Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post Your Bad Boy!

1M views 3K replies 550 participants last post by  EricT64 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's see your Bad Boys!

A European '07 Bad Boy Ultra with the Headsite, Fi'zi:k Blink and CatEye Micro Wireless.

It's my second Bad Boy; the previous one was a '08 Ultra 8 which I swapped for this '07 Ultra. I had the 8 only for five days - the Ultra is way better, and I like the geometry of the 2007 frame more. It's also got a much nicer paintjob!

See less See more
#16 ·
New Badboy 8

Went into my local bike shop the other day and spotted this little beauty for iresistable price!!!!

First ride last night down some schweet country roads with the lights blazing :D

My first EVER road bike, i'm gona start the comute to work next week :thumbsup:

Attachments

#19 ·
Heres my 2008 Bad Boy Rohloff;

Only changed the bars for some Eastons in these pics. Its currently running as a 69er with a 26" matching Sun DS2 up front and cross tyres all round. I want to run it as a 29er mtb but you cant put anything bigger on a 700c x 28 on the front with the fatty headshock. Good excuse for a lefty I think ;)

#21 ·
It was the perfect commuter bike, when I cycled 5 miles to work. I now live less than a mile away so walk, and head office is 200 miles away so I most definately drive that. Hence the bike is seeing only recreational use, and as I have a nice road bike already the bad boy will be only seeing offroad duty.

Rohloffs are superb though. I would never have considdered one before buying this. But I got such a good deal on the bike I couldnt turn it down. Now I dont think I'd even considder anything else if I was building up a purpose MTB. I'd recomend one to anyone.

#22 ·
I would see about putting two 26" rims on the bike with as big as tyres you can get on, then you would have a good mtb. Is it possible to have the Rohloff hub rebuilt onto to a 26" rim? The Rohloff Bad Boy and the Bad Boy Ultra 2008 models are the very best Bad Boys at their peak. 2009 models are lesser quality.

#24 ·
derekr said:
Has anyone with the rolhoff tried the alfine hub? Be interest in sharing your opinions?

Great bike tho, i'm also considering what was said above, getting a hope hoop with DT Swiss 4.2d for the front and getting a 4.2d rim built onto the alfine for the back.

Cheers

Derek
I was about to pull the trigger on an '08 ultra 8 instead of mine but a different shop offered me the rohloff for less than the rrp on the u8!!!

However the alfine would have made me just as happy. I virtually never use the extremities of the gearing on the rohloff, I keep it between 5 and 12 99% of the time. The alfine had plenty of gear range for my needs. I also far prefer rapid fire style shifters, but was slightly dissapointed that the alfine one doesnt block shift in either direction. My rohloff hasnt fully broken in yet so I cant say for sure, but the alfine felt smoother to shift. Its also nice not having the annoying 7-8 gear issue of the rohloff as they are the gears I use the most. For the price difference I dont think you are any worse off with the alfine what so ever. It is a very nice hub. Go for it, I dont think you'll regret it!!

#25 ·
derekr said:
Has anyone with the rolhoff tried the alfine hub? Be interest in sharing your opinions?
I have a bike with a Nexus red band ( same internals as Alfine) and a 1FG with a Rohloff.

It's not very comparable , it's really two different leagues.The price too isn't in the same league !
The Alfine makes a nice commuter drive but I wouldn't use it on my main MTB.
I have the Rolhoff since 2006 , changes the cables after one week , since then , I changed oil once. And it has been through serious mud and snow.

Rohloff , no contest....

#26 ·
bay boy from days of yore

ok so i have seen some very nice bad boys on this site but given that i have recently re-discovered my love of off-road i figured i'd include my limited-budget attempt at showing what a bb from about 6 years ago is still capable of beyond the road ..... since i papped these [very well reviewed] forks on the bike has ridden more like a sofa than a bike, which to me is a testimony to the fact that it ain't just an 'mtb with a fancy paint-job'. but then again, some of you may call it sacriledge ...

Attachments