Thread: play in lefty

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

play in lefty

I notice that there is some play in the inards of my lefty. I can feel the wheel shake and when I did the last bearing reset I noticed the shaft that goes all the way down had some back and forth play in it. Is there an easy fix to this or is this something I need to send out to get serviced? Also, is it ok to ride in the meantime? Will I be doing further damage to it? I had the entire thing rebuilt 2 years ago and cost me an arm and a leg. Hoping thats not the case. Thanks for any advice in advance.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wheel shake may be the bearings in the hub. Either worn, or you need the shim fix on the disc side bearing, that's somewhat common.

Looseness in the fork itself, can be another matter. Two years ago is a good time span for a service. It's likely time again, FWIW.

Bearing resets are a good first step to seeing if it's a problem, but if it still feels weird, it';s likely something else entirely.

What fork? Coil sprung? if so, checked your preload rings lately?

As for rebuild cost, if it was really high, it's likely you had other damage internally, and thus, more parts replaced. A service should run more than 60 to 80 bucks unless there's major problems.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hello and thanks for your reply. I am certain it is not in the wheel, it has been replaced. The fork is a lefty speed on a 2006 Rush. I have never done more than the bearing reset myself so I'm not sure where the preload rings are. Are these pretty user serviceable and if so, where can I find the parts? $60-80 sounds reasonable. Last time it had to go back to cannondale and cost close to 300.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey g, I just rebuilt my lefty, ( carbon dlr speed), I did not open the cartridge, although I have a spare one, and that's my next project. Without the fork tools, I can't imagine how you would ever work on one of these things. The wobbling cartrige when the top cap is unthreaded sounds like the cartrige itself is loose. You need a castle nut type tool to tighten it. I wouldn't ride it with that part loose, it's going to kill the threads for sure. The bottom of the cartrige threads into the lower of the fork. I don't think the fork would feel loose though, just the damping action would be crap. If the whole fork feels loose, you are going to have to send it in, or look at the pics from the lefty thread and give it a try. It was nearly impossable, even with the tools. I feel more confindent now after doing it, but the first time was pretty crazy. I am a millwright, and have worked on all bikes for at least 15 yrs, and i was scared.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gibblets
    I'm not sure where the preload rings are. Are these pretty user serviceable and if so, where can I find the parts? $60-80 sounds reasonable. Last time it had to go back to cannondale and cost close to 300.
    Yours has no preload rings, so that's a non issue.

They aren't very end user service friendly, but some folks do it themselves. Otherwise, seek out a local shop that works on them, or one of the places around the country that services them by mail.

Cannondale does nice work, but often replace everything on the fork, regardless of it's condition, this adds up fast in cost for sure. But $300 sounds extreme. As I said before, sounds like you had some other issues in there that needed fixing too.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com