• 02-22-2007
    elgordo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Post a pic of your Cannondale 29er
    Havent seen many Caffeine 29ers so i though i'd share a photo of my new rig.

    Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Took it to MCS for some necessary modifications. Ditched the SRAM drive train in favor of a mix of Shimano XT/LX/XTR dual control, etc. Next up are wheels I9 or King TBD. Cant wait to get it out on a trail should be a lot of fun and a completely different ride from my prophet.

    Gordy
  • 02-22-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    That is a nice shot, love that finish.....He dropped a pound off it already too=:)
  • 02-22-2007
    Dan Gerous
    Nice, but as a graphic designer, I must suggest. Get a custom made Lefty boot made of brown leather and matching grips to complement your saddle! :thumbsup:
  • 02-22-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nice, but as a graphic designer, I must suggest. Get a custom made Lefty boot made of brown leather and matching grips to complement your saddle! :thumbsup:

    hmmmm. now that would be sharp. All i need to do is contact Brooks and have them stitch up a one-off leather lefty boot : )))
  • 02-22-2007
    Dan Gerous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    hmmmm. now that would be sharp. All i need to do is contact Brooks and have them stitch up a one-off leather lefty boot : )))

    Why not? To convince them to do it for free, tell them they will be able to show off your bike at next years Interbike! :p
  • 02-22-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too :D They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.
  • 02-22-2007
    Dan Gerous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too :D They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.

    Those?








    There is a price to pay for being stylish!
  • 02-22-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Those?



    There is a price to pay for being stylish!

    i may soil myself :p
  • 02-22-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You guys are aware of the new Brooks lock on grips, which are leather, aren't you? Yeah, they come in all the cool colors too :D They would, unfortunately, add most of that pound lost, back on.

    we could always I9 to drop a pound again :D something old something new
  • 02-22-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah Dan, those. That's skirting the edge of porn, those pics, better watch out for Tony, he may yank this thread:D What's really cool about them, is they are customizeable length, and use spokes to hold them together, how friggin cool is that?
  • 02-23-2007
    CdaleTony
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I've got a carbon lefty and an F29 on its way right now. Were looking at a 21lb build with all the trimmings. Pictures to come.....

    21?!?

    SS?
  • 02-24-2007
    SlipperyPete
    I think you can get it down to 21 lbs if you remove the downtube. ;)
  • 02-24-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maxrep
    Pictures to come.....

    please do. 21 lbs (scratching head) I've got a lot of work to do :eek:
  • 02-24-2007
    CdaleTony
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    I think you can get it down to 21 lbs if you remove the downtube. ;)

    Cannondale partners with Slingshot...Brilliant! :thumbsup:
  • 02-24-2007
    edge
    that looks like the spawn of my rush and raw capo. man that thing is nice. what's the ride like compared to your prophet? better or just different? i may have to get one.
  • 02-25-2007
    elgordo
    different (i think)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by edge
    that looks like the spawn of my rush and raw capo. man that thing is nice. what's the ride like compared to your prophet? better or just different? i may have to get one.

    thanks. I have not had the opportunity to trail ride the 29er. however that will all change tonight - i'm taking it out fo its maiden voyage on a night ride on some packed powder (super grippy).

    Based on some "around the neighborhood" riding it feels quite different from the prophet. When you get this thing up to speed it just rolls!!!! also the big wheels really "smooth" things out. it should be alot of fun for fast rolling single track. i think in the rock gardens and nasty technical decents the prophet will still be the choice. IMO the Prophet and Caffeine 29er are a perfect set of bikes for the stable. Completely different bikes. Both fun to ride but accel in different areas.

    elgordo
  • 02-26-2007
    RiskEverything
    I test-rode a medium F29 and was far from impressed. My biggest complaint was that the geometry for a medium frame was nothing short of retarded. There was considerable toe/tire overlap and I smacked my toes into the back of the tire with dissapointing regularity. Uphill twisty turns were the worst, as you're going slow enough to need to turn the tire more and can least afford to waste energy pushing your shoes down the back side of the tire :madman:

    This wasn't a problem on the large model but I'm not tall enough for that!
  • 02-26-2007
    KarlosPirahna
    The Caffeine 29er doesn't appear to be available in the UK :mad:

    Anyone know of any exporters to the UK, prices of full bike or frame & fork etc ?
  • 02-26-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    I test-rode a medium F29 and was far from impressed. My biggest complaint was that the geometry for a medium frame was nothing short of retarded. There was considerable toe/tire overlap and I smacked my toes into the back of the tire with dissapointing regularity. Uphill twisty turns were the worst, as you're going slow enough to need to turn the tire more and can least afford to waste energy pushing your shoes down the back side of the tire :madman:

    This wasn't a problem on the large model but I'm not tall enough for that!


    not sure about the medium geometry but I am 5'10" and ride a large. No toe over lap and plenty of stand-over etc. For me the Large is perfect and with the Jones Bars (slightly rearward leaning) the cockpit (EFT) is perfect. Perhaps some one with a medium could chime in about their fit.
  • 02-26-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    not sure about the medium geometry but I am 5'10" and ride a large. No toe over lap and plenty of stand-over etc. For me the Large is perfect and with the Jones Bars (slightly rearward leaning) the cockpit (EFT) is perfect. Perhaps some one with a medium could chime in about their fit.


    Come on, tell 'em about your high speed ride in 6" of snow, on top of another foot and a half. Test ride thoughts please :D
  • 02-26-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Come on, tell 'em about your high speed ride in 6" of snow, on top of another foot and a half. Test ride thoughts please :D

    thoughts are check the weather every hour if you live in western NY and keep your ski's in the car just in case ;) as for the 29er check back in may
  • 02-28-2007
    broomhandle
    hey elgordo, could we get a pix of your handle bars? what the heck? what kind of bars are those?
  • 03-01-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by broomhandle
    hey elgordo, could we get a pix of your handle bars? what the heck? what kind of bars are those?

    broomhandle. I dont have any better photos of the bars at this time. However they are H-Bars made by Jeff Jones:

    http://www.jonesbikes.com/

    MCS turned me onto the Jones bar and now I am a true believer :thumbsup: Ti goodness and oh so ergonomic
  • 03-01-2007
    gribbledot
    top looking rig they shalt not covet but gna hav 2 4 a while cant work out why cdale havnt put this and the capo out in the uk yet .lot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster frm spesh recieved v well good things come 2 those who wait.
  • 03-01-2007
    Dan Gerous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gribbledot
    top looking rig they shalt not covet but gna hav 2 4 a while cant work out why cdale havnt put this and the capo out in the uk yet .lot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster frm spesh recieved v well good things come 2 those who wait.

    Is your keyboard broken? :confused:
  • 03-01-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Is your keyboard broken? :confused:


    Priceless:D :D :D :D
  • 03-01-2007
    CdaleTony
    Translation
    Top looking rig! Thou shalt not covet - but you are going to have to for a while!! I can't work out why cdale hasn't put this and the capo out in the uk yet!?!? .There is alot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster from specialized was recieved very well.
    Oh well, good things come to those who wait.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :D :D :D

    Hey peace out !!!!!
    :p
  • 03-01-2007
    Paul1PA
    Caffeine frame finish question.
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing! :thumbsup:

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul
  • 03-01-2007
    dh1
    Yeah, I likey the bars too, but
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    broomhandle. I dont have any better photos of the bars at this time. However they are H-Bars made by Jeff Jones:

    http://www.jonesbikes.com/

    MCS turned me onto the Jones bar and now I am a true believer :thumbsup: Ti goodness and oh so ergonomic

    I will have to sell one of my kids to buy them. $250 for bars:eekster:

    I hope none of my friends buys any. I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist. (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).
  • 03-01-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dh1
    I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist.

    That was his mistake as well :p
  • 03-01-2007
    trauma-md
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paul1PA
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing! :thumbsup:

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul

    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.
  • 03-02-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Paul1PA
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing! :thumbsup:

    Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul

    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

    rock on
  • 03-02-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dh1
    (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).

