Prophet converted!

Possible lefty problem? Something rubbing

Yesterday I went over the handlebars at very low speed and on soft terrain (nothing damage that i'm aware of).

When I got back on the bike I heard something that sounded like brakes rubbing against the disc. So today I adjusted the brakes only to find out that it wasnt the brakes making the noise. I removed the caliper and spun the front wheel and it appears the noise is coming from the wheel bearing. I removed the wheel to look for damage and everything looks ok. I reinstalled the wheel, same rubbing noise.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything else I should look for? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    Yesterday I went over the handlebars at very low speed and on soft terrain (nothing damage that i'm aware of).

When I got back on the bike I heard something that sounded like brakes rubbing against the disc. So today I adjusted the brakes only to find out that it wasnt the brakes making the noise. I removed the caliper and spun the front wheel and it appears the noise is coming from the wheel bearing. I removed the wheel to look for damage and everything looks ok. I reinstalled the wheel, same rubbing noise.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything else I should look for? Thanks.
    Odd that its now loud enough to hear while riding. There is two places that make rubbing noises....1. The washer on the large bearing side that is basically locked down by the rotor. 2. The plastic washer between the bolt that holds the wheel on and the cap that pulls the wheel off when turning the bolt. Clean and grease these areas. I can always hear rubbing from these with a quite house and ear close up, but never when riding. Maybe something got in during the fall. And don't feel bad about OTB.....I've been twice and find it amazing how slow one can be going to perform such a feat.

Prophet converted!
    I lube'd her up, took her for a ride, and now she's as quiet as ever.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member

squeaky rubbing sound

Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine

can also come from cables rubbing up against the rubber lefty shock boot.

That one had me going for a couple days.