Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 438
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465

    Post a pic of your Cannondale 29er

    Havent seen many Caffeine 29ers so i though i'd share a photo of my new rig.

    Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Took it to MCS for some necessary modifications. Ditched the SRAM drive train in favor of a mix of Shimano XT/LX/XTR dual control, etc. Next up are wheels I9 or King TBD. Cant wait to get it out on a trail should be a lot of fun and a completely different ride from my prophet.

    Gordy
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    That is a nice shot, love that finish.....He dropped a pound off it already too=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  3. #3
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Nice, but as a graphic designer, I must suggest. Get a custom made Lefty boot made of brown leather and matching grips to complement your saddle!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nice, but as a graphic designer, I must suggest. Get a custom made Lefty boot made of brown leather and matching grips to complement your saddle!
    hmmmm. now that would be sharp. All i need to do is contact Brooks and have them stitch up a one-off leather lefty boot : )))

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    hmmmm. now that would be sharp. All i need to do is contact Brooks and have them stitch up a one-off leather lefty boot : )))
    Why not? To convince them to do it for free, tell them they will be able to show off your bike at next years Interbike!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.
    Those?








    There is a price to pay for being stylish!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Those?



    There is a price to pay for being stylish!
    i may soil myself

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.
    we could always I9 to drop a pound again something old something new

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    Yeah Dan, those. That's skirting the edge of porn, those pics, better watch out for Tony, he may yank this thread What's really cool about them, is they are customizeable length, and use spokes to hold them together, how friggin cool is that?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  11. #11
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I've got a carbon lefty and an F29 on its way right now. Were looking at a 21lb build with all the trimmings. Pictures to come.....
    21?!?

    SS?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlipperyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    360
    I think you can get it down to 21 lbs if you remove the downtube.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    Pictures to come.....
    please do. 21 lbs (scratching head) I've got a lot of work to do

  14. #14
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    I think you can get it down to 21 lbs if you remove the downtube.
    Cannondale partners with Slingshot...Brilliant!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    529
    that looks like the spawn of my rush and raw capo. man that thing is nice. what's the ride like compared to your prophet? better or just different? i may have to get one.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465

    different (i think)

    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    that looks like the spawn of my rush and raw capo. man that thing is nice. what's the ride like compared to your prophet? better or just different? i may have to get one.
    thanks. I have not had the opportunity to trail ride the 29er. however that will all change tonight - i'm taking it out fo its maiden voyage on a night ride on some packed powder (super grippy).

    Based on some "around the neighborhood" riding it feels quite different from the prophet. When you get this thing up to speed it just rolls!!!! also the big wheels really "smooth" things out. it should be alot of fun for fast rolling single track. i think in the rock gardens and nasty technical decents the prophet will still be the choice. IMO the Prophet and Caffeine 29er are a perfect set of bikes for the stable. Completely different bikes. Both fun to ride but accel in different areas.

    elgordo

  17. #17
    Cannondale Snob
    Reputation: RiskEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    715
    I test-rode a medium F29 and was far from impressed. My biggest complaint was that the geometry for a medium frame was nothing short of retarded. There was considerable toe/tire overlap and I smacked my toes into the back of the tire with dissapointing regularity. Uphill twisty turns were the worst, as you're going slow enough to need to turn the tire more and can least afford to waste energy pushing your shoes down the back side of the tire

    This wasn't a problem on the large model but I'm not tall enough for that!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KarlosPirahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    387
    The Caffeine 29er doesn't appear to be available in the UK

    Anyone know of any exporters to the UK, prices of full bike or frame & fork etc ?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    I test-rode a medium F29 and was far from impressed. My biggest complaint was that the geometry for a medium frame was nothing short of retarded. There was considerable toe/tire overlap and I smacked my toes into the back of the tire with dissapointing regularity. Uphill twisty turns were the worst, as you're going slow enough to need to turn the tire more and can least afford to waste energy pushing your shoes down the back side of the tire

    This wasn't a problem on the large model but I'm not tall enough for that!

    not sure about the medium geometry but I am 5'10" and ride a large. No toe over lap and plenty of stand-over etc. For me the Large is perfect and with the Jones Bars (slightly rearward leaning) the cockpit (EFT) is perfect. Perhaps some one with a medium could chime in about their fit.

