Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2592
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    also looking to upgrade pads and rotors of m395 shimano, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlealex View Post
    no I didn't, thanks for the answer
    No problem, I've done it quite often...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    anyone?

mtbr member
    May 2012

my custom 650b bad boy

Post Your Bad Boy!-badboy.jpg
    Found this Bad Boy Ultra at a garage sale for $300, not sure what year it is but it has the made in the USA sticker. The frame is a small but medium would be more comfortable.

It's in awesome condition but I had to customise it with some spare parts i had kicking around. Currently running DT240's Laced to stans 650b crest w maxis detonator 1.5 tubeless, 9sp XTR drivetrain shifter, Rotor cranks 38t Qring, Avid BB7's. Current weight is 9.8kg w pedals. Looking at upgrading brakes eventually and I have an absolute black 42t oval ring on the way.

I think the headshock might need a service as it makes some squishing sounds with movement. I really wanted the lefty fork as it looks like there may be more clearance for some Cx tyres.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try the GOLD EBC sintered metal pads for Shimano M525 brakes. 99% sure the Deore and Acera callipers use the same pads. They take a while to bed in but Oce they do it's 1 finger braking. They last for ages but will wear your rotor quicker than the standard resin pads the Acera (m395) come with.

As far as rotors go my all time favourite would have to be the Magura Storm Sl. They are a little thicker than most other rotors but unfortunately expensive. I use them on my XC race bike. All my other bikes have shimano IceTech rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Jester View Post
    Try the GOLD EBC sintered metal pads for Shimano M525 brakes. 99% sure the Deore and Acera callipers use the same pads. They take a while to bed in but Oce they do it's 1 finger braking. They last for ages but will wear your rotor quicker than the standard resin pads the Acera (m395) come with.

As far as rotors go my all time favourite would have to be the Magura Storm Sl. They are a little thicker than most other rotors but unfortunately expensive. I use them on my XC race bike. All my other bikes have shimano IceTech rotors.
    thanks for your answer, I m getting storm sl here:
    Magura USA Storm SL 6-Bolt Rotor | Competitive Cyclist

any other suggestons about mild pads? I m using it for commute but having trouble finding upgrade pads
    Last edited by littlealex; 01-08-2015 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for your answer, I m getting storm sl here:
    Magura USA Storm SL 6-Bolt Rotor | Competitive Cyclist

any other suggestons about mild pads? I m using it for commute but having trouble finding upgrade pads
    Try the semi metallic Kool Stop pads, KS D620 are the pads you are after according to their website.

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977

mtbr member
    Almost got my hands on the limited edition Brooks Pro Vans saddle, man that would have been the perfect saddle for my bad boy. Arrrgghh, someone got it on eBay before I found it.

BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | ROAD+&+MTB | TEAM+PRO+VANS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Before...

After single chainring conversion (saving 550g)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice!!!
    What's your ratio now? (Chairing and cassette)

My bb2 had 3x10 ,then 2x10 and now 1x10 which I enjoy the most for commuting...
    What's the weight now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Very tasteful choice of components, giantcfr1! Ride in good health!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm using a 38t oval ring on the front (waiting for my 42t oval) and a 32-11 XTR 9 speed on the rear. I don't really have many hills on my commute.

My Bad Boy weighs 9.8kg

Quote Originally Posted by houzik View Post
    Nice!!!

What's the weight now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice!!!

What's the weight now?
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdale View Post
    Very tasteful choice of components, giantcfr1! Ride in good health!
    Thank you guys for your kind words.
    I am running 34 x 11-25 and it weighs 11kg with wire beaded tyres and flat pedals. I have thinner Vittoria folding tyres and clipless pedals which would bring the weight down a bit more, but I haven't weighed that combo with the 1 x 9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Jester View Post
    I'm using a 38t oval ring on the front (waiting for my 42t oval) and a 32-11 XTR 9 speed on the rear. I don't really have many hills on my commute.

My Bad Boy weighs 9.8kg
    That's impressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @giantcfr1
    Was expecting it below 10kg...But it's very attractive!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    @giantcfr1
    Was expecting it below 10kg...But it's very attractive!!!
    Yeah, I understand.
    It doesn't actually have many light parts on it, and of course lightweight is something I desire, but I was concentrating more on a robust image. ie. the Thomson bits

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have some new goodies too,not installed yet though...

