mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Pivot less Stays on Carbon scalpel

Can someone give me a ride review of how the rear end of a scalpel rides with no pivots? Looking at getting a 2014 Team and wanted some feedback to how it rides, please elaborate the pro and cons.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Been riding my 2014 Team for about 2 months now.

The Team Scalpel is First and foremost a " race bike " , Lean and mean. The rear is stiff laterally and by no means a plush pig. It rides like the best XC bike should ride.....confidently efficient.

I get full use of the 100mm of rear travel and never wanted more. The RS lock-out completely locks the front and rear turning the Scalpel rigid.

If your riding preference is XC......You've reached the pinnacle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Been riding my 2014 Team for about 2 months now.

The Team Scalpel is First and foremost a " race bike " , Lean and mean. The rear is stiff laterally and by no means a plush pig. It rides like the best XC bike should ride.....confidently efficient.

I get full use of the 100mm of rear travel and never wanted more. The RS lock-out completely locks the front and rear turning the Scalpel rigid.

If your riding preference is XC......You've reached the pinnacle.
    No after plush at all but don't want a hard tail either. I've been on 3 Epics and ready to look outside for other options before I invest.

How about pedal bob when not locked out?
    I assume the lockouts and fork work well and don't nose dive on the descents.

I actually want a nice ride and never touch lockout except when I know it will be a long hill or fire road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I actually use the lock-out quite a bit and depending on where I'm riding, may even run the rear sag at 30%.

I really like the simplicity of the Team.....air volume and rebound adjustments then ride.

I had a Flash carbon 1 which I loved, The Team behaves similar but allows me to sit and spin which I prefer.

I'm a light rider "160" and can't feel pedal bob with the recommended sag 25%.

Dial it in.....you won't feel like your on a HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pros: Stiff, 100mm travel, hardly a weight penalty, stiff, lockout is effective, pedal bob is negligible, you will be faster compared to a 26" Scalpel, stiff for a 29 FS, good resale, a pure bred race machine.

Cons: Only room for one bottle, Monarch will blow out during the season, expensive, a pure bred race machine that does not settle down for easier rides, requires constant attention.

If/when Cannondale comes out with a 27.5 Scalpel, I'll be the first one signed up. Until then, the Scalpel 29 has to be in the top 3 if not THE top when it comes to XC race full suspension 29er course killers. You will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by natehack View Post
    Pros: Stiff, 100mm travel, hardly a weight penalty, stiff, lockout is effective, pedal bob is negligible, you will be faster compared to a 26" Scalpel, stiff for a 29 FS, good resale, a pure bred race machine.

Cons: Only room for one bottle, Monarch will blow out during the season, expensive, a pure bred race machine that does not settle down for easier rides, requires constant attention.

If/when Cannondale comes out with a 27.5 Scalpel, I'll be the first one signed up. Until then, the Scalpel 29 has to be in the top 3 if not THE top when it comes to XC race full suspension 29er course killers. You will not be disappointed.
    I think you guys should do a you tube video of the rear suspension and make it compress. I'd love to see how those stays flex etc..

I'd ask less questions if I could find one around in the area..