mtbr member
    Sep 2012

picked up a flash have a few questions

just picked up a barely used 2012 cannondale flash alloy(had about 10 miles on it). I upgraded from a 2012 trail sl3. love the bike but had a question about the lefty. the guy who owned it before me had the shop set it up for his weight 240 and I am about the same. the fork is stiff enough but with the rebound all the way maxed the fork still feel kind of bouncy to me. I know nothing about these forks so I wasn't sure if there is anything I can do to get a bit more rebound dampening out of it. I also wasnt sure about the maintenance on the fork. My local cannondale dealer kind of sucks and I only want to bring the bike there if I have to.

PS, got the bike for only 1k

Norðwegr
    Cannondale has an app called Tune Your Ride that you could check out, not sure if it's out for android as I have it on my iphone and ipad.

As long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure you can set it up as you like, I'm a fairly light rider at 70kg, but I have my suspension set up as though I was 15kg heavier because that's the way /I/ like it.

Read the manual and find your shockpump

mtbr member

Check also the air setting on your fork. As you haven't mentioned that, don't just take what they said is the setup. After a year it needs checking for certain and air added. Nice bike welcome to the Flash

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I believe the starting point for air pressure is 75% of your body weight. Just for shits and giggles,try turning the dial the other way and see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the replies!

are these fork suppose to feel a bit bouncy even on full rebound setting, if I turn it left all the way the thing is like a pogo stick. I can tell a difference but still feel like its bouncy.

LA CHÈVRE
    As others said, make sure the air pressure is good for you. 75% body weight is just a starting point, personnaly, I always start by setting whatever pressure gets me a correct sag. For XC, 25% is a good starting point.

Then, play around with rebound, not in your living room, go ride a trail... and bring your shock pump so you can also play around with the air pressure if what you put is too much or not enough.

If you can't get a proper rebound setup, you can probably tune it by changing the oil viscosity or by playing with the shim stack... but that's a bit more involved than just turning a dial and I'm by no mean an expert about that. Perhaps someone 'COUGH COUGH, MendonCycleSmith, COUGH' can add about what more can be done...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i also see i can replace the stem with something a bit shorter. looks like a 1.5 steerer, does anyone know how short of a stem I can go with before i hit the fork?

mtbr member

I
    Quote Originally Posted by dubstatic View Post
    i also see i can replace the stem with something a bit shorter. looks like a 1.5 steerer, does anyone know how short of a stem I can go with before i hit the fork?

60-80mm but no shorter - this creates more direct feel to steer. Go for 80-90 first see if you can try before you buy.

mtbr member
    I have no idea what mine is actually setup as. I just fiddled with it until I was happy with it. It was a case of riding a piece if single track, fiddling, riding it again, fiddling and so fourth.

Welcome to the Flash owners club haha You got yourself a fine ride at a good price!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dubstatic View Post
    Lefty and Headshoks don't have 1.5 steerers, it's a specific size (something like 1.56, it was there before 1.5 steerers existed and the size makes sense in metric) so you need a Lefty stem... You can also flip the stem to point down if it sits too high.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    shortest stem length w/ lefty

I found this which may answer a little part of your query.

Happy Trails
    Cannondale's Tune Your Ride App for 240 pounds total (rider and gear) for a 2012 Flash-1 alloy 29'er with Lefty PBR alloy fork *90mm recommends 167 PSIG. Also check sag, the distance your fork compresses when statically loaded (gentle sit on it with weight evenly distributed fore and aft) ... you should sag about 25% of the fork travel ... 22 mm.

Also you should learn about re-setting the fork. (It sounds worse than it is.) LBS check out is probably a good idea.

Nice score on the bike. Anybody who sells a year old Flash for a grand either a) gets them for free or b) hardly ever rides it ... and it looks like (b) for you. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Lefty and Headshoks don't have 1.5 steerers, it's a specific size (something like 1.56, it was there before 1.5 steerers existed and the size makes sense in metric) so you need a Lefty stem... You can also flip the stem to point down if it sits too high.
    I stumbled upon this at my favorite store: Cannondale Supermax Lefty 1.5" Large Frame Steerer - KH118/122HT - CannondaleExperts.com

Maybe what he's talking about.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"