1. 465gr carbon rigid fork to replace the headshok (custom painted soon)
    Post Your Bad Boy!-124-3-.jpg

2. Schmokle 600mm flatbars, with a touch of matt clearcoat
    Post Your Bad Boy!-111-3-.jpg

3. 3T 85mm stealth stem with Carbon Ti expander and ahead cup...

weight savings >1kg

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm looking to upgrade my bars to 2013-2015 CAnnondale OPI Urban, with integrated stem and headlights. Trade my OEM Cannondale Fire 620mm and 25.4 clamp(plenty stiff), with 115mm Si stem + cash?

"The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Zachariah perfect timing!!!
    I am selling my 1,56 headshok fork and opi stem+bars with light, both in perfect condition.
    Pm me if interested

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd be interested in your headshok if my headtube wasn't 17cm long... Can't fit lefty either.. :| What's that fork and what is its ATC if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Axle to crown distance is 480mm according to my measurements and rake is 45...
    Weights 1380gr...pretty light for a suspension fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread by accident, sorry mods, can you please delete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-20150123_204134.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have some new goodies too,not installed yet though...

1. 465gr carbon rigid fork to replace the headshok (custom painted soon)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124 (3).jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	957677

2. Schmokle 600mm flatbars, with a touch of matt clearcoat

Name:	111 (3).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	957678

3. 3T 85mm stealth stem with Carbon Ti expander and ahead cup...

weight savings >1kg
    The bars look a bit better in your pics and not so glossy. I am in the air of Schmolke, AX, or MCFK.

Fork also I been looking around at but I can't find with larger through axles and the right height rake. Also most seem to be a bit too shinny to match the BB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you have headshok of rigid fatty?
    What rake do you want?
    My fork is getting graphics and matte finish at the moment!

My Schmolke bars had a touch of sandpaper first and matte clearcoat then, to get the right finish,...also gain 13 gr.

Mcfk would have been my first choice, but my lbs imports only schmolke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do you have headshok of rigid fatty?
    What rake do you want?
    My fork is getting graphics and matte finish at the moment!

My Schmolke bars had a touch of sandpaper first and matte clearcoat then, to get the right finish,...also gain 13 gr.

Mcfk would have been my first choice, but my lbs imports only schmolke.
    Its rigid but not fatty. It was 700c disc model which I believe is slightly different. There is also good price here in Germany for Tune version of Schmolke that matches up well with my Tune Stem.

We will see, at the moment I am having brake issues with the Magura MT2 and might drop them for either MT5 or Shimano Zee. Then drive train XX11 upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mt2 are running strong on mine...What's the problem on yours?

I think member edhar has a ritchey carbon fork for sale from his bb...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mt2 are running strong on mine...What's the problem on yours?

I think member edhar has a ritchey carbon fork for sale from his bb...
    Squishy, We have had them bleed out a few times but they seem to gather air somewhere over time. Strange they worked well but we will see if I get warranty.

Advice was go Shimano even though they are a touch more heavy they have a lot more power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My last last mod would be formula r1...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My last last mod would be formula r1...
    I tried them but I don't think they are as strong as the MT5 or the Shimano Zee. I was testing on full MTB also so stopping with full suspension is a bit more stronger.

Feeling when working correct I like the Mags, but the Shim is also nice. Formula I felt was a little more on off and in the end not quite as strong. They are nice though and the construction looks pretty. Still I give a shiz about pretty looks at 65Kmh down a muddy 14% trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    @807, are you still running TB's on your 650b? You've inspired me to do the same(have the same model of BB) and should have them on in around 10 days or so. As I see it, as long as I drive during dry weather and avoid mud, 2.1's should work fine?

Regarding drivetrain, I was looking at XX1 too (around 160g of weight saving) but I'm enjoying 44/28 combo at the moment.

As for weight, I'm shooting at 8.2kg with tubeless TB's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diskox View Post
    @807, are you still running TB's on your 650b? You've inspired me to do the same(have the same model of BB) and should have them on in around 10 days or so. As I see it, as long as I drive during dry weather and avoid mud, 2.1's should work fine?

