Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481

    Post Your 650b Scalpel or Flash

    Yeah I know this is a bit of a joke as far as a thread goes. There aren't many of them out there but here's mine. Unlike Eliflap's bikes, mine usually get heavier. I added a riser bar, changed the Eggbeater's for Candy's, and swapped the rotors up a size front and rear.

    It's got a bit of dirt on it but the half pound it gained in the past two weeks has made it a more versatile machine.


    So far I'm really happy with this bike. I raced it last Sunday at the Power of Four Mtb race in Aspen. I was very slow but I finished, which is more than Lance can say. Anyway the bike rides great. I guess it voids the warranty, but Cannondales are built pretty good so that doesn't worry me a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your 650b Scalpel or Flash-650photo.jpg  

    Post Your 650b Scalpel or Flash-race.jpg  

    Last edited by YB1; 09-01-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37
    You're getting beat by a girl.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    100
    ..and there's a statue dick in the first pic.

  4. #4
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by 650bee View Post
    You're getting beat by a girl.
    She's a UCI Masters World Champ, Marathom I think, from a few years back...and she was having a good day. Mine was terrible, couldn't get the pulse rate up, slow the whole day. But I didn't crash out.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37
    Just kiddin'.
    Been beat by girls more than once.

  6. #6
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481

    Here's another...

    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,013
    650b Flash




  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    241

    Question for the 650 converters..

    Thinking of converting my Taurine to 650b, jus wondering how much it will affect the geometry and handling? I guess the bb will be raised a bit and steering will be somewhat slower. Will this be a big difference from frames that are specifically designed for 650b, or 29" for that matter.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    672
    Just how many Flash/Scalpel Ultimates are there in the UK?

    They seem to be as rare as rocking horse s**t.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  10. #10
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Thinking of converting my Taurine to 650b, jus wondering how much it will affect the geometry and handling? I guess the bb will be raised a bit and steering will be somewhat slower. Will this be a big difference from frames that are specifically designed for 650b, or 29" for that matter.
    I don't think you're going to notice any huge difference. If you run big tires on your 26" wheel already you're not going to find it possible to really increase overall diameter that much, maybe a half inch at most.

    For me the conversion made sense because on the Scalpel 80 the 650b Racing Ralph just barely fits, and is a big jump from Furious Fred's on stock wheels. The bike rocks.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    241

    No change then

    Thanks YB1,

    I currently run Schwalbe RR 2.25 on my Taurine, great tire. I recollect reading that the RR 2.25 in 650B will not fit a Taurine, or only with very small margins. Since we see of lot of mud here in my region, I need some clearance. Could use a RR 2.1, but the the difference of going 650B would indeed be marginal.

    BTW, just upgrade to a Cannondale 'SAVE' seatpost. Best upgrade ever, really smoothens the ride, worth every penny!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    672
    The Furious Freds aren't really ideal for any off-road cycling imo.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Thanks YB1,

    I currently run Schwalbe RR 2.25 on my Taurine, great tire. I recollect reading that the RR 2.25 in 650B will not fit a Taurine, or only with very small margins. Since we see of lot of mud here in my region, I need some clearance. Could use a RR 2.1, but the the difference of going 650B would indeed be marginal.

    BTW, just upgrade to a Cannondale 'SAVE' seatpost. Best upgrade ever, really smoothens the ride, worth every penny!
    What seatpost did you have before? I have been thinking about upgrading to the S.A.V.E seatpost on my Taurine, but have had conflicting feedback on whether it will make a difference or not.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_S_Africa View Post
    What seatpost did you have before? I have been thinking about upgrading to the S.A.V.E seatpost on my Taurine, but have had conflicting feedback on whether it will make a difference or not.
    Hi Nick,

    It was the seatpost that came stock on my Taurine, an ALU post from cannondale. Stiff and light, the new save post is much lighter. However, in ride quality the two really cannot be compared. The SAVE post is so much smoother and comfortable, I have to say that this is the best upgrade I have ever bought for a bike. I can stay seated in much rougher sections then before. Note that we don't have any rocky sections where I ride, only forrest with roots etc, but it certainly helped to add to the comfort of the bike. All in all I can ride longer without getting a sore back, which for me is a big plus.

