Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2076
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Probably not...it is and nobody seems to care! Anyway with my little winning I got two more posts...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Coming up..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Almost..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    There!

mtbr member
    Why is the last page showing "4 weeks ago"? MTBR is super slow and sometimes it's asking me if I want to stop some sort of script.

Anyway, have the day off and got around to swapping out the rear Kojak 700x28 for Michelin City 700x35. Chaing out the tire was a piece of cake. But man, putting the wheel back on the frame was a pain and at one point I was getting ticked. I've changed tubes on a rear tire before and putting the wheel back on was never this difficult. The problem I ran into was trying to get the chain wrapped around the smallest cog. The RD was in the way and I had to try various positions before I got it just right. Thought I was gonna scratch the frame, damage the rear disc, or bend the RD. Man, never wanna do that again. The fact that the Michelin tire has kevlar protection gives me a peace of mind.

One thing I noticed about the Kojak was how super light it was. I almost regret taking it off, but then the lack of treads does not inspire confidence. Besides, the Michelin City gives the BB a more urban look. It does make the bike about 5mm taller. Not good for my SO height :[

Pic of rear with Michelin City.

Pic of Hone cranks. Notice the sharp edges that follows the stealth fighter design theme

Now to do the front tire. Should be a piece of cake!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks good! Was also thinking about swapping out the kojaks for something with a little more grip now that winter is getting near.

mtbr member
    Boy, changing the front tire was easy peasy! Not sure if it's the rims or the Kojaks, but they were so easy to remove and installing the Michelin tires was just as easy. These are not folding tires either. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of removal and installation. I didn't take the front wheel off. My bike stand is currently being used as a storage holder, so I actually hoisted the front end off the ground.

There is a very small difference in width between the City and Kojak tires. I like how the Michelin tire fits the BB much better as far as aesthetics is concerned. The Kojaks were just too skinny and I thought they looked a bit out of place on the somewhat beefy BB frame. The front Michelin tire fits the front well by "filling" in the gaps. Kojak front just looked weird on the beefy Lefty.

Next may be the brakes. Have a set of Deore hydros. Look better than the stock hydros. But they work fine, so I maight leave them on for now. I really want to swap out the bars, but need to look for the right stem to replace the OPI unit, which I like from an aesthetic point of view, but it doesn't really serve my needs. Anyone interested in trading a 1.5 OP stem/bar unit for a nice 1.5 stem 60-70mm in length?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just picked up a 2013 BB9 for $645 after tax and I love it so far. I would have gotten a BB5 for only a few hundred more, but I'm pretty worried about it getting stolen as is. I think the components are more than worth the upgrade price, but I didn't want to draw more attention with the Lefty fork.

What I have done with it so far:
    - Removed all stickers on frame and rims
    - Tape over the pointless graphic on the top tube with black gaffer tape
    - Replaced quick release skewers with locking ones
    - Flipped the stem

Next mods:
    - Front brake is squeaky, will probably replace rotors
    - Tires don't absorb bumps at all, will move up to a set of 700x32s lying around

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Went with the medium. I could have gone either M or L, but I figured the M would be a bit lighter and a bit more comfortable.

I also have a 56cm matte black 2010 CAAD9-4 for long rides. My city bike before this was a $200 single speed from Amazon. I feel so fast now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I got the BB5 in large, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam.. Own a scalpel lefty as well and wanted to be able to use the wheels off the lefty, have not tried that yet.

Why did you flip the stem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by factory View Post
    Why did you flip the stem?
    Purely aesthetics. I can't even tell the difference ergonomically on a bike with this type of a riding position.

mtbr member
    dj, that's a sweet deal on a '13 BB9. I hear you about the top tube graphics. Totally cheesy. How much was the '13 BB5? Did it have some cheesy graphics too?

Much as I like the beaitiful desoign of the OPI stem/bar unit, I think I will replace it with a stem that will allow me to use my FSA Metropolis commuter bar.

Factory, what year BB5 did you get?

Post up pics!
    Put up pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    dj, that's a sweet deal on a '13 BB9. I hear you about the top tube graphics. Totally cheesy. How much was the '13 BB5? Did it have some cheesy graphics too?

