Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Perp Owners - Please Help

OK hopefully you Perp owners can help here. I'm looking to get a DH bike fairly soon, and being a Prophet owner and Cannondale supporter for years, naturally I'm considering the Perp. This bike would purely be used for my local DH bike parks in northern California (Northstar & Mammoth), as well as local secret DH runs. My upper budget is around $3500; although I hope to spend less.

Questions:

- Is the Perp a good choice for me? In other words, can it truly handle steep gnarly trails with large berms, tables, boulders, drops, etc.?
    - What are the main differences between the '07 & '08 models? Do you recommend getting an '07 at discount or is it worth splurging for the '08?
    - What's the average weight you have yours at?
    - Do you feel them to be modifiable or rather limited in upgrade capacity?

Thanks kids!!

Unit 91
    I have spent a season on a Judge and I order a Perp frame today. I thought I would be doing a lot of DH racing, but I more just ride freeride/fast stuff like Diablo Freeride Park. I feel as though the Perp will be a little smaller/lighter and flickable, which is what I am after. The bike is already super over built. For 2008, Cdale just did a more price point Perp version. The higher model is similar to last years except the rear shock and front shock are different I believe. I would say try to get a good deal on an 07' and you'll be happy.

As far as upgrading, they are very similar to other bikes... 1.5 HT's, common shock size (8.75 x 2.75), 150mm rear wheel spacing, 83mm bottom bracket. I'd say go for.
    Bikes

LA CHÈVRE
    The best new feature on the 08 is that they are painted in plain colors, no logos, no decals!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would try to get a discount on an 07 Perp 1 and use the extra cash to swap out the Van R for a DHX 4 or 5. Other than the rear shock its a solid build

Unit 91
    What other rear shocks would you guys recommend? You think a Manitou ISX, Rock Shox Vivid, or Cane Creek DB would be a good choice?
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Judge is Cannondale's DH bike, Perp is for freeride. The geometry is different, and the Perp (as a complete bike) comes with a single crown fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Cane Creek DB would be awesome if you can swing it and the ROCO's are real nice as well. Dont know much about the Manitou or the Rock Shock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The best new feature on the 08 is that they are painted in plain colors, no logos, no decals!
    You know what, I actually love this aspect of the new ones; I love the plain look. Wish I could clean up my Prophet like that!

Anyone know the prices yet for the new ones?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    What other rear shocks would you guys recommend? You think a Manitou ISX, Rock Shox Vivid, or Cane Creek DB would be a good choice?
    I would think the ROCO TST would be the ideal shock for the Perp. Currently I'm riding an AS-X with one and it works awesome. For climbing the shock will nearly lock the rear end out. When going down you have 4 clicks of compression adjustment over a very wide range to work with.

Bummer is that according to the Marz site in 08 the ROCO TST won't be available in 8.75 x 2.75. Although if you call Marz they might swap the TST internals into that size body.

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    You know what, I actually love this aspect of the new ones; I love the plain look. Wish I could clean up my Prophet like that!

Anyone know the prices yet for the new ones?
    Perp 3: $2199.99
    Perp 2: $2999.99
    Perp 1: $3999.99
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dont have my new cannondale catalog with me but IIRC the Perp 2 is the one to get, it comes packin' a totem coil. Then just upgrade the rear shock, if you in good with your LBS you could get away with spending ~3100 or so putting a Marz or Fox DHX 5 on it. Few hundo more if you want the Cane Creek DB

mtbr member
    Good suggestion - the Perp 2 looks to be the best bet for me from Cannondale. My other consideration at the moment is the new Transition Blindside; although this will run a good $700 more. Also looking at some of the 2007 Brodies; like the Damien.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That transition looks real nice, I would love to ride one of their bikes. Personally I would go for the Perp or the Bullit just because I have local dealers for both. You wouldnt go wrong with any of the bikes your looking at. The main thing with cannondale is your going to get a little bit less component wise than you would with most others, but the frames are bullet proof.

mtbr member
    OK; the "freeride" and "downhill" official classifications aside (i.e. Perp - FR, Judge - DH), y'all feel the Perp could handle hitting downhill at a park such as Northstar? Drops, berms, jumps, ladders, boulders, etc. Also, the frames are exactly the same between '07 & '08?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin G; 09-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    if i were you i would try out the manitou revox. i've read some positive reviews of it and if it's anything like my evolver isx6 it would prob be great. I think kevin g is happy with his evolver isx4, and this is basically the coil version of mine i think - that is intrinsic dampening with high/low speed compressionand rebound adjustibility, as well as how progressive it ramps up. And yes, titanium spring to get it light. Sounds expensive, but prob well worth it.

And kevin, i don't think cannondale would issue a freeride bike that couldn't take some serious abuse, so i wouldn't worry about if it can take the beatings. it prob can. I thought about getting a perp1 this year, but i just don't need that much travel. My commencal supreme fr has enough and is more of an all rounder of a bike. I would check commencal out if i were you. They're redesigning their dh/fr bikes for 09 so sweet deals could be had the following the recent and 08 offering. Cedric had the first cannondale promodel (ever?/in a long while), but switched company to ride for commencal. Their bikes are really good, though if a none made in the us bike is deal breaker, don't look any further. I'm really happy with mine and while it is a little heavy, even after all my recent upgrades (all of which are still to get here), it's still a nicer bike than my prophet i think. The rear wheel suspension is more efficient and the adjustable angles up front works a lot better than the prophet's solution of lowering the crank. Don't get me wrong, i love my prophet and prefer if for some uses - but the supreme's just my over all favorite of the two (-though granted it's a narrow margin).

Unit 91
    OK; the "freeride" and "downhill" official classifications aside (i.e. Perp - FR, Judge - DH), y'all feel the Perp could handle hitting downhill at a park such as Northstar? Drops, berms, jumps, ladders, boulders, etc. Also, the frames are exactly the same between '07 & '08?
    For sure! Thats what I plan to do with mine is everything you just mentioned. Have you seen the bike in person? It looks much more burlier then the pictures. Yes, the frames are the same except the colors and decal options are different for 2008.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    So I played with one today at my local shop (first time touching one). It was an '07 Perp 2. Damn is it plush; feels really great. My only potential concern - at least for downhill fast use - is it's higher BB and less slack HT angle. And the cockpit/wheelbase felt tight (I'm 5'10" and was trying out a medium). I bet this geometry is great for slammin' FR over rocks and roots and drops. Guess I need to decide what style I want more. The Transition Blindside is slightly more DH oriented than FR. Anyways, thanks for all the input so far. The '08s seem worth the $500 or so premium over their '07 counterparts due to the component upgrades - i.e. Totem vs. Domain, Juicy vs. Hayes.

mtbr member
    Perp fans: the latest issue of Decline has a review of the Perp 1 (looks like the '07).

mtbr member
    Perp fans: the latest issue of Decline has a review of the Perp 1 (looks like the '07).
    Also MBAction has a test of the 2007 Perp 2 in it's November 2007 issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So I played with one today at my local shop (first time touching one). It was an '07 Perp 2. Damn is it plush; feels really great. My only potential concern - at least for downhill fast use - is it's higher BB and less slack HT angle. And the cockpit/wheelbase felt tight (I'm 5'10" and was trying out a medium). I bet this geometry is great for slammin' FR over rocks and roots and drops. Guess I need to decide what style I want more. The Transition Blindside is slightly more DH oriented than FR. Anyways, thanks for all the input so far. The '08s seem worth the $500 or so premium over their '07 counterparts due to the component upgrades - i.e. Totem vs. Domain, Juicy vs. Hayes.
    Cockpit should feel pretty tight, that you dont want to be streched out for dh/fr. Im 5'7" and I ride a small for dh. The HT will definitly be steeper because it is a true FR bike, but it will be able to do anything DH wise that you can throw at it. If you plan on using it for primarily DH while you get good at FR then you may consider a different bike thats more slack. Thats what I did, I ended up with a Demo 7 because it was a little more raked out and I'm not a freeride guru where I can benefit more from a steeper HT.

Unit 91
    I always thought a 66 degree headtube was slack. The Judge has a 64 degree headtube and according to a lot of people on here, that is sssslllacccckkk. What more do you want?
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Never realized it was that slack. My Demo is 65 degrees and that feels like its way out there.

mtbr member
    Well, the Prophet in FR position is 67.5; so not that far off. Most FR bikes seem to be at 66 and DH ones 65. I guess 1 degree of difference isn't that much, but when coupled with the seat tube angle, bottom bracket height and wheelbase...

Unit 91
    Very true. I am excited to try the Perp to see/feel the main differences from the Judge at a resort.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Lucky you to have both, brother - report back as soon as you rip it up with the Perp!

By the way, if y'all haven't read the Decline article, it's a very positive review. Basically recommends the Perp for medium-paced very technical trails. They acknowledge the FR-oriented cockpit, but say the bike is great for most trails out there - including DH. It may just not rail corners as fast; in other words, I read this as not recommending it as a pure DH race bike, but certainly for DH park recreation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast