to crankbrothers eggbeater SL and overhauled the drivetrain w/ new rings, cassette, chain, and cables. It has been a great bike the 2+ years I've had it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myself369
    hey epicracer,

what length/rise is that stem/steerer? ive also got an xl scalpel, and my bar is too low with the 120mm 5 degree rise stem/steerer. interested in a possible swap? pm me if so.
    For myself in the same situation, I got much better handling by replacing the si stem with the extended steerer tube with spacers and a 120mm 5 degree stem above the spacers, as opposed to the higher rise stem in the picture. It is a little heavier, but worth it imo. I can't fully explain the geometry/physics, but I know that with the 120mm high rise stem, I felt much more likely to go over the bars on steep drops. With the taller steerer tube and 5 degree stem, everything just feels right. I am thinking that it has to do with the fact that the weight forces from the stem are transfered to the bike further back (because of course the steerer tube is at an angle, so connecting the stem at a higher point also moves it further behind the front axle. You might think that you could get the same results by using a shorter high rise stem, but I've tried it, and while that did fix the over the bars tendancy, it kind of ruined the steering. I never could get the handling and feel right until I got the longer steerer tube, which feels great.

I think the better handling of taller steerer / head tubes for tall riders is also supported by the fact that Cannondale has chosen to produce the XL Rize with a taller headtube and a special lefty. I really hope that in the future the will do this for the XL sizes of the Scalpel and Taurine.

mtbr member

2006 Team Scalpel with bike "condoms"

Here's my 2006 Team Scalpel.
    What do you think of my bike "condoms"?
    Bert!
    • File Type: jpg c.jpg (472.8 KB, 2627 views)
    • File Type: jpg a1.jpg (473.1 KB, 2987 views)
    • File Type: jpg b1.jpg (425.1 KB, 2615 views)

mtbr member
    My 2002 L Scalpel 1000.

Upgraded Hayes brakes, XT drive train, Thompson seatpost, Easton carbon bar, Fox rear lock out, Yeti grips, Bontrager saddle....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are they just inner tubes Bert?

mtbr member
    my new scalpel BBQ ( L )

dry set up 8.29kg in time wil hit 8kg or less

and wet+ rest of year set up 8.6kg try get hem at 8.2kg /8.3kg with RK SS 2.2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g8albert
    Here's my 2006 Team Scalpel.
    What do you think of my bike "condoms"?
    Bert!
    I spy a dork disc!

Just kidding albert, those look cool, seems like they would help keep the pivots in nice working condition down on the seat stay.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast