Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 170 of 170

Thread: Post your F-Si

  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rupps5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    402
    Anyone send their fork back lately for a wave spring service? I am wondering if they sent the fork back with the new air design or did they just replace the washer?

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    244
    In fact, all the sizes of the FSi are changed to 27.5 in Asia regions!! See the pic, size M 27.5 FSi Carbon 2!

    Post your F-Si-275-fsi.jpg

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NyachOo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    f-si carbon 2, size L, ~9,6kg with pedals.
    at local trails (Russia, Moscow)

    Post your F-Si-hdofbxd6c8i.jpg

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    In fact, all the sizes of the FSi are changed to 27.5 in Asia regions!! See the pic, size M 27.5 FSi Carbon 2!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	275 FSi.jpg 
Views:	11196 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1035540
    I'VE asked my dealer and they replied any size larger than M will be 29' for the fsi.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    The F-Si frame is listed as having a PF30a bottom bracket shell. Can someone measure the width of it please? It should be either 73mm or 78mm. I'm trying to determine if it is the same as road PF30a or if there's actually a 'PF30a road' and PF30a mtb' version.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    The F-Si frame is listed as having a PF30a bottom bracket shell. Can someone measure the width of it please? It should be either 73mm or 78mm. I'm trying to determine if it is the same as road PF30a or if there's actually a 'PF30a road' and PF30a mtb' version.
    My new fsi carbon 4 with a lot of changes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-img_9201-1.jpg  


  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chrizzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    The F-Si frame is listed as having a PF30a bottom bracket shell. Can someone measure the width of it please? It should be either 73mm or 78mm. I'm trying to determine if it is the same as road PF30a or if there's actually a 'PF30a road' and PF30a mtb' version.
    Its 83mm incl. the 'a' (5mm)
    Alle road models should have 73mm (68+5) now (instead normal Evo)
    Last edited by Chrizzzz; 02-25-2016 at 01:08 AM.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80



  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chrizzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    212
    edit
    Last edited by Chrizzzz; 02-25-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80



  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by long19000 View Post
    I'VE asked my dealer and they replied any size larger than M will be 29' for the fsi.
    In the U.S. or Europe, any size larger than S will be 29er! But not in Asia Pacific region! See the pic, the FSi carbon 2, which is a 27.5 in size M! Post your F-Si-fsi.jpg

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chrizzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    212
    Here is my F-Si Team 2015 (w/ blue/silver decal kit)
    raced it now for about a year and already got the solo air update.




    Winter-Spec:

    Last edited by Chrizzzz; 02-25-2016 at 01:08 AM.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80



  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    The women's specific F-Si Carbon uses 27.5 wheels for x-small, small, medium in all markets so the Medium 27.5 mould definitely exists. I figure the Asian market has asked that all models of the F-Si (not just womens) use 27.5 wheels for medium. It wouldn't be hard for Cannondale to do a run of 'mens' painted models.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    205
    Post your F-Si-screen-shot-2016-03-05-7.15.15-am.jpg

    FSI minus all the fuss

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    136
    Love the bike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    A little instagram edit of my F-Si built and christened on the weekend. It pretty much blew my socks off! So happy with every characteristic. Cannondale have nailed it with this thing!

    Post your F-Si-f-si.jpg

    I've come off a Trek Superfly SL. I was hit by a car and the frame/rear wheel were written off. This frame was the replacement and has been built with a mixed bag of parts for now.

    Of interest - frame weight was 1052grams as it comes out of the box - that includes derailleur hanger, seat post clamp and all mechanical cable routing. It is the Hi-Mod Team Replica in a Large.

    A GXP crankset with the wider q-factor (168mm) fits in the BB30A-MTB 83mm bottom bracket shell with the Wheels Manufacturing universal bb30/pf30 to GXP adapter. It requires the use of a 0mm offset direct mount ring for rings 34 tooth or greater, for 32 tooth and smaller you can use the 3mm offset to get chainline a little bit tighter. The narrow q-factor version (156mm) does not clear the chainstays. An XX1 Quarq does not fit as it's designed with a 6mm offset position for the chainring which even the 32 tooth rubs on the frame. If they launched a BOOST version of the XX1 Quarq that would fit the F-Si in the 168mm q-factor with a maximum 32 tooth chainring.

    Currently 9.45kg with spec as follows
    Large Hi-Mod frame
    Rock Shox SID World Cup fork
    SRAM X01 drivetrain
    SRAM Guide RSC brakes
    KCNC Ti Pro Lite seatpost
    Fizik Antares 00 saddle
    Fizik Cyrano R1 stem
    Easton EC70XC wide bars
    Bontrager RL front wheel
    Notubes Arch EX rear wheel
    Bontrager XR2 2.2 Team Issue tyres (with tubes)

    Wheels/tyres/tubeless are the only major change to come which should drop a good chunk of weight. I also need to sort out a solution to getting a powermeter to fit. I may just go an X9 Stages. I know some people have bought an XX1 Quarq in BB30, dissassembled both arms from the spindle (which one side says do not dissassemble) and then reassembled with a wider spindle (the interface for SRAM BB30 is the same as Cannondale Si so those spindles work).

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rupps5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    402
    Aussie, how did you fit a normal fork to mount onto the fsi frame?

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    Cannondale make a headset to fit their headtube for normal forks. So do many other brands as well.

    eg - Cannondale Reducer Headset SI Headshok to 1 5" 1 1 8" Tapered KP205 | eBay

    For the record my SID is the G2 offset from a Trek which goes someway to maintaining the designed handling by the extra offset Lefty 2.0.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    205
    I LOUDLY applaud the Aussie who is sticking it to Cannondale.
    Last edited by lucky73; 04-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    haha @lucky73

    For the record I love Cannondale's Hollowgram Si crankset and Lefty fork. I didn't use them as I already had parts that are also great. It was simply a matter of economy.

  19. #119
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    My 2015 Carbon 2 (with the C1 frame). I won't be winning any races with it, but that's not the bikes fault.

    Post your F-Si-12885875_10207678966946069_5423340276602564215_o.jpg

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Here's my 2016 Cannondale FSI Carbon 2
    Post your F-Si-13001043_227627117596135_2574487533121969609_n.jpg

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    My 2016 Carbon 2. I have changed several parts and it weights in at 21.24 lbs in size Large with pedals & mounts ready to ride. I did not care for the stock seat and had a lighter post so I swapped them out and since this picture added the ESI grips too and EC90 SL bars as well as XX1 cassette. I sold an SW WC Epic to get my first hard-tail and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm in my 50's so not having the rear suspension is a bit of an adjustment, but there are handling characteristics of the hard-tail I really like. It's about a pound lighter than the S-Works was and climbs a bit better.

    My favorite feature is the XLR Lefty fork. The SID on the Epic I had was crap compared to this fork. The SID Brain fork was super harsh and I like the feel of this fork much more. I also really like having a lock-out on the bars because I do race the bike and it's great being able to lock out on the flat stuff or smooth climbs. I'll get another FS bike some day but really like having the HT too. I'm going to lighter tires but not until I wear these out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-20160510_094742_resized.jpg  

    Last edited by trmn8er; 01-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217
    F-Si Team 2015 with Specialized XCP (50 mm) dropper post and 60 mm stem:

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    F-Si Team 2015 with Specialized XCP (50 mm) dropper post and 60 mm stem:
    How are you routing the cable for the dropper post any pics of it would be great

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217
    It's really quite simple. The cable exits the frame at the bottom of the down tube, and runs along the brake line.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    It's really quite simple. The cable exits the frame at the bottom of the down tube, and runs along the brake line.
    Oh I see I had been looking at the Thomson 27.2 dropper that one didn't have internal routing

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzzz View Post
    Here is my F-Si Team 2015 (w/ blue/silver decal kit)
    raced it now for about a year and already got the solo air update.