Regarding drivetrain, I was looking at XX1 too (around 160g of weight saving) but I'm enjoying 44/28 combo at the moment.

As for weight, I'm shooting at 8.2kg with tubeless TB's.
    Yip Still on the Thunders and loving them all through this winter although there was only a few days of snow. Currently I am at about 2400 KM on them and last few weeks running them low PSI like maybe 20. Partly as I was lazy and didn't check but was noticing some slight roll on turning. In the wet they did work better though and I can't honestly say they where slower, outside of just a feeling.

In Short I will use them again and love the setup with the Chris Kings and Stan's rims. Second Bad Boy will likely get the same setup for the wife, and maybe I take some KCMC rims and she gets Stans (a dream).

I never pound anything near a 44 tooth, and my 42X11 I rarely can power that out on flats so I think a 36-38 with a 10 tooth back would work. On hills say to 14% I run maybe the 32x17 rings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi All,

New to the site... great info! Will post pics of my '14 BB 1 (Lefty fork & discs) when it dries up a bit... its great! Its my main commuter now with a few mods. But I'm now looking into the possibility of a new wheel set (tubeless?)... Does anyone know if there are wheel manufacturers (Mavic, Reynolds, Stans, etc.) that offer a lefty/disc wheel upgrade? Of course, its a higher pressure application, 80-90 psi, so the cyclocross offerings are mainly lower pressure... All I have found so far are custom wheelbuilders. Any pointers?

Thanks!!

Rollercoaste

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoaste View Post
    Hi All,

New to the site... great info! Will post pics of my '14 BB 1 (Lefty fork & discs) when it dries up a bit... its great! Its my main commuter now with a few mods. But I'm now looking into the possibility of a new wheel set (tubeless?)... Does anyone know if there are wheel manufacturers (Mavic, Reynolds, Stans, etc.) that offer a lefty/disc wheel upgrade? Of course, its a higher pressure application, 80-90 psi, so the cyclocross offerings are mainly lower pressure... All I have found so far are custom wheelbuilders. Any pointers?

Thanks!!

Rollercoaste
    Build your own wheels as it is almost always a better option.
    Decide on the tires you prefer to use as that will decide the rims.
    As far as lefty hubs the Cdale one is fine but if you want to go a bit lighter try Tune on the front. I would not go tune for rear hubs.

Stan's are great if you are running a larger tire and are not too heavy a person. If you want road tubeless there is likely better options but their Alpha rims might be decent as I know a few people running them with no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by (807) Recordings View Post
    Attachment 929702@sjs.666
    I was just about to do the same but I see they are just around the corner to the oval ones. 36 oval might be on my agenda and I still am a bit concerned on the 11 tooth not being a high enough gear. Pretty sure I can crank out my current 32 up most hills, though the full X0 setup might in coming.

**Too many costs lately**
    Side note got a good 200KM in last weekend and 120 or so the weekend before on the new Tune Komm-Vorr Plus and liking it.
    Hi Sir,

What wheels are those?

I am considering a Bad Boy 2, but its 700c, however I prefer to have 26"x2.0

Would it fit? or would it **** up the ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I found this old pic from 2011...

Aint those 26"??

I thought it wouldnt clear the fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XxDrAg0nxX View Post

Aint those 26"??

Funny. I think the Bad Boy was created by the Cannondale Team pro riders who decided to build disc wheels in 700c to train on the road on the same Frames (position) they were using for their MTB races.
    What surprised many people was that the 700c fit in the 26".... But only with tyres smaller than 30mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd View Post
    Funny. I think the Bad Boy was created by the Cannondale Team pro riders who decided to build disc wheels in 700c to train on the road on the same Frames (position) they were using for their MTB races.
    What surprised many people was that the 700c fit in the 26".... But only with tyres smaller than 30mm.
    That picture looks like a 26"x2.0" tyre so very close almost touching the sides?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XxDrAg0nxX View Post

Aint those 26"??

Is that a CAAD5 F2000SL frame?
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have any of you had the experience of fitting 27.5 x 2.00/2.10 on a 2007 or 2008 Bad Boy? (rigid frame) I'm worried about clearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Have any of you had the experience of fitting 27.5 x 2.00/2.10 on a 2007 or 2008 Bad Boy? (rigid frame) I'm worried about clearance.
    I was told by the bike shop it can on the Bad Boy 2

mtbr member
    im running Kenda small block eights 2.1's on my '09 Badboy W/ 650B wheels, the rear clears fine (even with HoneyBadger 2.3's, a little close to the rear derailleur but not too close. good clearance on both the Stays) The Headshok DLR 80MM fork is real close is the Air stem. honey badger's make contact, small blocks Don't. But that's the Headshok suspension fork. the Rigid fork won't have the air stem so you might get clearance but i don't know for a fact.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks guys. I asked at three shops and they measured and said no. The forth shop actually tried to fit a set and the forks were ok, but there was no chance the rear was going to fit. The rear tyre was well and truely jamed. Maybe the 2007 disc (rigid) and 2009 with headshock are different frames. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Bad Boy road bike

I fell in love with the Bad Boy when I first saw one at my LBS when one of my friends who worked there got one. I managed to pick one up second hand and spent a while converting it with a road groupset. I often train on this bike and love passing carbon road bikes up hills (although it is still pretty heavy.

I'd like to swap out the cranks, deraileurs and disc callipers with the black versions eventually but need to balance the budget for that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-badboy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1 View Post
    Thanks guys. I asked at three shops and they measured and said no. The forth shop actually tried to fit a set and the forks were ok, but there was no chance the rear was going to fit. The rear tyre was well and truely jamed. Maybe the 2007 disc (rigid) and 2009 with headshock are different frames. Thanks for your input.
    Interesting as I run 650b 2.1 Thunder Burts on my Bad Boy with no touching. It is close though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbmxer88 View Post
    I fell in love with the Bad Boy when I first saw one at my LBS when one of my friends who worked there got one. I managed to pick one up second hand and spent a while converting it with a road groupset. I often train on this bike and love passing carbon road bikes up hills (although it is still pretty heavy.

I'd like to swap out the cranks, deraileurs and disc callipers with the black versions eventually but need to balance the budget for that.
    Is the a road crank? How do you get the Q correct for that ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi,
    My name is Seb from Paris. I have a bad boy 7 26" 2014.
    I like the design and feel to the handlebars. I changed some parts such as derailleurs and shifters for xt.
    But I have a problem with the internal cable routing : the liners wear out quickly and it will eventually use the framework (I pulled them to show wear). Will there a way to avoid this ?
    TX
    Post Your Bad Boy!-bad-boy.jpgPost Your Bad Boy!-liner-bad-boy.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Road cranks on a Bad Boy

Is the a road crank? How do you get the Q correct for that ?
    Yes these are 172.5 Ultegra cranks and I found the drive side was OK but the non-drive side touched the chainstay under power. Since I already had the cranks, I filed the inside edge of the crank arm above the pedal boss to improve the clearance. I've ridden it now plenty and haven't had any more touching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

1x9 Absolute Black 36t and Magura MT5 Upgrade

Post Your Bad Boy!-absolute-black-magura-mt5.jpg

So just got the Bad Boy back with some changes:

Absolute Black 36 tooth direct mount,
    Still 1X9 setup with the KMC chain but its SL instead of the super light, and rear cassette still 11x32 but the slightly cheaper version as I will likely change it.

Decided to give Magura one last chance with the MT5. The MT7 where too yellow and would make Bad Boy look like a real clown.

A bit lighter now with out the front shifter, and extra chainring and spider. I will review it later on the Bad Boy Stories as I start to get some KMs added.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Name:	Absolute-Black-Magura-MT5.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	967729

Still 1X9 setup with the KMC chain but its SL instead of the super light, and rear cassette still 11x32 but the slightly cheaper version as I will likely change it.

Decided to give Magura one last chance with the MT5. The MT7 where too yellow and would make Bad Boy look like a real clown.

A bit lighter now with out the front shifter, and extra chainring and spider. I will review it later on the Bad Boy Stories as I start to get some KMs added.
    What wheels are those?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Name:	Absolute-Black-Magura-MT5.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	967729

Very nice ! With this configuration, we must put a long cage or a short cage in the rear derailleur please ?