mtbr member
    May 2004

POLL: Best Crank Set for Jekyll

I am thinking about upgrading my crank set. Any ideas as to what I should look at? How is the Race Face Altus for a Jekyll?

Lucifer rides an mtb

Depends on what you want to accomplish

My 3000sx stock BB/crank was Coda expert set up to work with Shimano XTR front and rear deraillieurs. It shifted very well but I had an ongoing issue with BB creaking. About two years ago, after having fixed the creaking noise about 4 times in one season, the mechanic at my LBS got Cannondale to replace it. I asked his advice since he had previously worked as a C'dale race team mechanic and seems to know all the tricks. He suggested I go with XT, which C'dale would replace free and, unless I was really worried about weight and (maybe) a sightly noticeable improvement in shifting, I didn't need to worry about paying a hefty sum for the new XTR BB. Also, his opinion was that XT might actually hold up to abuse better. I left the XTR front deraillieur as-is but eventually had to replace the rear deraillieur after breaking it on a rock. His advice on that was the same - stick with XT. So, I have ended up running an XT BB/crank with XTR front and XT rear deraillieurs. Shifting has been working great - I think it's better to have all the same brand (BB/crank/deraillieurs) since they are made to work together. My shifting is better than what I had when it was a mix of Coda/Shimano. I have now ridden for about 2 seasons (well over 2,500 miles of XC) and have not had the creaking noise since replacing the BB.

I ride therefore I am.

Upgrade from what?

Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    I am thinking about upgrading my crank set. Any ideas as to what I should look at? How is the Race Face Altus for a Jekyll?
    What is on your Jekyll now?
    I have the 2004 XT and have had no problems.
    "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
    Groucho Marx.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllman
    What is on your Jekyll now?
    I have the 2004 XT and have had no problems.
    I have an 04 Jekyll 1000 with the Shimano LX cranks. They work good, but I do notice a little flex when I put alot of force on the pedals.

mtbr member

Race Face

i have had the RF Next LP on my jekyll for 3 years now and many miles. i have it on there with a rf taperlock bb (square taper) it's the best set i have ever used (xt previously on bike) very light, stiff, and no maint whatsoever. no much else you can ask for i rode my buddy's new xtr on his blur and i noticed a big differance as it flexed and creaked. made me appreciate the rf all the more i think that the previous xt on my bike was better than the new xtr---but nothing compared to the rf

hope this helps
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    i have had the RF Next LP on my jekyll for 3 years now and many miles. i have it on there with a rf taperlock bb (square taper) it's the best set i have ever used (xt previously on bike) very light, stiff, and no maint whatsoever. no much else you can ask for i rode my buddy's new xtr on his blur and i noticed a big differance as it flexed and creaked. made me appreciate the rf all the more i think that the previous xt on my bike was better than the new xtr---but nothing compared to the rf

hope this helps
    Thanks,

That helps alot. How much did you pay for both the cranks and the BB?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

RaceFace Next lp are freakin expensive.

I put the new Raceface Deus X-Type on my jeckyll. As light, and as stiff (if not lighter, and stiffer) than XTR, but a fraction of the price. $300 retail..they are on sale for $249 shipped somewhere in the hot deals section of mtbr. The finish holds up better than the XTR too.

mtbr member

FSA Afterburner

I have FSA Afterburner crank and FSA Ultimax BB since I bought my Jekyll in '03. This is probably the best non-carbon XC crank you can buy. And it's pretty cheap too. I had no problems.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I put a set of 2003 XT Cranks (got them for like $70 at Supergo) on and I've been very happy with them. For the money I don't think you can go wrong with LX or XT, both are big upgrades over the flexy CODA Cranks that came on mine.

mtbr member
    i have a 2004 jekyll 600 large. it has the stock cranks (truvativ five-d). i was thinking about putting a bashguard on it. then after reading the reviews of the five-d's i figured i could upgrade them and get a crankset with a bashguard already on it.

i know very little about cranks. i am looking at the holzfeller (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CR702A08) and i can get it for about $150. can i just buy cranks and not a new bb? in other words can I install them on the TruVatiV ISIS splined bb that came with my bike?

i weigh a few pounds over 200 and i ride some technical singletrack with some logs and rocks (the reason for the bashguard), just some "all mountain" riding. I don't really do many drops and I doubt I will ever do much more than a four or five feet.

should i just buy a bashguard for about $30 and wait to upgrade after my five-d's give out or should i use the $30 now to upgrade my whole crankset? also would the holzfeller be a good idea for someone my size, bike, and riding style? or should i get another crank and just put a bashguard on it? if so what do you reccomend? $150 is really about $50 more than I would want to spend.
    Last edited by in the flesh?; 01-05-2005 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have the Race Face evolve XC with a signature XS BB. Is on my bike for 6 months now and am very pleased with it. Pictures can be found here : Evolve XC on Jekyll

mtbr member
    I use Blackspire Freeride cranks with Blackspire super pro chain rings. They are very strong and look awesome !

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I put Race Face Turbine cranks with Isis bottom bracket on my 2000 Jekyll. When that frame cracked, it was replaced with a new 2004 frame and swingarm. The Race Face left side arm was not compatible with the new swingarm; it would hit by the pivot. I switched it out for a TruVativ Stylo team crank, and have been happy with that crank.