Much as I like the beaitiful desoign of the OPI stem/bar unit, I think I will replace it with a stem that will allow me to use my FSA Metropolis commuter bar.

Factory, what year BB5 did you get?

Post up pics!
    Put up pics!
    The 2013 BB5 was listed for $1000. At the place I go to, you get a 10% discount if you're a gym member, AAA member, Costco member, whatever. So it would be $900 + tax. For comparison, the BB9 was listed at $660, and I got it out the door for $645 (as I said above).

Unfortunately, they didn't have any BB5s, so I couldn't tell you about the graphics. If there was one there, I probably would have bought it because I can't resist. But really happy it wasn't because the 9 really does make more sense for me.

I would be curious to see what the Metropolis looks like on the bike. Are your bars black or silver?

I'll post some pics over the weekend as I'm currently away on business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ...But man, putting the wheel back on the frame was a pain and at one point I was getting ticked. I've changed tubes on a rear tire before and putting the wheel back on was never this difficult. The problem I ran into was trying to get the chain wrapped around the smallest cog. The RD was in the way and I had to try various positions before I got it just right. Thought I was gonna scratch the frame, damage the rear disc, or bend the RD. ...
    I have the same problem with my BB but my deraileur is Sram. It's a freekin' pain in the bum to tackle.
    My Shimano deraileurs are never like this. I did change my Sram stuff to Shimano at one stage but the Sram I've got is so damn smooth to operate, so I put it all back on.

Anyway, here's my old model Bad Boy from last weekend's ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djh01 View Post

I would be curious to see what the Metropolis looks like on the bike. Are your bars black or silver?
    Of course! Btw, how hard was it to remove the stickers off the wheels? Thinking about doing that too. Looks like Cannondale has the 2013 bikes online now. The price for the BB5 is still the same but that changes depwnding on the dealer.

Giant: nice BB! Like the red highlights. What tire did youinstall? What's the width?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Btw, how hard was it to remove the stickers off the wheels? Thinking about doing that too.
    It's very easy. They're just stickers, not under clearcoat or anything. Get it started with your fingernail and just pull off. Remove any residue and then you're done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by djh01 View Post

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Went with the medium. I could have gone either M or L, but I figured the M would be a bit lighter and a bit more comfortable.
    You have basically the same measurements I do. I test rode a "L" and could get away with it, but felt a "M" would be the perfect fit.

mtbr member

MY 2012 BB love it!

sorry .... crapy cel pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Bad Boy!-img_1361.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Giant: nice BB! Like the red highlights. What tire did youinstall? What's the width?
    Thank you. The tyres are Kenda Small Block 8's and 32mm. As mine is an old frame (2007), the recommended width on my model is 28mm, but with the 32mm small blocks, there is a 1.5mm gap left between the frame and tyre. (just just)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sroman View Post
    sorry .... crapy cel pic
    Crappy cell pick, but interesting rear rack. What brand and model is it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sroman View Post
    sorry .... crapy cel pic
    I'm pretty sure I had the same saddle a couple of years ago... the Tioga Fromunder Cheese Saddle AKA Spider.

16v
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Managed to put 700+ miles on so far this summer

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anyone had any issues with excessive popping noise in the break in phase? I assume it is the spokes adjusting but it has been going on for a month or so now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a pop noise for a while, the bike shop ground down the area where the bottom bracket fit and that seemed to have taken care of the sound. Apparently it was a manufacturing flaw on the frame. Speaking of which, how many miles have you put on your bad boys? I have put over 1700 miles on my bad boy 1 that i bought in april. I have been having some issues with the rear hydraulic brake recently. I had it bled once and it started to rub again. Anyone else have any of these issues?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have put about 100 miles on my '13 BB9 so far.

Observations:
    - Grips are uncomfortable without gloves, ordered a set of foam replacements
    - Tires are bad for city riding, way too thin. Put on 700x32s and the difference in ride quality is astounding.
    - Brakes are terrible. Rotors/pads are noisy and calipers require frequent adjustment. Going to replace them ASAP.

Other things I have done since my previous post:
    - Removed pie plate
    - Moved seat forward 1.5 inches

Can't post images yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ummm, boy those Cannondale prices have surged.

www.cannondale.com/bikes/urban

BAD BOY 5
    SKU# 2BS5
    $113,333

Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast