mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Pedal recommendations for F29 Carbon?!?

Need some help with pedal recommendations. They'll be going on a new 2014 F29 Carbon Team and it's been a while since I've bought pedals...so I need some advise on what everyone likes and/or dislikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal recommendations for F29 Carbon?!?-dsc03978.jpg  

Helmetless Crasher
    I like my eggbeater 3's w/ Ward Ti spindles. A very light strong and reasonably affordable set-up. Rebuilds are quick easy and cheap. I weigh 220 geared and have never had a problem w/ them over 2 yrs.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

LA CHÈVRE
    Nice bike!!!

Very easy to me: Time Atac XC are, for me and by far, the best mountain bike pedals... Reliable like the Shimanos, easy to clip in and out of consistantly whatever the conditions like Eggbeaters, solid clicks so you really know when your in or out, a little bit of float and weights are okay.

Shimanos are bombproof but weigh a ton and suffer in mud and personally, I hate how they feel (float, need to find the precise tension adjustment to be quick to engage but not unclip when you pedal hard), they're kind of unpredictable. Other pedals who use the SPD style mostly have just the problems of the Shimanos but are not as durable.

Crank Brothers are light and work well with their open design even in mud, snow, sand, but are way too fragile. They just don't last unless you rebuild them frequently and have some luck. The company has good customer service though so when a spring, the pedal body or an axle breaks, they often fix them for free or for cheap.

Looks are interesting on paper but have suffered with durability/reliability issues like Crank Brothers and you need to set their cleats very precisely (shims under the cleats) since they rely a lot on the rubber of your soles for support.

My two cents.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Nice bike!!!

Very easy to me: Time Atac XC are, for me and by far, the best mountain bike pedals... Reliable like the Shimanos, easy to clip in and out of consistantly whatever the conditions like Eggbeaters, solid clicks so you really know when your in or out, a little bit of float and weights are okay.

Shimanos are bombproof but weigh a ton and suffer in mud and personally, I hate how they feel (float, need to find the precise tension adjustment to be quick to engage but not unclip when you pedal hard), they're kind of unpredictable. Other pedals who use the SPD style mostly have just the problems of the Shimanos but are not as durable.

Crank Brothers are light and work well with their open design even in mud, snow, sand, but are way too fragile. They just don't last unless you rebuild them frequently and have some luck. The company has good customer service though so when a spring, the pedal body or an axle breaks, they often fix them for free or for cheap.

Looks are interesting on paper but have suffered with durability/reliability issues like Crank Brothers and you need to set their cleats very precisely (shims under the cleats) since they rely a lot on the rubber of your soles for support.

My two cents.
    Thanks! Can't wait for her to arrive. It took me some time to find one at a dealer in Europe that would ship to me in the states...but after some effort it is on its way. Still don't understand why the U.S. doesn't get the CFR color scheme. I almost went with the 2013 CFR Carbon 1, but ultimately wanted to do the XX1 and Hollowgram cranks...so for the price difference the 2014 was a no brainer.

Thanks for the feedback on the pedals. I was thinking CrankBrothers, but as you said have heard of problems with them. I'll take a look at the Time Atac XC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    BTW...what do you mean with "a little bit of float and weights are okay"

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
    BTW...what do you mean with "a little bit of float and weights are okay"
    Sorry... I meant as two separate things:

1- They have a nice float. Not huge amounts like Speedplay road pedals, but just enough, and it doesn't feel like the cleats are just loose like Eggbeaters, you feel solidly locked in without any play up and down, but a little bit of rotation float.

2- Weights are okay (a bit heavier than Eggbeaters, but their toughness and no need for maintenance makes up for it).

Times are probably the only mtb pedals I have never heard any owners complain about, and most people stick with them once they try it.

mtbr member
    Time are the best, most dependable pedals if you ride/race in mud. They will work forever trouble free. They have float which you may love or like me, absolutely hate. Eggs work in the mud and are lightweight but one day you'll tear the body off the spindle. It will happen eventually. Shimano have the best feel to me but they'll cog with mud. I use Shimano and hit the road when it's muddy.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, float is a thing you like or you don't, but I'm surprised the amount the Times have could annoy to the point of hatred, it's quite minimal in my book. Although my favorite road pedals are Speedplay Zeros which have truely free float, no resistence at all, so I may be squewed when I say Times have minimal float. But now I use Time Atac XC even on my road bike, Speedplays need to be regreased after every rainy ride and the cleats cog up easily if you stop on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Some people love the float, some don't even notice it's there. It drives me insane! I feel like I'm on ice. Time are the ultimate trouble free, will always work pedal but I can't use them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Yes, float is a thing you like or you don't, but I'm surprised the amount the Times have could annoy to the point of hatred, it's quite minimal in my book. Although my favorite road pedals are Speedplay Zeros which have truely free float, no resistence at all, so I may be squewed when I say Times have minimal float. But now I use Time Atac XC even on my road bike, Speedplays need to be regreased after every rainy ride and the cleats cog up easily if you stop on dirt roads.
    Which model of the Time Atac XC do you use on your MTB?

mtbr member
    I really like my Crank Bros Candy 11's but they even say on their site that they have a weight limit of 200lbs. I am under that myself, but could be an issue for others. I have not had them long enough to have the maintenance issues. I don't ride in mud if I can help it. Too many years of racing in it and doing complete bike strip downs after that I try to avoid it at all cost these days. The float in these pedals works for me, but some don't like it.

Super Clyde

Another vote for Time ATAC pedals. I've been using a set since 2002 trouble free. I like the positive engagement and the float. I came from a set of SPD style pedals that were okay, but I definitely like the Times better

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
    Which model of the Time Atac XC do you use on your MTB?
    I've got only one set of the new XC model, they're the high-end XC12 Carbon-Titan, I've moved them on a few different bikes. But I have the previous models on all my bikes now, they work just the same, cleats are unchanged, the XC just have a different body shape to save weight and different retention bars/springs, again to save weight but they're identical in function and feel. I have Atac XS on my CX bike, Atac XS Carbon-Titan on my Scalpel, I even use Time Allroads on my commuter (Atac mechanism on one side, flat pedal on the other).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like eggbeaters like the others but have not had good luck with them in the durability department. I have 3 bikes and run eggbeaters on all of them. 2 mtn 1 road. This spreads the use between them and I still have failures with pedals that are less then 1 year old. Cranks Bros has been ok when it comes to customer service and warranty's. As long as I have a receipt They treat the pedals like they are disposable and just send me a new set. They have not fixed anything for me just sent me new pedals. I had a set of acids that broke a spindle and were only like 6 months old. The shop that I got them from was not able to find a receipt and neither was I. Crank Bros refused to warranty them, and would not sell me an spindle which is all it would have taken to fix the set. They did offer to sell me new Pedals at 50% off which is better then nothing. Seems silly to me to throw them away when they could be repaired and rebuild with a new spindle and bearings for like $10. Crank Bros would not sell me the parts or send me my pedals back.

Crank Bros pedals work great but they are of much lower quality then they were when the eggbeater first came out 10 years ago. Make sure you save your receipt because there is a good chance if you ride a lot you might need it.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Yup to what he said. Crankbrothers are great at replacing things under warranty but I just get sick of things breaking. Especially when nothing bad even happens. You're riding along and suddenly the pedal body is torn off the spindle and still stuck to the bottom of your shoe.
    You almost have to buy two of everything so there is no down time when the first set breaks.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Yup to what he said. Crankbrothers are great at replacing things under warranty but I just get sick of things breaking. Especially when nothing bad even happens. You're riding along and suddenly the pedal body is torn off the spindle and still stuck to the bottom of your shoe.
    You almost have to buy two of everything so there is no down time when the first set breaks.
    I also had Eggbeaters on all my bikes (SPDs back when Eggbeaters didn't exist) and while the company has replaced parts (in my case, the were always just replacing the broken parts, not sending new pedals) and they're easy to rebuild, but I had too many instance of them failing while I was riding, not even because they were hit on a rock or anything. Doing 40km with just one pedal is not the best experience I have had on a bike... and it happened more than once. Last full season I did with Eggbeaters, 4 different pedals broke in about 2 months. The problem with Crank Brothers is that their focus is on cute designs, but in the real world, their stuff is below par, tools are made of too soft metal, pedals don't last, wheels look like toys... So last year I switched to Times on all my bikes, so far so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The strange thing is when I started using eggbeaters back in the mid 2000's they were much better then they are now. I bought several rebuild kits that included a new spindle and bearings and could rebuild them in 10 min. I had several sets of pedals last multiple seasons and back then I only had 1 bike and It got way more miles then mine do now.
    The newer ones seem to break easier, and don't spin as well because they bushings instead of bearings.

PM me

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    The strange thing is when I started using eggbeaters back in the mid 2000's they were much better then they are now. I bought several rebuild kits that included a new spindle and bearings and could rebuild them in 10 min. I had several sets of pedals last multiple seasons and back then I only had 1 bike and It got way more miles then mine do now.
    The newer ones seem to break easier, and don't spin as well because they bushings instead of bearings.
    Actually, old ones used a bushing (crankarm side) and a bearing (near the end cap), they started to use needle bearings instead of the bushing on Eggbeaters/Candies 3 and 11... But I agree, old models were tougher. Things started to go downhill around when the SL got blue springs instead of being all silver.

In theory, needle bearings sounds better than a bushing, but they're badly sealed and needle bearings, by design, do a great job to push the grease out so they need to be regreased almost after each wet ride, otherwise, if too much grease got pushed out through the crappy seal, water gets in, wait too long and they seized completely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I swear my old eggs had 2 cartridge bearings. The newer ones only have 1.

PM me

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I swear my old eggs had 2 cartridge bearings. The newer ones only have 1.
    They have always had an outboard cartridge and inboard bushing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Love my Crank Bros mallet 3s