  20. #20
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    not sure about the medium geometry but I am 5'10" and ride a large. No toe over lap and plenty of stand-over etc. For me the Large is perfect and with the Jones Bars (slightly rearward leaning) the cockpit (EFT) is perfect. Perhaps some one with a medium could chime in about their fit.

    Come on, tell 'em about your high speed ride in 6" of snow, on top of another foot and a half. Test ride thoughts please
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Come on, tell 'em about your high speed ride in 6" of snow, on top of another foot and a half. Test ride thoughts please
    thoughts are check the weather every hour if you live in western NY and keep your ski's in the car just in case as for the 29er check back in may

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    789
    hey elgordo, could we get a pix of your handle bars? what the heck? what kind of bars are those?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    hey elgordo, could we get a pix of your handle bars? what the heck? what kind of bars are those?
    broomhandle. I dont have any better photos of the bars at this time. However they are H-Bars made by Jeff Jones:

    http://www.jonesbikes.com/

    MCS turned me onto the Jones bar and now I am a true believer Ti goodness and oh so ergonomic

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14
    top looking rig they shalt not covet but gna hav 2 4 a while cant work out why cdale havnt put this and the capo out in the uk yet .lot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster frm spesh recieved v well good things come 2 those who wait.

  25. #25
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by gribbledot
    top looking rig they shalt not covet but gna hav 2 4 a while cant work out why cdale havnt put this and the capo out in the uk yet .lot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster frm spesh recieved v well good things come 2 those who wait.
    Is your keyboard broken?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  26. #26
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Is your keyboard broken?

    Priceless
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  27. #27
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Translation
    Top looking rig! Thou shalt not covet - but you are going to have to for a while!! I can't work out why cdale hasn't put this and the capo out in the uk yet!?!? .There is alot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster from specialized was recieved very well.
    Oh well, good things come to those who wait.


    Hey peace out !!!!!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paul1PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    104

    Caffeine frame finish question.

    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing!

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

  29. #29
    dh1
    dh1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    436

    Yeah, I likey the bars too, but

    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    broomhandle. I dont have any better photos of the bars at this time. However they are H-Bars made by Jeff Jones:

    http://www.jonesbikes.com/

    MCS turned me onto the Jones bar and now I am a true believer Ti goodness and oh so ergonomic
    I will have to sell one of my kids to buy them. $250 for bars

    I hope none of my friends buys any. I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist. (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).

  30. #30
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist.
    That was his mistake as well
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing!

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul
    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing!

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul
    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

    rock on

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).
    I like the "temporarily". yeah like MCS said. If you try them you will want them so for you kids sake I recommend saying far far away

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    789
    cool bars, but i think i would have to ride it 1st. and i would like more of a monkey style raise to them i think. but nice bike! and where are the other 29ers? just 1?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paul1PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

    rock on
    Thanks for the replies trauma-md and elgordo! Pleased to hear this since I really like the natural aluminum look. And like you said, they look better longer and easier to maintain. And if you're a weight weenie, a non-painted frame will be a tad bit lighter too.

    Hmmm, just may have to take the Caffeine 29er plunge now! And trauma-md, try to post some pics after your project is finished.

    Paul
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

  36. #36
    368
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    509

    build

    trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.

  37. #37
    368
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    509

    similar

    Maxrep, I just posed a very similar question to Trauma MD. What is your build looking like? What do you suggest for a wheelset?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I've got a carbon lefty and an F29 on its way right now. Were looking at a 21lb build with all the trimmings. Pictures to come.....

  38. #38
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,341
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    What do you suggest for a wheelset?
    I'm not Maxrep, but if I were you, Industry 9. All, day, long. Light, stiff, quick, I love 'em.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    238

    Here is mine.

