mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Possible HeadShok or Optimo frame Headset wearage / loosening

I own a Cannondale F1000SL bike with Headshok 80 fork (2001). I hardly used the bike over the years. Recently, I starting using the bike and noticed that there is a little play (back and forth) when I lock the front wheel and put weight on the fork (locked and unlocked).

I have checked the disc brake area, but all is tight. I have checked that the headset is tight and have even attempted to open the fork, but it's too complicated for my lack of fork experience.

I have shown this to some bike mechanics... one said that the inside of the headshok might need to be replaced, while the other two said it's most likely a worn headset.

With no Cannondale dealers in China right now, I have considered taking the bike back to the European dealer but it's not worth the cost of the trip since most airlines charge 200euros each time you fly with a bike. That's 400 euros just to take and return the bike.

I have found the headset for my optimo frame online, but since the headset is machined into the frame, I really do not have any idea of how to remove the old headset and fix the new one.

Cannondale's help is very useful: "Please contact your nearest dealer in Hong Kong". The dealer in Hong Kong is only interested in selling new forks and will not do any mail order services.

Could someone kindly offer their suggestion/s?

What do you think is the source of the problem? The fork or the headset?

The fork works well, and touch wood, is not leaking any air. It just has some play when I touch below the lockout handle area, but I doubt that little play (0.05mm) is the reason for the 5mm or so play coming from the headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hmm, probably it's the headset. Headset machined in frame? Not on my Optimo and probably it's just the bearings you need to change
    http://cerrol.wordpress.com a lightweight blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How?

Quote Originally Posted by cerro View Post
    hmm, probably it's the headset. Headset machined in frame? Not on my Optimo and probably it's just the bearings you need to change
    Let's say i purchase the bearing, how can i change them?