Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by gribbledot
    top looking rig they shalt not covet but gna hav 2 4 a while cant work out why cdale havnt put this and the capo out in the uk yet .lot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster frm spesh recieved v well good things come 2 those who wait.
    Is your keyboard broken?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Is your keyboard broken?

Priceless
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Translation
    Top looking rig! Thou shalt not covet - but you are going to have to for a while!! I can't work out why cdale hasn't put this and the capo out in the uk yet!?!? .There is alot of media coverage on the 29niners and the langster from specialized was recieved very well.
    Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

Hey peace out !!!!!

Say "Cheese"

Caffeine frame finish question.

Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing!

Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

dh1
    mtbr member

Yeah, I likey the bars too, but

Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    broomhandle. I dont have any better photos of the bars at this time. However they are H-Bars made by Jeff Jones:

http://www.jonesbikes.com/

MCS turned me onto the Jones bar and now I am a true believer Ti goodness and oh so ergonomic
    I will have to sell one of my kids to buy them. $250 for bars

I hope none of my friends buys any. I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist. (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).

Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    I am afraid if I try them on someone elses bike, I won't be able to resist.
    That was his mistake as well

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA
    Nice Caffeine 29er, Gordy! Personally, I like this finish much better than the Blue/White/Yellow combo. Sometimes, understated can be a good thing!

Incidentally, Cannondale calls your color option "RAW". So, I'm curious if your frame is actually natural, polished Aluminum or is it painted a silver color? If natural, does it have a protective clear coat?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1PA

Thanks in advance!

Paul
    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

rock on

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    (trying to think if I have any bad habits I could drop temporarily).
    I like the "temporarily". yeah like MCS said. If you try them you will want them so for you kids sake I recommend saying far far away

mtbr member
    cool bars, but i think i would have to ride it 1st. and i would like more of a monkey style raise to them i think. but nice bike! and where are the other 29ers? just 1?

Say "Cheese"
    Paul thanks so far I'm really happy with it. like Trauma MD said the finish is a brushed aluminum with a clear coat. the decals are under the clear coat. I agree whole heartedly with the understated. Besides MTB get scratched, chipped, etc and I just think the "natural" finished hold up better than paint.

rock on
    Thanks for the replies trauma-md and elgordo! Pleased to hear this since I really like the natural aluminum look. And like you said, they look better longer and easier to maintain. And if you're a weight weenie, a non-painted frame will be a tad bit lighter too.

Hmmm, just may have to take the Caffeine 29er plunge now! And trauma-md, try to post some pics after your project is finished.

Paul
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

Dec 2005

build

trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md
    I have an F29 project happening right now....the finish is a raw brushed aluminum that is clearcoated.

Dec 2005

similar

Maxrep, I just posed a very similar question to Trauma MD. What is your build looking like? What do you suggest for a wheelset?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    I've got a carbon lefty and an F29 on its way right now. Were looking at a 21lb build with all the trimmings. Pictures to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    What do you suggest for a wheelset?
    I'm not Maxrep, but if I were you, Industry 9. All, day, long. Light, stiff, quick, I love 'em.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Here is mine.

I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

..to be continued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbnj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog
    I posted this when I first built it. I now have a bunch of miles on it..

Here is the shocker.. I am thinking of putting gears on it.

I have a Seven Custom SS 26" w/headshok.. I think the 26" works better as a single.

I never have any issue with the 26" but I can't seem to find a gear that works all the time on the 29. I find myself spinning out the 33 x 20 on the flats and choking on the tight turny climbs. I love the 33 x 18 on the 26..

..to be continued.
    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Is that a custom Ti set of bars? Did you build that yourself or did your LBS do it? They did a fabulous job
    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.

j
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbnj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog
    uh.. Well I built it. As you might have guessed I own a shop.

The bars are a set of Seven Cycles 11 degree bend bars. They will bend them in any angle you like.

Just a bit more than the cost of a good carbon bar.

j

I know, I was just being an ass.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    I received my frame last week, now I'm waiting on some of the other parts.

Lefty SL
    XO twist, rear der
    XTR front der
    Marta brakes, 180 front?
    Stans Arch rims
    Hope Pro II rear hub
    C'dale front hub
    Thomson post
    WTB Stealth or Pure V saddle
    Ritchey foam grips
    Ritchey WCS ergo bar ends
    Bar will depend on stem required

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Lock on Grips

Found this thread from Google search for "brooks lock on grips". Does anyone how they lock on? Seems like it may be from compressing the leather washers, but difficult to tell just looking at pictures.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    trauma-md, what build are you doing for your F29? Are you keeping the fork or upgrading to a Carbon Lefty?
    Right now I am trying to figure out a light wheelset for less than 500 dollars. I am considering buying a set of AMClassic 350's and just using the AMClassic rear wheel and keeping the already built front wheel for now.
    As far as I know the lefty front hub is one of only a few lefty hubs available and isn't really all that bad quality wise.
    sorry for the delay...I have a Carbon Lefty SL and Industry 9 wheels on the way. otherwise, it is singlespeed with a polished XTR 960 crankset with Blackspire SS ring (ala Jones), Kforce riser, 1 piece SI stem/steerer, Thomson MP post, & Avid Juicy Ultimates. I hope 21 lbs when complete!

As far as the wheels are concerned, if you have to stick to your budget...go to Stans site and you can build a light set for about $600. www.notubes.com . As Mendon has said, if there is any chance at getting the I9's...DO IT.

Bike to the Bone...
    Havent seen many Caffeine 29ers so i though i'd share a photo of my new rig.

Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Took it to MCS for some necessary modifications. Ditched the SRAM drive train in favor of a mix of Shimano XT/LX/XTR dual control, etc. Next up are wheels I9 or King TBD. Cant wait to get it out on a trail should be a lot of fun and a completely different ride from my prophet.

Gordy
    Very nice bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Very nice bike!
    hey rzozaya

thanks. now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!

gordy

LA CHÈVRE
    now i just need spring! so I can get some trail time!!!
    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend.

And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are not alone elgordo. I have a serious case of 'I-want-spring-to-arrive-to-ride-my-bikes-damn-it' fever but we are supposed to get another snowstorm this weekend.

And I went to my LBS yesterday to get parts for my F1000 and I know I should have stuck by the parts counter then just leave but I wandered in the bike area... and there it was... a Rush Carbon 1..... I didn't sleep last night!
    Dan you crack me up.
    I guess I should pay a trip to my LBS to see if we have any Carbon's in town yet.
    So far we have about 12cm of snow here since last night. Sucks.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast