Aug 2013
    Actually it's 650b...
    445mm A-C and 35 rake

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by houzik View Post
    Actually it's 650b...
    445mm A-C and 35 rake
    Ahh somehow in the quotes I did not catch is was your bike. I was reading originally on my phone

Looks really hot and something I may consider but I am on 1 1/8th. Still like the idea of a lefty but I think I may get too heavy.

Local bike expert does not really recommend carbon forks as he just watched a guy in a fat bike hit the brakes and it fractured.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After all conversion done so far, here some actual pics of my BB...

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150610_103144.jpg

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150610_103215.jpg

Except frame and fork nearly every part is updated...

Part list:

H Plus Son Archetype rims
    DT Swiss revolution spokes
    Hope Pro Evo singlespeed Hub
    Continental Grand Prix tyres and tubes (25mm)
    Thomson cyclocross carbon dropbar (440mm)
    Syntace corc bartape
    Thomson Elite stem (90mm)
    Thomson Elite seatclamp
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    San Marco Zoncolan Racing seat
    Sram XO carbon crank (170mm)
    Absolute Black chainring (36t)
    Trialtech cog (14t)
    NC17 Trekking Pro pedals
    TRP Hylex brakes and rotors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-20150610_103127.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Although my bad boy has already had its presentation many pages ago, I think it's time for an update due to some changes that have taken place.
    The first one was that I replaced the stock headset which weighed about 126 gr with extralite scalhead which weighs 62 gr.
    Weight saving: About 60 gr
    The second one was the replacement of formula 160mm disk rotors with carbon ti steel-carbon x 2 rotors, 160mm front and 140mm rear.
    This upgrade adds a lot to the bike looks while there's no lack in performance despite the fact that the rear rotor is 140mm instead of the 160mm formula.
    Weight savings: About 35 gr.
    I also painted my ritchey carbon fork in matte black color so as to color match the bad boy stealth frame.
    I adjusted the handlebar height a little lower. As a result I got rid of the spacers I was using and also cut the fork steer 2-3cm.
    Weight savings: Around 25 gr.
    So this is a final update of my bicycle's components:
    1. Rear derailleur: Sram red.
    2. Chain:kmc x10sl dlc black.
    3. Cassette: Sram red xg1090 26-11.
    4. Shifters: Sram xx grip shifters.
    5. Fork: Ritchey wcs carbon disk(475 grams)
    6. Flatbar schmolke carbon tlo (73 grams).
    7. Stem: Extralite roadstem oc 110mm.
    8. Seatpost: Schmolke carbon tlo seatpost (96 grams).
    9. Saddle: Ax lightness phoenix.
    10.Wheels: Corima winium carbon tubular, carbon ti mtb sl hubs, sapim cx ray spokes.
    11.Brakes: Formula r1 carbon.
    12. Brake rotors: Carbon ti steel-carbon x2.
    13.Quick release: Tune mtb (34 grams).
    14.Pedals: Crankbrothers eggbeater 11.
    15.Grips: Extralite (18 grams).
    16.Seatpost clamp: Btp clamp.
    17. All brake caliper and rotor screws were replaced with titanium ones in gold color, while all the others which do not suffer much stress were replaced with alluminum ones in gold color also.
    18.Veloflex extreme tubular tires.
    19.Bottle cage: Btp carbon-aramid 4.5 grams.
    20.Front derailleur: Sram red yaw derailleur.
    21.Crankset: Clavicula dp with Carbon ti carbon evo and specialite.ta chainring 44/32 (all together with bottom bracket weigh 500 grams).
    22. Headset: Extralite scalhead.
    The bicycle now weight 6.56 kgr and is as fast as a road bike. Here are some photos of how it looks now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105044.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105141.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105231.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105238.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Some more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105631.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105650.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_105702.jpg  

Post Your Bad Boy!-20150606_110009.jpg  

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Erhar View Post
    Some more:
    Way too licht, Erhar. How much weight added by painting Ritchey?
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    About 25 grams due to the thick layer of matte lacquer. Fortunately the steerer shortening brought a weight balance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a 2013 bb5.

What are some drive train improvements?

What about cranks etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Been looking for a BB3 for some time and got a Cannondale store on the phone the other day that said "we've got a 2014 BB1 in your size for $1288 on final markdown". Drove out there yesterday, took it for a test ride and an hour later it was mine. Interestingly, I tried to get them to come down in price (even offered cash) and they said because they are a Cannondale store they can't do anything with the price.
    Price seemed fair, and the 2015 BB1 is 1x8, so I kept range AND will be able to keep a cadence I prefer.

I'm used to road biking (SuperSix) so it was interesting going for a ride without clipin pedals. That clunky leather seat and grips came off before the first ride - sorry - just couldn't give either a chance. Freewheeling was suprisingly much quieter than expected. Not convinced that the lefty headshok fork really absorbs much but we'll see.

Maybe I'm just used to road bike mentality, but it seemed odd to me that much of the front derailleur is placed right where the spray off the rear wheel will hit. Is that intentional?

Anyways, I'm happy and other than seat and grips I am only thinking of maybe going to a two sided flat/spd pedal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    @Erhar and SJS.666: both absolutely gorgeous bikes! I so much like how the both of you give a personal twist to the (impressive!) upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Cannondale Bad Boy 2 2015

hi everyone,

it's my first time here, greetings from Portugal. Right now i was looking for a bad boy 2 from 2015, but here no one have one displayed just for order and before the purchase i would like to see one at least in real pictures (not the ones in the website) and looked for all the internet and i already fund the bad boy 1,3 and 4 from this year but no real pictures from the bad boy 2. anyone have one or pictures of one that can be posted here please? to have a better idea of the look of one before i order one please?

other thing in the store that i tried to order the bike, the guy tried to "sell" me a bad boy 8 ultra alfine from 2014 and telling me that much better equipped than a a bad boy 2 2015. this one he have on store and for 100 less than the bad boy 2 2015. can some one give me some thoughts about this please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 01dishonored View Post
    other thing in the store that i tried to order the bike, the guy tried to "sell" me a bad boy 8 ultra alfine from 2014 and telling me that much better equipped than a a bad boy 2 2015. this one he have on store and for 100 less than the bad boy 2 2015. can some one give me some thoughts about this please?
    I think the price offer he made for the BB8 2014 sounds good, the original price was higher than the current price for the BB2 2015. (You may want to take a look around the internet for other dealers in your area that have special prices for this previous model and reinforce your negotiation position.)

The main two differences between the bikes is that the BB8 2014 has a lefty fork and an Alfine 8-speed hub, versus the Deore front and rear derailleurs (= 30-speed in total). I think a lefty fork is really nice, but that's personal, and I would go for the Alfine hub as well, but maybe you want more gears..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The main two differences between the bikes is that the BB8 2014 has a lefty fork and an Alfine 8-speed hub, versus the Deore front and rear derailleurs (= 30-speed in total). I think a lefty fork is really nice, but that's personal, and I would go for the Alfine hub as well, but maybe you want more gears..
    thanks for your help. my mains problems are, first the size (the bb8 2014 it's Medium and i think fit's better on me a Large one), other problem it's the gears, i'm in Lisbon and this it's not a plain city trust me . but on the other side i really like the lefty looks. can you tell me if on the BB the lefty and the fatty works on the same way and it's just a question of look or like the mountains bikes works different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You're in Lisbon? Nice, love that town!! I'm from Holland and have done a lot of holiday cycling in your country (almost everywhere between Porto, Coimbra and Lisbon). And even though that was with a fully packed bike, even without these bags I would never go for an 8-speed hub in your town, I think it's not enough.

Also, I would never buy a bike which has the wrong size. But if you are right in the middle between the sizes you could make some adjustments to the M-size bike (longer stem, offset seatpost). Maybe your LBS has a bike fitter so you can check the options?

The lefty fork, it's mainly good looks IMO (but how I love that looks :-). The regular fork is stonger than the Lefty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you are between sizes, take the smaller one and vary with stem, seatpost and handlebar. A frame too big will stay too big...

What is your size by the way?

If it comes for the fork you should think about the way you cycle. If you want the bicycle just for commuting in town, the lefty headshock is cool and definitely better looking. If you consider mountainbiking (maybe with a second wheelset and beefy tyres), you should go with the fatty headshock because its much more stable...

If it comes to gearing, the alfine must not be that bad for hilly terain. Its a question of Chainring and cog to make it fit your needs...

@Sylvia:
    Thanks for the flowers! I will go all black by the way. Changed the seat back to the black Zoncolan and will go with black bartape, too. The white looks cool but not "BAD" enough for a BB. And maybe Ill change the tyres to Continental Cyclocross Speed as they give a little bit more comfort. Only shitty streets here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    You're in Lisbon? Nice, love that town!! I'm from Holland and have done a lot of holiday cycling in your country (almost everywhere between Porto, Coimbra and Lisbon). And even though that was with a fully packed bike, even without these bags I would never go for an 8-speed hub in your town, I think it's not enough.
    hi Sylvia, yes i'm in Lisbon . those 3 are the main cities but now you need to know other places like Douro, Gres and other nice places here . my size it's between Medium and Large, i'm 180cm tall. but Lisbon it's called the city of the seven hills and that's why i think e need more gears...

@SJS.666:

i will ride just on town and on road, but like i told the city have a lots large hills and it's so hi dont know. but i will try the BB8 alfine this week to know.

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS.666 View Post
    If you are between sizes, take the smaller one and vary with stem, seatpost and handlebar. A frame too big will stay too big...

What is your size by the way?

If it comes for the fork you should think about the way you cycle. If you want the bicycle just for commuting in town, the lefty headshock is cool and definitely better looking. If you consider mountainbiking (maybe with a second wheelset and beefy tyres), you should go with the fatty headshock because its much more stable...

If it comes to gearing, the alfine must not be that bad for hilly terain. Its a question of Chainring and cog to make it fit your needs...
    hi, i'm 180cm tall my size it's between Medium and Large. i want the bicycle just for the city, but this is the city of the seven hills, i will try the bb8 this weekend and i will find out.

@Sylvia:

yes, i'm in Lisbon. the 3 towns is the major cities here. right now you need to go to Douro and Gers

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @Erhar and SJS.666: both absolutely gorgeous bikes! I so much like how the both of you give a personal twist to the (impressive!) upgrades.
    Sylvia thank you very much for your comments. To be honest I've spent a lot of money and time in order to customize my bad boy and verify the compatibility of the components I used. Of course it compensates me every time I ride it because it's a super fast bike and beautiful as well. The only thing I didn't like was the rear tyre which had a yellow profile so I replaced it with a veloflex extreme (like the front one) and now the bike is fully black.
    My bad boy's weight (6.56 kgr) is the proof that if you use the right components you can drop your bicycle's weight more than significantly. That affects the ride quality a lot and also creats a unique project which in my case is lighter than many carbon road bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS.666 View Post
    The setback just looks horrible. You should definitly change the seatpost.
    Better?

Post Your Bad Boy!-img_3643.jpg

It's a 3T Stylus 25 LTD Stealth Seatpost. (And if anyone else ever wants to try this combination: the rail distance of the saddle is too small / the 3T cradle is too wide. I had to adjust the cradle to make the saddle fit on the seatpost.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Definitely much better then before!
    Really nice seatpost...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Indeed!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I still like my old Bad Boy more than ever. Especially after I worked for a Cannondale dealer ... Not a fan of the shorter top tube nor the lack of a fatty solo without any suspension. I hope Cannondale will go back to the original bad boy, after all there is a dent or two on my frame .

Marathon Plus 28, XT brakes, Magura Marta SL rotors, Alfine 8sp, Saint Pedals, SLR Team Carbonio seat, Oury lock on, Truvativ Noir WC bars, Zamui Airzound

Post Your Bad Boy!-wp_20150623_18_36_19_pro.jpg

Rides well, low maintenance, stiff as f***, stealth and fast enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone got any suggestions for bb centre stands ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Anyone got any suggestions for bb centre stands ?
    Well, it depends of your crank. Tell us what sort of crank you have now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bb5 2013 model

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oh I was confused. I was thinking you were asking about something like that :
    Name:  Andystand4-300x200.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  11.7 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Can 700c x 33 Cyclocross Tires Work on Headshok Bad Boy?

I am considering running Clement LAS 700 x 33 on my 2001 Bad Boy Ultra. Before I commit - I just want to know if the tires will clear the fork and rear seatstay, without rubbing?

mtbr member
    At some point I was running Michelin Jet 700x30mm (semi-slick), they barely cleared the headshok crown. I was afraid anything going there would rip the schrader cap in the cavity... Don't know for sure but would say it won't fit.
    Rear should be fine, it depends on your BB frame type. Some seem more road oriented. On the regular MTB type, I would guess no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Latest Mods

Hi All,

Just a quick post of the latest mods to my BB1...

DT Swiss 240 hubs - Sweet!
    DT Swiss spokes/nipples
    Stans NoTubes Grail rims
    Hutchinson Secteur tubeless tires
    MKS pedals with Avid toe clips and straps
    Shimano Ultegra cassette

not the lightest, but work great for the commute!

gettin' there....

keep the rubber side down!

Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Name:  53908215.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  186.0 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    YIKES! Sorry Guys... I was in a hurry!!!! Apologies...

Don't laugh, I know it's a n00b-question, but I just don't get it: I am thinking about replacing the Si Urban OPI Stem/Handlebar on my Bad Boy 0 2014 with a riser bar, but for the new stem I would need a clamp diameter of almost 40mm (1,56?), while stems that I find (just took a look at the pictures in this topic to find some brands that are often used) are 31,8mm.

Which stems are compatible with my HeadShok Solo DL50? Or do I need to make an adjustment that I didn't know about?
    Hope makes 1.56" steerer stems. If you do go that route...I am interested in your OPI Urban stem/bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hello to all,

I was ready to buy merida crossway 900 when I discovered this Bad Boy and now I am torn apart between these two bikes. I am considering Bad Boy 2 and the main question to You guys is how big tires can I put on this bike? Will 700 x 42 tire fit just fine? The reason I am asking is because I want use my new bike both on hard and gravel surfaces (some cross country riding). Do You think that bad boy 2 with it's suspension will manage these kind of riding? The geometry of bad boy is very similar to merida crossway so it should be great to ride on different surfaces. Or am I wrong? Please give me some advice Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's been a long while since I uploaded my Badboy. Such a joy to ride.

^Nice build, mate! I'm liking it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    ^Nice build, mate! I'm liking it....
    Thanks very much.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Has Cannondale stopped offering the Gates belt option? I can't seem to find it anymore but was pretty sure they had it at one point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My Bad Boy 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My Bad Boy 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

What year is this Bad Boy?

Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a bike and found this one at a local pawn shop, anyone know what year and model it is?

Also what sort of red flags should I look for when buying it? Looks like it's in pretty rough shape from the pics they sent me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  28.5 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gojazz View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a bike and found this one at a local pawn shop, anyone know what year and model it is?

Also what sort of red flags should I look for when buying it? Looks like it's in pretty rough shape from the pics they sent me.

The Lefty squeak!

Easy to fix though the front hub has a tendency to squeak against a dust guard on these.

Looks like it might be 2012 or 2013, models only really change by components and headshock or no
    Quote Originally Posted by gojazz View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Awesome thanks so much! Think it's worth spending $700 on even if it needs some repairs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Depends on how much overhaul it needs, but they are great bikes, you won't regret.

I forgot to mention earlier another difference in models are hydraulic vs mechanical disc brakes. And on my 2014 there is a number below those stripes on the down tube that indicate model if you get to look at it up close

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just got my BB1 bike delivered. Really like it, but i will need some help customizing it.
    First, i am looking for a bottle holder that fits the bb style.
    Also, i think i need different grips - the origal ones are reaaly not great. I might even add some "horns" at the same time. But i would need model that plugs into the bar. I need the space for mt hands.

mtbr member
    Hi folks,
    question: I own a BB 2010 with a fatty and Alfine 8. Just came across the exact same bike on ebay, just with different frame size and a LEFTY SOLO, which I have been dreaming about for quite a while. Can I be sure the two forks are 100% interchangeable? I am planning on exchanging the forks and reselling the bike on ebay...
    Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    @calimeo I have put a TACX TAO LIGHT bottle holder in matte black on my BB's seat tube which matches the bike perfectly. Check it out here: Amazon.com: Tacx Tao Light Water Bottle Cage, Black

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hello!

I am learning more about the 2014 BB1 that I love and am making some desired modifications to suit my build (so far, tires and a saddle setback post). My next modification is to convert the drive system to a 1x10, and I have received my chosen 36T chain ring (after about 1,100 miles of riding to make certain I wanted the change).

Would one of you good folks let me know which tool I need to remove the stock FSA crank? An hex wrench fits, but I have read many times about taking care to avoid damaging the assembly so I am reluctant to give it a twist (perhaps link to the correct product on Amazon?) Also, I am correct in assuming that, to remove the front derailleur I need to uncouple the chain, yes? I do not have a tool for that, either.

I am looking forward to learning and completing all of my maintenance, however, so I am not averse to purchasing the correct tools.

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Hi folks,
    question: I own a BB 2010 with a fatty and Alfine 8. Just came across the exact same bike on ebay, just with different frame size and a LEFTY SOLO, which I have been dreaming about for quite a while. Can I be sure the two forks are 100% interchangeable? I am planning on exchanging the forks and reselling the bike on ebay...
    Thanks for your help!
    A 1:1 swap will not work!
    The problem is these two forks have different diameter of the steerer. The lefty solo 2010 has a diameter of 1 1/8" and the headshock has a diameter of 1,56". So you have to change the complete headset, too.

But this wont compensate the difference in the frame geometry which isnt the same. the steerer tube angle will be different as for the different height of the two forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Another FNG!

Just picked up a 2015 BB1. My first bike in over 20 years since racing BMX, and.... yeah I'm out of shape. 10 mile ride up a couple hills and my legs were noodles! haha

I'll add some pics of the BB to this post when I get home.

I sifted through about 20 pages of this thread looking for ideas for mods. Looks like most of you are just swapping stock parts with carbon parts for weight reduction? Any "must have" mods you guys can recommend? Primarily street riding for now, may get some cyclocross tires for some easy off road stuff, but that won't be till I get my legs back.

So far all I've done is remove all the warning stickers (standard protocol) and swap out the stock pedals with my old skool Crupi BMX pedals (way too many scars on my legs to stop using them now).