mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Pic review riding my Jekyll 2 carbon.

Had about a weeks time on my new Jekyll now and I have to say I am really impressed with the bike, with the flip of the travel switch it climbs like a goat and when you open it back up on the downhills the bike shreds.

Heres some pics of the bike and a few pics from riding today.

The first day I got the bike last week 29.3lbs of all mountain goodness.

At the top of one of the many climbs.

Natural berm wall we messed around on while cooling down from a climb.

Natural speed jump on the way back down.

railing a nice corner

quick video

Overall I am very happy with the bike, It is just what I was looking for. It climbs better then any bike I have ridden and descends fantastically. The bike is controlled predictable and with the low BB is a joy through the corners.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    NICE MAN!!! SWEET PICS!!! looks like you are really enjoying the jekyll...

Life is Short...Ride Hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.rider View Post
    The first day I got the bike last week 29.3lbs
    This seems really heavy for a carbon bike. How much does the Jekyll 3 weigh? anyone know?

However I am still incredibly jealous!! I have been drooling over this bike for a few days now. I want one!!!

Not to get to personal, but I will be replacing a $650 hardtail with one of these, and I just wonder how you all pay for these $4000 bikes! Do you just save up $4k or do you throw it on a visa card? Paying with credit could make the bike cost twice as much after interest on a cc. Just crazy and need a financial plan of attack because come hell or high water im getting a Jekyll!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post
    This seems really heavy for a carbon bike. How much does the Jekyll 3 weigh? anyone know?

However I am still incredibly jealous!! I have been drooling over this bike for a few days now. I want one!!!

Not to get to personal, but I will be replacing a $650 hardtail with one of these, and I just wonder how you all pay for these $4000 bikes! Do you just save up $4k or do you throw it on a visa card? Paying with credit could make the bike cost twice as much after interest on a cc. Just crazy and need a financial plan of attack because come hell or high water im getting a Jekyll!!!

Keep in mind there is an extra 2 lbs of weight on the bike from my handle bar and seatpost, for a 150mm travel bike 29lbs is plenty light for the riding I do.

the alloy Jekyll with the factory build will probably be around 28lbs depending on size.

As far as buying the bike goes I have been saving for a long time and it was my college graduation present to myself from myself and everyone I know how sent me a card with a few $ in it.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Graet Bike,
    As i said in another post, part from the color of the brakes, the other think that i don'i like very much are the tyres. they are light for the size, but in hard pach, i don't feel confidence when i take a very fast corner.
    Alex

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-Shooter View Post
    Graet Bike,
    As i said in another post, part from the color of the brakes, the other think that i don'i like very much are the tyres. they are light for the size, but in hard pach, i don't feel confidence when i take a very fast corner.
    Alex
    The nobby nics are a tire that takes some getting use to in the corners. Unlike a kenda which has a more consistent point when they will break loose these tires tend to have a less consistent point where they cut loose. White grips came on the carbon 1 those did not last very long! Looks like they are doing away with the kawasaki green color on the carbon 1 for 2012, really stands out.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Graet Bike,
    Alex
    I am not a fan of the white either, but I could care less, they work and that's all I need. The tires on the other hand I was skeptical about at first, but after riding them I am very impressed I think they grip better then my minions or nevegals and are more predictable to throw into a hard corner. The low rolling resistance was a welcome surprise as well.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, first was the color, i don't like it, but then, the elixir start to fail and don't stay regulated. the calipers stay in place 2 hours and then they start to touch the rotors. The other problem is the loud noice they make when you brake. If you search in this forum, 50% or more of the elixir users are very happy with them, but the other half have a lot of problems with them.
    I change them for the new Shimano XTR 2011 all mountain version, with 180mm rotors, and i couldn't be happier. A lot of power, control, they are very nice and IMHO much better that the elixir cr.
    I live in Santiago-Chile, here it's very dry all year. So the tires work great in everywhere except here, where it's too dry and hard, the Panaracer Rampage 2,35 works better in this terrain.
    Alex

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, first was the color, i don't like it, but then, the elixir start to fail and don't stay regulated. the calipers stay in place 2 hours and then they start to touch the rotors. The other problem is the loud noice they make when you brake. If you search in this forum, 50% or more of the elixir users are very happy with them, but the other half have a lot of problems with them.
    I change them for the new Shimano XTR 2011 all mountain version, with 180mm rotors, and i couldn't be happier. A lot of power, control, they are very nice and IMHO much better that the elixir cr.
    I live in Santiago-Chile, here it's very dry all year. So the tires work great in everywhere except here, where it's too dry and hard, the Panaracer Rampage 2,35 works better in this terrain.
    Alex
    Ya I hear ya, the elixirs are a pain to set up, I have 5 sets of them 2 sets were perfect out of the box but the others took some tricks to get bleed ad set up just right.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Really nice bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post

if you can't come up with the cash, as long as you have good credit, it's easy to find a cc that offers a year of no interest and no payments. then, just wait till the last week, before the offer expires and pay it in full. and, you get the bike now. hell, you actually make money on the loan in this case. I do this all the time with watches, even though i almost always have the cash on hand. i'll admit it's not as easy as it used to be, to find cc companies that offer this, but there are still a few out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    "and I just wonder how you all pay for these $4000 bikes"

Mr. "Cardinal" Lvillefan,

You just go and buy it and explain it to your wife later when she sees a big chunk of money missing in the checking account.

Seriously though, most bike shops have some kind of payment plan (I'm not sure how it works), outside of cc. Just ask.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is always something you care less about that you can ditch or skimp on to be happy with your new bike. You only live once for a short while!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Any changes from 2011-2012

Hi Guys

Been reading these reviews with great interest!
    I can get a brand new 2011 Jekyll Carbon 2 at a really good discounted price compared with a new 2012.
    Are there any major changes or issues between the two?

Any info would be great and, how have the bikes been holding up!
    Stoked and cant wait.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice pics man! Wish we had forests like that here!