    I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

    Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

    I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

    I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

    ..to be continued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

  40. #40
    mtbnj.com
    Reputation: walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog
    I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

    Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

    I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

    I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

    ..to be continued.
    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job
    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

    The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

    Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.


    j
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

  42. #42
    mtbnj.com
    Reputation: walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog
    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

    The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

    Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.


    j

    I know, I was just being an ass.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    648
    I received my frame last week, now I'm waiting on some of the other parts.

    Lefty SL
    XO twist, rear der
    XTR front der
    Marta brakes, 180 front?
    Stans Arch rims
    Hope Pro II rear hub
    C'dale front hub
    Thomson post
    WTB Stealth or Pure V saddle
    Ritchey foam grips
    Ritchey WCS ergo bar ends
    Bar will depend on stem required

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10

    Lock on Grips

    Found this thread from Google search for "brooks lock on grips". Does anyone how they lock on? Seems like it may be from compressing the leather washers, but difficult to tell just looking at pictures.

    Thanks,

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.
    sorry for the delay...I have a Carbon Lefty SL and Industry 9 wheels on the way. otherwise, it is singlespeed with a polished XTR 960 crankset with Blackspire SS ring (ala Jones), Kforce riser, 1 piece SI stem/steerer, Thomson MP post, & Avid Juicy Ultimates. I hope 21 lbs when complete!

    As far as the wheels are concerned, if you have to stick to your budget...go to Stans site and you can build a light set for about $600. www.notubes.com . As Mendon has said, if there is any chance at getting the I9's...DO IT.

  46. #46
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,293
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    Havent seen many Caffeine 29ers so i though i'd share a photo of my new rig.

    Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Took it to MCS for some necessary modifications. Ditched the SRAM drive train in favor of a mix of Shimano XT/LX/XTR dual control, etc. Next up are wheels I9 or King TBD. Cant wait to get it out on a trail should be a lot of fun and a completely different ride from my prophet.

    Gordy
    Very nice bike!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Very nice bike!
    hey rzozaya

    thanks. now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!

    gordy

  48. #48
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!
    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend.

    And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  49. #49
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend.

    And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night!
    Dan you crack me up.
    I guess I should pay a trip to my LBS to see if we have any Carbon's in town yet.
    So far we have about 12cm of snow here since last night. Sucks.
    <Insert Quiver>

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I9's will be here soon!
    maxrep sweet rig. what color/rims are you going to run on the I9s?

  51. #51
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Dan you crack me up.
    I guess I should pay a trip to my LBS to see if we have any Carbon's in town yet.
    So far we have about 12cm of snow here since last night. Sucks.
    We had over 40 cm since friday night... Back to the snowboard.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    The rims will be black, Arch in the rear and ZTR355 up front.
    crazy. i just ordered up a set of I9s Arch in rear and 355 in front too! red and black. how long have you been waiting for these puppies?

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    58

    Prepare to wait....

    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    crazy. i just ordered up a set of I9s Arch in rear and 355 in front too! red and black. how long have you been waiting for these puppies?
    I ordered I9s for my F29 right around the first of February, It looks like I will have them in a week or two.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeuphill9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    231
    I have been thinking about H-Bars for my SS bike. A cheaper option is the Jeff Jones designed Titec Jones H-Bars. There are slight differences (have riser mid section) and are aluminum, but are only $70.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimon
    I ordered I9s for my F29 right around the first of February, It looks like I will have them in a week or two.
    I was quotes 4 weeks and although its hard to sleep a night its a wait i can handle anything longer though ........

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elgordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeuphill9
    I have been thinking about H-Bars for my SS bike. A cheaper option is the Jeff Jones designed Titec Jones H-Bars. There are slight differences (have riser mid section) and are aluminum, but are only $70.
    if your SS has a rigid fork - Jones bars all the way. they will make a huge difference. if you have front suspension the Jones bars will make a difference but perhaps not worth the extra $$$ over the titec. FWIW i love my jones bars. they are one of those things if you try them you wont want to go back .....

  57. #57
    clone
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    161
    Here's another, since upgraded with XT cranks. Some bling from messers Thompson and Kenda on the immediate horizon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15

    F29 single speed

    I just finished my F29 SS this weekend
    ( I am not sure how to post pics but htere is a pic of it on my blog
    http://1speedroadwarrior.blogspot.com/ )

    F29 frame (raw) size LRG
    Lefty DLR (I think thats what it is , its what ever was stock on the bike)
    Eno disc rear Hub
    Salsa delgado race 29er rims
    lefty hub
    Avid juicy 5's
    Origin8 carbon flat bars and seatpost
    Serfas stinger carbon saddle
    ritchey Pro Logic Crank
    dura Ace bottom bracket

    stock weight of geared Bike 29.24 lbs
    weight of the Single Speed - 22.14 lbs

  59. #59
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by lcckid
    I just finished my F29 SS this weekend
    ( I am not sure how to post pics but htere is a pic of it on my blog
    http://1speedroadwarrior.blogspot.com/ )
    I hope you don't mind:

    <Insert Quiver>

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15
    no man I don't mind
    I appreciate it

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15

    22 LB C-dale 29er

    sorry I messed my post earlier
    Quote Originally Posted by lcckid
    I just finished my F29 SS this weekend
    ( I am not sure how to post pics but htere is a pic of it on my blog
    http://1speedroadwarrior.blogspot.com/ )

    F29 frame (raw) size LRG
    Lefty DLR (I think thats what it is , its what ever was stock on the bike)
    Eno disc rear Hub
    Salsa delgado race 29er rims
    lefty hub
    Avid juicy 5's
    Origin8 carbon flat bars and seatpost
    Serfas stinger carbon saddle
    ritchey Pro Logic Crank
    dura Ace bottom bracket

    stock weight of geared Bike 29.24 lbs
    weight of the Single Speed - 22.14 lbs

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    this should be stickied... along with the rest of the "post your pick threads"...

  63. #63
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,833
    so ... raw frame is very cool

    mine is arriving ..........

  64. #64
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    this should be stickied... along with the rest of the "post your pick threads"...
    done

  65. #65
    Scalpel Fan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    468




    Took 2nd in Men's Sport (3rd in all of sport riders - 49 total) on it this weekend at the Creek to Peak (WVMBA points series). It is an amazing bike.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    done
    i'll post mine up soon...

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    Looks like a lot of sag Quentin...

  68. #68
    Scalpel Fan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Looks like a lot of sag Quentin...
    I'm on my power stroke. This is the beginning of the race so I'm hammering to get up to speed. I'm not bottoming out the fork during the rides either. My boot is all screwed up (I think the fork was leaned up against something or something laid on the boot a long time before I got it.) It looks less strange now that I've rotated it back to normal where it had a little twist in the photo.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41

    My '08 F2

    Fun to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  70. #70
    Southerner In NJ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    61
    I posted this in these in the wrong thread before. Here is my '09 F29 2. Absolutely love this bike have raced it once so far and 2nd time soon to come. I've owned it a little more than a month and have already put 20+ rides on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41
    "I'm on my power stroke."

    You oughtta see me on my power stroke...

    lol

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    I'm on my power stroke. This is the beginning of the race so I'm hammering to get up to speed. I'm not bottoming out the fork during the rides either. My boot is all screwed up (I think the fork was leaned up against something or something laid on the boot a long time before I got it.) It looks less strange now that I've rotated it back to normal where it had a little twist in the photo.
    Cool, I was just making sure that you weren't bottoming out the lefty during pedal strokes. Not to get off topic, but did you get the Carbon Lefty/XMax's?

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    62
    Finally got around to putting up some pics up...







    Upgrades to standard spec:

    2008 Cannondale 29er 3
    Avid BB7s
    Stans Arch
    DT Swiss 240 Rear Hub
    Ritchey WCS Swept Flat Bar
    Cannondale SI Headset
    Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Selle Italia Signio saddle
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 front, 2.25 Rear
    Time ATAC Pedals


    Weight - 11kg including pedals, computer, water bottle holder.

    Love it... now got a 29er 1 on the way as a geared race bike...

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3

    29er Commuter

    Bought this 29er last week to be my work commuter.
    The paint is lame, but it rides great and looks wicked cool with the skinny tires

    Attached Images Attached Images

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    556

    Good job!

    I guess I'll post up a couple pictures of my non lefty 29er 4. Only upgrades have been the big ring protector and the Crank Bros Mallet 1 pedals. Just starting out in the MTB world but I'm really enjoying this bike so far. I also switched my brakes moto style since I ride motorcycles, seems more natural to me.






  76. #76
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274

    Cannondale 29er 1







    <Insert Quiver>

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cengle33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    36

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cengle33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    36

    F1 08

    Carbon Lefty, and a King rear hub

    Just rode in the 24 hours of Big Bear, baby needs a bath.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  79. #79
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,833








    2 steps to the goal of finish my 29er

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    whats the weight looking like eli??

  81. #81
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,833
    some minutes ago came back, first 50 km done , a known round robin...

    unfortunately, my Edge was empty of power..so i cannot check speed , tomorrow i am doing again ...

    however , the 36T is very OK but you must pedal at higher cadence than other gear on 26" ..and for my body is not usual ...

    21T is very good on the little hills found this morning

    i installed M751 top pull down swing XT Shimano 2003 model front derailleur but for the small difference from 36 and 42T i was not able to have the 42T on .

    so i use 29er as a double 36-21 and the 42 as bash guard .... no issues on chain

    weight this morning was 9820 with 4Ti pedals , XT front der....ready to roll

    i planned to :

    lower 280 g with the AX Lightness seatpost ( 120 instead 400 g of this Cannondale C4 )

    lower 70-80 g with foam grips instead of 100g Sram ones

    grow 100 g with SL pedals instead 4Ti

    lower 20-30-40 g with a carbon bashguard instead 42T ring 56g

    so final weight will be around 9500-9600 g

    i used hoses for gear cables what i have at home , not light parts...maybe 40-50 g to loose with I-link Alligator hoses

  82. #82
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,224
    eli, you going to go to a stan's 355 based wheelset? I'm sure you know that that will save a few grams...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  83. #83
    Scalpel Fan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by cengle33
    Carbon Lefty, and a King rear hub

    Just rode in the 24 hours of Big Bear, baby needs a bath.
    I've been wanting to do that race for several years now. I always have something else I have to do instead (friend's wedding last year, anniversary w/ the wife this year).

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    eli, you going to go to a stan's 355 based wheelset? I'm sure you know that that will save a few grams...
    The 29er Race wheelset it even lighter:

    Front:


    Rear:

  85. #85
    USED2COULD
    Reputation: NS2000X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,274
    They are very light, but also pricey. Especially now that I9 offer the Ultralite Race wheelset.

    Makes the 470g Arch rims on my 29er seem like boat anchors!
    <Insert Quiver>

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    sub 1400g for a 29er wheelset is pretty fantastic. although wouldnt the longer spokes (but same guage as a 26er) mean that its probably weaker than the 26er? stan doesnt build them up with 3x either right?

    im not an engineer or a wheelbuilder so apologies if this is dumb question...

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    some minutes ago came back, first 50 km done , a known round robin...

    unfortunately, my Edge was empty of power..so i cannot check speed , tomorrow i am doing again ...

    however , the 36T is very OK but you must pedal at higher cadence than other gear on 26" ..and for my body is not usual ...

    21T is very good on the little hills found this morning

    i installed M751 top pull down swing XT Shimano 2003 model front derailleur but for the small difference from 36 and 42T i was not able to have the 42T on .

    so i use 29er as a double 36-21 and the 42 as bash guard .... no issues on chain

    weight this morning was 9820 with 4Ti pedals , XT front der....ready to roll

    i planned to :

    lower 280 g with the AX Lightness seatpost ( 120 instead 400 g of this Cannondale C4 )

    lower 70-80 g with foam grips instead of 100g Sram ones

    grow 100 g with SL pedals instead 4Ti

    lower 20-30-40 g with a carbon bashguard instead 42T ring 56g

    so final weight will be around 9500-9600 g

    i used hoses for gear cables what i have at home , not light parts...maybe 40-50 g to loose with I-link Alligator hoses
    is that your second set of R1's or did you strip the Scalpel !!