    I like the "temporarily". yeah like MCS said. If you try them you will want them so for you kids sake I recommend saying far far away ;)
  • 03-02-2007
    broomhandle
    cool bars, but i think i would have to ride it 1st. and i would like more of a monkey style raise to them i think. but nice bike! and where are the other 29ers? just 1?
  • 03-02-2007
    Paul1PA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

    rock on

    Thanks for the replies trauma-md and elgordo! Pleased to hear this since I really like the natural aluminum look. And like you said, they look better longer and easier to maintain. And if you're a weight weenie, a non-painted frame will be a tad bit lighter too.

    Hmmm, just may have to take the Caffeine 29er plunge now! And trauma-md, try to post some pics after your project is finished.

    Paul
  • 03-02-2007
    threesixeight
    build
    trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by trauma-md
    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.

  • 03-02-2007
    threesixeight
    similar
    Maxrep, I just posed a very similar question to Trauma MD. What is your build looking like? What do you suggest for a wheelset?
    Thanks.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I've got a carbon lefty and an F29 on its way right now. Were looking at a 21lb build with all the trimmings. Pictures to come.....

  • 03-03-2007
    MendonCycleSmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by threesixeight
    What do you suggest for a wheelset?

    I'm not Maxrep, but if I were you, Industry 9. All, day, long. Light, stiff, quick, I love 'em. :thumbsup:
  • 03-03-2007
    jdog
    4 Attachment(s)
    Here is mine.
    I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

    Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

    I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

    I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

    ..to be continued.
  • 03-04-2007
    walter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jdog
    I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

    Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

    I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

    I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

    ..to be continued.

    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job
  • 03-04-2007
    jdog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by walter
    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job

    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

    The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

    Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.


    j
  • 03-04-2007
    walter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jdog
    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

    The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

    Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.


    j


    I know, I was just being an ass.
  • 03-04-2007
    skinl19
    I received my frame last week, now I'm waiting on some of the other parts.

    Lefty SL
    XO twist, rear der
    XTR front der
    Marta brakes, 180 front?
    Stans Arch rims
    Hope Pro II rear hub
    C'dale front hub
    Thomson post
    WTB Stealth or Pure V saddle
    Ritchey foam grips
    Ritchey WCS ergo bar ends
    Bar will depend on stem required
  • 03-16-2007
    texastom
    Lock on Grips
    Found this thread from Google search for "brooks lock on grips". Does anyone how they lock on? Seems like it may be from compressing the leather washers, but difficult to tell just looking at pictures.

    Thanks,
  • 03-16-2007
    trauma-md
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by threesixeight
    trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.

    sorry for the delay...I have a Carbon Lefty SL and Industry 9 wheels on the way. otherwise, it is singlespeed with a polished XTR 960 crankset with Blackspire SS ring (ala Jones), Kforce riser, 1 piece SI stem/steerer, Thomson MP post, & Avid Juicy Ultimates. I hope 21 lbs when complete!

    As far as the wheels are concerned, if you have to stick to your budget...go to Stans site and you can build a light set for about $600. www.notubes.com . As Mendon has said, if there is any chance at getting the I9's...DO IT.
  • 03-16-2007
    rzozaya1969
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    Havent seen many Caffeine 29ers so i though i'd share a photo of my new rig.

    Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Took it to MCS for some necessary modifications. Ditched the SRAM drive train in favor of a mix of Shimano XT/LX/XTR dual control, etc. Next up are wheels I9 or King TBD. Cant wait to get it out on a trail should be a lot of fun and a completely different ride from my prophet.

    Gordy

    Very nice bike!
  • 03-16-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Very nice bike!

    hey rzozaya

    thanks. now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!

    gordy
  • 03-16-2007
    Dan Gerous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elgordo
    now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!

    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend. :mad:

    And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night! :p
  • 03-17-2007
    NS2000X
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend. :mad:

    And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night! :p

    Dan you crack me up.
    I guess I should pay a trip to my LBS to see if we have any Carbon's in town yet.
    So far we have about 12cm of snow here since last night. Sucks. :(
  • 03-18-2007
    elgordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I9's will be here soon!

    maxrep sweet rig. what color/rims are you going to run on the I9s?