mtbr member

Picked up a '11 RZ120 four

(I added updates at bottom of thread)
    I picked up an RZ 120 four for my kid (happy 10yo, soon to be 11).
    This is a made in Asia model as it has a very small made in Taiwan sticker at the BB.
    As I have the Rize 140 (size large) to compare it to, I'll include some comparisons.

First off was the build process. I took pretty much the whole bike apart and applied loctite to critical suspension fasteners, yes they already have the "dry" type from the factory but I have found that type to often be insufficient. A little worrisome was the rear swingarm didn't move completely freely through it's arc with the shock removed, having a small 'kink' at both the lower and upper travel range. This kink went away when a few of the link bolts were loosened during my disassembly. On reassembly I was extra careful to get the link bolts tightened properly and some of the 'kink' remained once the bolts were tightened completely. I doubt that it will be of performance concern on the trail, very minor in the big picture of 'things'. Just a note to myself about maybe dwindling or loose quality controls (sorry, Cdale). I don't recall any added friction on my Rize 140 when I went through the same type of 'build' process.

Next up, once the bike is fully reassembled...... it's rather heavy for a XC machine....... I think 33lbs. for this size small with all the stock components on there, but then it's a lower priced bike.... retailing at 1,500 or so. I have already made weight cutting measures by installing alloy middle and small chain rings and a higher grade BB.... both parts I had 'laying around'. ...... The Deuce 15qr. fork is heavy....... scratching my head on when to upgrade that. The fork does seem to offer good performance.

The next issue I had to deal with was the X-Fusion rear shock had way too much compression damping (I guess for my tastes, per X-Fusion)..... the rear suspension didn't respond to bumps when sag was set properly, only moving when I jumped off something or pushed down hard with my body weight. So, X-Fusion lowered the compression damping per my request and so far so good, it has become a more plush ride. Also, it seems they have somehow turned the lockout lever into a kind of (shall I say) Propedal where it doesn't lock out the shock completely any longer (thanks!). No need for lockout on my Rize 140, I see no reason for lockout on the RZ120. Moving the "rebound" red dial seems to change both the rebound and compression when adjusted, not sure if this was their intended modification after the servicing, but this is a rather simple shock (so, I will be thinking of the red dial as a damping adjustment rather than just a rebound adjustment, coupled with the now "propedal" I think it will work just fine now).

My overall impressions of this bike are I like it, minus some of my concerns here. Although, I'm liking my Rize 140 more (because it's lighter..... but, it was more expensive). The Shimano brakes on the 120 are impressive so far (yes, it has a 180mm on the front over my 160 on my Rize). The 15QR fork with 1.5 steerer definitely feels more solid compared to my Rize 4 setup (maybe too solid). I don't plan on riding this bike much, just setting it up for my kid to ride (yes, a lucky kid everyone is telling me).

At this point I am only writing with little actual riding the bike. More to come.

..... and WOW!, after riding the RZ120 with changes made (as in picture #1 below) with my old XTR cassette, plastic body pedals and 1.95" super light weight tires it is down to 30.6lbs. and it rides really really nice, I'm thinking the suspension performance feels better than my 140 Rize right now, feels plush with good bottom out performance, just what I look for with my 140 (which I can't really peg down most of the time).... I could drop more weight if I really wanted to ($) but with light tires my kid should be moving pretty well on it... as he rides it (in picture #2)...... (picture #3) is my Rize 140 fitted with 2 pound tires (and HG-50 cassette) to "level the playing field" which brings my Rize up to 32 lbs. on my scale.

I'm now wondering if I can change my Rize to a 120 by switching the link/shock/etc.... I think I like the way the smaller length shock on the 120 "ramps up" quicker. Or not, ..... I guess a better shock tune on my Rize and a better front fork could also be an option. (just dreaming here)

Good Times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-untitled-1.jpg  

Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-untitled-1a.jpg  

Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-untitled-1aa.jpg  

Last edited by kneejerk; 02-22-2014 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Seriously what a lucky kid you have there

I agree 33lbs(!) is quite heavy for an XC / endurance bike, but it's a good training for his legs!

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011

Hi kneejerk

Hello from Mexico, I have the same model but the last year 2010, my bike has a stickers that said made in usa, I would like to know if the build process change from one year or another, and I'm agree with you about the rims and the drivetrain is too heavy, I would like to know if is convenient improve the drive train and rims. And the RST works well when you adjust with low rebound and less air pressure,
    I'm sorry for my english.

mtbr member
    Was there a reason you put the rear shock on the 120 like that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1600
    Was there a reason you put the rear shock on the 120 like that.
    I think its like that to be able to access the water bottle cage. I also think it comes like that from the factory.

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011

Hi Dkestar

I have the same size, and the rear shock is in a normal position, but in the manual said that must be in the other position.
    regards

mtbr member
    Here is mine, this is how mine was on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-bbg-012.jpg  

mtbr member
    I see now, the medium and bigger frames mount it like mine, and the small are mounted the other way.

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011
    Hi gsxr1600, what happend if the small frame has the shock like yours bike, could it damage the frame? Because my bike has the shock like yours and is a small size

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeco
    Hi gsxr1600, what happend if the small frame has the shock like yours bike, could it damage the frame? Because my bike has the shock like yours and is a small size
    Yes, if the size small has the shock turned around like my Rize (large) the barrel may (or will) pinch against the top tube during travel. I did turn the adjuster knobs to the top to make it a little easier to get to a water bottle w/o bumping them, although this made the shock fiddling a little more difficult (maybe).

mtbr member
    Hello from Mexico, I have the same model but the last year 2010, my bike has a stickers that said made in usa, I would like to know if the build process change from one year or another, and I'm agree with you about the rims and the drivetrain is too heavy, I would like to know if is convenient improve the drive train and rims. And the RST works well when you adjust with low rebound and less air pressure,
    I'm sorry for my english.
    You can always make the bike better with lighter or better parts. It becomes a matter of how much money you want to spend. At the price of this complete bike it is on par with some frame sets available. I think the performance is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1600
    Here is mine, this is how mine was on.
    Just noticed from your picture that your chain may be too short!....... it looks to be pulling the rear derailleur to its maximum without the suspension being compressed. Most rear suspension systems will pull the chain when it travels, which will render the rear derailleur to its maximum and potentially bend or break violently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk
    Just noticed from your picture that your chain may be too short!....... it looks to be pulling the rear derailleur to its maximum without the suspension being compressed. Most rear suspension systems will pull the chain when it travels, which will render the rear derailleur to its maximum and potentially bend or break violently.
    the chain looks fine

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011
    Yes, if the size small has the shock turned around like my Rize (large) the barrel may (or will) pinch against the top tube during travel. I did turn the adjuster knobs to the top to make it a little easier to get to a water bottle w/o bumping them, although this made the shock fiddling a little more difficult (maybe).

Hi Kneejerk, please see the picture, I dont know if I must change the side of the shock.
    Thank you for your reply
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-imag0054.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi Kneejerk, please see the picture, I dont know if I must change the side of the shock.
    Thank you for your reply
    Mount your shock the other way if your frame is a small.

mtbr member
    I shorten the chain because i have one ring up front and was gonna run two bashguards and didn't want to drop the chain, but the inner guard rubs the frame, so i put the derailleur back on for now to keep the chain from coming off, but the chain is fine like that.

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011
    What comments do you have about the rize?
    Regards

Mr. Yeco
    Jan 2011
    What comments do you have about the rize?
    Regards

mtbr member
    Here he is after a bit of mud today. The fork is on the stiff side for him, not moving much. At 65lbs. he will need to grow into this bike. I may try a lighter weight fork oil soon, if I can dig up info. on changing it out. The shock works fine for him. I set pressures at 40psi. front (which barely doesn't extend the fork completely) and 55psi. in the shock. It was his first day trying some decent climbing on the bike trails. I hope I don't blow his knees out at a young age!

I had fun riding my rize with the biggest tires I've tried (also the heaviest), felt life I was riding a steam roller out there (as pictured in my first post, with my 30mm wide WTB rims fitted with big knob Kenda's). I'm a bit of a "weight weenie" usually going for light weight stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-trim.jpg  

Last edited by kneejerk; 01-16-2011 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Thank you for your reply
    Yes, size small should have the shock turned around the other way.

mtbr member
    Update for this: Kid is now 14yo and just over 110lbs. I've changed out the suspension to a Fox 140 up front and a Rock Shox out back, the 140 fork is only fractionally taller than the original RST120 (actually the RST120 can easily be converted to 140 internally), the Fox fork switch has cut almost a 1/2lb. off bike weight. kid is about 5'4" now and the bike is fitting good.
    Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-rz.jpg
    Last edited by kneejerk; 02-25-2014 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member

pivot bearing damage

Well, discovered a pivot bearing come apart on the top of the seat stay on 100lb. rider (kids) RZ120 yesterday. Remember that "kink" in the rear suspension I discovered at my initial assembly of the bike!... kinda makes me suspicious! Looks like I will be looking for some new bearings and some new hardware very very soon... bike out of commission for now.
    Picked up a '11 RZ120 four-4_25_14-002.jpgPicked up a '11 RZ120 four-4_25_14-003.jpg

Helmetless Crasher
    This is a 3 yr old bike, right? That is exceptional sus bearing longevity.

Mine did not last a year.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I've got a 2008 140 with no such problems, yet... but, I am ordering some spare bearings... just incase the day comes sooner rather than later..
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    This is a 3 yr old bike, right? That is exceptional sus bearing longevity.

Mine did not last a year.

mtbr member
    Well, I ordered replacement hardware kits and Enduro bearings to fix this problem. Strangely the Enduro bearings are a few thousandths smaller in the outer diameter which made them slide into place rather than press fit. So, I installed them with medium strength loctite in hopes that would hold them in (time will tell). I used the Enduro bearings because they are of a higher grade with more ball bearings inside. No more "kink" noticed after installing the new bearings. Hoping this holds it for a while! I'll take it apart again as a regular check to see how it's going. I believe Cdale recommends checking the bearings every 25hrs. of use. Something I need to consider in the future and something my 2008 is definitely "due" for!