    Winter-Spec:


    Did you just re-dish another rear wheel? If so, how'd it go?

    Thanks.

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chrizzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    212
    Japp, very easy.
    Re-dish 12mm to the non-drive-side (Official Cannondale)

    But i prefer 10,5mm, because its looking like a opical failure if youre re-dishing 12mm.
    Even the tyre-clearence won't be that well.
    For sale:
    - Cannondale 2x Spider XX 120/80



  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13

  29. #129
    was fast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28

    2015 FSi Carbon 1

    2015 FSi Carbon 1
    XL
    21.5 lbs as shown
    converted to 1x11 XTR mechanical
    180mm XTR M9020-1 1x cranks
    Stages power meter
    Candy 11 pedals
    King SS cages
    OEM Schwalbe RR Evo Snakeskin TL 2.1

    I run a 34T XTR ring for longer or high altitude races. Wolftooth 36T for sea level and short course XC (elite masters) and training. Currently running an MRP 1X carbon chain guide but I don't like the mount. We are going to design something lower profile at my shop for our 3D printer in high modulus nylon.

    OEM Crossmax SL's in pic are listed at 1580g, which isn't bad. They're quite stiff and responsive. I'm building a new set of race wheels which should be around 1350g. Also searching for a carbon steerer and fork guard.

    ACE 365g 3mm offset spoke bed carbon rims, 28H
    DT240S straight pull, IS 148x12 rear hub
    Extralite Lefty 2 straight pull front hub
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes


  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    205
    Wow ^

    This thread just jumped up a notch

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    @emilio700, you've listed a boost width, through axle rear hub in your new wheel build. Don't use that. It won't fit your frame.

  32. #132
    was fast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    @emilio700, you've listed a boost width, through axle rear hub in your new wheel build. Don't use that. It won't fit your frame.
    Boost width, QR hub

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    Boost width, QR hub
    the '12' part means through axle. regardless that's just end caps.

    the real issue is 148 - boost - too wide. you need 135x10 QR for the f-si.

  34. #134
    was fast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    the '12' part means through axle. regardless that's just end caps.

    the real issue is 148 - boost - too wide. you need 135x10 QR for the f-si.
    Yup, you were right. Never measured the frame. Just assumed it was some funky new QR standard. Returned the 142x12 for the 135 QR version. Hopefully the spokes I ordered will still be right or close enough.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    My F-Si Hi-Mod 2, updated with a 80 mm stem (not in picture), SLR Ti saddle, Use handlebar and LB carbon wheels with DT240 rear hub.

    Super happy with how it rides, not so happy with the lack of reliability from the Lefty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-fsi.jpg  


  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    228
    I guess your XX1 mech hasn't started creaking yet then?

    trollface

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    228

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    I guess your XX1 mech hasn't started creaking yet then?

    trollface
    Not yet, but now I know what to expect

  39. #139
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    First Cat 1 podium!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-13391559_10208135139950109_8559384764284392759_o.jpg  


  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    What do you guys think of the vertical compliance of the F-SI rear end?
    And what is the biggest tire size you have run ft and rr?
    Last edited by guvna; 11-17-2016 at 03:29 PM.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    188
    Emilio700,

    What bottom bracket did you use to mount the XTR crank on the F-Si?




    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    2015 FSi Carbon 1
    XL
    21.5 lbs as shown
    converted to 1x11 XTR mechanical
    180mm XTR M9020-1 1x cranks
    Stages power meter
    Candy 11 pedals
    King SS cages
    OEM Schwalbe RR Evo Snakeskin TL 2.1

    I run a 34T XTR ring for longer or high altitude races. Wolftooth 36T for sea level and short course XC (elite masters) and training. Currently running an MRP 1X carbon chain guide but I don't like the mount. We are going to design something lower profile at my shop for our 3D printer in high modulus nylon.

    OEM Crossmax SL's in pic are listed at 1580g, which isn't bad. They're quite stiff and responsive. I'm building a new set of race wheels which should be around 1350g. Also searching for a carbon steerer and fork guard.

