Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Plenty of Flash 29 carbon cracked chainstays..

It looks there is plenty of riders out there that ended up with a cracked chainstay on their beloved Flash and worst of all Cannondale did not honor it's lifetime warranty.
    I do apologize about opening this topic but the whole thing turned out as a 15 pages deal on the italian mtb-forum.it,15 pages and still growing as I type. I do understand that bad news like a single broken frame end up infesting the web a lot more than a 1000 perfectly working ones,still this thing about Cannondale not caring about lifetime warranty is quite unnerving.
    Please share your experiences......
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped for sale
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I havent heard any complaints on any carbon issues at all.

Troll?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I havent heard any complaints on any carbon issues at all.

Troll?
    No man,I ain't no troll,I'm from Italy and I'm a member on the mighty mtb forum.it where a related topic has just been opened. By using the search engine here I've found a similar topic here aswell, therefore this topic can be forgotten.
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

banned
    I have sold a 100 of these frames without any issues at all. Did have one break at the seat collar due to the seatpost past min insertion and C-Dale still warrantied it.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Link?

This is the italian one,sorry : GARANZIA CANNONDALE...veritÓ o pacco? - Mountain bike | MTB-forum.it
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Well, according to that link it's "only" 3 or 4 folks who had broken frames, but plenty of friends whose friends of a friend said their cannondale Flash broke.
    Not trying to discredit it, but remember the 2008 scalpel debacle? Took a bunch a folks to break their frames until cannondale came forward with a recall....doesn't surprise me....after the dorel takeover a lot of internal policies have changed....and from what I heard the "Lifetime" warranty has changed in Europe to only 5 years and the owner must prove that the frame broke while riding it the way it was intended to be ridden(??) So we all have to ride around with video cams now so we can have evidence when the frame broke?
    I said this in this forum before that cannondale changed their warranty procedures, and if successful in Europe (From a money saving point of view) yall' can kiss that "lifetime" warranty goodbye in the US as well.
    QC has suffered tremendously after the Asia move and this is what the Rep told me!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Just Ride
    ^lame

Might have to look elsewhere for my next bike then. If this is true that is. All things being equal when it comes to chosing a bike the lifetime frame warranty won me over to cdale when I bought my last bike. Without it, I could just as easily see myself riding something else provided it fits right!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    ^lame

Might have to look elsewhere for my next bike then. If this is true that is. All things being equal when it comes to chosing a bike the lifetime frame warranty won me over to cdale when I bought my last bike. Without it, I could just as easily see myself riding something else provided it fits right!
    I wish i could have read this stuff before puttong down the deposit for my F29 carbon 3 wich is due this week. Tell you what,I'm gonna beat the crap out of this bike now and see how it feels. I don't mean I'll be going DH or AM with it but plenty of trails and the occasional sidewalk jump,that for sure.
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Toro
    If there is a weakness in the stays I would have found it already. Good luck all.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Well, according to that link it's "only" 3 or 4 folks who had broken frames, but plenty of friends whose friends of a friend said their cannondale Flash broke.
    Not trying to discredit it, but remember the 2008 scalpel debacle? Took a bunch a folks to break their frames until cannondale came forward with a recall....doesn't surprise me....after the dorel takeover a lot of internal policies have changed....and from what I heard the "Lifetime" warranty has changed in Europe to only 5 years and the owner must prove that the frame broke while riding it the way it was intended to be ridden(??) So we all have to ride around with video cams now so we can have evidence when the frame broke?
    I said this in this forum before that cannondale changed their warranty procedures, and if successful in Europe (From a money saving point of view) yall' can kiss that "lifetime" warranty goodbye in the US as well.
    QC has suffered tremendously after the Asia move and this is what the Rep told me!
    This post is so full crap, I feel like I need to take a dump.

QC is better then ever, The US made frames sucked and broke far more frequently then the Asian ones. I would never want another US frame after selling and riding the China ones. The frames are soo much stronger and overall better made now.

Ridin' dirty!
    [QUOTE=Spinning Lizard;9885257]The US made frames sucked and broke far more frequently then the Asian ones.

That is only somewhat true...you can't compare only a few years of Asia production with like what...30 years of USA made ones.....maybe in 30 years you might be able to back your statement up with serious data....until then I go by what comes from a Rep, that is more familiar with internal policies than your average "Spinning Lizard".
    Everything he told me before turned out to be true, (Asia move before the Dorel takeover, Lefty SuperMax, closing of Bedford factory etc.) so I really believe this guy more than your biased personal opinion with no data or insight to back things up.....

mtbr member
    This is very rare & Cannondale really try hard to warrant and some of the points stated verify it a friend was once sponsored by C'dale and he was harder than hell on his bike with never a concern. His ex colleagues still work at C'dale & verified it as I now have a hi-mod & F3Carbon.

Flash are not downhill bikes nor stunt bikes, ride it as XC with moderate jumps and it will be fine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    This post is so full crap, I feel like I need to take a dump.

QC is better then ever, The US made frames sucked and broke far more frequently then the Asian ones. I would never want another US frame after selling and riding the China ones. The frames are soo much stronger and overall better made now.

Got to agree. I fully trust Asian workers's discipline and work dedication.
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

LA CH╚VRE
    I wouldn't be concerned too much. You can find a broken frame of any model from any brand. And so far, the Flash have had a very good record, a couple of broken frames worldwide in a few years of production? No reason to be concerned.

As far as warranty goes, it's still a lifetime warranty. There has been a few people with less than perfect experience regarding warranty claims but here again, this isn't the norm. Usually, Cannondale have been very good regarding warranties, often helping people even when they technically didn't have to. The variations here though can change from region to region, from rep to rep but bad experiences are not that common.

And I also think the quality really improved since the manufacturing moved to asia, the manufacturing defects almost disappeared, cosmetic flaws are not as common as before and the warranty return rate of frames went down significantly.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

banned
    [QUOTE=cdalemaniac;9886472]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    The US made frames sucked and broke far more frequently then the Asian ones.

That is only somewhat true...you can't compare only a few years of Asia production with like what...30 years of USA made ones.....maybe in 30 years you might be able to back your statement up with serious data....until then I go by what comes from a Rep, that is more familiar with internal policies than your average "Spinning Lizard".
    Everything he told me before turned out to be true, (Asia move before the Dorel takeover, Lefty SuperMax, closing of Bedford factory etc.) so I really believe this guy more than your biased personal opinion with no data or insight to back things up.....
    Not biased, selling more C-Dale then ever and have had only 1 frame problem in the last 2 years. Before had a warranty at almost 1 per month. Maybe it is just my sampling, but it is what it is.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    in my experience, i saw some broken Flash ...but always on 26".

let's take a look in the italian forum, but the 1st post was a 26" ...

EDIT ...red all the 20 pages ....only 2 broken frames , both 26 "...

Last edited by eliflap; 11-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Ridin' dirty!
    [QUOTE=Spinning Lizard;9886922]
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post

Not biased, selling more C-Dale then ever and have had only 1 frame problem in the last 2 years. Before had a warranty at almost 1 per month. Maybe it is just my sampling, but it is what it is.
    Well, in that case I am more than happy to retract my previous statement about you being biased and don't have any insight or data to back things up....

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post

Ah, a good researcher uncovers the truth. Two frames. Two!

The sound and the fury, signifying nothing...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Ah, a good researcher uncovers the truth. Two frames. Two!

The sound and the fury, signifying nothing...
    Blame it on the google translater.

Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    This is very rare & Cannondale really try hard to warrant and some of the points stated verify it a friend was once sponsored by C'dale and he was harder than hell on his bike with never a concern. His ex colleagues still work at C'dale & verified it as I now have a hi-mod & F3Carbon.

Flash are not downhill bikes nor stunt bikes, ride it as XC with moderate jumps and it will be fine
    I'm with wallstreet on this one. Ride the bike for the purpose it was designed for and I doubt you will have problems. I have witnessed at least two of these frames being abused since day one without issues. I've seen them crashed with paint chipped off and nothing. Structurally sound.

Ride on everyone!
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post

Ok,what about Cannondale lifetime frame warranty that actually turned into a "sorry man,it's your fault,shove it" most of the times ?
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ok,what about Cannondale lifetime frame warranty that actually turned into a "sorry man,it's your fault,shove it" most of the times ?
    Can't speak for a chain stay issue, but my F29 had a seat tube crack and after getting my claim submitted, had a new frame en route within 24 hours. That's superior warranty and customer service in my book.

I still think you're trying to stir the pot based on hearsay. "your fault, shove it, MOST of the times"? Cmon, you can't back up that statement with anything factual? Move on.....

mtbr member
    What this little troll forgets is that we've all had upteen Cannondale's and some of us actually have had to deal with a warranty claim.

They sorted out my faulty frame extremely quickly. I managed to break my rear Mavic SLR and they swapped it over straight away to get me back on my bike as soon as possible (as I'd already had issues). I didn't have to contact Mavic or anything
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Toro
    So, reading the manual, the F29 series isn't supposed to be getting significant air or a rider that's over 300lbs. So, what does that mean to me? I'm 220lbs and I, sometimes, can't help but be airborne. Over 300mm? No, probably never. I'm usually getting little air here and there and landing smoothly. How about rock gardens? Those have the potential to seriously stress a frame from tremendous load cycling.

Am I to understand that I should dismount my Cdale and walk over rock gardens and small drops and jumps? That would suck! I've seen these frames take more than what people have described as being acceptable. Who has raced a Flash frame for a whole season without cracking a stay or a tube?

My F29 is my race bike. To put it in perspective, I will be taking it to French Creek, PA, Rattling Creek, Marsh Creek, Fair Hill, Iron Hill, and Patapsco. It might even see action in Bear Creek. Should I park my bike and use my trusty GT? I think not, but that's the impression I'm getting. I know so many people riding flashes into their third season at these locations without a problem.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast