mtbr member
    Jul 2009

PF30 bottom bracket, how long yours last?

I know the PF30 BBs are suppose to save weight and work better, but in my experience they don't last long, on my Scalpel 29er at least.

Had my first one serviced after a few rides when new (loud creaking, lack of grease by the factory) and replaced after 7 months (the drive side bearing's toasted). Now just replaced the 2nd one again no more then 3 months (non-drive side this time).

I haven't been riding much, maybe just 1 or 2 rides a week on the Scalpel, and here in Socal we don't see much rain. On the other hand the PF30 on my Supersix EVO seems fine so far after 1600 miles.

BTW I'm running the SRAM PF30 unit that came with the bike (steel bearings)? Anyone got any info on the Cannondale alum sleeve PF30 (read it on the 2013 catalog)? I just hate visit my LBS every other month for this issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    I know the PF30 BBs are suppose to save weight and work better, but in my experience they don't last long, on my Scalpel 29er at least.

Had my first one serviced after a few rides when new (loud creaking, lack of grease by the factory) and replaced after 7 months (the drive side bearing's toasted). Now just replaced the 2nd one again no more then 3 months (non-drive side this time).

I haven't been riding much, maybe just 1 or 2 rides a week on the Scalpel, and here in Socal we don't see much rain. On the other hand the PF30 on my Supersix EVO seems fine so far after 1600 miles.

BTW I'm running the SRAM PF30 unit that came with the bike (steel bearings)? Anyone got any info on the Cannondale alum sleeve PF30 (read it on the 2013 catalog)? I just hate visit my LBS every other month for this issue.
    I am using the "SRM" aluminum sleeved PF30 BB on mine and I haven't had problem since. Although my FSA BB did kinda go sour within 4 months of serious riding/racing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the info. The SRM ones will fit on the Scalpel no problem? Just looked it up they are not a complete sleeve, more just like a cup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    Thanks for the info. The SRM ones will fit on the Scalpel no problem? Just looked it up they are not a complete sleeve, more just like a cup?
    No problem. These are the ones that the some of the 2013 PF30 bikes are coming with.

The other good part is that the bearings are removable!