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    is that your second set of R1's or did you strip the Scalpel !!
    Thats his second. The ones on the Scalpel are the polished ones off a Scott.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    632
    F29 1FG, Industry Nine wheels, Custom machined XTR 960 crank converted to SS, Juicy Ultimates.....18.2lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images

  90. #90
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955

    Smile 2009 Cannondale 29er 2





    pink

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    648
    I thought I uploaded these before but it looks like there are a lot of posts missing. Waiting on availability of the Flash 29'ers


  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    254
    Large 2009 29er 1.


  93. #93
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955





    Put new shoes, grips, and head wrench.

    pink

  94. #94
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955



    pink

  95. #95
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,224

    Caffine 2.75

    Custom Caffine. Caffine 2 frame, Lefty 29er SL, XO, FSA, stan's 355 wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post a pic of your Cannondale  29er-c-dale-29er-2....jpeg  

    Post a pic of your Cannondale  29er-591586877_a6fpy-o....jpg  

    Brought to you by rocks.

  96. #96
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Hey Mendon where are those pictures of that 29er you build out of the Super-V I sold you?
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    648
    Just built this one up last night.

  98. #98
    Missouri sucks...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,306



  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    733
    Here's my 2009 29'er 2. I picked up this spring on sale and am really liking it. I was coming off of a 1995 M800 Beast, so it was time for an upgrade. I had always wanted a Lefty and I wanted one of the Made-in-the-USA frames before they go away.

    I've made a few changes as I've found deals and others just to suit the kind of trails I ride.

    My last ride was especially muddy, so I had her cleaned up for today's ride so I shot a couple pics.

    ----------------

    Frame: 2009 29er 2, Large
    Fork: stock - Lefty DLR
    Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Carbon Flat - 31.8 x 580
    Grips: Ritchey WCS Ergo foam
    Brakes: stock - Avid Juicy 3 180/165 mm
    Shifters: SRAM X-7 (no indicator)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771
    Rear Derailleur: 2010 SRAM X.9 Medium cage
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980 11-34
    Chain: stock Shimano HG-53
    Cranks: stock Shimano M521
    Pedals: Ritchey V4 SE (red from Nashbar)
    Rims: stock - Jalco X320
    Hubs: stock Shimano M475 rear
    Tires: stock Conti Race King 29x 2.2
    Saddle: stock Cannondale CO2
    Seatpost: Ritchey WCS Carbon 1-bolt, 31.6x350

    ----------------













    Last edited by J_Westy; 06-25-2010 at 07:33 AM.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy
    Here's my 2009 29'er 2. I picked up this spring on sale and am really liking it. I was coming off of a 1995 M800 Beast, so it was time for an upgrade. I had always wanted a Lefty and I wanted one of the Made-in-the-USA frames before they go away.

    I've made a few changes as I've found deals and others just to suit the kind of trails I ride.

    My last ride was especially muddy, so I had her cleaned up for today's ride so I shot a couple pics.

    ----------------

    Frame: 2009 29er 2, Large
    Fork: stock - Lefty DLR
    Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Carbon Flat - 31.8 x 580
    Grips: Ritchey WCS Ergo foam
    Brakes: stock - Avid Juicy 3 180/165 mm
    Shifters: SRAM X-7 (no indicator)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771
    Rear Derailleur: 2010 SRAM X.9 Medium cage
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980 11-34
    Chain: stock Shimano HG-53
    Cranks: stock Shimano M521
    Pedals: Ritchey V4 SE (red from Nashbar)
    Rims: stock - Jalco X320
    Hubs: stock Shimano M475 rear
    Tires: stock Conti Race King 29x 2.2
    Saddle: stock Cannondale CO2
    Seatpost: Ritchey WCS Carbon 1-bolt, 31.6x350

    ----------------











    Lovely bike , I have always liked that graphics package as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •