mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Position on bike between Scalpel and Rush.

I have a question regarding the difference in how the rider posture and position be different between a Scalpel and a Rush. I see a lot of Scalpels that have huge drops from the saddle to the bars and a couple Rushes with this set up too.

I was wondering if the difference between the fit of a Rush and a Scalpel, both have flat bars lets say with the same stem length/rise and measurements corresponding to the rider. Will the scalpel have a significantly larger drop to the bars than a Rush?

I'm not a a aggressive rider looking for the ultimate race bike but for the type of riding i do i think either of these bikes will be awesome. I don't want to have such an aggressive drop so that would be a deal breaker on the Scalpel. Hopefully somebody has experience with both and could guide me. Thanks a lot.

LA CHÈVRE
    The bottom bracket is slightly lower on a Rush, even more with the sag and a rider on the bike so even with the same stem and bars, your saddle is usually a bit lower on the Rush so it makes a more upright position. Not by much though.

If that's the only thing pointing you toward one bike or the other, you can easily change the bars and stem to have a racier aggressive position or the opposite... Or pedal with platform shoes of course!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Its funny because the aluminum Rush has a higher BB than the scalpel. I'm really leaning towards the Rush 3 in the color i pictured. Not too many people on here have it? I see a few blue ones and the older gray color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Am i looking at the geometries wrong? Does the Rush 4 have a higher BB than an Scalpel 4?

LA CHÈVRE
    The Rush has a BB height of 12.6" and the Scalpels 12.8" so the Scalpel's BB is higher by a whopping 0.2"... But with the correct sag, the difference gets a little bigger.

ganginwood
    fwiw
    i have both bikes (well older scalpel) and carbon rush

i found that when i was riding the scalpel in certain situations (lets say...a bigger log over on a downhill grade) i was getting thrown over the bars on the exiting side from what seems to be a steeper geometery. on the same trail, over the same log with the rush, my position was never compromised.
    in a similar situation, on very steep downhills with a 90 degree bends at the bottom, i've also been thrown over the bars from a bad position particularly if i came into the turn a little too hot. sure this could be pilot error, but the aggressive position of the scalpel is not to my liking. especially when the rush is no slouch in races. the overall geometery of the rush allows for a rider freindly position on and off the race course. interestingly enough, the caffiene 29er with a short stem and riser bars has been very position friendly.well i guess there would be no surprise with that.

LA CHÈVRE
    The new Scalpels have a slacker head angle. They now are 69.5° while the Rush is 69°. The old Scalpels were 70°...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the help. I guess I'm reading the geometries wrong on the aluminum rush, i wish i could test ride both bikes before i made a decision. I'm probably going to go with the Rush. I'll keep everyone updated.
    I'm looking at the Rush 4 in White. Anyone here have one that i could see a picture?

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I have a rush 1000, had it for just over two years and love it, rode the scalpel at interbike and the night ride with tinker. i like the scalpel better than the rush. its so much more responsive and light as a feather. one thing i really noticed, for being a xc race bike, i felt really comfortable on the bike, just like i am on my rush with the standard fsa risers, if there is a difference, it is minimal to me.