    ACE 365g 3mm offset spoke bed carbon rims, 28H
    DT240S straight pull, IS 148x12 rear hub
    Extralite Lefty 2 straight pull front hub
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes


  42. #142
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    What do you guys think of the vertical compliance of the F-SI rear end?
    And what is the biggest tire size you have run ft and rr?
    I don't have much to compare to. Only other performance HT I have ridden is the BMC TeamElite01 which has about 10mm of flex, you can't compare to that. But I have raced and won a 12 hour race on this bike (100+ miles, 10,000+ ft climbing) so it can't be too bad.

    I'm currently running a 2.25/2.2 combo, but I'm pretty sure you can comfortably run a 2.4 in the front, maybe a 2.35 in the rear. I will probably go wider in the front after this tire wears out.
    Last edited by Sidewalk; 11-18-2016 at 05:50 PM.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ndbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I don't have much to compare to. Only other performance HT I have ridden is the BMC TeamElite01 which has about 10mm of flex, you can't compare to that. But I have raced and one a 12 hour race on this bike (100+ miles, 10,000+ ft climbing) so it can't be too bad.

    I'm currently running a 2.25/2.2 combo, but I'm pretty sure you can comfortably run a 2.4 in the front, maybe a 2.35 in the rear. I will probably go wider in the front after this tire wears out.
    I'm running a Conti X-King 2.4 up front and a Conti Race King 2.2 on the rear. There is definitely some room to go wider on the rear. Probably not the whole way to a 2.8 but I would bet a 2.4 would fit.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    My bike has snap after 50 km ( I buy this bike in octom 2016 )... I receive a replacement frame after 2 weeks, it same model but glossy and the rear tube ( were snap ) it's bigger in diametre with 5mm . I hope this bike last longer...My weight is almost 70Kg.

    It's 2015 F-SI carbon 1 , weight 9.2 kg.
    Lefty XLR 2.0 ( 2016 )
    cassette XTR 11-40
    X01 shifter and rear deraior X01
    brakes Magura MT Race
    chainring absolute "green" oval 32T
    Tires : Ralph + Ikon TL
    chain shimano 105 11S
    And the rest is Stock

    Post your F-Si-30098407863_282c822b1a_o.jpgPost your F-Si-30098408113_6d13c4f56e_o.jpgPost your F-Si-30101461964_b877b68fc3_o.jpgPost your F-Si-30645401251_075a20fa77_o.jpgPost your F-Si-30645401351_dd42916a0a_o.jpgPost your F-Si-31023396826_e53a66da87_o.jpg

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    First ride today. Size Small "27.5" Love it. Gonna put 2.35's on it for MTB and 29er wheels with 43c tires for an adventure bike. Need to put a dropper on it but have to drill the down tube for a stealth!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-img_4616.jpg  


  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    What's the biggest tire that you've put on an FSI?

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    280
    Added a dropper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your F-Si-img_4628.jpg  

    Post your F-Si-img_4629.jpg  

    Post your F-Si-img_4630.jpg  


  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35
    I have a 2015 carbon 2 fsi and wish to know the max chain ring size for the Si crank. Which model RR tires came with the bike as I wish to stock up some.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    228
    Quick search of Dr Cannondale shows AI chainrings up to 34t.

    Stock tyres are 2.1" Racing Ralph performance (!) - unless you are riding on pavement exclusively I'd suggest upgrading to the evo compound tyre and going paceline rear, trail front.

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Quick search of Dr Cannondale shows AI chainrings up to 34t.

    Stock tyres are 2.1" Racing Ralph performance (!) - unless you are riding on pavement exclusively I'd suggest upgrading to the evo compound tyre and going paceline rear, trail front.
    Thanks for your input. Was hopeful to have 36 ring fit not because I have Pro 'power' but I do my weekdays rides via commuting which consist of a 6 laps around a park with flat gravel and just thought that staying in the middle of the cassette would be better for chain wear. Currently on stock 32t upfront and staying on the 3rd from smallest cassette (12t?) for the flat gravel rides with 85rpm average cadence. Will definitely be back on 32t for the weekend rides even though there's not much climbing around here.

    Even though the performance tires are sufficient for my local trail..will look into getting the EVO line for the next upgrade.

    Anyone has any advise on a good replacement for chain and the magura brake pads when they wears off?

    Thanks again.




    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ndbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by hefeweizan View Post
    Emilio700,

    What bottom bracket did you use to mount the XTR crank on the F-Si?
    A friend of mine and I figured out a way to do this the other day. We got a Wheels Manufacturing BBRIght-Shimano adapter kit. It worked as close to perfect as possible. Just a small adjust with a small spacer and good to go. The cranks spin so much smoother than the Hollowgram cranks ever did because of how much less lateral load the Shimano system puts on the bearings vs the way the Hollowgram cranks load the bearings to remove side side play. Definitely recommend the change if you can sell your Hollowgram cranks.

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbike View Post
    The cranks spin so much smoother than the Hollowgram cranks ever did because of how much less lateral load the Shimano system puts on the bearings vs the way the Hollowgram cranks load the bearings to remove side side play.
    Hmmm. A properly installed hollowgram and hollowtech two are pretty similar in terms of drag in my experience. There has to be some pre-load, and both systems pre-load the bearings to counter the natural unloading and loading when the cranks are turned. The main difference between the two is that Hollowtech 2 has greater capacity for taking up shonky BB tolerances.

    It's nice to have a full group though, and the XTR crank looks great, but I wouldn't pitch it as an upgrade over the Hollowgram SI or SI2.

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    35
    Should I buy 0 or 6 offset for SI crank with spider. Don't want the direct mount version.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    I recently ran across a 2016 Carbon 1, and it followed me home. Weather hasn't allowed me to ride it yet though... It has the 2x11 setup and I'd like to convert to 1x11. I notice that a couple of you have done so. Is it as simple as getting the size of spidering I want and installing it? Are there any chain-line or spacing issues I need to be aware of?

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    I recently ran across a 2016 Carbon 1, and it followed me home. Weather hasn't allowed me to ride it yet though... It has the 2x11 setup and I'd like to convert to 1x11. I notice that a couple of you have done so. Is it as simple as getting the size of spidering I want and installing it? Are there any chain-line or spacing issues I need to be aware of?
    Make sure you get the appropriate Ai specific spidering first of all.

    Also, the gearing is also a concern as most 2x systems have an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette. Yours may have been stock with 11-40 which should work fine with 1x set up. Most 1x Shimano gearing uses 11-42, 11-46 so you'll have slightly taller low gear if you don't change the cassette.

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Make sure you get the appropriate Ai specific spidering first of all.

    Also, the gearing is also a concern as most 2x systems have an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette. Yours may have been stock with 11-40 which should work fine with 1x set up. Most 1x Shimano gearing uses 11-42, 11-46 so you'll have slightly taller low gear if you don't change the cassette.
    Thanks trauma! I've benefited greatly from your knowledge over the years here, and I appreciate your helpful input once again.
    The rear cassette is indeed an 11-40 so I'll give that a shot for a while anyway. Good reminder on the Ai issue. If I get a non-Cdale chainring, I'll watch out to maintain the proper offset.

  57. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Thanks trauma! I've benefited greatly from your knowledge over the years here, and I appreciate your helpful input once again.
    The rear cassette is indeed an 11-40 so I'll give that a shot for a while anyway. Good reminder on the Ai issue. If I get a non-Cdale chainring, I'll watch out to maintain the proper offset.

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    546
    Any input on the largest tires that will fit on the F-Si Carbon 1?

  59. #159
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Any input on the largest tires that will fit on the F-Si Carbon 1?
    My friend is running a 2.6 on the front of his Scalpel. I think 2.4 is the limit in back.