    The SAVE post only comes in 27.2mm, so you'll need a shim to have it fit in a Taurine.

    Just spotted on Bikeradar that Syntace will also bring a 'comfort 'carbon post. See Eurobike 2011: Syntace's New Carbon Post With Built-in Flex - BikeRadar

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Hi Nick,

    It was the seatpost that came stock on my Taurine, an ALU post from cannondale. Stiff and light, the new save post is much lighter. However, in ride quality the two really cannot be compared. The SAVE post is so much smoother and comfortable, I have to say that this is the best upgrade I have ever bought for a bike. I can stay seated in much rougher sections then before. Note that we don't have any rocky sections where I ride, only forrest with roots etc, but it certainly helped to add to the comfort of the bike. All in all I can ride longer without getting a sore back, which for me is a big plus.

    The SAVE post only comes in 27.2mm, so you'll need a shim to have it fit in a Taurine.

    Just spotted on Bikeradar that Syntace will also bring a 'comfort 'carbon post. See Eurobike 2011: Syntace's New Carbon Post With Built-in Flex - BikeRadar
    Great, thanks for the feedback Jowan - your have made my mind up for me. I have the shim already, just need to find a SAVE seatpost, they are out of stock and on backorder here in Sunny South Africa but I will sooner or later track one down. It seems it will make a brilliant bike even better.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_S_Africa View Post
    Great, thanks for the feedback Jowan - your have made my mind up for me. I have the shim already, just need to find a SAVE seatpost, they are out of stock and on backorder here in Sunny South Africa but I will sooner or later track one down. It seems it will make a brilliant bike even better.
    Bes sure to let us know your findings when you have been able to get one!

  17. #17
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Here's another one, not mine. And still waiting to see Nathanbal's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your 650b Scalpel or Flash-img_0025.jpg  

    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1
    Next week I'll have 650b on my Flash Carbon 2011.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1 View Post
    Here's another one, not mine. And still waiting to see Nathanbal's.
    After one ride on the 650b I sold the Scalpel and ordered a 29 Scalpel... That's how convinced of the bigger wheels I got !!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    After one ride on the 650b I sold the Scalpel and ordered a 29 Scalpel... That's how convinced of the bigger wheels I got !!
    So I'm a bit confused. You went to 650b and since you had a good experience you decided bigger would be better and went 29". Bigger isn't always better.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    So I'm a bit confused. You went to 650b and since you had a good experience you decided bigger would be better and went 29". Bigger isn't always better.
    hahaha.... clearly you havent ridden the Scaplel 29er.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89
    Just ordered some crest rims and Schwable RR today for my 2011 scalpel. Cant wait to try it. Still trying to decide on a rear hub.
    I will post pics when its ready to ride

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    234
    I think it should be mandatory for people who "love the 29" wheel change post their height and inseam.

    Also I think the whole debate also depends on what kind of riding you do.

    Big difference in all mountain vs. XC etc.

    Even the pros adjust depending on riding conditions. Many are considering 650b for the olympics (especially the shorter guys/gals)

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6
    Hi all,

    First post, so be kind :-)
    I have a 2012 Scalpel size L, with Stan's Crest 650b wheelset. And Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.10 tubeless.

    My problem is, that when I hit a bump/hole on the trails, when sitting in the seat, the rear tire is rubbing og the front derailleur(Sram XO).

    Do any of you guys have the same problem? Or is it all perfect? :-)

    I'm going to the Leadville race in August, and can't deside if I should continue with the 650b wheelset, og my 26" wheelset....Help please. :-)

    Thanks
    Bjorn

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,292
    do schwalbe make a 2.1 racing ralph in 650b? i thought they were 2.25? i found the racing ralph to run way too close to the frame so opted for the pancetti instead. i never had a problem with the pancetti.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Flash 650b - Yes and No
    By 88 rex in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM
  2. Help - Scalpel vs Flash - Sizes
    By Not-4-You in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM
  3. Cannondale Flash 650B
    By BertP in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM
  4. Flash or Taurine 650B
    By scarsellone in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
  5. From a M Scalpel to an L Flash
    By YB1 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •