mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Please dissuade me from drilling a hole into a Rize frame!

I am considering drilling a hole into the frame of my 2008 Cannondale Rize 1 Carbon, in order to accomodate the hose for a Reverb Stealth seatpost.

The idea is to drill the hole in the upper portion of the down tube, near the attachment of the head tube. The hose would then go down the down tube, make a 120° turn just above the bottom bracket, and ascend the seat tube to reach the bottom of the Stealth seatpost.

I should mention that last year I have done something similar to my Yeti alloy bike (see picture), and the frame hasn't (yet) fallen apart.

So, if somebody wants to prevent me from ruining my frame, please voice your reasons - otherwise I will go ahead...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please dissuade me from drilling a hole into a Rize frame!-2013-01-26-11.32.53-copy.jpg  

LA CHÈVRE
    Carbon and alloy isn't the same thing. One thing carbon doesn't like is cutting/drilling through it's fibers, it realley weakens the area... and the downtube/headtube area is one of the spots in a frame that needs the most strength. Some carbon frames have holes in them but they're molded that way, not cut afterwards. And obviously, if you bought it new, you'd lose the warranty. I think that would be taking way too much risks to ruin a frame just to add a little gadget... My two cents.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is there any reason not to just use zip ties other than aesthetics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: Please dissuade me from drilling a hole into a Rize frame!

Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    Is there any reason not to just use zip ties other than aesthetics?
    Well, the main problem with the regular reverb is that the hose is always moving, which has led to multiple breaks of the fitting. The issue is well known. Since I must replace my reverb anyway, I was thinking of going for the stealth version and be done with it. The stealth needs a hole since the hose is internal to the tube and must get out somewhere.

The frame is ca. 5 year old and had taken a lot of abuse already, I am planning to ride it for another 2 years and then replace it anyway - but I wouldn't want to trash it right away either. ..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Don't do it. Use velcro and ty-raps on frame to protect the fittings and keep the cable from moving.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Well, the main problem with the regular reverb is that the hose is always moving, which has led to multiple breaks of the fitting. The issue is well known. Since I must replace my reverb anyway, I was thinking of going for the stealth version and be done with it. The stealth needs a hole since the hose is internal to the tube and must get out somewhere.

The frame is ca. 5 year old and had taken a lot of abuse already, I am planning to ride it for another 2 years and then replace it anyway - but I wouldn't want to trash it right away either. ..
    Ahh ok, well thats a problem worth putting some thought into then.
    you may be able to find a spot that has very minimal stress on it, usually already thin areas though.
    My other thought is you could sand through the finish and re-enforce the area you drill with some more carbon fiber, or fiberglass. (Won't look pretty)

you may be able to resin in a Grommet. If you feel like researching it more, i would recommend seeing how world cup sailboat racers handle it in their rigging and masts. There's a lot of engineering that goes into figuring compression and tension loads of CF and what layups will handle them.

for record: i used to build all kinds of prototypes with glass and CF, but we had an engineer that would tell us how to build it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the rize carbon down tube inserts into an aluminium bottom bracket / aluminium seat tube. i'd target those areas for drilling over the carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    the rize carbon down tube inserts into an aluminium bottom bracket / aluminium seat tube. i'd target those areas for drilling over the carbon.
    Even better

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dear Parkincake, thank you for your suggestion. Indeed the aluminum insert may be the safest spot. On the other hand, I have seen people drilling a hole next to the head tube, and that would make for a cleaner setup - IF stability is not overly compromised (and granted, that's a BIG IF!).

Dear SAthirtythree, I do not think that my skills are sufficient to repair the hole with additional fiber. But, really, is it really likely that a 4mm hole on the side of the upper (carbon) segment of the down tube will destabilize the entire frame? Consider that I am a 52yr old medical doctor and, while I regularly do 6'000m ascent weekly, I do not do any crazy downhill stuff and usually cruise on (relatively comfortable) fire trails in the woods...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    take a look at eliflap's flash on the picture thread - he drilled the head tube area to fit shimano Di2. he's a clever guy, so might be worth picking his brains!!!