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Make sure you get the appropriate Ai specific spidering first of all.

    Also, the gearing is also a concern as most 2x systems have an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette. Yours may have been stock with 11-40 which should work fine with 1x set up. Most 1x Shimano gearing uses 11-42, 11-46 so you'll have slightly taller low gear if you don't change the cassette.
    I'm finally getting around to doing this...
    Got an AB oval 34 chainring and a 11-46 cassette to replace the original that is now pretty worn.
    I assume the stock XTR rear der will handle the 46 without issue - but is anyone running that combo?

  61. #161
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    I'm finally getting around to doing this...
    Got an AB oval 34 chainring and a 11-46 cassette to replace the original that is now pretty worn.
    I assume the stock XTR rear der will handle the 46 without issue - but is anyone running that combo?
    From what I have been reading, Shimano 11s derailleurs can handle 46 without modification.

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Great! Thanks!

  63. #163
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Only going by what I have read. I'm on Sram.

  64. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    62
    FWIW my Jekyll (2018 model) came with an 11-46 cassette and an XT 11 speed derailleur.

  65. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    FWIW my Jekyll (2018 model) came with an 11-46 cassette and an XT 11 speed derailleur.
    Thanks, good to know. I'll be doing the conversion in the next couple days and report back.

  66. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Thought I'd resurrect this just to close the loop... As Sidewalk and Craig S suspected, the 11-46 cassette and my XTR derailleur work just fine together. I've been running the 11-46 for a month and a half now.

  67. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    62
    How is it with the 34 chainring? My fitness level may or may not support that but I'd like to change mine around.

    I like the 30/46 combo on my Jekyll and was thinking of a 32/46 for the F-Si.

  68. #168
    My other ride
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    How is it with the 34 chainring? My fitness level may or may not support that but I'd like to change mine around.
    I'm on a 32 oval, which is 34x30 (diameter of 34 at the wide point, 30 at the narrow). It clears fine. Again, I'm on a 32 front, with a Sram 11s (10-42) 1x set up.

    34 x 11 is pretty tall. I would ask yourself if you use the high gear, or low gearing more, then decide if you want it. I rode my new bike the last few weeks without using the 42 rear, which had a similar gear/inch to the gearing I was thinking about switching to. It was rough, but I was comfortable with the compromise.

    Of course, the first ride I did on my taller gearing (32 front, 10-42 rear) was at 8000' elevation climbing 5000', on a 35 pound bike...

  69. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    62
    Yeah, we have enough hills around here (PacNW) that I like to bias towards lower gearing. Also I am huge and old (6'5" 250 pounds, 46 years old). Currently with the 28 I almost never use the 42, unless it's straight up or I've been on the bike for a few hours.

    I like the 11-46 from Shimano but holy hell is it heavy. Maybe I'll just throw a 32 on the front and live with what I have now.

  70. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
    How is it with the 34 chainring? My fitness level may or may not support that but I'd like to change mine around.

    I like the 30/46 combo on my Jekyll and was thinking of a 32/46 for the F-Si.
    I used an AB oval 34 and have been happy with it now that I have the 46 cog. The 40 just wasn't quite low enough for my riding. I'm in WI, so my terrain isn't mountainous - just some steep punchy stuff. In addition to my off road riding, I do some road rides on this bike, so I wanted as big a spread as possible. The 34T oval has been good for that, and at the same time this setup has met my needs for climbing. A worst case scenario developed in a race in Duluth, MN at a ski resort that involved the most climbing (both length and incline) that I've done on this bike and the 34-46 was juuust enough. The bloody cassette sure is heavy tho...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. post to post adaptor for 180 post to 203 rotor
    By Monster Truck in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-29-2017, 03:18 AM
  2. Who makes post to post mount rear adapters???
    By ebnash in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  3. Rear post to post mount adapter exist?
    By alfred.fetta in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 05:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 09:40 PM
  5. Seat post slippage (aluminum post, carbon frame)
    By paulendo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 74

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •